Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank
After several encounters with sharks in the ocean I figured the rivers were relatively safe. Don't be fooled, I got death mauled by a crocodile the first time I saw one, while traversing the lazy river!

It went into a quick time event that ended before I realized what was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
This game is like, every game.

I was really enjoying, and it turns into tomb raider for 2 hours or so. So good.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

SupremeBovine posted:

Does anyone know how long night lasts versus day? It seems absurdly short, and playing stealthy in constant blinding daylight is pretty lame.

It feels like nights are only half as long as days.

I don't mind. I think the game looks a lot better during the day.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Yodzilla posted:

Oh I know, he was asking "why does it make a noise when I click."

Seems to be a residual leftover from a few missions you get where you have to take pictures of dead bodies.

The orange thing only comes up when you have a body in your line of view with the camera.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There isn't some kind of romance minigame in this game is there? When I first started the game, Dennis was like "hey there are cute girls over there, I have my heart set on just one though" and I totally thought it was going to lead into something like that.

Also, did Shawn from Assassin's Creed write this game's enyclopedia entries too? Or was he always just a pseudonym for some smug, irritating writer in Ubisoft Montreal who thinks he's funny?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, did Shawn from Assassin's Creed write this game's enyclopedia entries too? Or was he always just a pseudonym for some smug, irritating writer in Ubisoft Montreal who thinks he's funny?

I thought the same thing when I first read a few.
You meet that character eventually.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

There isn't some kind of romance minigame in this game is there? When I first started the game, Dennis was like "hey there are cute girls over there, I have my heart set on just one though" and I totally thought it was going to lead into something like that.

God, no. Thank goodness.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

az posted:

You can host a game and pick whatever mission you like?

If there's a button for choosing to be the host on PS3 I don't see it. Not for public co-op anyway. Everyone else gets to be the host but not me!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
You mean you guys haven't unlocked the dating sim minigame yet?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
On Consoles is the map editor limited to "dead" maps. (ie: multiplayer layouts with no AI and no Sharks or animals?)

I saw people placing sharks and crocs in youtube videos and I'm sure those videos were from the PC version, but yeah, was just curious. Because the tool wheel doesn't seem to contain any functions for that. (Although I didn't look too hard or long.)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Man I was really let down by the final encounter with Buck. I understand what they were going for but it was really easy and lasted like fifteen seconds.

And shortly after when when you PRESS X TO CLIMB OUT OF MASS GRAVE it really sucks that there's a radio tower that you probably don't have right next to your objective and it gives you a mission fail if you try to climb it. It even looks like there's a rope line going right into where you need to be!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I will say this about both multiplayer AND 1-on-1 CoOp. It handles netcode poorly.

Multiplayer, you'd maybe kind of expect.

But SamBishop and I (both on the west coast) played Co op, just he and I, and the oddest poo poo happened. Rubberbanding dogs, jeeps driving 30 feet in the air, enemy baddies kinda doing that instajumping from the ground to about 20 feet high 100 times a second...

I don't know about Sam (although I can guess) but I get like 50mb down and 30mb up. So I have to assume it's just poor coding somehow.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That CLIMB OUT OF MASS GRAVE thing was awesomely horrifying, though. I though of it as symbolic, really.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

If only this also meant we could have an immersive map like FC2. I really liked that.

Also, I dunno if this has been asked before, but is there any way to have this game seamlessly switch between controller and mouse/keyboard input? I like to use M/K on foot but drive with a controller. It was great doing that in FC2.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Speedball posted:

That CLIMB OUT OF MASS GRAVE thing was awesomely horrifying, though. I though of it as symbolic, really.

Kind of had a weird moment when you realize that you were only buried under maybe two bodies really could have shown the pile better Ubisoft.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's also a nice pisstake of Homefront, which literally has "Press X to hide in mass grave"

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Feenix posted:

On Consoles is the map editor limited to "dead" maps. (ie: multiplayer layouts with no AI and no Sharks or animals?)

I saw people placing sharks and crocs in youtube videos and I'm sure those videos were from the PC version, but yeah, was just curious. Because the tool wheel doesn't seem to contain any functions for that. (Although I didn't look too hard or long.)

You can't have AI on multiplayer maps in either version, just in the editor.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Cardboard Box posted:

You can't have AI on multiplayer maps in either version, just in the editor.
Yes I understand, I was asking where/how you even place animals or AI? I just can't find it anywhere.. :)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm playing through a second time as a delusional cowboy. Only revolver, lever-action shotgun and injun' bow allowed. (And whisky bombs).
Wishing for a .357 lever action.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Me? I'm going to do my second playthrough as Frank West.

Just a camera, a pistol, a knife, and a bunch of drugs.

