Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Cannot Find Server posted:

I have found that if you do not use Megido/Megidolaon on your first turn, they will usually not run. My strategy when farming gold hands was Mind Charge with MC and Naoto, then matarukaja with whoever else I had and guard with the 4th. Turn 2, two Mind Charged Megidolaons with the added tarukaja, fight over.

I'll try that idea. Thanks. Though I obviously don't have Naoto yet, since I'm still going through the secret base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Ha! Destroyed the Reaper after four tries. I got Blade of Totsuka for my trouble. :toot:

The trick to get him to show up reliably is to save before opening the chest that starts the rattling (chest 20 or 21, can't remember) and then open the chest on a floor with a lot of gold chests. If there are nothing but gold chests and 1 normal chest, open a gold chest and the normal chest is guaranteed* to spawn him.

*anecdotal evidence

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

PureRok posted:

Ha! Destroyed the Reaper after four tries. I got Blade of Totsuka for my trouble. :toot:

The trick to get him to show up reliably is to save before opening the chest that starts the rattling (chest 20 or 21, can't remember) and then open the chest on a floor with a lot of gold chests. If there are nothing but gold chests and 1 normal chest, open a gold chest and the normal chest is guaranteed* to spawn him.

*anecdotal evidence

Or you could go to the fifth floor of Yukiko's Castle. Only two chests spawn there ever. :v:

Anyone else find it odd how the credits sequence in the TV listings menu is missing the credits part? :psyduck: What if I wanted to confirm Benjamin Franklin's contributions to writing Engrishy J-Pop, Atlus?

Also, is there a way to unlock or even just see vanilla P4's Normal/True Ending credit sequence?

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 10, 2012

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Can I get both guardians In the winter and if so what are their weather conditions?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

OmegaZultan posted:

Can I get both guardians In the winter and if so what are their weather conditions?

Yes, and cloudy.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Is there a trick to making Arcana cards appear in Shuffle Time? Is that connected to your Social Links? I haven't seen a single Magician card yet, and I just finished Kanji's dungeon.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nope, it's all random luck of the draw.

Getting sweep bonuses to make Shuffle Time happen more often is your best bet.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

JetGrind posted:

Is there a trick to making Arcana cards appear in Shuffle Time? Is that connected to your Social Links? I haven't seen a single Magician card yet, and I just finished Kanji's dungeon.

I think some arcana are just rarer than others due to how good their effects are.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
poo poo. My luck is terrible in this game too. You would not believe how many times in a row the sweep bonus hosed me out of half my experience points.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't even know what the hell, man. I've been trying and trying and TRYING to find that god-damned trigger that begins Kanji's Social Link. Nothing.

I'm beginning to think I've passed the point of no return at some point (we're on Naoto's dungeon).

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Just to make sure...does the game auto-save before I enter the TV on 2/13, or can I get back to the log cabin after going back to town?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larsson posted:

Just to make sure...does the game auto-save before I enter the TV on 2/13, or can I get back to the log cabin after going back to town?

No. And you can't leave the TV once you enter, but you can go to the Junes' TV or go directly to the shops.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
There was a save point inside the television. Well, that's certainly convenient.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Anyone have any advice for catching the Sea Guardian? I've read both fishing books, maxed out my diligence, and I just cannot catch that son of a bitch. It seems like any time I get him close to being reeled in, the needle decides to bury itself halfway or further down one of the red sections of the meter, and by the time I get it back out again, the drat fish has already pulled himself back as far as he can go away from me. I've tried both tapping the O button and holding the O button, but it's no good, and it seems like the longer I struggle with him, the less and less frequent the triangle button prompts are. :negative:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

How do you even find the Guardian's in the first place. :negative:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I caught the Sea Guardian on my second try. The first try was awful and I spent like five minutes knowing I wasn't going to catch him because he was so far out.

The second time wasn't anything near that much of a struggle, although I remember it taking one or two minutes.

