Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

What level are you? While he's 68, the next several bosses after him are 70-72. Even if you feel your level should be fine for him per se, levelling a bit might make things easier both for him and down the road. And if your level's relatively low, that's all the more reason.

(The highest level enemies in your current area are level 67, however. If you're high enough level for the experience to suck, consider swinging by Colony 9 and beating up the level 70-72 fish and flamingoes over in the northeast, that probably killed you at the beginning of the game.)

That said, you don't need to go on a levelling spree. (Though it doesn't hurt: the next area's regular enemies are 72-75, might as well be high enough level that it's not excruciating to fight them.) But it might not be a bad idea if you can't win by adjusting party or strategy.

In terms of battle strategy, I also found him to be a tougher fight than the several that followed. Unfortunately, it's been several months since I've done that fight, so I'm afraid I can't offer more specific advice. I seem to recall it was helpful to bring Sharla; perhaps it's just confirmation bias but I don't think he attacked her as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fun Times! posted:

I'm in the latter half of the game and stuck at the final battle with Gadolt at Arignatha. I've tried this fight with and without Sharla. I went and got Shulk's Monado Armor just for this fight and he's still kicking my rear end. I can survive a wave or 2 of the mechon he summons before he just zaps and murders everyone.

Any tips?

e. vvv Not that fight.

Get a Topple-intesive team, like Shulk/Dunban/Riki or Shulk/Dunban/Reyn. Just go into a chain-attack whenever he brings out that loving laser and Daze him. Bam.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
RE: Shulk gemming, having Monado come up as fast as possible is basically the best thing, so when in doubt, just give him attack speed and double attack gems so he can build Talent gauge faster. Also runspeed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I finally started playing this after people in the Wii U thread told me to go go go get it now.

I'm actually enjoying a JRPG! This hasn't happened since FF IX so I'm really happy/impressed. Is it true that a full playthrough will take 100+ hours? :stare:

Very early game (less than 3 hours in) stuff:
I've made it to the cave where you need to go to get the oil for the artillery at the start and the giant caterpiller keeps killing my party :saddowns: but I love the combat system. So far I've mostly played as Shulk because I like how his moves force you to re-position against the enemies. I also liked the little bit I spent as Fiora. Reyn wasn't so fun because I got knocked off a cliff and then Shulk died :downs:

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 11, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Aaaaand Bionis' rear end is literally a swamp.
Yeah, that sounds about right.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

axeil, avoid the caterpillar until you're stronger. If I remember correctly there is a way to go around him.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Line Feed posted:

axeil, avoid the caterpillar until you're stronger. If I remember correctly there is a way to go around him.

And then go back specifically to wreck his caterpillar rear end.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

And then go back specifically to wreck his caterpillar rear end.

Line Feed posted:

Thanks! I cannot wait to murder the poo poo out of that caterpillar :black101:

Another thing I like, when my party dies I can revive them without having to use a special spell or phoenix down or whatever. And if I do a complete wipe I keep all my items and experience, I just have to restart from the last map marker I found. That's very friendly.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

axeil posted:

Thanks! I cannot wait to murder the poo poo out of that caterpillar :black101:

Another thing I like, when my party dies I can revive them without having to use a special spell or phoenix down or whatever. And if I do a complete wipe I keep all my items and experience, I just have to restart from the last map marker I found. That's very friendly.

With fast travel, automatic quest completion, markers on the minimap, and a big arrow, it's a rather friendly game. That would have bothered me if it weren't so goddamn fun to play. Story's great, too. Beat it at 110 hours. Kept a save to sink some more hours into whenever I want to go completionist on it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You could do that.

Or you could not wuss out and murder that caterpillar right now. :smug:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Regy Rusty posted:

You could do that.

Or you could not wuss out and murder that caterpillar right now. :smug:

That caterpillar makes for a good crash course in managing tanking, healing, and offense all at once while You Will Know Our Names is blasting out of your speakers and a giant monster is doing its level best to wreck your poo poo. Kill it now. :black101:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Wait until you meet Clifftop Bayern.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vil posted:

Wait until you meet Clifftop Bayern.

