Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

tatankatonk posted:

People regularly encounter co2 levels of 1500 to 2000 ppm in buildings that have a lot of occupants wothout noticing.

Yeah, but there's a difference between occasional exposure in one location and being exposed for your entire life. I know human physiology operates differently at high altitude, for example, and you wouldn't necessarily notice that.

But if the answer is "no real effect, it's too small", that's cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CO2 is pretty inert and does not harm you to breathe it. When that one lake belched out pure CO2 and killed a whole town, it was through suffocation, not poisoning. As long as the atmosphere has enough oxygen for us, the CO2 level is not a concern for our bodies.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nyos

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I don't know if anybody else has been following the live coverage of the Doha climate talks, but there's some choice quotes in there (and hold on to your hats, but it looks like it's been pretty disappointing overall).

Asad Rehman, spokesperson for Friends of the Earth International posted:

It's an empty shell, an insult to our futures. There is literally no point in countries signing up to this sham of a deal, which will lock the planet in to many more years of inaction. What the world and its people need is more urgent action on cutting climate pollution, more help to those transforming their economies and more help to those already facing climate impacts. This text fails on every count.

LIdy Nacpil of Jubilee South Asia Pacific posted:

[The Doha texts are] a million miles from where we need to be to even have a small chance of preventing runaway climate change. As civil society movements, we are saying that this is not acceptable.

The Philippines' negotiator almost broke down in tears during his speech - later followed by goggle-eyed chump Christopher Monckton giving this short speech and being subsequently kicked out of the talks and apparently permabanned from the UNFCCC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwjC-MMKwRY

Plenty of blame to go around but many people are apparently not happy with how the event has been organised.

quote:

...A source at the talks, who asked not to be named, accused the Qatari's of treating the event like they were hosting a World Cup instead of a climate conference.
"It's total chaos," they told BusinessGreen. "The Qataris have lost control of what's going on and it's a car crash.
"The COP president didn't take control of the talks in the last three days, so we don't have agreements on a couple of the really difficult technicalities that should have been sorted by now."
Fears are now mounting that, at best, COP18 will result in a weak draft text being agreed or, at worst, no deal being reached at all...
Source link

Guardian environment correspondent Fiona Harvey posted:

Haven't spoken to a single delegate who thinks the Qataris are doing a good job. They don't seem to mind people being here all night and have failed to force countries to make a decision. They need to get a grip, I'm told, perhaps with the aid of other countries.

And further confirmation that we're as good as locked in to 2°C at this point.

Prof Nigel Arnell, Director of the Walker Institute at the University of Reading posted:

The talks in Doha are trying hard to set the agenda for a new global treaty in 2015 binding countries to reductions in emissions. However, to have even a 50% chance of limiting warming to 2C, global greenhouse emissions need to peak by 2020 and then come down at several percent per year. It’s hard to see how this can be achieved now, even if a new global emissions deal is agreed by 2015.

Bob Ward, policy and communications director at the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment at London School of Economics and Political Science posted:

This meeting is making excruciatingly slow progress on tying up issues left over from last year, including formal agreement on a second commitment period for the Kyoto Protocol and on the provision of financial support from rich countries to developing countries between 2013 and 2020. It is important that these issues are resolved during this summit, even though the negotiations are running on beyond their scheduled finish.

There remains an enormous mismatch between the scale and pace of the action under discussion at these talks and that which is required to manage the huge risks of climate change. In particular, there has been no real progress in strengthening current pledges to reduce emissions by 2020. The prospects of avoiding global warming of more than 2C now look increasingly remote without a rapid and substantial injection political will at both domestic and international levels.

This is all just from today's session. They're running over into an extra day of negotiations tomorrow and I'm sure there will be plenty of good summary coverage afterwards, but... yeah. :smith:

Also: diagrams!

(From http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/dec/07/carbon-dioxide-doha-information-beautiful)

TACD fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 7, 2012

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

tatankatonk posted:

People regularly encounter co2 levels of 1500 to 2000 ppm in buildings that have a lot of occupants wothout noticing.