I covered wars, you know! :argh:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Every day on this drat island is a bad day, because all I ever use is my AK

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Feenix posted:

Yes I understand, I was asking where/how you even place animals or AI? I just can't find it anywhere.. :)

They should be under the "Gameplay" category in the Add Objects menu.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Speedball posted:

I found the mass grave long before the mission actually cropped up, so I'm actually a little bit disappointed that it was there already and not just for the mission. Hell, it's still there if you go back to the same place afterwards as well.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

My second playthrough will be...

As Captain Walker of Delta Force. Oh, yeah.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm playing through a second time as a delusional cowboy. Only revolver, lever-action shotgun and injun' bow allowed. (And whisky bombs).
Wishing for a .357 lever action.

I wish there was some kinda safari gun. A double rifle in .600 Hyperkill.

Or 4 bore.

:getin:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Something that would make this game so much more awesome would be if, for some of the special syringes you used animal parts instead of more boring plants. Kind of an 'eat their flesh to gain their power' sort of thing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Davoren posted:

Something that would make this game so much more awesome would be if, for some of the special syringes you used animal parts instead of more boring plants. Kind of an 'eat their flesh to gain their power' sort of thing.

That would actually be pretty handy and it would give us more of an incentive to hunt after all bags have been crafted. I like the way you think.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Here's a more calming Far Cry 3 experience:

I was exploring a shady forest near Calvary Point at dawn looking for a glider. Uphill and across the road, I saw a deer, but missed my shot. It went running up a curving valley and I gave chase—the path opened to a field, the rising sun directly in front of me, and ruins to the right.

It felt so tranquil and perfect, especially considering the excellent timing of the exploration music kicking in. I just wish I wasn't playing it on 360 so I could have taken a screenshot. I wish the camera actually saved photos :(

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

f#a# posted:

Here's a more calming Far Cry 3 experience:

I was exploring a shady forest near Calvary Point at dawn looking for a glider. Uphill and across the road, I saw a deer, but missed my shot. It went running up a curving valley and I gave chase—the path opened to a field, the rising sun directly in front of me, and ruins to the right.

It felt so tranquil and perfect, especially considering the excellent timing of the exploration music kicking in. I just wish I wasn't playing it on 360 so I could have taken a screenshot. I wish the camera actually saved photos :(

To contrast this, I just set a cassowary on fire which caused a minor wildfire and killed two guards that I was completely unaware of. Happiness is a warm ratite.

buy a hotdog!
Oct 24, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

It feels like nights are only half as long as days.

I don't mind. I think the game looks a lot better during the day.

Does anyone know if there's been any attempts to change the games timescale? Is something like that possible (such as in Skyrim which is piss easy) or would it break the games scripting? I would like to see longer days/nights, and also have nights darker of course.

buy a hotdog! fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 8, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

buy a hotdog! posted:

Does anyone know if there's been any attempts to change the games timescale? Is something like that possible (such as in Skyrim which is piss easy) or would it break the games scripting? I would like to see longer days/nights, and also have nights darker of course.

I think you'd need toggle-able flashlights for this to be feasible, not that I'd mind.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you're not navigating through the night by the light of the fires you've caused then you're doing it wrong.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

That would be cool if nights were darker. As it is, I can still see perfectly. I've actually lowered the brightness of the game a bit because of it.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Am I a horrible person because I find the 17 FPS I get when I have all the settings all the way up bearable? I'm new to PC gaming and I truly can't tell the difference in FPS when I have it on Ultra vs. Low without using Fraps. What is wrong with me, Internet forum?

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Fuuuuuck. I think I was near the end of the first island and when I booted up the game my save was gone. I thought Uplay was supposed to back this poo poo up, guys. :(

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I really wish more people played the MP; it has just enough CoD with good map design and not bullshit netcode. Plus it's awesome shoving your knife through some dude's skull and having him rage at you.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danyull posted:

Am I a horrible person because I find the 17 FPS I get when I have all the settings all the way up bearable? I'm new to PC gaming and I truly can't tell the difference in FPS when I have it on Ultra vs. Low without using Fraps. What is wrong with me, Internet forum?

The moment you see it, you'll never un-see it, so trust me don't go looking for the difference, because it'll ruin everything.

(I was like you until someone ruined it for me :( )

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So is there more or less drop with the wingsuit than the glider?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Speedball posted:

So is there more or less drop with the wingsuit than the glider?

More. If you want to go for distance, pick the glider. If you want to go for accuracy, pick the wingsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's the deal with the camera reticle turning gold sometimes and Jason making a dumb tiger noise when I take a picture?

For that matter, are the pictures I take stored anywhere?

• Locked thread