Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Can players on IR be traded?

Also, what happens to a player's contract when they die prematurely? This question is prompted by the Belcher situation, but Gaines Adams, Sean Taylor and that Bronco who was shot come to mind. Obviously the team can't pay anything to that player, but is there still a cap hit for the guaranteed portion of their contract?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
When they made up the divisions, how did they decide where to put which teams? Some teams, in terms of geographic location, are way out of the cardinal direction of the division, like the Colts being in the AFC South or the Cowboys in the NFC East. Most make sense for what division they're in, but a number kind of stand out.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Detective Thompson posted:

When they made up the divisions, how did they decide where to put which teams? Some teams, in terms of geographic location, are way out of the cardinal direction of the division, like the Colts being in the AFC South or the Cowboys in the NFC East. Most make sense for what division they're in, but a number kind of stand out.

It's kind of grown organically, with it originally being somewhat related to geography. But the reason the Cowboys are in the NFC East is to preserve rivalries like Cowboys and Redskins. The AFC South is basically the leftovers of the AFC after they did everyone else.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Detective Thompson posted:

A lot of the divisions are grown from rivalries that formed when the initial divisions were created. When the AFL was created in 1960, it had eight teams... San Diego, Oakland, Denver, and Kansas City in the West, and Boston, New York, Houston, and Buffalo in the East. The East kind of did their own thing and added a couple of NFL teams after the merger (Colts, Dolphins) and fractured once the AFC Central came into being, the AFL West is the current AFC West and those rivalries have been uninterrupted.

If the NFL was concerned about geography, during realightment they would have taken Kansas City out of the AFC West and left it as San Diego, Denver, Oakland, and Seattle.

But no one cares about Seattle so they were easy to move

Cate the Great
Nov 16, 2012

The Colts and Seahawks if I remember were the teams they didn't really care much about moving around.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
On that note. What would happen if the Jaguars went to LA? Would there just be one REALLY weird division, or would they shift everything over?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

On that note. What would happen if the Jaguars went to LA? Would there just be one REALLY weird division, or would they shift everything over?

I would assume they'd shift the Chiefs to the AFC South and the Jags to the AFC West, though I don't know how many feathers that might ruffle in KC. But geographically speaking it'd make the most sense. Which is precisely why the NFL won't actually do that.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
As a Denver fan, I'd be pretty disappointed if the Chiefs left the AFCW. As SA2K said, it represents the old AFL west, so those rivalries are quite old. Along with the AFCE and NFCN and NFCE, I don't see any of those 4 division losing a current member.

Perhaps there is a compromise. Maybe to pacify the geographically-OCD we should stop using terms like "West" and "North". We could come up with some other term for them, something inspiring. Your 2014 AFC Legends Division Champions, the Los Angeles Gatos.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The NFL will follow the Big 10's lead and call eache division by some stupid name like Leaders and Legends.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

RIP Wales Conference and Campbell Conference

patrick division for life

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

I would assume they'd shift the Chiefs to the AFC South and the Jags to the AFC West, though I don't know how many feathers that might ruffle in KC. But geographically speaking it'd make the most sense. Which is precisely why the NFL won't actually do that.

More likely, they'd move the Rams to the AFC South and the Jags to the NFC West.

I really doubt they'd mess with the AFC West

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

It's kind of grown organically, with it originally being somewhat related to geography. But the reason the Cowboys are in the NFC East is to preserve rivalries like Cowboys and Redskins. The AFC South is basically the leftovers of the AFC after they did everyone else.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

A lot of the divisions are grown from rivalries that formed when the initial divisions were created. When the AFL was created in 1960, it had eight teams... San Diego, Oakland, Denver, and Kansas City in the West, and Boston, New York, Houston, and Buffalo in the East. The East kind of did their own thing and added a couple of NFL teams after the merger (Colts, Dolphins) and fractured once the AFC Central came into being, the AFL West is the current AFC West and those rivalries have been uninterrupted.

If the NFL was concerned about geography, during realightment they would have taken Kansas City out of the AFC West and left it as San Diego, Denver, Oakland, and Seattle.

But no one cares about Seattle so they were easy to move

Thanks! Makes sense.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
nm

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts were put in the AFC South so they would play the Titans twice each year, given the Peyton Manning following in Tennessee. It had to be a ratings boost.

Cate the Great
Nov 16, 2012

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts were put in the AFC South so they would play the Titans twice each year, given the Peyton Manning following in Tennessee. It had to be a ratings boost.

I sincerely hope if the Jags move to LA we get the Rams instead, because Rams vs. Colts sounds cool to me, plus it is actually a lot closer geographically.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

swickles posted:

The NFL will follow the Big 10's lead and call eache division by some stupid name like Leaders and Legends.

