Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

The Gunslinger posted:

I've been fine with Supernews and using Blocknews to supplement as a backup server in SAB. What I thought were takedowns was actually some corrupt poo poo from Astraweb.

If it was corrupt poo poo from Astraweb it probably was DMCA related - Astraweb's automated DMCA system was among the earliest to be hit, and hit hard, by the companies representing media interests. They get so many notices that I won't be surprised if they are the next to go.

Like I said, it's random chance at the moment, not anything special Supernews is doing to avoid it. When a request is made, they have to comply, and they have to comply immediately, without warning or delay - or face being put out of business. The actual notices depend on the media and whether the studio behind it either cares enough to police it themselves or hires some other company to do it. The old trick was simply to repost/rename since notices are only good for the specific article, but these days even that isn't enough, not with the rise of third party companies willing to do that level of policing for a fee.

It's effective, which means it's only going to get worse - it's a virtual guarantee that HBO will be seriously stepping up when Game of Thrones comes back on the air, to name just one example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That's kind of my worry more than the indexers going down. We have a ton of ways to find stuff on Usenet, but it's not really going to matter if all the major providers have everything DMCA'd as soon as it's up.

Trauts
May 1, 2010
sabnzbd and supernews are not playing nice for me, no matter what port I use. Its acting like news.supernews.com is an invalid host, whereas its never done that before and supernews' site is up and running. Anyone else having issues with supernews?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

That's kind of my worry more than the indexers going down. We have a ton of ways to find stuff on Usenet, but it's not really going to matter if all the major providers have everything DMCA'd as soon as it's up.

It's annoying because the legal options are few and far in between. HBO Go is nice, but it's stream-only and requires a full cable subscription (I still use it all the time). ITunes and Amazon are hit or miss with a lot of newer shows, and let's not even talk about the wasted promise of Hulu. Media companies seem perfectly content to force everyone in to expensive subscription TV options, where you pay for a lot of content you don't want, and are locked down tight when it comes to viewing that content anywhere other than their own box.

For me it's never been about free, it's about convenience. I travel all the time, and there have been many occasions where I missed the previous nights show where I've had to buy it on iTunes - so I can watch it on the plane - for a channel I already pay a subscription for.

It was always my hope that rampant video piracy would help bring about newer, legal business models, much like what has happened in the music industry. I buy DRM-free music on Amazon and iTunes all the time these days. We can only hope for the rest.

Richard Tesarik
Jul 19, 2002

I make eye-patches and Hero of the Soviet Union medals look good.

Trauts posted:

sabnzbd and supernews are not playing nice for me, no matter what port I use. Its acting like news.supernews.com is an invalid host, whereas its never done that before and supernews' site is up and running. Anyone else having issues with supernews?
Working ok for me on port 443 SSL. I remember having to delete the server in the sabnzbd config and re-add it with exactly the same settings to get it to work a while back.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Trauts posted:

You might click through the config and see if the "reenable host" button is showing up. Sometimes if it gets a login failure for whatever reason it will disable the host until you click the button.

I can't remember what config page it is on at the moment.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Ixian posted:

It's annoying because the legal options are few and far in between. HBO Go is nice, but it's stream-only and requires a full cable subscription (I still use it all the time). ITunes and Amazon are hit or miss with a lot of newer shows, and let's not even talk about the wasted promise of Hulu. Media companies seem perfectly content to force everyone in to expensive subscription TV options, where you pay for a lot of content you don't want, and are locked down tight when it comes to viewing that content anywhere other than their own box.
Maybe they'll keep this poo poo up long enough to drive some people to reading.

poo poo, if my options were restricted to cable or DVDs I'd go back to not watching TV anymore.

quote:

It was always my hope that rampant video piracy would help bring about newer, legal business models
Afterall, competition drives innovation.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is nzbs.org completely down or what? The favicon comes up properly on my browser tab, but then it's just a blank page.

vvvv ah, cheers, didn't know about that

404notfound fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 10, 2012

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

404notfound posted:

Is nzbs.org completely down or what? The favicon comes up properly on my browser tab, but then it's just a blank page.

add /forum onto the end

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

Like I said, it's random chance at the moment, not anything special Supernews is doing to avoid it.

Right, I wasn't implying they did, just saying if you have a decent provider with a backup server then you'll probably be fine and there's not much more that you can do beyond that.

Vastly Outnumbered
Dec 10, 2003

Donald Duck posted:

add /forum onto the end

Looks like this is no longer working either.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
The Mayans were right!

But seriously, whats wrong with sick beards own indexer? Seems like most of my weekly shows are sourced there just fine.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Ingram posted:

The Mayans were right!

But seriously, whats wrong with sick beards own indexer? Seems like most of my weekly shows are sourced there just fine.

Probably not for long. I wouldn't expect any public indexer - especially one tied to Sickbeard, which the media conglomerates most certainly are aware of - to remain up for long after this. Oh, there will be a few holdouts located overseas, but if we've learned anything from public bittorrent trackers in the last few years, they won't last either.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I have an account on nzbs.org and it aint loading for me, so it's kind of kaputt.

