Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Vanderdeath posted:

..Wait, there's a merchant in the Undead Burg? Where at?

Right near the Burg bonfire. Kill the two spear undead outside and roll through the crates to reveal some stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Is this game completely dead on pc, or is it just that I live in Europe? I cant find anyone to invade or summon. Played the pc version for like 25 hours and seen 4 summon signs and been invaded like 6 times.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Cool, my aspiring dark wraith can be one shot by the bonewheels in Painted World :suicide:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I'm guessing there's something wrong with your connection. I get a bunch of summon failures and many times the bonfires going out and the whispers starting up end with nothing happening, but there's definitely people playing this here.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I hope that was I goon I just ran into as a cat bro because your strategy is hilarious and I'm sorry for stabbing you while you were dancing.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

bat duck posted:

Is this game completely dead on pc, or is it just that I live in Europe? I cant find anyone to invade or summon. Played the pc version for like 25 hours and seen 4 summon signs and been invaded like 6 times.

I guess so, I'm sitting here waiting for someone to summon me at the gargoyles but I'm getting nothing. Can't be my level, at least I don't think, since I'm SL1. Unless people are taking on the gargoyles at a higher level these days. I just wanna get some humanity and slaughter an easy boss with a twinked out lowbie.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Dark Souls II specultation: You are Atorias.

That random lady is Cirian.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Dark Souls II speculation: gonna own!!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

cat doter posted:

I guess so, I'm sitting here waiting for someone to summon me at the gargoyles but I'm getting nothing. Can't be my level, at least I don't think, since I'm SL1. Unless people are taking on the gargoyles at a higher level these days. I just wanna get some humanity and slaughter an easy boss with a twinked out lowbie.

I can say from experience that being level 15 is WAY better for Gargoyles than 1. At 15 I can get summons every 5-10 minutes. As 1 there are barely even signs down, let alone summons.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I can say from experience that being level 15 is WAY better for Gargoyles than 1. At 15 I can get summons every 5-10 minutes. As 1 there are barely even signs down, let alone summons.

At level one you only get 1-11, but 15 you get around 5-25 so it's just better numbers wise.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Dear From Software,
Fix your loving netcode!
Sincerely,
Everyone

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just realized today that you get humanity for having a message rated well. I now rate every "Need Humanity" message.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

This is my SL1 character though so I'm not about to start pumping levels into him. Anyway, I decided to use those cracked red eye orbs you get at the start to do some invading around the church. Mean. Funny, but mean. Kinda funny seeing newbies trying to hit me with their starter gear and doing basically no damage while I'm getting in hits for 300 or so. For a level 1 I'm pretty much a walking juggernaut. I've become a Dark Souls rear end in a top hat!

Actually, this is really the first time I've done any invading. I need to feel like a badass after getting my rear end kicked for hours though.

sector_corrector posted:

I just realized today that you get humanity for having a message rated well. I now rate every "Need Humanity" message.

Good man. Most people (ie me) forget to do this all the time, it's kind of a shame it's not more of a thing. You should expect to see every 'need humanity!' sign with a bunch of upvotes.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I pretty much always invade in the Parish with the cracked orbs, although I'm never really twinked out in any way by that point. You can be a real shithead from that ledge behind the ladder up to Gargoyles. I swear, people see the invasion message and if you don't actively come for them they will forget about you. Another good place to hang out is in the room with all the hollows and the channeler(if they haven't killed it). That is how you be the ultimate dick to a newbie other than lightning katana ninja flips.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cat doter posted:

Good man. Most people (ie me) forget to do this all the time, it's kind of a shame it's not more of a thing. You should expect to see every 'need humanity!' sign with a bunch of upvotes.

I intentionally don't upvote those messages. You need to EARN your humanity :colbert:

I always upvote messages that are genuinely helpful/actually funny.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
http://www.twitch.tv/fordalla

Doing gargoyles, if you aint in here, you're missin out.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Itchy Bear Dong posted:

This owns.

electrohead
May 24, 2007

Everybody loves you.
Oh dear. I got a bit cocky with my big brass balls and after beating the second gargoyle in Anor Londo I decided to continue on up into the cathedral area with my 30000 souls and 2 humanity. Of course, I killed the giants and killed the three bat things down the stairs and got wrecked by the other two hiding in the tower thing down the ramp.

I've now attempted to recover my stain 5 times. Each time I grab it and the bat things aggro and kill me right there again--so now I'm up to like 45-something souls in that drat stain. Is there any way to hit them or pull them singly when they're hiding behind the pillars? I have pyro and a bow but I can't get a bead on them and if I try fire orb it just pulls both at once.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The trick is really to just run past them. I never fight them anymore. I kept fighting everything on the way to the Solaire bonfire until like my 7th attempt at the archers.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Yeah, give up on your 30000 souls, you'll make it back easily enough, and just run past all those rear end holes. The giant might hit you, but you can drink an estus once through the fence. One, maybe two of the demons will hit you while running past them, but they give you plenty of time to heal on the runways. Run to the big pillar just before the archers, and all of them will be in the past.

Then roll through the arrows.

electrohead
May 24, 2007

Everybody loves you.
Sounds like a plan, actually... I just usually save the running past things for when I know what I'm running into. I'll give it a try later, letting my blood pressure drop for a bit.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

electrohead posted:

Oh dear. I got a bit cocky with my big brass balls and after beating the second gargoyle in Anor Londo I decided to continue on up into the cathedral area with my 30000 souls and 2 humanity. Of course, I killed the giants and killed the three bat things down the stairs and got wrecked by the other two hiding in the tower thing down the ramp.