Best advice I can give is to just keep trying. Hold down when you're in the blue, stop holding when you're out of it, and just use your analog to keep yourself in the center as much as possible. :cool:

Dr Pepper posted:

After you get the fish hook and some Inaba Jewel Beetles, you can fish for the River Guardian on the Flood Plain. He rarely shows up on non-rainy days, but I found him on one with some patience, and kept pulling my bait back to preserve it. If the water near your line is splashing and going crazy, get ready.

After you catch him, talk to the old man about the Sea Guardian. Same information applies, except you want to go out to the beach. You need Genji Beetles this time.

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 11, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I know I haven't seen much talk on it, but have there been any reports on this game crashing vita systems? My friend picked it up and he's losing progress by the boatload it seems. First time he ran up through Rise's dungeon to fight the optional boss, only for his game to crash. Now he's running through Void Quest and he put his vita to sleep mode only to find out he couldn't turn it back on. It only seems to happen with P4G too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

1. Has to be on a rainy day.
2. Need an Inaba Jeweled Beetle for the River Guardian, Genji Beetle for the Sea Guardian.
3. When you cast, you'll know it's a Guardian by how fast the bobber is going and if there's any spray going up. No spray = no Guardian. (At least this is true for the River Guardian; I presume it's true for the Sea Guardian as well.)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Thanks.

Now, why isn't Never More on Hee Hee Hoo!? :argh:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I know I haven't seen much talk on it, but have there been any reports on this game crashing vita systems? My friend picked it up and he's losing progress by the boatload it seems. First time he ran up through Rise's dungeon to fight the optional boss, only for his game to crash. Now he's running through Void Quest and he put his vita to sleep mode only to find out he couldn't turn it back on. It only seems to happen with P4G too.

Played for 75 hours so far without a single technical issue.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

TheJoker138 posted:

Played for 75 hours so far without a single technical issue.

Same here, 80 hours now, no issues.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Have him rebuild the PS Vita Database. Sounds like something got fubared.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

W.T. Fits posted:

1. Has to be on a rainy day.
2. Need an Inaba Jeweled Beetle for the River Guardian, Genji Beetle for the Sea Guardian.
3. When you cast, you'll know it's a Guardian by how fast the bobber is going and if there's any spray going up. No spray = no Guardian. (At least this is true for the River Guardian; I presume it's true for the Sea Guardian as well.)

Just to add onto this, you won't find Inaba Jeweled Beetles by themselves. You first need to unlock the beach, then try to fish there (this takes up no time). Once you've tried and been told you need another fishing rod, go back to the old man at the river and talk to him. Now he'll ask to see the River Guardian, and by talking to him about that and the bait needed, the beetles will start showing up at the shrine.

It's a similar deal for Genji Beetles, you need to be on the last fox quest and talk to the old man to get them to start spawning at the shrine (and they spawn only at night). However, you can buy 3 of them from the shopping channel at one point if you want to jump ahead.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
It's much more common when it rains, but if you feel inconvenienced, you can do it on a regular day. Just keep pulling back if you know you aren't hooking it. Speaking from personal experience, it came around for me about one in every twenty tries.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I finally completed my goal: fishing up (capturing? is there a better word for this?) the Sea Guardian without the triangle button as a crutch.

Don't worry grandpa, I've succeeded you and your dream :unsmith:.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

My will to play this game is always sapped right as November begins.

Everything gets so depressing. Poor Nanako :(

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Sankis posted:

No matter how much I know it's coming, it never fails to make me upset. Then you go home and no one's there to greet you :(

Gotta say, it worked out well in the end because I was really motivated to tear the poo poo out of that fucker.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
So I have a question about the first dungeon? Yukiko Dungeon? So I'm basically finally going back in for the second time after a long string of social links, but my main concern is this:

I fought the miniboss, that knight guy. Pretty easy, managed to get a critical hit on him and panic him and then just killed him. Now I'm on floor 6. poo poo is starting to get kind of real, my characters are level 12ish. There are 2 more days of rain. Basically without spoiling plot beats or anything am I hosed? Do I have a long line of grinding ahead of me? Or is this first string of rain a fake out (As in a lot of rain but it won't get foggy)? This is at the end of April. Also, will there be a save point before the actual boss of the dungeon?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Sankis posted:

Oh god I felt like a monster just for waiting until the end of the week since there was rain then and I wanted extra goodies.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Stealthed Zombie posted:

So I have a question about the first dungeon? Yukiko Dungeon? So I'm basically finally going back in for the second time after a long string of social links, but my main concern is this:

I fought the miniboss, that knight guy. Pretty easy, managed to get a critical hit on him and panic him and then just killed him. Now I'm on floor 6. poo poo is starting to get kind of real, my characters are level 12ish. There are 2 more days of rain. Basically without spoiling plot beats or anything am I hosed? Do I have a long line of grinding ahead of me? Or is this first string of rain a fake out (As in a lot of rain but it won't get foggy)? This is at the end of April. Also, will there be a save point before the actual boss of the dungeon?

It will get foggy after the rain stops, but I wouldn't say you're hosed. Yukiko's Castle is only 8 floors (I think), so work your way up to the top and try to fight the boss. If you can't beat it, you can go back down and grind on the previous floor for a bit. Don't be afraid to use items to restore your HP and SP if you don't have time to leave the TV to refill.

There won't be a save point on the top floor, but if you die you can resume from the beginning of that floor (which is made up of a door and a boss fight) so you don't have to worry about losing.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It will get foggy after the rain stops, but I wouldn't say you're hosed. Yukiko's Castle is only 8 floors (I think), so work your way up to the top and try to fight the boss. If you can't beat it, you can go back down and grind on the previous floor for a bit. Don't be afraid to use items to restore your HP and SP if you don't have time to leave the TV to refill.

There won't be a save point on the top floor, but if you die you can resume from the beginning of that floor (which is made up of a door and a boss fight) so you don't have to worry about losing.

Awesome, thanks. Yeah, I guess hosed was a little harsh. I should likely be OK.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Stealthed Zombie posted:

First thing, you can never ACTUALLY get screwed out of rescuing someone. You can run out of time, but if that happens you will get sent back in time a week to make the attempt again.

You are near the end, the last day you technically have is April 29th, if you haven't cleared the dungeon by then it'll send you back. A good rule of thumb for this is if you're getting the message "The rain doesn't seem to be letting up this morning..." as the days change, you're almost out of time. On the bright side, you only have a couple more floors to run through.

Level 12 is about alright for where you should be. I think I was somewhere between 12-15 taking on the first boss, who is a little bit easier in Vita than on PS2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sankis posted:

Agreed. You spend the whole game kinda just mindlessly noting Nanako's spoken "Welcome home!" and then when it's gone, you notice the lack of it every single goddamn day.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

neongrey posted:

Oh god I felt like a monster just for waiting until the end of the week since there was rain then and I wanted extra goodies.

Hell, on the PS2 version, I felt like a monster for putting off for only a single day because I was following the Max Social Links guide from Game FAQs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Right, I think this should solve my Hippy/Control problem, once I grind that one level out and swap Marakukaja for Enduring Soul.

:getin:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Right, I think this should solve my Hippy/Control problem, once I grind that one level out and swap Marakukaja for Enduring Soul.

:getin:

Enduring Soul totally saved my rear end in that fight. Tam Lin is great.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The fishing minigame is so much better than the PS2 version. Caught the Guardian in one try with no fishing boosts :v:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Oh, gently caress. I didn't realize that you don't get the Christmas event if you wait to do the December dungeon on the last possible day. I was wondering why I didn't see anything. :smith: Guess I'll have something to really, really look forward to on New Game+.

How're you guys screencapping on the Vita? That looks like it would be a very helpful tool.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The Grimace posted:

How're you guys screencapping on the Vita? That looks like it would be a very helpful tool.

Hold the PS Button and the Start button at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Volt Catfish posted:

Hold the PS Button and the Start button at the same time.

:aaaaa: Thank you! This is... this is magical.

• Locked thread