Depends on the individual - some individuals demonstrate susceptibility once the 1000 ppm threshold has been reached; others can go up to 1500 without noticing. Generally, CO2 monitoring in the workplace is used to determine if the interior ventilation of the building is bringing in enough fresh air (as a measure of the air exchange rate) - higher CO2 levels can often correlate to other adverse indoor-air quality gasses, such as volatile organic compounds offgassing from surfaces, printer toner gasses, cleaning solvents, and so forth.

The human body uses CO2 levels to determine the amount of air we need, and not oxygen. You could reduce the oxygen levels below the human threshold without seeing any immediate physiological reactions; but once you raise the CO2 levels (even with an increased oxygen amount) the "I'm not getting enough air" feeling kicks in.

The argument of having CO2 levels at 1000ppm and people not noticing is valid; however, don't forget that it is fresh, outside air with a lower concentration of CO2 that helps dilute and bring down CO2 levels to levels around 700ppm for a well-ventilated building. If your fresh-air intake is already at 1000ppm, then I shudder to think what your indoor CO2 levels are going to be. (EG: If your ventilation intake for your building happens to be streetside, or in a high vehicle traffic area, parking garage, or poorly-designed baffling system). I don't have the report in front of me, but there is a relationship between highter CO2 levels and human productivity.

If Atmospheric CO2 levels keep climbing, it's going to take more and more clever ways to ventilate these buildings with fresh air - since we use outside air to bring down CO2 levels. Life would suck if we needed CO2 scrubbers everywhere we go.

(EDIT) - also, why the hell do they always have these climate talks during the fall / winter? With respect to our southern-lattitude counterparts, if they wanted more action - have these talks during the middle of July, when heatwaves are scorching throughout the world and newspapers publish reports of people dying of heatstroke.

Guigui fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 7, 2012

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TACD posted:

The Philippines' negotiator almost broke down in tears during his speech - later followed by goggle-eyed chump Christopher Monckton giving this short speech and being subsequently kicked out of the talks and apparently permabanned from the UNFCCC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwjC-MMKwRY

YouTube comments... :cripes:

"My Lord!"
:downsbravo:

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
The phillipines video is incredibly touching and I just posted it to facebook pleading with everyone to watch it. I doubt more than a few of my close friends will.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Well, now here's some good news:

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/20...schwarzenegger/

quote:

“YEARS OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY” to feature Matt Damon, Don Cheadle and Alec Baldwin as first-person narrators on the ground; series also to be executive produced by “60 Minutes” veterans Joel Bach & David Gelber.

I could not be more excited to announce the upcoming Showtime TV event, “Years of Living Dangerously,” a 6- to 8-part documentary series focusing on climate change, impacts and solutions.

I am the Technical Advisor for the first-of-its-kind series, which means I help advise the producers which scientists and experts they should talk to on a given story. Ultimately I’ll be looking out for any technical mistakes in the final product — which is set to air in late summer or fall 2013 — although we are assembling a science advisory board of A-list climatologists to help in that regard.

The talent that has been put together for this effort is amazing. The former “60 Minutes” producers who are exec-producing and co-exec-producing have a combined 18 Emmys! I’ve gotten to know Gelber and Bach — and they are both first rate. The print journalists involved have a combined 5 Pulitzers.

Arnold Schwarzenegger, of course, is the former Republican governor of California who enacted the nation’s most sweeping climate law, which mandates deep cuts in greenhouse gas emissions. James Cameron needs no introduction, but I can tell you that not only is he one of the most creative and imaginative people I’ve ever met, but he is also deeply passionate and knowledgeable about climate change.

Here is the Showtime release, with more background on the project and the participants:

LOS ANGELES, CA (December 03, 2012) – SHOWTIME will explore the human impact of climate change in the documentary event series YEARS OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY. This first-of-its-kind series is a collaboration between some of Hollywood’s biggest actors and producers, along with the country’s leading news journalists, who will report on first-person accounts of those affected by – and seeking solutions to – global warming. The project is executive produced by James Cameron, Jerry Weintraub, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, along with Emmy®-winning 60 Minutes producers Joel Bach and David Gelber, and climate expert Daniel Abbasi.