NFC North becomes the Sausage and Mustache division.
NFC East is the Buck/Aikman Championship
AFC South is the Best Friends Club

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

R.D. Mangles posted:

NFC North becomes the Sausage and Mustache division.
NFC East is the Buck/Aikman Championship

AFC North becomes the Murder Division

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

AFC North becomes the Murder Division

AFC West fits that a lot better.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Murderers vs. Murderees

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Any chance for a reshuffle in the future? Could be interesting to see some movement around the AFC - specifically in the East/North.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

AFC North - Murder Divison
AFC East - Patriots Division
AFC South - Who? Division
AFC West - Victim Division

NFC North - Snow Division
NFC East - Douchebag Division
NFC South - Not the SEC Division
NFC West - Occasionally Relevant Division

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

AFC North - Murder Divison
AFC East - Patriots Division
AFC South - Who? Division
AFC West - Victim Division

NFC North - Snow Division
NFC East - Douchebag Division
NFC South - Not the SEC Division
NFC West - Occasionally Relevant Division

NFC West- :wtc: Division

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

The days of the AFC South thread were the best days :sigh:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'd like to know if I'm just being a typical Flacco hating Ravens fan, or if I am actually understanding play and poo poo.

It's late in the 4th BAL @ WAS, Baltimore leading by 8 with possession. 3rd and 6 or so, at about the 10 yard line.

They go for a pass, Flacco gets contained, and a defender gets a tackle on his knees, Flacco throws the ball away and it bounces up off a players leg, and gets intercepted.

Obviously, there wasn't much chance of the ball getting kicked up, but he was throwing it into heavy traffic, so wouldn't it have been the smarter play to just take the suck, protect the ball, run the clock/waste a washington time out, and kick the easy field goal to go at least 2 possessions up?

I'm not saying that it makes Flacco a terrible player or something, I'd just like to know if I'm totally misreading it and throwing it away was the correct move when you know your throw is affected by the pass, or whether it was a mistake to not just clutch the ball and go down.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 10, 2012

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It's always the right move for Joe Flacco to take the suck

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Ahahaha, welp. Freudian slip I guess.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Asked this in the wrong thread, but will ask here:

I'm not really much of a Football fan, but a friend of mine is nuts about it and was furious all last year about Tim Tebow. I watched a few games with him playing for the Broncos and he seemed like a lot of fun, and I watched the Broncos/Patriots and Broncos/Steelers game with my friend and they were hilarious rollercoasters of screaming.

Now I know Tebow's on the Jets and doesn't get to play, but is there any chance he'll play another game this season as quarterback? I want to make sure I get my friend to watch it with me if he does, but I don't really understand what would govern that.

I wouldn't mind understanding a little more about the game if anyone wants to explain what determines when a quarterback plays.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Dolash posted:

Asked this in the wrong thread, but will ask here:

I'm not really much of a Football fan, but a friend of mine is nuts about it and was furious all last year about Tim Tebow. I watched a few games with him playing for the Broncos and he seemed like a lot of fun, and I watched the Broncos/Patriots and Broncos/Steelers game with my friend and they were hilarious rollercoasters of screaming.

Now I know Tebow's on the Jets and doesn't get to play, but is there any chance he'll play another game this season as quarterback? I want to make sure I get my friend to watch it with me if he does, but I don't really understand what would govern that.

I wouldn't mind understanding a little more about the game if anyone wants to explain what determines when a quarterback plays.

Tebow isn't going to play for a couple of reasons. One, Rex Ryan is incredibly stubborn and keeps insisting that Mark Sanchez gives the Jets the best chance to win. I don't even know if that's technically untrue or not, given the three quarterbacks on the Jets roster. Which brings me to the second reason.

Tebow just isn't very good.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Also Tebow has a rib injury right now, so it might even actually be in his best interest not to play for the rest of the season as well.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I have a history question here. I'm a Pats fan who is admittedly pretty ignorant about the team's history, since I didn't really regard myself as a "fan" until I left Boston and wasn't constantly surrounded by PATSPATSPATS all the time regardless. Someone mentioned in the monday Texans/Pats thread that the Pats were at one point scheduled to be moved and the team changed until Kraft bought them in the early 90s. A cursory google only brings up a little info, so would anyone be kind enough to tell me some more about this period in Pats history?

Also any info on the fans flipping their poo poo and getting the team banned from Monday Night Football for a decade would be great, because that pretty much encapsulates Boston sports fandom perfectly.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Okay, sounds good.

