Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

http://shop.bresoftware.com/Sega-Dreamcast-Used_p_4654.html

This is a reasonable price. Not sure if it comes with the hookups though.

Jesus, really? I just bought one loose at a local church fair a few weeks ago for $5 with one controller and its hookup. And it had Soul Calibur inside it too when I got home and opened it up. I guess that's a good deal?

e: wait nevermind it looks like I paid $2 for the console and $1 for the controller. So $3 total. And it looks like the controller has a memory card plus something that looks like a mini-gameboy in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

H1KE posted:

You're a gem. :) He said it can be remounted fairly easily, but I'll have to unscrew the back and check it out.

I doubt it's something you'll want to do spontaneously, but eventually you'll tire of GnG. :)

Genpei Turtle posted:

Jesus, really? I just bought one loose at a local church fair a few weeks ago for $5 with one controller and its hookup. And it had Soul Calibur inside it too when I got home and opened it up. I guess that's a good deal?

Good deals are around if you look for them. If you need one today, yes, that's a good price for a known working system.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

$40 is the average price people sell it for with controller, VMU, and usually a sports game.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
That's well worth the price. Christ, what a console.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Oh shiiit! Someone bout to have some mothafuckin' presents all up in theys grill

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

You're asking if a Dreamcast is worth more than $3? Yes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Genpei Turtle posted:

e: wait nevermind it looks like I paid $2 for the console and $1 for the controller. So $3 total. And it looks like the controller has a memory card plus something that looks like a mini-gameboy in it.

$5 for a working Dreamcast with all its hookups and accessories and one of the best games on it? That's a hell of a good deal.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

ohnoitschris posted:

I had one of those as a kid and it stopped working pretty quickly. It feels kind of cheap and crappy, too.

Here's the real best controller on SNES:

:colbert: That's right. It feels solid and can take a beating, has a little weight to it, and even looks much better than the ASCII Pad.

That thing looks amazing. They're pretty cheap, so I'm definitely getting one whenever I buy an SNES again.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Mill Village posted:

That thing looks amazing. They're pretty cheap, so I'm definitely getting one whenever I buy an SNES again.

Thanks for reminding me that this existed. I had one back in the day and really loved it. But I did not remember until I saw that picture. Definetley need to pick one up.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Caitlin posted:

Nickel City is still open unless it recently (very recently) exploded or something. I live near the Schaumburg GW so it's in pretty great repair, I just don't go that often. Upside is I get to play poo poo like Technika and Sangokushi Taisen.

Oh cool ill have to check it out again. If i remember right all of their classic stuff is free play.

Schaumburg GW is the one I used to go to also. Do they still have that deal on Thursday where you can play from like 7pm until closing for $20?

zenintrude posted:

Oh shiiit! Someone bout to have some mothafuckin' presents all up in theys grill

Look at Mr Fancy with his wrapping paper. I was considering it but I filled a large flat rate box pretty much to the brim. Don't think I could have crammed wrapping in as well.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 8, 2012

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

madpanda posted:

Look at Mr Fancy with his wrapping paper. I was considering it but I filled a large flat rate box pretty much to the brim. Don't think I could have crammed wrapping in as well.

Yeah, I'm not gonna wrap my Santee's stuff either (the last thing I ordered should be getting here any day), but now I feel like a shitbag for not. :(

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

$5 for a working Dreamcast with all its hookups and accessories and one of the best games on it? That's a hell of a good deal.

Ah, OK. Dreamcast is one of the few consoles I never really followed so while I knew it was a deal, I was under the impression that because it never did so well there was a glut of them and they'd go for less in general.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Final piece of my Secret Santee's stuff arrived today, I'll be wrapping it tomorrow night and hopefully sending it out Sunday or Monday!

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
My Santee is either going to be creeped out, or laugh hard. Maybe both.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

univbee posted:

IIRC a VCR should be able to make this work using its built-in tuner. You set the channel on the VCR and it'll output correctly to the TV using composite. I don't think any consoles that use RF will carry a stereo signal, so if you can get a mono VCR for cheaper just get that.

That's what I hoped. I looked through a few old manual scans online but it never mentioned if you ABSOLUTELY needed the coax-out hooked up to a TV if you wanted to use the coax-in. RCA leads were mentioned in passing but nothing specific. Thank you, this should work fine :neckbeard:!

Code Jockey posted:

I've got a few PC TV capture boxes that do it, or should anyway [never used an RF box with them, just RCA, but they have coax ports for TV input].

Possibly. I have an old Pinnacle box but it only supports composite and s-video at an exhilarating 30 frames per second! Interestingly I tried replacing it with a more modern card but that thing has all sorts of neat visibility issues. It flatout won't see the NES most of the time (but not ALL the time :confused:) and the colors it renders the Genesis in are bizarre. I just run all of the composite and s-video signals to it through a DVD-R machine which converts everything to component. That DVD-R's going to be a godsend when my current LCD TV dies... s-video inputs are getting rarer, so I've heard :tinfoil:...