PS: Unicorns are great!

Billa fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 10, 2012

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Billa posted:

I have an account on nzbs.org and it aint loading for me, so it's kind of kaputt.

PS: Unicorns are great!

That kinda sucks. I'd pretty much moved off of Usenet for everything but Sickbeard, but it was helpful to have RSS for stuff the tvdb people were being d-bags about.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I just can't believe I'm still rolling my eyes at companies doing this stuff like 10 years later. I'd love to see some data on how many people 'pirate' shows and stuff now compared with a few years ago. I'm sure most people who lose their Usenet are just going to move on to Torrents. Or HTTP stuff. or any of the other tons of alternative routes.

I mean, it can't be that effective, can it? PirateBay is still online for crying out loud.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I just tried to access NZBs.org and it is working for me now and loaded great, so I guess it was just a massive hit by the matrix close.

dunkan
Jul 10, 2006

rage is everywhere

Billa posted:

I just tried to access NZBs.org and it is working for me now and loaded great, so I guess it was just a massive hit by the matrix close.

Even though the site was down, my api calls were still succeeding yesterday. So maybe it was just their web front-end dying.

Dude With Pants
May 29, 2010
nzbs.org works great here . Btw here is another indexer similar to nzbmatrix , newztown.co.za

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What I dont understand is that the networks see this kind of setup, how popular it is and how simple it is, yet they wont embrace it.

I mean its obviously possible since usenet exists. just loving make me pay the money to the networks rather than some guy with a bunch of servers. what is so hard to comprehend about that?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Laserface posted:

What I dont understand is that the networks see this kind of setup, how popular it is and how simple it is, yet they wont embrace it.

I mean its obviously possible since usenet exists. just loving make me pay the money to the networks rather than some guy with a bunch of servers. what is so hard to comprehend about that?

Yeah but then how would they control every aspect of how you view/use their material. Geesh!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Squibbles posted:

Yeah but then how would they control every aspect of how you view/use their material. Geesh!

well they shouldnt. if youre buying something, you should own it to do with as you please, but thats getting off topic.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
The bloody Sunday thread is locked now but nzb.su is no longer up for me. Anyone else?

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Edit:

Wait I tried: https://nzb.su/index.php and that works.

I just checked their forums, there were a ton of accounts removed last night.

Loten fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 11, 2012

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Loten posted:

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Edit:

Wait I tried: https://nzb.su/index.php and that works.

That is taking me to http://usenet.elit3ge.net/register and not loading.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
You have to put it directly in the URL bar. Any referrers it's rerouting to that other site.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Red Robin Hood posted:

That is taking me to http://usenet.elit3ge.net/register and not loading.

That link is doing that for me too now, yet going from my history works.

^or that.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I'm sure they are trying to cut down on as much traffic as possible. Thanks for the workaround, though!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Dude With Pants posted:

nzbs.org works great here . Btw here is another indexer similar to nzbmatrix ,

Similar in that it had a semi-decent UI?
Because if it continues to get bumrushed as it seems to be at the moment, I wouldn't think it too outlandish for it to take a nose-dive, albeit a temporary one.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Red Robin Hood posted:

The bloody Sunday thread is locked now but nzb.su is no longer up for me. Anyone else?

The account I had no longer works, which is weird because I've been a member since like forever. Although I didn't really use it.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Untagged posted:

The account I had no longer works, which is weird because I've been a member since like forever. Although I didn't really use it.

They purged inactive accounts that hadn't upgraded to VIP due to the influx of new registrations.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

monkeybounce posted:

They purged inactive accounts that hadn't upgraded to VIP due to the influx of new registrations.
I just saw this mess occurring today and went to upgrade to VIP and they will not let you upgrade at the moment. I would love to give someone some money to support their work. Is there someplace I can get a list of indexes that are open for registration? I'm sure they are all closed at the moment but when they do open it would be nice to know

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

This is probably a dumb question, but would a Holland provider be less susceptible to DMCA stuff? Or is it still all up in the air and random?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Well gently caress, NZBMatrix is dead :(

Whats the recomended alternative these days?

e: Jesus gently caress, what a bloodbath. Whirlpool, the big australian mega-forum had a masterlist of NZB indexers posted 2 days ago for NZBMatrix refugees, and almost every single one of them is now dead in the water. WTF is going on?

duck monster fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 11, 2012

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

duck monster posted:

Well gently caress, NZBMatrix is dead :(

Whats the recomended alternative these days?

Would probably recommend reading the last couple of pages.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Caedes posted:

Would probably recommend reading the last couple of pages.

Yeah doing that now. I didn't realise it was such a major issue!

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but would a Holland provider be less susceptible to DMCA stuff? Or is it still all up in the air and random?

I'm interested in this too. Adding one as backup might be handy.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

god drat it, is there any way to get a status update on nzbs.org? I want to use my account for things and DGAF about this 'refugees' looking for another indexer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Laserface posted:

god drat it, is there any way to get a status update on nzbs.org? I want to use my account for things and DGAF about this 'refugees' looking for another indexer.

nzbs.org/login