First off, the funny story first. In 1981 the Patriots hosted the Cowboys on MNF, and the game and fans were different then. Much rowdier, much drunker, much less corporate as my uncle, a guy who had season tickets for 30 years, told me anyway. Anyway, the fans were sauced, many fights broke out in the stands, and between that and a ludicrous number of DUI arrests throughout the morning after the game, the town of Foxborough and the league agreed to ban MNF games indefinitely, finally lifting it 15 years later, coincidentally right after Bill Parcells had turned the team around and gotten them into the playoffs. *cough*

As for how Kraft ended up with the team... The 80's were a comparatively turbulent time for the NFL in general anyway, which saw a large number of franchises change hands, as the merely rather wealthy owners started to get priced out and were replaced by the obscene Jerry Jones types, thanks to a combination of factors including the USFL's rise and fall, and the player's actually wanting to be paid.

The Sullivans had owned the team, but went into severe debt in the late 80's due to a failed Michael Jackson tour they backed. The league vetoed their plan to save their ownership, by selling off 50% of the team to the public, as if there's one thing NFL owners can agree on is not allowing teams to exist without them. As such, the Sullivans were forced to sell the team to Victor Kiam in 1988, while allowing Sullivan stadium (old Foxborough stadium) to go into bankruptcy, which was then purchased by Robert Kraft.

At this point, the team was declining from its '86 Superbowl appearance, and totally collapsed in '89. Then a group of players decided to sexually harass a reporter, Lisa Olsen, in the locker room, starting off a wonderful scandal to which Victor Kiam decided to chip in and call Olsen a classic bitch. As you can imagine, Kiam was a remarkably well liked fellow and he then quickly sold the team to James Orthwein in '92 so he could move the team to St. Louis.

Orthwein decided to rebrand the team, retiring Pat Patriot, flushing the front office and hiring Parcells, and drafting Drew Bledsoe. At this point, Orthwein tried to break the lease to the stadium, which Kraft owned, but was refused. After a bunch of namecalling by proxies, Orthwein auctioned off the Patriots and Kraft bought the team.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Didn't Kraft also make some rumblings about moving the team if they didn't build Gillette? Or maybe not from him specifically, but I seem to recall there were other NE towns willing to build a stadium to get the Pats in town.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

In 1998, he had a handshake deal to move the team to a publicly financed stadium in Hartford but he opted out of it 2 days before the deadline. Being able to leverage Massachusetts and his dream of building a huge strip mall in the middle of nowhere probably kept it from going through.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/20/nyregion/handshake-on-deal-to-move-patriots-to-hartford.html

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Victor Kiam and Doug Flutie pimp Remington shavers

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Kalli posted:

At this point, the team was declining from its '86 Superbowl appearance, and totally collapsed in '89. Then a group of players decided to sexually harass a reporter, Lisa Olsen, in the locker room, starting off a wonderful scandal to which Victor Kiam decided to chip in and call Olsen a classic bitch. As you can imagine, Kiam was a remarkably well liked fellow and he then quickly sold the team to James Orthwein in '92 so he could move the team to St. Louis.
You're leaving out the part where the BAHSTAHNN fans mailed death threats to her, broke into her home, and she had to move to loving Australia to get away from the constant harassment she got after that.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and they continued up again when she moved back. I remember when the Sainz poo poo happened last year hearing about how Olson still gets harassing phone calls from people angry at her. loving 20 years later..

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 14, 2012

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Speaking of Patriots, have a whole lot of bad teams improved after a major uniform change or am I just being confirmation bias?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

Speaking of Patriots, have a whole lot of bad teams improved after a major uniform change or am I just being confirmation bias?

The Ducks and Broncos won the Stanley Cup/Superbowl after a major uniform change!

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

Well, the Patriots hired Parcells and replaced red jerseys with blue at the same time, so I suppose it's reasonable you can try to make out some kind of connection. Who else are you thinking of? The Bucs and Broncos come to mind, but I'm not certain of an actual correlation in those cases because I'm not as familiar with those teams. I can't think of any other potential link (not trying to argue causation here) despite many other uniform changes.

The Packers and the Colts have been using the same uniforms for pretty much forever, and both have also improved from bad to great within the past few decades. And it's not like Raymond Berry's teams had different uniforms than Meyer's.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

The Rams changed uniforms, stumbled into the playoffs the next year, lost to the Saints and then the next year lost in the Super Bowl. '02 they were terrible. '03 they lost in the NFC Championship game to the Panthers. '04 they made the playoffs, won against the Seahawks, then got destroyed by the Falcons in the Divisional playoffs. Been pretty terrible since then :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Rams, Pats, Bucs, Broncos (and Browns if you want to be mean) are the obvious ones, but I seem to remember Atlanta getting better after a Uni change too. And Oregon! (I'm not making a serious point here)

• Locked thread