Sexy Slippers posted:

You want an Ambery RF Demodulator They also sell them on eBay and with shipping it'll set you back :retrogames: I mean $100.

If it's reliable and the VCR adventure doesn't work, drat the expense, it'll help keep me sane. I was looking into similar VGA products but their performance is sketchy at best. This one looks perfect :3:!

jpg
Feb 21, 2004

ohnoitschris posted:

I had one of those as a kid and it stopped working pretty quickly. It feels kind of cheap and crappy, too.

:colbert: That's right. It feels solid and can take a beating, has a little weight to it, and even looks much better than the ASCII Pad.

You just reminded me I had this beast sitting in my wardrobe:

(to be fair it was this beat up when I bought it off a buddy in the 90's if I recall)

I agree that they feel pretty solid (from what I remember), as for taking a beating I'm not so sure judging by the state of this.

The macro function is gimmicky, but handy for doing Spinning Piledrivers in Street Fighter 2, which is why this pad ended up being banned when me and my chums used to play SF2 back in the day, that or they'd hit the slow button and piss off the opponent to no end. Ah, good times.

jpg fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 8, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
how did your friend beat it up that bad

jpg
Feb 21, 2004
I have no idea, but my guess would be a tough or cheap game, rage and a hard surface.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Third party controls back then were so weird. I remember having a Genesis controller with a "turbo" button that apparently never did anything for any game.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

ohnoitschris posted:

I actually found one that my brothers and I had back when those were new and tried it out on Super Street Fighter 2. I dunno if it's because I'm used to the MadCatz FightPad and/or the controller might not be in the best of shape after years of non-use, but the d-pad doesn't seem to work as well as I hoped for fighting games. It looks like it would be better than the regular SNES pad since it doesn't stick out as much, but it doesn't feel as good as I hoped. At least it still works, which is amazing since my experience with third party controllers is quite mixed. :)

To be fair, I'm not as used to how SNES SSF2 plays and I didn't play it for too long to get a real good feel for it, so there's a good chance it's just me. :shobon:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

jpg posted:

You just reminded me I had this beast sitting in my wardrobe:

Hell yeah now that's what I'm talking about. We used to have one of these and it could be programmed to even do fatalities or complex moves in Mortal Kombat...and it would show you the arrows/buttons pressed on the screen. Definitely a cool rear end controller, one day I will find our original if it's still in my parents' place.

ALSO I've got all of my SS stuff completely ready to go and packaged up. I have never packed a flat rate box this full before, it's awesome. I will be mailing it out Monday, and since my SS apparently lives a few hours north of me it will guaranteed be there Tuesday or Wednesday.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 8, 2012

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Tyson Tomko posted:

I just so happen to have an extra N64 I got in a shopGoodwill lot a while back. Contents are:

- Nintendo 64
- a/v cable
- power cable
- 1 Atomic Purple controller with a GREAT stick
- 1 beat up condition standard Grey controller as a gift from me to you with a :barf: horrible stick that's almost useless
- and if you like Wrestlemania 2000

I can throw this in a medium flat rate box for $11.95 or however much it is, plus however much you'd want to donate to my present buying fund and have it to you in no time.

(actually with the 2 controllers I may have to use a large, I'll try and get creative and see what I can do if you or anyone else is interested)

PM sent very kind sir.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

My SS stuff went out today. I hope the recipient enjoys the choice selections. :getin:

Also while stopping at the retro store, I was lucky enough to finally find an official N64 controller with a stick not completely turned into plastic dust, and a copy of Cruis'n USA. Now I can tear through my home state in bug-splatter POV all over again.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My SS stuff in packed up and the label is printed. It will be sent out monday whoever you are.

Also my secret santa sent me stuff and I got it this week. Its pretty cool!

Move the gently caress over Wii U

I think the box text is Thai and the console text is Cyrillic?

I also got this stuff which is pretty cool. The handheld is a famiclone and has 80 games or so (including Angry Brids 3 and Fast Bros II). His wife makes the perlers.

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
I finally came into enough money to do some Christmas shopping, so I ordered my SS stuff today. I'll be shipping it out ASAP once it gets here and I can wrap/pack it. I think my Santee will appreciate it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

yo send me that I'll RGB mod it

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

OSI bean dip posted:

PM sent very kind sir.

Responded, and you're also getting a copy of Wave Race because I found a dupe.

iastudent posted:

...and a copy of Cruis'n USA. Now I can tear through my home state in bug-splatter POV all over again.

CRUSINNNNnnnnnn Yeahh......CRUSIN USA. YEAH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpIXV-h52yY&t=25s

I remember getting that game for my birthday way back when and loving it. The cop car is simply the best. It wasn't long after I got my copy of Shadows of the Empire too. Man, launch 64 games and early gen ones were badass.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 8, 2012

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I finally read this entire thread. I'll have more to add later but I just wanted to start by saying that I still own my first console (Atari 5200) and a bunch of games that weren't rare when I bought them but apparently are now. I also still own the worst and most obscure console I ever bought (original Panasonic 3DO). Lots of cool games for that too. I kinda want to dig them out of the attic and set them up now.