Film and television stars such as Matt Damon, Don Cheadle and Alec Baldwin will participate as first-person narrators on the ground. Also expected to join the project is actor Edward Norton, with more names to be announced soon. Reporting from the field is a dream team of New York Times journalists including three-time Pulitzer Prize winner Thomas Friedman, two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Nicholas Kristof, as well as renowned columnist Mark Bittman, and MSNBC host and political commentator Chris Hayes, among others. The announcement was made today by David Nevins, President of Entertainment for Showtime Networks Inc. Extensive in both scale and scope, YEARS OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY will unfold over six to eight, one-hour episodes and is scheduled to air in 2013.

“The recent devastation on the East Coast is a tragic reminder of the direct link between our daily lives and climate change,” said Nevins. “This series presents a unique opportunity to combine the large-scale filmmaking styles of James Cameron, Jerry Weintraub and Arnold Schwarzenegger — arguably some of Hollywood’s biggest movie makers – with the hard-hitting, intimate journalism of 60 Minutes veterans Joel Bach and David Gelber. I believe this combination will make for a thought-provoking television event.”

“We’ll make it exciting,” said Cameron. “We’ll make it investigative. We’ll bring people the truth. And people are always hungry for the truth.”

YEARS OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY will combine the epic and passionate styles of Hollywood’s top filmmakers with Bach and Gelber’s reporting expertise to reveal critical stories of heartbreak, hope and heroism as the race to save the planet continues.

Oscar® winner Cameron has been a long-time, vocal environmental advocate. His latest record-breaking sci-fi blockbuster Avatar, nominated for nine Academy Awards®, includes themes of civilization’s detrimental treatment of the planet. Weintraub, former chairman and CEO of United Artists and famed producer of the Ocean’s 11 franchise and other box-office hits, is well known for his philanthropic efforts on behalf of a wide variety of causes. Former California Governor Schwarzenegger is an active leader on environmental issues. As governor, he enacted the nation’s largest greenhouse gas emissions trading program. Since leaving office, he has continued to promote state and local clean energy efforts through his R20: Regions of Climate Action, and he recently announced plans to establish the USC Schwarzenegger Institute for State and Global Policy, devoted to seeking bipartisan solutions to environmental, economic, and other public policy issues. He will chair the think-tank’s board and also hold a public policy professorship at the school.

Of Gelber’s twenty-five years at 60 Minutes, he served as Ed Bradley’s producer for two decades, during which he won every major journalism award, including a Peabody, two DuPonts and eight Emmy Awards. During Bach’s seven-year tenure at 60 Minutes, he produced pieces for Bradley, Scott Pelley, Steve Kroft and Leslie Stahl. He is the recipient of three Emmy Awards. Abbasi, the founder of GameChange Capital, a venture capital firm funding low-carbon solutions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, will work with the series’ investigative team to identify and spotlight the most promising ways to decelerate climate change. Abbasi serves on the governing body of the U.S. National Climate Assessment and previously served as an appointee in the Clinton Administration’s Environmental Protection Agency.

Additionally, the series is also executive produced by Maria Wilhelm (Avatar Alliance Foundation). Seven-time Emmy winner Solly Granatstein (60 Minutes and Rock Center with Brian Williams) acts as co-executive producer, and Dr. Joseph Romm (ClimateProgress.org) serves as the Technical Advisor.

That Cameron quote has me optimistic for this. There's a dude who typically accomplishes what he sets out to do. I suppose that Schwarzenegger might lend some modest Republican credibility along with star power, and the whole project is anchored by folks who know what they're doing. Maybe this moves the needle a little bit?

