Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Do I really have to drive all the way back to where I was supposed to kill someone because I got killed? I even saved right before I entered the area. Thats going to really kill my enjoyment of the game I imagine.

Edit: Ok, hiding in some bushes surrounded by 5 people using the bow is pretty fun

Jose fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Is anyone having an issue on the PC version where sounds seem to be far worse quality than they actually should be? Soundbytes like NPC barks come in at incredibly poor quality and sound like their bitrate is all screwed up, things like weapon sounds etc are fine though.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I just played some Bronze Tier maps and there's some awful, lazy, badly-made poo poo in there. A huge empty dom map where one team's spawn points are as far as they can possibly be from the closely-placed flags and the only terrain feature is a single giant vertical cliff in the centre? Glad you put so much time and effort into it, mate.

Then I tried some Silver Tier maps (ie, ones that people have voted as being good) and they're every bit as horrible. A perfectly flat island with almost no cover and houses randomly dotted around with spawn points on the roofs so that if you've unlocked a sniper rifle you have a 360-degree field of clear fire over pretty much the whole map? Job well done! :ughh:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
This game isn't very challenging, is not as atmospheric as Far Cry 2, has a doofus for a main character and a laughable story that doesn't work at all. The crafting is gamey, the RPG elements are mostly unnecessary, the enemies are myopic and easily dispatched, and the economy is seven shades of hosed up.

Also, it's my favorite game of the year and I love it.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets

Scott Bakula posted:

Do I really have to drive all the way back to where I was supposed to kill someone because I got killed? I even saved right before I entered the area. Thats going to really kill my enjoyment of the game I imagine.

Edit: Ok, hiding in some bushes surrounded by 5 people using the bow is pretty fun

you do know about fast travel, right? Just select a liberated outpost and you can travel there instantly. And for the most part, the game does a quick auto-save right as you being any mission or side-quest.

I had been ignoring the Hunting missions until last night. Most were really easy with the right Hunting syringes but goddamn, the Black Panther hunt (first island) got me killed repeatedly. The game spawned a regular leopard right near the Black Panther I was stalking. It's tough enough to kill one of these beasts with a bow (which, to this point, I haven't been using) but now I have to dodge two of these suckers? I finally peppered the Black Panther with enough arrows to bring it down but as I was skinning it, the leopard got the drop on me...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Found my first tiger. Spotted 2 green plants on the other side of a river and had no health syringes so jumped over. Had my bow out and was pretty much dead before I had time to react. Those things are fierce

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I'm not sure what to make of everyone's opinions on this game.

For one, I hated Far Cry 2. After about three hours and having constant respawning roadblocks full of people to murder I just got so angry with their design choices.

And this one got the same scores as 2...

but I keep reading how people love and hate it at the same time.

So is it a lot more fun that two? Does it have some decent replay value?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hunting Dingos with an anti-tank rifle. Feels good. :c00lbert:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I didn't hate 2 but found it frustrating in many places. This game I think is a lot more fun, though hardly flawless.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I kind of want a mod that makes me Corvo from Dishonored. All the powers from that would be amazing fun with this open world jungle.

I'm not very far into the game at all but I've had a lot of fun with it. I don't think I'll get the same feeling I did with the best times I had in the original Far Cry, but I don't think any game will. Sitting on top of a small island with a sniper rifle and picking off everyone in the level so I could then wander around at will was a lot of fun.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Songbearer posted:

Is anyone having an issue on the PC version where sounds seem to be far worse quality than they actually should be? Soundbytes like NPC barks come in at incredibly poor quality and sound like their bitrate is all screwed up, things like weapon sounds etc are fine though.

I've had it get stuck on the sort of muffled sound you hear when you're about to die but reloading fixed it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Songbearer posted:

Yes, and everyone has a bad stutter. Haven't found a fix yet. :(

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
I just finished a mission where you have to destroy a fleing boat at the end under 40 seconds. I got caught off guard and just timed a grenade perfectly on the boat while it was not even at 50 feets from me.

Once the mission was finished I noticed that there was a RPG lying next to a crate that I could of used but thought to myself there was no way it would of been more badass than what just happened.

This game is good.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

I get the low quality sound thing all the time.

Stutter too, but it's random. Sometimes I'll be playing and it's fine and sometimes it just turns into a slideshow. Happens whenever at any and all times. Not often but enough that something seems off about it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SplitSoul posted:

Huh? I have no stutter or sound problems, ever. I'm almost done with the game. Definitely lots of people do, but not everybody.

