Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The mocap in this game really is great. Sam in particular is fantastic.

"Oh, Uncle Sam"
"Ja, one of the founding fathers, right?"
"I think you might want to look into that..."
"Whatever, I've been waiting for this for so long" as he's picking up the explosives.

I also thought they were going the opposite way with Willis, where it turns out he's insane and there are no operatives on the island but he's competent enough to dispel those fears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ddraig posted:

The mocap in this game really is great. Sam in particular is fantastic.

"Oh, Uncle Sam"
"Ja, one of the founding fathers, right?"
"I think you might want to look into that..."
"Whatever, I've been waiting for this for so long" as he's picking up the explosives.

I also thought they were going the opposite way with Willis, where it turns out he's insane and there are no operatives on the island but he's competent enough to dispel those fears.

I was waiting the whole time for Sam's inevitable double-cross but by the time we were rampaging around a fuel depot with a .50 cal, those fears were dispelled. His tragic death was disappointing, but nowhere near as disappointing as a betrayal would have been.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'm very happy with how this one came out. :)

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I cant help but giggle how now the enemy soldiers yell out "Oh no, it's Jason!!" when I come attack them. We have been hardened soldiers for vicious warlords since we were 10 years old, but here comes Jason, the white boy from Santa Monica, California. Oh no!! He says Ewww! when he skins a pig!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ddraig posted:

From what I can remember, the first time you meet heavies in the story is the flamethrower mission, so it is sort of designed to show you that fire is good against them.

For sure, but does that mean I have to carry a flamethrower for the rest of the game in case a heavy ever shows up? It'd be nice to start the mission, go "oh, heavies on this one" and grab a flamer. Or go "hm, stealth, better swap for bow and silenced pistol". Or "wow, lots and lots of guys on this one, I think I better get out the machine gun"

Instead I just take my 4 favorite guns everywhere.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's plenty of opportunities to cause fire in virtually every outpost, and you've got molotovs if all else fails.

Here's what I rolled with:

Silenced sniper rifle (later replaced with the AMR)
Bushman
Signature Shotgun
Wildcard (usually the RPG/grenade launcher)

All bases covered. Even though I used the grenade launcher almost exclusively. Kind of reminds me of my Far Cry 2 loadout, which was the two grenade launchers and the machine gun.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've been running around doing all the side quests and exploring in the radius of the first radio tower and now my stuff needs upgrading but I need Tapirs and I have no idea wtf a Tapir is. :saddowns:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's sort of a pig with a weird snout.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

poptart_fairy posted:

I've been running around doing all the side quests and exploring in the radius of the first radio tower and now my stuff needs upgrading but I need Tapirs and I have no idea wtf a Tapir is. :saddowns:
It's a pig-like thing with a long snout. You've never seen them in zoos?

Anyway like I was saying before, for some reason they are rare as hell in this game compared to other animals which are infinitely more rare in real life than tapirs are.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ddraig posted:

There's plenty of opportunities to cause fire in virtually every outpost, and you've got molotovs if all else fails.

Here's what I rolled with: ...

All bases covered.

I'm not saying you can't get through the game, you can. I am. Its totally playable.

I'm just saying given so many guns, I would prefer the ability to swap at the very start of a mission, so I could personally use more variety.

And I agree with everybody, Sam is amazing. He's my new favorite character since Vaas is gone

Is it Christmas?! Awesome!

Edit: Tested these, changes everything. So awesome. Makes the game so, so much harder, and so much more realistic and immersive.

Definitely would be very hard to start with this, but once you know the game well its not too bad. I'm worried about lack of quest markers / minimap for some things, but I've done a few quests now successfully without it. And the added attachments are awesome!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 11, 2012

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh god Tapirs are types of pig?! :psyduck:

I've been attacked by bears, sharks, mercenaries, crocodiles and god only knows what, so I assumed a tapir would be similarly terrifying.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Tapirs are awesome. They're cute as hell and have this cool prehensile nose thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFRrsX_HxD8

Noirex
May 30, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh god Tapirs are types of pig?! :psyduck:

I've been attacked by bears, sharks, mercenaries, crocodiles and god only knows what, so I assumed a tapir would be similarly terrifying.

