Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've definitely killed more endangered species in just a few hours of this game than I ever have in games before.

bout 90% sure I've killed more tigers than exist in the wild nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Ok, thanks to Gibbed I'm playing my second playthrough (on Warrior this time) and something I've had pretty much the entire time is this:

Notice the wonky water graphics going on in the distance. From what I can tell by moving around and goofing a bit, it seems like the overlay for say breathing underwater and when you get hit are affecting the distant textures (?). Very odd, just curious is anyone else is having this issue and if there's a fix.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've had it. I haven't seen it in vistas like that but I have seen it close up where large chunks of water are missing. It should just fix itself after you load again.

Also, will warrior unlock if I play though normal on my first run and how is it? If it just makes enemies super lethal thats cool, but if it turns them into meatshields I might pass. Head shotting someone with a sniper rifle and not seeing them go down really pisses me off in games.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Oh god the bit where you escape from that waterhole after Vaas' insanity spiel (1st island) is kicking my arse.

I've got part of the sequence down, i.e. doing a takedown the first guy outside the waterfall, and then the second and then reflex knifing his buddy, grabbing their poo poo and taking out the sniper, grabbing his poo poo and taking out the RPG guy, and finally clearing out all the other dudes in the first part of the village.

But by the time I'm near the chopper I've got about 1:30 left on the clock and I'm usually at a loss to get rid of both the second sniper and the heavy and I usually die. Just wondering if I should abandon, do some more open world poo poo and then try again when I've at least got the heavy takedown skill.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
/\/\/\edit: if it's open and you can take it once you have the points wait for Heavy take-down. Those are usually the guys I go for first. I believe I went for them first then as well, not sure though.

NESguerilla posted:

I've had it. I haven't seen it in vistas like that but I have seen it close up where large chunks of water are missing. It should just fix itself after you load again.

Also, will warrior unlock if I play though normal on my first run and how is it? If it just makes enemies super lethal thats cool, but if it turns them into meatshields I might pass. Head shotting someone with a sniper rifle and not seeing them go down really pisses me off in games.

No it only shows when I look at water when it's a good distance away. Doesn't fix itself either.

And so far from what I can tell there's really no difference between Warrior and Survivor. I amped it up to Warrior because I could literally walk into any enemy camp and manage to kill everyone without even considering the alarm. Mind you I was fulling geared out, but still it just seemed a bit too easy. Not going straight for "Awesome GUNZ" right away this time, which is especially nice because now I can mod the 1911 and my AK.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Oh god the bit where you escape from that waterhole after Vaas' insanity spiel (1st island) is kicking my arse.

I've got part of the sequence down, i.e. doing a takedown the first guy outside the waterfall, and then the second and then reflex knifing his buddy, grabbing their poo poo and taking out the sniper, grabbing his poo poo and taking out the RPG guy, and finally clearing out all the other dudes in the first part of the village.

But by the time I'm near the chopper I've got about 1:30 left on the clock and I'm usually at a loss to get rid of both the second sniper and the heavy and I usually die. Just wondering if I should abandon, do some more open world poo poo and then try again when I've at least got the heavy takedown skill.

The timer starts once you're spotted so you can actually sneak around quite a bit and get to the last couple of guys without starting the timer

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Arkitektbmw posted:

Ok, thanks to Gibbed I'm playing my second playthrough (on Warrior this time) and something I've had pretty much the entire time is this:

Notice the wonky water graphics going on in the distance. From what I can tell by moving around and goofing a bit, it seems like the overlay for say breathing underwater and when you get hit are affecting the distant textures (?). Very odd, just curious is anyone else is having this issue and if there's a fix.

Although yours seems to be an extreme case, that seems to be just one of those "things" we still have to deal with in gaming graphics. It's 2012, and yet just about any game with a very large, open-world landscape, we still have Z-fighting issues on distant terrain when it comes to textures/shaders/shadows. When is that poo poo going to get fixed already? I remember z-fighting bullshit in games 15 years ago, and we still have to deal with it today. It's usually worse in cutscenes too. Trying to show off the nice, beautiful landscape in a game during a cutscene, but it's all hosed up because they shadows are flipping out as the camera moves.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Trying to show off the nice, beautiful landscape in a game during a cutscene, but it's all hosed up because they shadows are flipping out as the camera moves.

Sometimes these issues are driver bugs. (Drivers are software, too!) For example, the GeForce 310.70 Beta driver purports to fix shadow flickering in Assassin's Creed 3 (Release Notes).

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 9, 2012

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Daric posted:

The timer starts once you're spotted so you can actually sneak around quite a bit and get to the last couple of guys without starting the timer
Ha yeah, I finally nailed it. Just had to take a break and come back with a different approach.

Now I've gotten through to a :gonk: part.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

Ha yeah, I finally nailed it. Just had to take a break and come back with a different approach.

Now I've gotten through to a :gonk: part.

Here's how I got past that part.
I jump out of the water, get spotted immediately, run all the way to the copter while literally biting bullets out of my arm, then grab a piddly SMG and very slowly destroy an army of men who are now following me in a line.

