Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Yodzilla posted:

Apparently you haven't seen how I play Far Cry 3.

It really sucks that the game doesn't seem to let you bail out of vehicles when airborne. Driving off a cliff and going into the wingsuit would be sick.

If it allowed you to do that it would pretty much be Just Cause the FPS.

I would be ok with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I love how enemies, specifically Privateers, have no way around their own vehicle roadblocks.

I was somewhat riding backseat on a privateer-driven jeep and wasn't paying attention to where he was driving. I suddenly heard a crash and looked ahead. He had crashed into the road block. Me and the rest got out of the cars and just stood there. 5 privateers in total, standing around, a couple of them smoking.

One of them goes "You know what I need right now?" before getting steamrolled by a 4th privateer vehicle from the other side!

No one called him a traitor though :mad:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Attention Horse posted:

I did exactly that yesterday (I can confirm that it was sick), so yeah, it's possible.

Whaaaat I could have sworn it wouldn't let me out. Does it just take a while?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
RE: stealth bonus from camps, you don't really need xp anyway. I'm only at Badtown and I already have every skill I need, and I have like 16 skill points free. The game really throws xp at you if you bother to explore a bit.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So anyhow, I've come across multiple references to AI not respawning in FC3. Where does that come from? Because it was in my session earlier.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

You just have to hold X (on xbox) and you'll go tumbling out of whatever vehicle you are in whether it is in contract with the ground at that time or not.

Useful for driving a truck full of those tribal dudes into the middle of an outpost.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Drops when you are in a car are sure a lot less survivable than I am used to. It was just a little bit of a cliff, my jeep landed right side up and everything, but I was dead inside.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Combat Pretzel posted:

So anyhow, I've come across multiple references to AI not respawning in FC3. Where does that come from? Because it was in my session earlier.

When you secure a radio tower and clear any outposts in the area, red-shirts become so rare that they may as well not respawn at all. Clearing every area in the game world means there are barely any spots where enemies can spawn outside of missions, which you've likely finished by that point. It gets to the point where you're still unlocking new guns and items, but you haven't got anything to shoot with them.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Yodzilla posted:

Whaaaat I could have sworn it wouldn't let me out. Does it just take a while?

I just tried to record the jump for proof, but now for some reason I can't do it :smith:, what the hell. I'll keep on trying.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
You need to be airborne outside of the vehicle for a good amount of time for it to let you – long enough for the wing suit prompt to show up. So you won't be getting it to work for small cliffs and hills.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

Yodzilla posted:

Apparently you haven't seen how I play Far Cry 3.

It really sucks that the game doesn't seem to let you bail out of vehicles when airborne. Driving off a cliff and going into the wingsuit would be sick.

You have described Just Cause 2, except replace wingsuit with parachute.

Seriously, this is a 10000000% more involving, first person version of Just Cause 2, which is was my favorite game of all time.

e: I am now on the part where you go to the second island. I was really shaken by the last few story parts before this. I've seen lots of movies where I don't care nearly this much about the players. Video games? Not even close. Really disturbing, especially the loading screen.

Anyone else discover that you get separate prompts to talk to people once you've rescued them? Like, there's a second dialog you get to do?

Also, the drugs in the cave that take you on a trip down memory lane- where you discover this whole mess is all your fault?

silverbullitt850 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 10, 2012

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I've been trying to leave outposts alone so that there are more dudes during missions and stuff, then going through and clearing them as I collectible hunt. It's working pretty well so far.

I'm actually considering starting another save and just using regular weapons the whole time so I don't end up abusing the hell out of the vector half way through.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
The airport area on island #2 pretty reliably respawns bad guys, in my experience. I have that island 100% cleared and they're still spawning.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Samurai Sanders posted:

Drops when you are in a car are sure a lot less survivable than I am used to. It was just a little bit of a cliff, my jeep landed right side up and everything, but I was dead inside.

As many times as I've killed myself this way I kinda like it. It's a good First Person Driving A Jeep Over The Cliff Simulator.

Also as much as I love this game I'm fully ready for a new Just Cause. I think I might go back and play 2 some more just 'cause.

Factor Mystic posted:

The airport area on island #2 pretty reliably respawns bad guys, in my experience. I have that island 100% cleared and they're still spawning.

I liked meeting fellow mercenaries on the second island, saying hello and then chain killing them in hilarious ways.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Swartz posted:

On a side note: am I the only one who doesn't give a poo poo about Vaas? Yeah he's well acted and all, but I don't get the people who love his character so much that they want a playing-as-Vaas DLC. He didn't strike me as that interesting. Maybe I'm just reacting negatively to how his character was so hyped.
I wouldn't say I give no shits about Vaas but there are several characters I found more entertaining. Buck and Sam come to mind.