The Experience
Dec 20, 2003

From the BBC Headline:

Climate talks: UN forum extends Kyoto Protocol to 2020
Breaking news

Delegates at UN climate talks in Qatar have agreed to extend the Kyoto Protocol until 2020, avoiding a major new setback. lol

The deal, agreed by nearly 200 nations, keeps the protocol alive as the only legally binding plan for combating global warming.

However, it only covers developed nations whose share of world greenhouse gas emissions is less than 15%. lol

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Does anyone know what the general consensus is amongst the population of European countries that already have invested a lot of money into renewable power generation - such as Denmark and Germany - in regards to the demand to enact legislation aimed at reducing further greenshouse gas emissions?

Here in Canada there is a division between provinces receiving heavy funds from the oil extraction industry, and other provinces (such as Quebec) that have large amount of renewable electricity generation (such as Hydro).

I don't know how much influence the fossil fuel lobby has amongst various European countries, but I know they have a very large influence here in Canada in altering public policy.

Any information would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

The Experience posted:

From the BBC Headline:

Climate talks: UN forum extends Kyoto Protocol to 2020
Breaking news

Delegates at UN climate talks in Qatar have agreed to extend the Kyoto Protocol until 2020, avoiding a major new setback. lol

The deal, agreed by nearly 200 nations, keeps the protocol alive as the only legally binding plan for combating global warming.

However, it only covers developed nations whose share of world greenhouse gas emissions is less than 15%. lol

Every conference these clowns have reinforces my belief that nothing will get done if we wait for the various leaders around the world to act. Time and time again they've shown they're utterly incapable of handling climate change. Any real progress will have to come from the bottom-up.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thank God the celebrities are going to speak out. Maybe make a movie! :jerkbag:

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Guigui posted:

I found it interesting that Civ 1 and 2(and I think Civ 3) both had global warming penalties.

Wasn't the main plot of Alpha Centauri that The Earth had been made uninhabitable by unrest caused by global warming? I'm also relatively sure that you had to balance your technology use with not screwing up the climate of the new planet you had settled.

Anyway. Here in Minnesota, we haven't yet had any snow this year like we should. It's causing a lot of people I know from classes to freak out, thinking that their Christmas is going to be ruined. I've been surprised-- because of this, a lot of them have been more accepting of the idea that climate change is behind the problem, and they seem to be (uncharacteristically) concerned about it. Maybe the zeitgeist is changing.

McDowell posted:

The battle against global warming is on two fronts: science and political opinion. Whatever helps for one will help the other.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Guigui posted:

Does anyone know what the general consensus is amongst the population of European countries that already have invested a lot of money into renewable power generation - such as Denmark and Germany - in regards to the demand to enact legislation aimed at reducing further greenshouse gas emissions?

This is from a Pew study I linked before:

I often wonder if these studies don't end up creating a bias because of the mental framing put around them. Like, in certain countries, the concept of "paying more" to reduce climate change sparks in people's minds this fear of Soviet bread lines or the economy collapsing around them or whatever instead of a mild decrease in the standard of living. In reality, even if we look at it from a cynical neoliberal perspective, the transition over to renewable/nuclear energy sources and the creation of adaptation infrastructure (seawalls, etc.) is exactly the sort of "job creation" people seem to be looking for. Reducing GHG emissions doesn't necessarily have to mean "we have to shut down all the factories," but it does mean that the power for the factories has to be provided in some other way, and that necessarily involves investment (but also economic return as a result).

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I remember some old videos of Bill O'Reilly being skeptical about climate change. Is this still his current position? Reading through the Fox News website, it seems Fox now agrees that climate change is real and is actually praising Gore and bashing Obama over the issue. How has he responded to the new line?

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
I've finally started to read Craig Dilworth's Too Smart for Our Own Good: The Ecological Predicament of Humankind, and it has thus far exceeded my expectations, which were already pretty high. The language is somewhat dry and he takes some time at the beginning to set up the basic ground rules of the physical world that have lead us to our current circumstances (the first twenty pages or so are devoted to a physics overview), but this only adds to the comprehensive and scholarly approach he takes in explaining the human condition.