I've now attempted to recover my stain 5 times. Each time I grab it and the bat things aggro and kill me right there again--so now I'm up to like 45-something souls in that drat stain. Is there any way to hit them or pull them singly when they're hiding behind the pillars? I have pyro and a bow but I can't get a bead on them and if I try fire orb it just pulls both at once.

I died there once and solved that problem with an arrow. They can't both fit through the entrance to the ramp up and if you're lucky, one of them will fall.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Itchy Bear Dong posted:

That invader was amazing, ahaha.

Watched and cheered him on while he fought through everything in Darkmoon, then backstabbed him off the cliff right as he grabbed the wolf ring.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 10, 2012

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I really gotta get a .gif of my bro killing the taurus.

at 48 minutes http://www.twitch.tv/fordalla/b/346795028

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 10, 2012

Crestfallen Poster
Apr 17, 2009

Let me guess. Fate of the Undead, right? Well, you're not the first.
Dinosaur Gum
I just got summoned into this :psyduck:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The first NPC you run into in Dark Souls 2 will be the Crestfallen Sunbro, whom you may summon at bosses but he'll spend most of the time just standing around sighing. Snuggly the Crow will be back and this time she'll provide you with quest directions, but only if you drop items that were sold to you by Patches the 42nd, who lives in his family's ancient estate guarded by wheel skeletons.

electrohead
May 24, 2007

Everybody loves you.

Crestfallen Poster posted:

I just got summoned into this :psyduck:

I got summoned into something very similar a couple times (in a row--the same situation) at the same place.

vvvv There wasn't the ghost kid though.

electrohead fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 10, 2012

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

What's with the creepy ghost child on the left?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ok a few questions. I searched a few times and couldn't find poo poo in the way of information.

1. What is the difference between fire/lightning/magic/divine damage? Do they scale differently? Is there a "best" one? I'm planning on enchanting Ricard's Rapier when I get it, just not sure with what yet.

2. Are there any elemental upgrade paths that let you buff weapons in addition to the enchantment? Occult or Chaos perhaps?

Crestfallen Poster
Apr 17, 2009

Let me guess. Fate of the Undead, right? Well, you're not the first.
Dinosaur Gum

Bertrand Hustle posted:

What's with the creepy ghost child on the left?

That's the (apparently hacking, judging by his head size) black phantom that smashed me with Dark Bead as soon as I spawned in.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

fennesz posted:

1. What is the difference between fire/lightning/magic/divine damage? Do they scale differently? Is there a "best" one? I'm planning on enchanting Ricard's Rapier when I get it, just not sure with what yet.

Different enemies resist different types of damage. Lightning is generally considered the best one since very little resists it. Fire is also good but more stuff resists so it generally won't pack as much punch as lightning. Divine doesn't do as much bonus damage as the others against most enemies, but has the effect of permanently killing the respawning enemies encountered in some areas. Magic scales with int so a mage character using magic weapons will do more damage with them.

fennesz posted:

2. Are there any elemental upgrade paths that let you buff weapons in addition to the enchantment? Occult or Chaos perhaps?

The only upgrade path that can upgraded aside from the main one is raw. Basically, if you upgrade a weapon to apply an enchantment to it you won't be able to buff it with another.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Different enemies resist different types of damage. Lightning is generally considered the best one since very little resists it. Fire is also good but more stuff resists so it generally won't pack as much punch as lightning. Divine doesn't do as much bonus damage as the others against most enemies, but has the effect of permanently killing the respawning enemies encountered in some areas. Magic scales with int so a mage character using magic weapons will do more damage with them.

The only upgrade path that can upgraded aside from the main one is raw. Basically, if you upgrade a weapon to apply an enchantment to it you won't be able to buff it with another.

Alright, that's more or less what I thought. Thanks for solidifying it. I think I'm going with Lightning on Ricards, I really don't want to farm up another slab for it and gently caress buffing it whenever I feel like using it.

e: poo poo Lightning and regular use the same slab types :negative:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Farming slabs is awful. Darkwraiths 'drop' slabs in the same sense that the sky 'drops' meteorites worth thousands of dollars.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Internet Kraken posted:

Magic scales with int so a mage character using magic weapons will do more damage with them.

Similarly, Divine and Occult weapons scale with faith and so higher faith gives you higher damage. Granted this still didn't make it a good idea to use Divine/Occult but I figured I should mention there is some upside to Occult/Divine weaponry. It's just that a +15 version of whatever weapon will probably be a hell a of a lot more effective than the Occult/Divine version.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Farming slabs is awful. Darkwraiths 'drop' slabs in the same sense that the sky 'drops' meteorites worth thousands of dollars.

The first time I wandered into New Londo Ruins I got 3 slabs from the Darkwraiths. No gold serpent ring, 0 humanity, hollow. I turned off the game and went and bought a powerball ticket. I did not win.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The chances of 3 slabs in one trip has to be pretty similar to winning the lottery. I realize that's what you're saying but... seriously. Like probably literally.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The wiki said man-serpent greatswords were rare.

I had four by the time I finished Sen's on my first playthrough.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz9QZAb6sHE

I have way too much fun with kicks and dung in this game.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz9QZAb6sHE

I have way too much fun with kicks and dung in this game.

I've gotta kick more.

P.S. you're a huge turd :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
The one where he dies from the dung toxin just as you are being sent back to your home world is pretty amazing.

• Locked thread