To add to one of the current discussions: When I first bought my SNES I had it hooked up through the RF modulator since my TV didn't have composite hookups. One day I had an idea and bought an SNES composite cable. I ran the composite cable into my VCR and ran coax from my VCR to my TV. That cleared up the signal so much that I just sat there and stared the first time I started it up like that. It probably didn't look as good as running composite straight to the TV but it definitely looked a lot better. I'm guessing it was because the RF modulator was out of the picture?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

...! posted:

To add to one of the current discussions: When I first bought my SNES I had it hooked up through the RF modulator since my TV didn't have composite hookups. One day I had an idea and bought an SNES composite cable. I ran the composite cable into my VCR and ran coax from my VCR to my TV. That cleared up the signal so much that I just sat there and stared the first time I started it up like that. It probably didn't look as good as running composite straight to the TV but it definitely looked a lot better. I'm guessing it was because the RF modulator was out of the picture?

It's most likely your VCR put out a better RF signal than your SNES. I remember doing the same thing with my NES twenty years ago and getting similar results.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
After changing the battery in my NES copy of Zelda, the game now has severe graphical glitches. The pins are clean as can be and I don't see any excess solder or anywhere I may have damaged it. Did I simply get the circuit too hot and permanently damage it? :/

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
Look for cold solder points and re-flow them or re-solder them, if necessary; you may have flexed the board (even slightly) and now the solder and the pads are no longer connecting.

Did you slip the iron across the board (pressing too hard)? Leave a mark? Did it possibly cut a trace?

I assume other games still work fine (just to rule out the NES)?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got my turbo everdrive deluxe today

Now i just need an actual pc engine

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Robolizard! posted:

I got my turbo everdrive deluxe today

Now i just need an actual pc engine

Everything Stone Age Gamer makes is hideously expensive but looks so very good. I will own a SD2SNES deluxe one of these days.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is this where we post silly retro gaming purchases we made?

At a highly portable 110 lbs! I actually felt bad buying it from Goodwill, apparently it was on sale so I only paid :10bux:.

edit: According to the internet, in order to get rid of the "Video 2" in the corner, I need a remote with a button called "Display". The universal remotes I'm seeing on Amazon don't seem to have that, though. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 9, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Robolizard! posted:

My SS stuff in packed up and the label is printed. It will be sent out monday whoever you are.

Also my secret santa sent me stuff and I got it this week. Its pretty cool!

Move the gently caress over Wii U

I think the box text is Thai and the console text is Cyrillic?

I also got this stuff which is pretty cool. The handheld is a famiclone and has 80 games or so (including Angry Brids 3 and Fast Bros II). His wife makes the perlers.

I've got that heart perler too, it's awesome, also send me your keyboard tia

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Cicero posted:

Is this where we post silly retro gaming purchases we made?

At a highly portable 110 lbs! I actually felt bad buying it from Goodwill, apparently it was on sale so I only paid :10bux:.

edit: According to the internet, in order to get rid of the "Video 2" in the corner, I need a remote with a button called "Display". The universal remotes I'm seeing on Amazon don't seem to have that, though. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Almost any Sony remote will do such as this one or this one. The first one is probably a better bet, since it is specifically a universal remote.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Agrias120 posted:

Almost any Sony remote will do such as this one or this one. The first one is probably a better bet, since it is specifically a universal remote.
Hmm ok, thanks. I think I'll check out the goodwill first, I think I saw a basket or something of old remotes, but if they don't have anything that works I'll probably order that. Funny though that I could end up spending more money on a (basic) remote than on the TV itself. :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cicero posted:

I've got a nice Logitech Harmony 600 controller. You can get one for $40 now and probably cheaper than that if you get refurbed. It will control anything that has an IR receiver and use every single function controllable. It's more expensive than your typical universal remote but a good investment.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Bit curious about buying an SD2SNES. What's the best way to know when they're instock? Do they normally sell out quickly?

Also interested in the genesis or master system flash carts, anyone had any experience with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Well, finally beat Pokemon Blue.

That was... ridiculously easy.

1. Take Bulbasaur
2. Grind Bulbasaur a little on early fights, plow through everything with vine whip
3. Get the TM with body slam, give to Bulbasaur
4. One-shot every loving thing in the game with Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venussaur dropping body slams, occasionally switching to razor leaf if I run out of PP or find something more vulnerable to razor leaf

Seriously, every single trainer and the Elite Four went down like nothing. I had to revive/dump healing items into Arse the Bulbasaur near the end because some of the Elite Four battles were tricky, and he ran out of PP during the very last fight and I ended up using struggle a few times [which still shaved off like a quarter of the last battle's HP each shot]. He ended up high-level-70s by the end.

I know there's already a Let's Break of Pokemon Blue, but jesus, I feel like I managed to break it just playing it the best way I knew how!

• Locked thread