When I got caught I was just going to reload but a friend dared me to keep going and see how long I could last with nothing. Our jaws dropped when I succeeded.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The mission where you have to take pictures of the people on the bridge is just beyond loving trash. Worst most unfun mission in the game hands down.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NESguerilla posted:

The mission where you have to take pictures of the people on the bridge is just beyond loving trash. Worst most unfun mission in the game hands down.

Note that this was also a mission in GTA: San Andreas, much like the burning the weed fields mission :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Note that this was also a mission in GTA: San Andreas, much like the burning the weed fields mission :v:

Ha. Wonder if that was intentional or not.

This mission is like "what doesn't Far Cry 3 do well? Let's shoe horn tall of those things into one god awful mission." It's also hard as hell in the cheapest most obnoxious way. I've died like 20 times and if I hear chadbro protagonist say "I gotta blow up that truck so they don't get away" one more time I'm gonna smash my TV.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 9, 2012

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Wow, I thought that mission was amazing fun, after hitting the bridge with RPGs, I ended up setting fire to each of the cliffside platforms as I ziplined across from each of them and the entire place was one giant inferno, awesome as hell.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Also, I think that mission was designed for you to use the zipline skill. With a desert eagle.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Goddamn. I'm at the part toward the end when Riley is piloting the helicopter out of the airstrip, and you have to man the mounted gun. Once you circle back into the airstrip, there are dudes shooting RPGs at the helicopter that I can't point the gun at because they're in front of the chopper. I'm dying every time from getting bombarded by RPGs from people I can't even loving see. Ridiculous. I really hope I can get past this, because I loving love this game apart from this. I've tried it probably five or six times now, and always die at the same point.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

gibbed posted:

Wow, I thought that mission was amazing fun, after hitting the bridge with RPGs, I ended up setting fire to each of the cliffside platforms as I ziplined across from each of them and the entire place was one giant inferno, awesome as hell.

Yeah, I too thought that ruled. At first, I couldn't get the hang of it. But then when I figured out how to go about it, it became maniacally fun :3:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I will never get tired of jumping off of a cliff and then using my wingsuit to fly 5 feet off the ground down a road passing cars. I just wish I could see it from a third-person view.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beyond how linear that mission is, no matter how many times I reloaded, the bottom end of one of the zip lines was a blaze of fire and it would be pretty much an insta-kill as i was getting shot by 5 dudes while trying to escape the fire. Luckily I eventually remembered what game I was playing and just wing suited my rear end to the end of the river, ran up the bridge and avoided everything.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

NESguerilla posted:

Beyond how linear that mission is, no matter how many times I reloaded, the bottom end of one of the zip lines was a blaze of fire and it would be pretty much an insta-kill as i was getting shot by 5 dudes while trying to escape the fire. Luckily I eventually remembered what game I was playing and just wing suited my rear end to the end of the river, ran up the bridge and avoided everything.
That reminded me that in the mission where you have to infiltrate Hoyt's privateers, I managed to find a way to get to the boat without having to sneak past all those guys by the dock, but because I didn't pass the yellow marker on the dock itself the game wouldn't accept it. I had to do that section so many times and throw so many rocks. :argh:

I've played with the map editor now, and the performance indicator bar is utterly worthless compared to FC2. What's the point of having the thing if you can't see it while testing a map? It makes it impossible to tell where things are going to chug (as does the omission of the 'object poly budget' numbers). Mind you, sometimes things chug even if you're looking straight down at the ground without a single object in view. :iiam:

You can tilt power lines to use as ziplines, though, so that's one thing they improved. :haw:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I really wish the multiplayer for this game actually worked right.

Troublesome Guy
Sep 12, 2004

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Goddamn. I'm at the part toward the end when Riley is piloting the helicopter out of the airstrip, and you have to man the mounted gun. Once you circle back into the airstrip, there are dudes shooting RPGs at the helicopter that I can't point the gun at because they're in front of the chopper. I'm dying every time from getting bombarded by RPGs from people I can't even loving see. Ridiculous. I really hope I can get past this, because I loving love this game apart from this. I've tried it probably five or six times now, and always die at the same point.

I've been stuck on that mission for the better part of a week now. I have no loving idea how anyone has gotten past it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Troublesome Guy posted:

I've been stuck on that mission for the better part of a week now. I have no loving idea how anyone has gotten past it.

Maybe it bugs out for some people? I don't know, I completed it in the first try :confused:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Wow. I just built my first gaming PC ever and got a free code for this with my GPU. I was waffling between using it myself or giving it to a friend because I played about an hour of FC2 on the PS3 before putting it down. I definitely made the right decision. This game is fun as hell and looks absolutely amazing. I guess I never really considered how much the PS3 was lagging behind with 7 year old hardware.

A couple of questions:

- I'm really bad at driving the vehicles. Maybe it's making the transition from a controller to a mouse and keyboard, but I can drive maybe 30 yards in my intended direction before veering off course. Is there a trick to driving other than "don't suck at it?"