"Hey this place looks pretty cool, I wonder what's over HOLY poo poo :gonk:"

Mischievous Naberius remains the worst unique for the level that you first meet it though. Seriously, gently caress that thing.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Goddammit game, you give me prophecy visions for minor items I'll need in sidequests 5 hours later but forget to mention the things I'll need for rebuilding Colony 6?

I sold everything. Everything :negative:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Oh man, why would you do that? You never need the money, really.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Chronojam posted:

Oh man, why would you do that? You never need the money, really.

Because I only had three pages and 2.5 of them were full? I was already tired of it yelling at me about being full on crystal chunks (why the gently caress don't these things stack?).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Collectibles at the very least go towards grinding affinity up, not cash money.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Chronojam posted:

Collectibles at the very least go towards grinding affinity up, not cash money.

When do you unlock that anyway? I just made it to the beginning of the Forest before veering off to finish the timed Bionis Leg stuff/the rebuilding.

Speaking of which, gently caress that bridge fight. Once again, rabbits are the hardest loving thing in this game.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 12, 2012

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

When do you unlock that anyway? I just made it to the beginning of the Forest before veering off to finished the timed Bionis Leg stuff/the rebuilding.

Speaking of which, gently caress that bridge fight. Once again, rabbits are the hardest loving thing in this game.

Unlock what? You can gift collectibles right where you're at.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Unlock what? You can gift collectibles right where you're at.

...and they never had a tutorial pop-up for this? Dammit game!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Thundarr posted:

That caterpillar makes for a good crash course in managing tanking, healing, and offense all at once while You Will Know Our Names is blasting out of your speakers and a giant monster is doing its level best to wreck your poo poo. Kill it now. :black101:

I did kill it now! Felt so good. Then the mechonis attacked and Fiora died :smith: Didn't see that coming. I'm a bit annoyed at the story because I feel like they killed her off way too early. I didn't have any sort of attachment to her other than "oh it's the love interest okay." Or were they killing her off early on purpose to say: "forget your stupid JRPG romances you have mechonis to kill!" :black101:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
You gotta admit, it was a lot more effective than "Mothers are strong!" :downs: in FF13.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

You gotta admit, it was a lot more effective than "Mothers are strong!" :downs: in FF13.

Everything about this game is better than FF13.

axeil: You'll see. It's worth the wait. Try to stay away from Xenoblade plot discussion and whatnot.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

axeil posted:

I did kill it now! Felt so good. Then the mechonis attacked and Fiora died :smith: Didn't see that coming. I'm a bit annoyed at the story because I feel like they killed her off way too early. I didn't have any sort of attachment to her other than "oh it's the love interest okay." Or were they killing her off early on purpose to say: "forget your stupid JRPG romances you have mechonis to kill!" :black101:
Regarding your recent success and the spoilered event:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Character motivation is kind of a big thing for all the major players, which is nice. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it hits you in the face like the start of the game.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Everything about this game is better than FF13.

axeil: You'll see. It's worth the wait. Try to stay away from Xenoblade plot discussion and whatnot.

I've not moused over any spoilers in the whole thread unless it's something I know I'm already passed. Thanks :)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

axeil posted:

I've not moused over any spoilers in the whole thread unless it's something I know I'm already passed. Thanks :)

Your will power is strong. Enjoy the plot; it's pretty drat good.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Best of luck, aexil, and don't worry--I lent the game to a friend this weekend and got a text message today:

quote:

THAT FUCKIN CATERPILLAR

You're not alone, buddy :)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

axeil posted:

I did kill it now! Felt so good.

You will do great things. Godspeed.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

axeil posted:

I did kill it now! Felt so good.

Attaboy! Now prepare to be blown away once you take in the next major outdoor area. I forget if it automatically changes to daytime when you enter it, just make sure after you come out the other side of the cave you wait until daylight before moving to the next zone. It is worth it.

and try not to get stepped on by level 80 stuff.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Thundarr posted:

Yeah, returning to the Spiral Valley fast travel point after that thing happened was... eye opening :ohdear:

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I'd so love to see a re-release of this for the WiiU with it being rendered in 720p and make use of the touch screen. I need a good excuse to replay it, maybe I should copy my save over and do new game+ with dolphin.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

axeil posted:

Yeah, I agree that you don't get enough time with her, but the way each of the characters react to her loss, especially Shulk vs. Dunban kinda makes up for it.

