Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

What the heck was that cylon thing at the end. It looked like really really cheap CGI, but I guess it was supposed to be some sort of proto skinjob?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I thought it was a beta version of Caprica Six? Given the "Are you alive?" and the neck snap.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, the Sixes really perfected the art of necksnapping by the time of BSG.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

John Dough posted:

Yeah, the Sixes really perfected the art of necksnapping by the time of BSG.

Or manipulating someone in such as way that he's forced to do a awkward bathroom conversation.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

If I was a TV exec I wouldn't have ordered a season based on this pilot.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sub Rosa posted:

Yes, you would. Then you'd pre-empt it and move it around the schedule so no one would be able to find it. Then, when the ratings didn't meet expectations, you'd cancel it. And when the fans complained, you'd tell them to gently caress off.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Just Another Lurker posted:

It was nice to be back in the BSG verse... even if only for a little while. :awesomelon:

I'm right with you. That ending Viper launch sequence was just icing on the octagonal cake.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I said I would watch the whole thing before passing judgement, and now it's done. Total poo poo. Even the terrible Syfi execs saw it was poo poo. Lacked almost all the charm that was present in the pilot of BSG, and tried to keep fan's attention by referencing stuff from the old series. Hopefully this is the deathknell on the channel trying to hopelessly resurrect a really good show that ran it's course.

EDIT: I mean, I can't believe I'm about write this following sentence: That silly Halo 4 tie-in web movie had better character interaction and growth then this.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Just Another Lurker posted:

It was nice to be back in the BSG verse... even if only for a little while. :awesomelon:
This is basically how I felt. I started the whole thing on a whim to show off how I was able to watch youtube vids on my television via a HDMI cable, and we ended up watching the whole thing. Didn't realize it had already been finished, and was glad that I watched the whole thing in one go. Not sure if I could've stomached watching it, one episode at a time.

The CGI sets, the music, the characters... it was nice to briefly see the BSG universe again.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Sub Rosa posted:

I would. But then again, I'm not a TV exec!

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
It didn't display any of the symbolism of BSG, but BSG's pilot sorta sucked and this one's doesn't. I like the characters and I see the potential to build it into a great show.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
BSG's pilot is probably the best pilot I've ever watched. Sure, it's a little long for one sitting but...really?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Red Crown posted:

BSG's pilot is probably the best pilot I've ever watched. Sure, it's a little long for one sitting but...really?

It's one of the best SciFi pilots ever. I'm shocked to see someone speaking ill of it.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Granted I don't watch much SciFi so I'm not sure how good it was in relation to those, but it was slow and boring when I watched it. I appreciate it more after the context of the rest of the show. Some parts, like Baltar in his house, were good. But then stuff like Leoben's thunder world sweats were just no good. It doesn't help it any that 33 was so loving good. Christ I love BSG.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

So I'm still holding off watching this till the blu ray comes out. Was it good guys?

Red Crown posted:

Agreed! I don't think it'll happen. They won't let him make a soundtrack album for The Walking Dead, even though it is the most popular show on TV.

AMC is totally idiotic right now though. Their whole network seems to be spiraling out of control and lost at sea. I think B&C has a lot better chance of seeing a score being released.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ApexAftermath posted:

AMC is totally idiotic right now though. Their whole network seems to be spiraling out of control and lost at sea. I think B&C has a lot better chance of seeing a score being released.

AMC has shitcanned most of the showrunners for their series, sometimes multiple times. Breaking Bad was in negotiations so toxic that the production company was shopping around the possibility of taking it to another network. Mad Men had the same problem. Walking Dead has had two or three showrunners and so has Hell on Wheels. Rubicon had two.

Ironically, the Killing has had the same horrendous showrunner (Veena Sud) for the entirety of its run.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ApexAftermath posted:

So I'm still holding off watching this till the blu ray comes out. Was it good guys?

Nope. I can think of basically no reason to watch it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm wondering how realistic the goal of buying the DVD/BluRay to get the show made actually is.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's not gonna happen. This show is really really bad.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I'd certainly like to see if nothing else, more of these one-off movies if it's not going to be a full series. Blood and Chrome was good, an enjoyable space action flick and I think there's potential for more of this type of thing set in the BSG universe.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They should just make another space-based show at this point. I think they've gotten all they can out of BSG, both in terms of storytelling and in terms of popularity. Caprica pissed itself and if they can't even get this off the ground, what are the chances that another project will be more successful?