- Is there a tweak or something in the settings to change the menu volume? I have my volume set up correctly for the game but when I pop into the menu it's just wall to wall bass.

harskarenjag
Mar 11, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

You can't even safely stake out encampments on the second island without constantly checking your back. When I try to be sneaky some random privateers will usually just walk up the road and spot me and everyone gets alerted.

Put some natural land mass behind you and you will be okay. I just got to the second island and noticed that this was a problem, but I only allowed it to happen once. I've taken out 7 more unnoticed since then without issue.

harskarenjag
Mar 11, 2008

Arkitektbmw posted:

/\/\/\edit: if it's open and you can take it once you have the points wait for Heavy take-down. Those are usually the guys I go for first. I believe I went for them first then as well, not sure though.

No it only shows when I look at water when it's a good distance away. Doesn't fix itself either.

And so far from what I can tell there's really no difference between Warrior and Survivor. I amped it up to Warrior because I could literally walk into any enemy camp and manage to kill everyone without even considering the alarm. Mind you I was fulling geared out, but still it just seemed a bit too easy. Not going straight for "Awesome GUNZ" right away this time, which is especially nice because now I can mod the 1911 and my AK.

How are you modding the 1911 and the AK?

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

harskarenjag posted:

How are you modding the 1911 and the AK?

Check out this great mod by Gibbed:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=410353231

harskarenjag
Mar 11, 2008

Oh, awesome. I don't remember the name of the starting sniper rifle, but if he added a silencer and extended scope to that as possibilities that will make the game a cake walk because it's semi-auto. Should be fun.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Hahahaha, dammit. I had just claimed a radio tower, and enemies had shown up right below me. I started up FRAPS, was totally set to do a death from above on one of them... and then when I jumped I grabbed onto the zipline right above me, panicked, and fell to my death. So much for that. :v:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

I think the last part of the game is actually the hangover after the high. Y'know, climax 3/4th of the way through, then falling action to resolve all the last pieces.

Sam is great, though. I loved Sam.

Sam was awesome!
I'm so sad that he died the way he did because now they cant bring him back, if he would have been shot in the back he could atleast have a miraculous recovery or something.:smith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zudgemud posted:

Sam was awesome!
I'm so sad that he died the way he did because now they cant bring him back, if he would have been shot in the back he could atleast have a miraculous recovery or something.:smith:

Why would they bring him back, though? If there's a Far Cry 4 and it continues the tradition of the Far Cry games thus far, it will be completely different game than 3 and have all new characters and a new story and everything. There would be no mention of Sam or any of the other characters from 3 in it. There's never been an expansion pack to a Far Cry game, either, so it's unlikely to think that they'll do one for this game.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Cardboard Box posted:

Hahahaha, dammit. I had just claimed a radio tower, and enemies had shown up right below me. I started up FRAPS, was totally set to do a death from above on one of them... and then when I jumped I grabbed onto the zipline right above me, panicked, and fell to my death. So much for that. :v:

Well, are you gonna post the video or what?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

It's really not as funny as it sounds but I guess I could.

EDIT: Actually looks like FRAPS hosed up and didn't record it right, so now I don't even have a memento of my failure.

Infected Mushroom
Nov 4, 2009
Is there any way to unlock every upgrade/craftable item from the start of the game? I'd like to play through again but not having 4 weapons and a massive rucksack is really annoying.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
I haven't beat this yet, as I've been enjoying the insanity of it too much.

If I had any reason to ever doubt buying this game, which I didn't, but if I had any doubts, they would have been resolved today.

I just trained 8 cassowarys into an outpost, and the loving birds cleared it for me. Most hilarious poo poo I've seen in this game yet.

Don't gently caress with the cassowary.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Pochoclo posted:

I have a pistol with a silencer.
I'm doing the first camp mission.
I lure the loving dog into a secluded area of the camp, very very far away from everyone else, out of hear range and view range of everyone.
I shoot the dog with the silenced pistol really fast and it dies.

Everyone is alerted.

What the gently caress? How can I avoid this?
It's difficult to avoid alerting people with anything other than a backstab.

This isn't such a big deal if you keep moving from hiding place to hiding place. As long as the others don't actually spot you, they won't activate the alarm and you will get the full 1500XP for clearing the camp without being detected.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Zudgemud posted:

Sam was awesome!
I liked Sam because he was actually sane (his blitzkrieg style of combat notwithstanding) - the only sane guy on the island who was also useful to you.

Oh, and Far Cry 4 probably will not continue the plot, only the gameplay mechanics.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

I liked Sam because he was actually sane (his blitzkrieg style of combat notwithstanding) - the only sane guy on the island who was also useful to you.

Oh, and Far Cry 4 probably will not continue the plot, only the gameplay mechanics.

The doctor wasn't that crazy. Drug-addled, but I mean, he was a nice fellow and very helpful.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
He thought Daisy was his dead daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Please stop talking about Sam in the past tense, or at least use spoiler tags!

• Locked thread