404GoonNotFound posted:

I was already tired of it yelling at me about being full on crystal chunks (why the gently caress don't these things stack?).
Even though they have the same name, all crystals have different abilities and different percentages.

PFlats's Crystal Guide: Ignore crystals that don't say "Quick Step" until they hit Level IV. They're not any better than fully-made gems you get for doing quests, and the bonuses aren't worth the hassle. Once you hit crystal level IV (around the time you get all seven party members, if memory serves) then you can start worrying about what's good and what isn't.

PFlats's Crystal Guide Corollary: Make sure two party members stay yellow hexagons to each other in the relationship screens if you really want to goon out over crystals. For me, it was Sharla and the Heropon; since they're the best healers, you never need both of them.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 12, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

For really gooning out, just get a clinder pro in there and toss garbage in with 60-75%ish crystals. Use bad crystals as chaff to clear your inventory out a bit, too, it's faster than doing a discard individually if I recall the menu sorting lag time correctly.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

PFlats posted:

PFlats's Crystal Guide Corollary: Make sure two party members stay yellow hexagons to each other in the relationship screens if you really want to goon out over crystals. For me, it was Sharla and the Heropon; since they're the best healers, you never need both of them.

Wait, why's that? Less turns in the crafting screen, or something else?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wait, why's that? Less turns in the crafting screen, or something else?

That's exactly it. You get a gem one rank higher if you get the percentage to 200%, and two gems at 300%, so you want to start at as high a percentage as possible. But once your starting percentage is over 100 you can't put any more crystals in, so the best thing to do is put in two crystals with as near to 99% as possible. If you have two party members with low affinity that makes it easier to increase the percentage by small amounts without going over 100 accidentally.

Another reason Sharla is good for this is that she gets lots of green flames, which means more chance of getting to keep cylinders with the properties that didn't reach 100%. (At least I think she does, it's been a while since I played)

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 13, 2012

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Chronojam posted:

For really gooning out, just get a clinder pro in there and toss garbage in with 60-75%ish crystals. Use bad crystals as chaff to clear your inventory out a bit, too, it's faster than doing a discard individually if I recall the menu sorting lag time correctly.
Yeah, but your entire party is BFFs, you'll get too many rounds of crafting, too many "hey I can help" combos, and those nice 60-75s will turn into wasted 105s and 110s. If you're grinding big creatures for rare gems, each wasted one is more time grinding, saving, and reloading to respawn monsters. This only matters if you're really into the postgame, but at that point, it's too late to go back and ruin friendships.

Suaimhneas posted:

That's exactly it. You get a gem one rank higher if you get the percentage to 200%, and two gems at 300%, so you want to start at as high a percentage as possible. But once your starting percentage is over 100 you can't put any more crystals in, so the best thing to do is put in two crystals with as near to 99% as possible. If you have two party members with low affinity that makes it easier to increase the percentage by small amounts without going over 100 accidentally.

Another reason Sharla is good for this is that she gets lots of green flames, which means more chance of getting to keep cylinders with the properties that didn't reach 100%. (At least I think she does, it's been a while since I played)
Yeah, like this. I knew there was a reason I liked Sharla for it in particular, I just forgot why.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Which is, of course, another good reason when you're refining into cylinders to dump as much chaff along with the qualities you want as is possible, so that if you do get a stupid lucky chain of boosts when you least want it it's less likely to send that Double Attack V quality to 105%.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chronojam posted:

Character motivation is kind of a big thing for all the major players, which is nice. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it hits you in the face like the start of the game.

I love Riki's motivation for joining you (at least the one he cites when first joining the party), that he's in deep with the loan sharks and is "volunteering" to go along. But he has so many littlepons to feed :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Attaboy! Now prepare to be blown away once you take in the next major outdoor area. I forget if it automatically changes to daytime when you enter it, just make sure after you come out the other side of the cave you wait until daylight before moving to the next zone. It is worth it.

That area is really awesome. You can see Bionis and Mechonis plus there are giant dinosaurs! I managed not to get squished while I bet up a lot of horses for sweet, sweet quest rewards.

• Locked thread