I once thought Cassowaries were just a type of harmless turkey and look how horribly wrong I am.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Noirex posted:

I once thought Cassowaries were just a type of harmless turkey and look how horribly wrong I am.

Basically the best dinosaur-bird in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx9ICAD7Hc8

They even sound like something out of the Jurassic Park films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dcQO6Zb8Eg

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 11, 2012

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Morter posted:

I want to live and survive off the dropped guns and rounds of my enemies, but Ubi made that pretty much unfeasible. Shame.

FC3 is the better game, but it seems like in an effort to address the things that people were most dissatisfied with in FC2, they went too far in the opposite direction. I really hate the checkpoint clearing in this game. Exploring is so much more exciting and interesting when there are roving patrols running around, and as soon as you close those outposts, the worlds feels dead. A system wherein outposts would occasionally get reclaimed ala Stalker would have been so much better.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

So i'm renting this game. Is it worth the $10 for the online pass? Mostly i'm interested in the Co-Op, as I don't see the multiplayer having anything on Battlefield 3, and Halo 4.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

So i'm renting this game. Is it worth the $10 for the online pass? Mostly i'm interested in the Co-Op, as I don't see the multiplayer having anything on Battlefield 3, and Halo 4.

Not really. The co-op is only 6 missions that aren't particularly inspired and the competitive multiplayer is a decent diversion at best.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cardboard Box posted:

Not really. The co-op is only 6 missions that aren't particularly inspired and the competitive multiplayer is a decent diversion at best.

Yeah it feels half-hearted compared to the SP portion of the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, whoever said earlier in the thread that there wasn't much difference between normal and hard is very wrong.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NESguerilla posted:

Man, whoever said earlier in the thread that there wasn't much difference between normal and hard is very wrong.

I knew all the :smug:-posting earlier in the thread had to be bullshit.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

If you are playing stealth, there isn't much noticeable difference since takedowns and head shots are pretty much just as lethal. If you are playing with a more direct style it definitely feels tougher.

Edit: Harry Joe, totally not the same genre, but check out one of Soldak's offerings like Drox Operative for example. Their games are very big on the whole "the world moves on with or without you" thing. They are pretty ugly though.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 11, 2012

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
The only thing I felt this game was missing was more opportunities for massive battles where you aren't necessarily the focus point or where you didn't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the two factions fighting.

As someone mentioned, the moment you clear an outpost, the entire area around it dies and any potential shenanigans are put to an end, aside from the rare animal attack anyways. If the open world felt more like a live world, where things were happening that didn't require your direct intervention (but you could add it anyways if you felt like it) I would have enjoyed the exploration and the general feel of the environment a lot more.

It's my biggest pet peeve with open world games where factions are fighting. You do all the work for one side, conquering every piece of land while your buds just come in to clean up the corpses and your enemies just sit on their asses waiting for the angel of death to stumble upon their outpost and kill them all. Give me a game where it actually feels like there are two sides that are warring and where your action, or lack of action, actually makes an impact on the war.

Fun game, but if a bit more time was spent on the factions it would have been one of my tops, easily.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

So I think I found a fix for the rebinding of WASD for the gliders. Rebound to ESDF, seems to function in gliders properly now.

http://mod.gib.me/farcry3/mods/patch102/rebind_fix_test.zip

Try this and let me know.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do enemies start to flip their poo poo later on like they did in Far Cry 2? Stalking them with a bow and machete is fun, in a perverse stabby :ninja: way, but I hope they're not mouthy and confident for the entire game.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

poptart_fairy posted:

Do enemies start to flip their poo poo later on like they did in Far Cry 2? Stalking them with a bow and machete is fun, in a perverse stabby :ninja: way, but I hope they're not mouthy and confident for the entire game.