Even if Vaas was my favorite character I wouldn't want to play as him, 'cause I can't see how he wouldn't just be the least entertaining/interesting character all of a sudden, like every fps protagonist.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Just Cause 2 was insanely fun but makes Far Cry 3 seem like a physics simulator in comparison. Your body could hit the ground at 200 mph and you'd take no damage at all as long as you remembered to hit the ground with your grappling hook beforehand. However there was a lot more diversity of vehicles and the world had a lot more different. kinds of terrain etc. to play in. Definitely looking forward to the third installment.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
I did it :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBzGSHzadEE

(sorry for my terrible music in the background, I forgot to turn off winamp)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Pretty loving boss right there.

I don't even know why they bothered putting hang gliders on the second island. Also they should let people start a new game with the wingsuit from the beginning once they beat the game.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
Nice moves Attention Horse :hf:

Yodzilla posted:

I don't even know why they bothered putting hang gliders on the second island. Also they should let people start a new game with the wingsuit from the beginning once they beat the game.
Hang gliders keep altitude a lot better, which can be nice because you can just bail and switch to wingsuit if you want speed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yodzilla posted:

I don't think the wingsuit can't travel as far as the hangglider, the wingsuit properly glides and loses altitude constantly but the hangglider can pretty much fly.

Attention Horse posted:

I did it :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBzGSHzadEE

(sorry for my terrible music in the background, I forgot to turn off winamp)

Well done! I was pretty sure I did this before, but its kinda wonky so I was doubting myself. This is pretty much the perfect example, huuuuuge drop.

I love how the cars explode into huge gasoline fires, even if mythbusters kinda debunked that.

Nothing more fun than shooting the driver and watching the passengers go over a cliff with no way to respond.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Yesss.I was thinking the exact same thing. I started a new game on hard and I have accidentally killed myself like 4 times already because I forgot I don't have the wing suit

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I can't decide if I prefer the AMR or my modified Z93. The AMR can one-shot loving cars, which is hilarious, and it makes a nice boom. On the other hand, the silencer on the Z93 makes it a lot of fun for stealth... I tend to take most of my outposts by stealthy sniping, and actually find ways to rely on the same tactic in missions too. I did take an outpost undetected with the AMR using basically similar tactics, but the AI definitely seemed quicker at sussing out my position and I had what felt like more close calls. Plus I'm worried that in missions my ability to take dudes out undetected across cannons or whatnot will fall behind. Is the range on the Bushman good enough to do that? I also kind of liked needing to get headshots with the sniper rifle... but the AMR does have that boom, and exploding cars is amazing. What are other people sniping with late-game?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I played most of the game in stealth so it was a nice change of pace to use the AMR and just blow things apart toward the end.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

I can't decide if I prefer the AMR or my modified Z93. The AMR can one-shot loving cars, which is hilarious, and it makes a nice boom. On the other hand, the silencer on the Z93 makes it a lot of fun for stealth... I tend to take most of my outposts by stealthy sniping, and actually find ways to rely on the same tactic in missions too. I did take an outpost undetected with the AMR using basically similar tactics, but the AI definitely seemed quicker at sussing out my position and I had what felt like more close calls. Plus I'm worried that in missions my ability to take dudes out undetected across cannons or whatnot will fall behind. Is the range on the Bushman good enough to do that? I also kind of liked needing to get headshots with the sniper rifle... but the AMR does have that boom, and exploding cars is amazing. What are other people sniping with late-game?
I tried out the AMR but went back to my silenced Z93 simply because it felt better, seeing dudes fly is hilarious but that's why I carry a bow + explosive arrows.

I don't use the bushman but I have a regular p416 (is that the name?) with a silencer and other stuff (thanks to Gibbed's mod, I think) which amounts to the same thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Lots of the silencers feel kinda OP to me. Guns shouldn't be nearly that quiet when silenced, and some weapons like the .50 cal Z93 just shouldn't have silencers AFAIK. (You can't do subsonic .50, can you?)

Since the game is easy enough already, I'm trying to avoid using them for added challenge / realism. I'll allow myself the silencer on the P416 pistol and the smaller caliber bolt action sniper and that's it. Even submachineguns should make TONS more noise when silenced.

The bushmaster is just too good. The silenced P416 at least is somewhat inaccurate and slow to fire, so that counters the silencer being so good. Bushmaster has range and accuracy and big clips, its easy mode. It does look sexy though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hey guys for all of you who like to complain about the game being too easy (and I see this a lot in various SA threads) here is a ProTip for you: don't play video games so often!

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011

Earwicker posted:

Hey guys for all of you who like to complain about the game being too easy (and I see this a lot in various SA threads) here is a ProTip for you: don't play video games so often!
Pssh, yeah, sure thing :thumbsup:

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I can't decide whether to grab this for 360 or for PC - normally for a FPS it wouldn't be a contest as I much prefer popping heads with a mouse, but my comp has been acting up lately and may die in the next month or so.

I know I'll take a graphics hit, but regarding the controls and how they affect the gameplay, how much worse is it on sticks than on KB&M? And generally, is there any reason I should steer clear of the 360 version if I may be getting a new comp in the next couple of months?