Where's the Space: 1999 reboot?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Ron Moore's Virtuality pilot was actually severely underrated, unfortunately they premiered it on Fox of all places. I could see a show like that working on premium cable along with the freedom that comes with it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Perhaps I just can't remember, but why does Baltar not report Boomer being a Cylon after she leaves his office?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

omg chael crash posted:

Perhaps I just can't remember, but why does Baltar not report Boomer being a Cylon after she leaves his office?

I think he's afraid of Cylon retaliation if they realize he can accurately detect them, so he tries talking Boomer into shooting herself instead.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I forgot how great Michael Hogan's passive aggressive delivery of his greating to Zarek is in "Colonial Day".

"Colonel Tigh, Battlestar Galactica."

I've never seen such well acted hate and contempt come from behind a smile before.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Also, what's the take on the BSG(RDM, of course) comics? I seem to recall them being university reviled, but I can't remember if I made that up or not.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Like most comics and especially tie-ins, it's probably awful.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

General Battuta posted:

Nope. I can think of basically no reason to watch it.

Not even if you miss BSG? I had so much fun watching BSG that I was anticipating blood and chrome but seeing as it seem to suck I was wondering if I should bother.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Blood and Chrome was fine. It's worth a watch; I don't know if I'd buy the Blu-ray, but watching it for free was a nice visit to the BSG-verse again.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Seeing so much of the cast play in the Battlestar world again is a nice little treat, at the very least.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

Also, what's the take on the BSG(RDM, of course) comics? I seem to recall them being university reviled, but I can't remember if I made that up or not.

The Zarek mini-series was extremely good, the rest not at all worth trying to read. Although I did find it funny that one storyline of the RDM-BSG comics basically presaged the Final Five concept a few years before it was actually used in the show.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Le0 posted:

Not even if you miss BSG? I had so much fun watching BSG that I was anticipating blood and chrome but seeing as it seem to suck I was wondering if I should bother.

Imagine BSG minus all the reasons BSG was an interesting step forward in science fiction. If the only reasons you love the series are because 'it has Vipers' and 'there are robots' I guess Blood and Chrome could be a good time. If you're interested in sharp writing, thoughtful use of CGI and visual style, and human characters with interesting problems, give Blood and Chrome a pass.

Think of B&C as the AVP of the franchise.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

We have no idea what the show would have been like vis a vis its narrative themes because it was cancelled. For a pilot, it did a pretty good job of setting everything up. For a standalone movie, it answers too few questions to be meaningful. I enjoyed it, though.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Aatrek posted:

Blood and Chrome was fine. It's worth a watch; I don't know if I'd buy the Blu-ray, but watching it for free was a nice visit to the BSG-verse again.

It was good. But you are right, I am not sure if I want to buy the thing. Part of me wants to in the hopes that sales will be extremely high, and this might convince SyFy to greenlight another BSG series. Though, I'm certain I'm being overly optimistic. :sadcylon:

e: v v

Add Earth 2, and Alien Earth to that list. :razz:

Joking of course. I'd like to see that as well. But when it comes to BSG, Stargate, Star Trek - all of which are fantastic model universes - I always want more. A Babylon 5 reboot, or series in that universe, would also be pretty :awesome: for me.

It kind of sucks that, at least on the small screen, Space Sci-Fi of the sort already stated, seems to just have died in the past several years. Vampires, Werewolves, Ghosts, Superheros seem to be taking precedent. There is a place for all that stuff, to a point, but I want the space pew-pew back.

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 15, 2013

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I don't particularly want another BSG series. BSG itself was enough for me. I want another creative and interesting sci-fi show that's not based on anything else (I know that BSG itself was based on an old property, but most people will admit that it took the bare bones and went somewhere completely different with the idea). I miss the days when crazy-rear end space shows like Space: Above and Beyond, Farscape, Lexx, and other random but creative poo poo was getting aired.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Guess what region-free blu-ray box set is only 35 pounds on Amazon UK?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlestar-Galactica-Complete-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B0027UY8B8

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

John Dough posted:

Guess what region-free blu-ray box set is only 35 pounds on Amazon UK?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlestar-Galactica-Complete-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B0027UY8B8

For some reason this says 35 pounds (around $56 USD) in the store but when you go to check out it's actually 29 pounds. Comes up to 32.33 with postage.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Isn't this the boxset that doesn't actually include all the extras it claims to (in fact, next to know of them)?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

incredible bear posted:

Isn't this the boxset that doesn't actually include all the extras it claims to (in fact, next to know of them)?

Amazon loves to just stick all the different versions of a given box/DVD set on the same page so YMMV on what the set actually contains. It's usually best to check the reviews since most of the time people write in what (if anything) is wrong with the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well, the reviews seem to say that only the DVD version is missing some content. The UK bluray version should be complete, as I understand it.

• Locked thread