They're highly trained mercenaries.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's a pig-like thing with a long snout. You've never seen them in zoos?

Anyway like I was saying before, for some reason they are rare as hell in this game compared to other animals which are infinitely more rare in real life than tapirs are.

I think you might just be looking in the wrong place, I see plenty of them. Open up the map more if you haven't. Personally I could never find dingos except in one place until the second island and I can count the number of crocodiles I've seen on one hand.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maybe the animals spawn rely on a random seed generator every time the game is launched. Everyone seems to have a different "I see tons of X, but few of Y." story. I always seem to see way, WAY more tapirs than the other animals, and outside of the real rares like gators, I've maybe seen 2 leopards in the whole game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This was perfect, man. Absolutely beautiful.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

DrNutt posted:

There is a difference, but I still think Hard is pretty easy. It feels like what Normal should be.

Speedball posted:

This was perfect, man. Absolutely beautiful.

Thanks!

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 11, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Zaphod42 posted:

For sure, but does that mean I have to carry a flamethrower for the rest of the game in case a heavy ever shows up? It'd be nice to start the mission, go "oh, heavies on this one" and grab a flamer. Or go "hm, stealth, better swap for bow and silenced pistol". Or "wow, lots and lots of guys on this one, I think I better get out the machine gun"

Instead I just take my 4 favorite guns everywhere.

Once you get the knife takedown you can use that on basically every heavy, just charge up to them, circle around, and stab them to death.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe the animals spawn rely on a random seed generator every time the game is launched. Everyone seems to have a different "I see tons of X, but few of Y." story. I always seem to see way, WAY more tapirs than the other animals, and outside of the real rares like gators, I've maybe seen 2 leopards in the whole game.

I've already found a few gator skins that I'm hoping will turn into something later.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I've already found a few gator skins that I'm hoping will turn into something later.

Gator skins are generic leather, just vendor trash.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I just got my Radeon 7870 in by Fedex. From low settings and 20 fps to very high settings and 80 FPS :woop:

Also I totally just saw a goat go stiff legged and fall over like a fainting goat when I shot it with an Arrow. This game :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is anyone else getting a bug (on the PS3, if that matters) where a post-mission cellphone call keeps happening over and over again? About fifteen times now I have heard Jason say "I wonder if Dennis knows about Hoyt" and having that whole conversation with him, it's getting really annoying. I finished that quest hours ago.

Kaji
Oct 30, 2002

The Crossdressing Cop with the .45
Are there enough mod tools to make a full on Jurassic Park mod? Holy poo poo I just realized I've been a goon for 10 years now.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kaji posted:

Are there enough mod tools to make a full on Jurassic Park mod?

I wouldn't count on it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You'd need to code in quite a few things to get dinosaurs. Just make do with the komodo dragons and cassowaries. They're dinosaur enough.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Noirex posted:

My first death seriously was me seeing Cassowaries, going 'oh cool some kinda jungle turkey?' and breezing through a swarm of them.

Then the talons came.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Zaphod42 posted:

Is it Christmas?! Awesome!

Edit: Tested these, changes everything. So awesome. Makes the game so, so much harder, and so much more realistic and immersive.

Definitely would be very hard to start with this, but once you know the game well its not too bad. I'm worried about lack of quest markers / minimap for some things, but I've done a few quests now successfully without it. And the added attachments are awesome!
Do you know if that no-HUD mod affects QTE prompts? I had a happy time playing with a crude no-HUD mod until I went to the awful TESTING UNIT and got to enjoy a double QTE without visible button prompts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The perfect hand.

If you play on hard with a not so stealthy approach style just be prepared to have a lot of health packs ready. Generally a string of shots will get you down to your last bar or nothing at all.

Also i'm not sure if I can top the gratification of a 120m+ shot with the recurve bow. I love this engine for the kills you can make in this game.

• Locked thread