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
Well that was just about the worst ending(s) I've ever seen.

Edit: But not to be such a dickhead downer, I will say that I had fun with the game itself and the first 2/3's were pretty awesome. I just thought it was going to be so much more. The story arc in this game sailed just about as well as a North Korean missile. Straight up into the air with magnificence and applause and straight back down with horrified disgust.

Nerolus fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 10, 2012

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Man, I think I totally ballsed up playing this game. I front-loaded with the open-world stuff until the first island was basically exhausted, and now I've been having to punch out a ton of story missions[1], and holy loving god-damned hell, its just been loving grindingly tedious :psyduck: I'm just gritting my teeth with a *another* mob-rush (saving 'Willis') at the moment; how much more of this do I have to wade through before I can do fun things again?

[1] "Kick the Hornet's Nest" through to "Fly South" in a single, mostly unbroken block :smith:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zaphod42 posted:

Lots of the silencers feel kinda OP to me. Guns shouldn't be nearly that quiet when silenced, and some weapons like the .50 cal Z93 just shouldn't have silencers AFAIK. (You can't do subsonic .50, can you?)

The whole idea of putting a suppressor on a weapon like the Z93 would be to distort the sound of the shot, making it more difficult for enemies to locate the shooter. You don't need subsonic ammunition to do this. The thing is, people think that "suppressor" = "silencer" = something you put on a firearm so people can't hear you shooting it. Generally suppressors aren't used for this, since it's very difficult to make a firearm legitimately silent. Chalk it up to video game logic.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

magimix posted:

Man, I think I totally ballsed up playing this game. I front-loaded with the open-world stuff until the first island was basically exhausted, and now I've been having to punch out a ton of story missions[1], and holy loving god-damned hell, its just been loving grindingly tedious :psyduck: I'm just gritting my teeth with a *another* mob-rush (saving 'Willis') at the moment; how much more of this do I have to wade through before I can do fun things again?

[1] "Kick the Hornet's Nest" through to "Fly South" in a single, mostly unbroken block :smith:

You're on the mission that leads you to the second island as soon as you finish it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Well, birgirpal (of BF3 fame) finally got around to breaking Far Cry 3. Pretty sure this is an accurate depiction of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neFdVIK5xac

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Captain Novolin posted:

You're on the mission that leads you to the second island as soon as you finish it.

Thank gently caress for that! Cheers for the heads-up; I feel like I am a few minutes away from throwing in the towel, but I shall see if I can tough it out.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So there is a road new the one of the pirate outposts. If you drive along this road you will see a sign that says "Gas" with an arrow pointing down a fork. If you drive down this fork you will go off a cliff and into a car graveyard.

I obviously look at my map instead of following road signs so I only went down this road because I thought it would be a faster way to my objective, but nonetheless, I ended up in a car graveyard.

This loving game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
If there's anything I like more than suddenly random spurts of text

it's random spurts of TECKST EN CAPSZ!! :derp:

(getting the pirates to drive into the water was funny though)

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
I wish the enemies would try to recapture their lost bases. I've done 4 game quests and captured the entire first island. If they implemented that I'd probably play this game 3x longer.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Man, I was really positively surprised by this game. I was pretty much as disappointed by Far Cry 2 as everybody else was and mostly bought this on the strength of Crysis 1 and 2, but wow, this is actually good. The actual shooting doesn't feel as smooth and visceral as it did in Crysis, but does everything else just fit together!

I was kind of sceptical about the RPG elements at first, because everyone and their grandma seems to think they're mandatory these days, but they actually work really well here. The whole game has this weird, dreamlike quality to it where I'm never quite sure what's actually happening and what isn't - this is well executed in the boss fights, which are as much metaphorical as actual "fights" (and nicely circumvent the problem of a game where every enemy is supposedly a normal, bullet-vulnerable human being.) Is the tatau actually there? Does it grow? Are you imagining it? I still have no idea. Still, it's a good reason to make you quickly advance through three categories of useful abilities without just handing them to you arbitrarily for no reason.

The crafting parts are also really nicely done. It's definitely something you want to do, but without becoming tedious in the process. Not having regenerating health is always a plus, because it actually makes you pay attention, but the medicine syringes you can craft are a nice alternative to health packs - you always want to have a few, but you don't want to have too many, because syringe space is at a premium and the other meds you can craft are just so useful.

So, yeah, great game. It's a shame it isn't getting all that much attention, because it's actually a really good game on its own strength, rather than coasting by on the brand name.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
Great game, yes. Terrible story arc, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

magimix posted:

I'm just gritting my teeth with a *another* mob-rush (saving 'Willis') at the moment;

Don't worry, that was my least favorite part of the game. They don't do that to you too much :)

seriously the part where they send 3 heavies at you and willis, that part sucked. I could take them by myself, but he just stands there and dies. Its so hard to deal with the heavies AND the pirates AND protect willis AND not die.

• Locked thread