I can't emphasize enough how well-researched and complete it is in explaining why humans are the way they are (1700 citations for 500 pages of analysis), and the claim on the back of the book that it is an evolutionary and biological look at human development that picks up where Darwin left off is not at all unfounded. If you are even remotely interested in understanding why climate change is but one part of a larger problem that human society faces, I can't recommend it enough.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I'm currently embroiled in debate with a pretty intelligent and well-informed skeptic. I presented Nordhaus's piece and he immediately responded with this refutation from Anthony Watts. I find many of Watts' counterpoints pretty easily dismissed, namely the social/political ones ("I am paid to do research, therefore I am a paid shill for Al Gore, etc.) but I'm not enough of a statistician to handle his graphs showing little to no warming etc.

I sense that at heart these are basically cherrypicks selected to prove his point but he's presented them convincingly. What am I missing? Can anyone give a hand with a summary of where I should focus in trying to tear these down?

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

rivetz posted:

I'm currently embroiled in debate with a pretty intelligent and well-informed skeptic. I presented Nordhaus's piece and he immediately responded with this refutation from Anthony Watts. I find many of Watts' counterpoints pretty easily dismissed, namely the social/political ones ("I am paid to do research, therefore I am a paid shill for Al Gore, etc.) but I'm not enough of a statistician to handle his graphs showing little to no warming etc.

I sense that at heart these are basically cherrypicks selected to prove his point but he's presented them convincingly. What am I missing? Can anyone give a hand with a summary of where I should focus in trying to tear these down?

http://skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Caselogic.com
Jan 5, 2002

Baron Bifford posted:

I remember some old videos of Bill O'Reilly being skeptical about climate change. Is this still his current position? Reading through the Fox News website, it seems Fox now agrees that climate change is real and is actually praising Gore and bashing Obama over the issue. How has he responded to the new line?

Fox News says whatever is convenient its agenda. Any acceptance of climate change is in line with a political attack (as you stated) and they will broadcast any and all skepticism towards it while advancing business interests (Keystone pipeline, Cap and Tax, assaults against the EPA).

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Every conference these clowns have reinforces my belief that nothing will get done if we wait for the various leaders around the world to act. Time and time again they've shown they're utterly incapable of handling climate change. Any real progress will have to come from the bottom-up.

tl;dr we're hosed. :(

Also;-

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/12/ticking-arctic-carbon-bomb-may-b.html

quote:

by 2100 permafrost holding 436 gigatons of carbon could thaw.
Hail Satan!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yea, I saw that and thought immediately of this news item from a few days ago:

quote:

...the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report, due for release in stages between September 2013 and October 2014, will not include the potential effects of the permafrost carbon feedback on global climate.
Source

So basically even though the next IPCC report isn't due until 2014 (at which point the deniers will inevitably start up their banshee shriek about alarmism) we already know it's going to ignore at least this one significant feedback effect entirely. Which will mean all their estimates downplay the actual risks / effects by some unknown enormous amount.

TACD fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 9, 2012

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

TACD posted:

So basically even though the next IPCC report isn't due until 2014 (at which point the deniers will inevitably start up their banshee shriek about alarmism) we already know it's going to ignore at least this one significant feedback effect entirely.

I have a somewhat long-standing question about this exact topic: When the effects of global warming start becoming completely undeniable, exactly how far will industrial interests go to keep the current status quo alive?

I'm not what I would call an astute student of history, and I can only speak from my own experience as an activist against coal companies in Kentucky. I just want to know, exactly how deep down will the rabbithole probably go when the poo poo hits the fan more than it already has?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

TheFuglyStik posted:

I have a somewhat long-standing question about this exact topic: When the effects of global warming start becoming completely undeniable, exactly how far will industrial interests go to keep the current status quo alive?

I'm not what I would call an astute student of history, and I can only speak from my own experience as an activist against coal companies in Kentucky. I just want to know, exactly how deep down will the rabbithole probably go when the poo poo hits the fan more than it already has?

As long as there's profit to be made, they'll fight tooth and nail. The effects of smoking tobacco were completely undeniable, and that didn't stop that industry at all. When facts become inconvenient to ideology or profit, most people ditch the facts. Climate change is already undeniable. Waiting until it fucks us with storms, flooding, drought and famine won't suddenly make oil executives see the light, so there's no reason to wait.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TheFuglyStik posted:

Industry will push for climate remediation over pollution reduction and will be happy to take government money to do it.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yep. Reduction flies in the face of the entire global economy's core assumptions. It's going to take a serious and unlikely awakening to actually try and turn back the causes, because the vested interests go way beyond merely the captains of industry here. This is way worse than tobacco, because the entire Western lifestyle is addicted to the products of these industries to the point that imagining a life without the products of industry is unfathomable for us.

We argue in this very thread what level of reduction is acceptable and realistic, and we believe in climate change. What chance has the greater public in this when there is no money in marketing a genuine reduction in consumption. Any advertising with an ecological bent is about encouraging a different kind of consumption, rather than stopping it entirely. Reusable items are suddenly seen as innovations although they are still, in the end of the day, manufacturing new stuff to replace perfectly useful existing products.

The consumption train has a poo poo load of momentum, with or without the captains of industry keeping their foot on the throttle.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Judging by this tweet, Murdoch believes in climate change but believes all proposed solutions are bad, which is probably the position Fox and industries will take when climate change becomes too bad for them to deny any more. What's more, this article suggests that Murdoch thinks one thing but lets Fox News say something else, which is downright bizarre and suggests that he doesn't have total control over everything that is said in his company.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 9, 2012

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

SORE IN THE ASS that it even exists!

Baron Bifford posted:

Judging by this tweet, Murdoch believes in climate change but believes all proposed solutions are bad, which is probably the position Fox and industries will take when climate change becomes too bad for them to deny any more. What's more, this article suggests that Murdoch thinks one thing but lets Fox News say something else, which is downright bizarre and suggests that he doesn't have total control over everything that is said in his company.

One thing is what Murdoch thinks, the other is what makes him money. Murdoch is obviously a good enough businessman to tell the difference.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-roger-ailes-built-the-fox-news-fear-factory-20110525

I don't know how accurate this article is, but it suggests that Roger Ailes has total control over Fox News and that Murdoch is afraid of him.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Uranium Phoenix posted:

My experience shows this is the case. I can only speak for the U.S., but everything I heard tells me that most local governments are taking climate change seriously. I've seen life-long Republicans not only agree that climate change is happening, but also take steps to reduce their city's/town's/village's carbon impact. One example is the U.S. Conference of Mayors' Climate Protection Agreement, which asks local governments to reduce their emissions to match the Kyoto Protocol. Mayors from all over the country have signed it.

Unfortunately, a local government can only do so much. A local government can't mandate higher mileage in cars for instance. However, local governments can shut down coal power plants, such as the recent closings in Chicago after weeks of protests.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

quote:

The short answer: the graph that Watts's argument hinges on has been doctored, and pointing out the Medieval Mega-Drought Period (err, sorry, Medieval 'Warm' Period) as a benchmark to compare contemporary warming against is a pretty terrible idea.

The long answer: Just by eyeballing it, that graph looks like it's Fredrik Ljungqvist's.

You can see quite easily what Watts did: he simply cropped-out the contemporary temperature increases, and 'adjusted' the timeline to show that the Medieval 'Warm' Period was hotter than today.

It's also worth noting that the Medieval 'Warm' Period involved widespread desertification of North America. Sure, Greenland & Northern Europe (back in time when population densities were low) were no doubt lovely; but there were loving sand dunes in the Midwestern United States.

I have no doubt that it was total Hell elsewhere in the world too, but I'm not familiar enough with any other data to talk about it.

EDIT: Also, Monckton is not a member of the House of Lords. This isn't important to the debate, but it apparently grates on his soul whenever someone mentions that his title is phony, so I like to mention it a lot.

The Ender fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 11, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

Whats loving annoying me is the answers are not as hard as its made out to be. We don't need TOO significant a reduction to at least buy us some breathing space in this fight, and thats entirely achievable.

The Australian govt (amidst much screaming and moaning from the conservatives) introduced a Carbon emissions tax, targetted at specific industries. Its barely affected the price of anything. Recently I got a monsterous $400 gas bill for being a bad greenie and leaving my gas heater on all summer. On the bill it outlined the Carbon emmissions tax for the bill. $14. gently caress all.

After under a year of introduction, however, we're actually right on target to hit all of the commitments made on climate change, fuckwit conservative states notwithstanding, simply on the basis of a number of industries transitioning over to non or reduced CO2 emitting processes, and coal stations starting to decommission to switch over to slightly less bad gas fired stations.

Thats still the "hey lets just do 2% rise" targets though, and I'm starting to think when you factor in permafrost , "only" 2% isn't good enough.

But hey, its a start right. Now to convince the US and China to get it right, and perhaps build some Tory proofing into the system.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

McDowell posted:

This was my knee-jerk cynical reaction as well, but honestly, this is the world we're dealing with: a place where Johnny McFucktard and his buddies determine national policies via ballot after tuning-in to soundbytes on Fox News / CNN to become 'informed'.

People like Cameron & Gore recognize this and put together these experiences for this generation of soundbyte-driven constituents. It would be nice if they could spend the same amount of time just reading the IPCC reports, but they won't, so we have to go play something flashy on the idiot box and hope they respond to it.

quote:

Whats loving annoying me is the answers are not as hard as its made out to be. We don't need TOO significant a reduction to at least buy us some breathing space in this fight, and thats entirely achievable.

We need to peak emissions in 2020. I mean, sure, maybe Australia can do that. America? Hahahahaha. It's just a joke. There is zero political will to do dick all other than point fingers and blame someone else for being MORE IRRESPONSIBLE!!!, and the 'progressive' political parties just use climate change as a loving tennis ball.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The Ender posted:

We need to peak emissions in 2020. I mean, sure, maybe Australia can do that. America? Hahahahaha. It's just a joke. There is zero political will to do dick all other than point fingers and blame someone else for being MORE IRRESPONSIBLE!!!, and the 'progressive' political parties just use climate change as a loving tennis ball.

And convince China to stop investing in coal plants and ramping up mining operations in Inner Mongolia to record levels year over year.

And convince Indians not to buy cars to use on the new highways they are building.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

On the flip side, China is building more wind farms and solar panels than anywhere else, and a city in India (I think Mumbai) just built a fantastic metro system ahead of time and under budget, and 88% of citizens use public transport.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah Climate Change at this point can only be 'solved' by a strong U.N oh gently caress it I cant even finish this sentence. :dawkins101:

The only real solution will be aggressive Geoengineering and climate change mitigation to repair the damage that will be grudgingly done once major cities begin to flood and climate change begins to seriously stress the world economy.
The Great powers of the world will do this and strongarm every nation into following or global society will collapse under the stress and violence unleashed on it, full stop.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Countdown until someone unironically proposes nuclear winter as a solution.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Spazzle posted:

Countdown until someone unironically proposes nuclear winter as a solution.

I wish I was kidding. :smith:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratospheric_sulfur_aerosols_%28geoengineering%29

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I'm aware of that. I want to see people propose going all out nuclear.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Spazzle posted:

I'm aware of that. I want to see people propose going all out nuclear.

Considering how hosed things may become I can see that as a distinct possibility.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

quote:

The only real solution will be aggressive Geoengineering and...

I just want to interject here and say that 'Geoengineering' is not even a thing. It's basically "We will intentionally throw a bunch more pollution around, and hope that one pollutant cancels-out another without destroying so much of the biosphere in the process that the old problem is now overshadowed."

It's massive scale intentional pollution, and it smacks of naive technocratic bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

The fact that the word geoengineering is used at all outside out of science fiction bothers me since it implies a level of understanding of large scale climate systems that we just don't have.

• Locked thread