If that's not what you meant than disregard this.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This game isn't very challenging, is not as atmospheric as Far Cry 2...

Have you tried instaling the no-HUD wallhack-remove mods? It makes the game like a thousand times more difficult and immersive. And its as easy as extracting a folder into your game directory.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Frog 1.0 posted:

I just finished a mission where you have to destroy a fleing boat at the end under 40 seconds. I got caught off guard and just timed a grenade perfectly on the boat while it was not even at 50 feets from me.

Once the mission was finished I noticed that there was a RPG lying next to a crate that I could of used but thought to myself there was no way it would of been more badass than what just happened.

This game is good.

If that's the burning the pot fields mission I too missed the rocket launched and destroyed the boat by jumping off the dock and onto the boat, setting it on fire with the flamethrower and then bailing. The explosion nearly killed me but it was worth it!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So good, even Yahtzee has little bad to say about it.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish

Yodzilla posted:

If that's the burning the pot fields mission I too missed the rocket launched and destroyed the boat by jumping off the dock and onto the boat, setting it on fire with the flamethrower and then bailing. The explosion nearly killed me but it was worth it!

That's the one, I manage to get a headshot kill on a heavy pirate with a LMG for 200xp on that mission too.

cornlog
May 1, 2008
I had a bug where I was invisible to pirates and probably all hostiles.

I am playing on the 360 on the warrior difficulty. I was playing post game wrap up. I still have five outposts on the first island and a majority on the second island. I decided to do the Dashing Assault Rakyat Trial. With all my skills unlocked I figured I could get a decent high score. I got 900 getting stealths on conga lines of dudes.

After leaving the challenge I went over to the area that is close by with respawning pirates. This area also happens to be the area where the trial takes place, just out in the world. The pirates there happenned to be fighting cassowaries so I figured they were ignoring me for a good reason. Except after they mopped up the cassowaries they would just stand around doing their normal business. I was standing non crouched right in front of them and I would get the takedown prompt. So I shot one with a shotgun to wake them up. The other pirates reacted to the dead pirate but not to me. I dispatched the rest and decided to fast travel and test my new found power on a pirate occupied outpost.

I thought that fast travel might have gotten rid of the bug but I strolled right into the outpost and the pirates ignored me. I walked up to a leopard cage and tantoed it open. It managed to take out two pirates before getting slaughtered. The rest of the pirates I mopped up by dropping mines in front of them while they were looking right at me. Blue flag pops up and I get Outpost Cleared Undetected 1500XP. My power dissapeared after I quit and reloaded the game. Which is good because the last thing I need is something that makes this game easier.

I don't have the patience to try and replicate weird anamolies in games but maybe someone in here who does, might like to see if they can make it happen for themselves.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Spoilers if anyone cares.

Frog 1.0 posted:

That's the one, I manage to get a headshot kill on a heavy pirate with a LMG for 200xp on that mission too.

I actually managed to burn down every field without being spotted and only "announced" myself during a mad sprint to the docks. That was pretty loving great.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Levitate posted:

I found sharks to be pretty disappointing. They just swim up and bite you once and swim off. I guess there's supposed to be some kind of crocodile-ish grab and QTE escape, but they've never done that to me

They only do it while your head is above water.

Asehujiko posted:

After I crafted all the bag upgrades, is there anything to do with animal skins like new recipes unlocking later?

No.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This game isn't very challenging, is not as atmospheric as Far Cry 2, has a doofus for a main character and a laughable story that doesn't work at all. The crafting is gamey, the RPG elements are mostly unnecessary, the enemies are myopic and easily dispatched, and the economy is seven shades of hosed up.

Yeah, the game has some definite major flaws, but it's also a game I can play for hours and hours on end, and that says something, as I often get bored with most games after a few hours. :v:

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Levitate posted:

I found sharks to be pretty disappointing. They just swim up and bite you once and swim off. I guess there's supposed to be some kind of crocodile-ish grab and QTE escape, but they've never done that to me
I wouldn't know. I don't go near sharks if they're still alive so I haven't actually been attacked by one. I should probably "face my fear" and jump in some shark infested waters.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I'll never forget my friend coming over and wanting to punch a shark. He dove into the water and looked for 10 minutes for one. Nothing. Eventually one does manage to sneak up on him which was funny, but after he turned around there were 6 just chillin behind him.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

SplitSoul posted:

Best combination I've seen so far.

Hereticus Weapons Mod 1:

Link

- Unlocks all attachments
- Adds better sights
- Unlocks all weapons as either:
a) purchasable or progressively obtainable by capturing radio towers
b) purchasable or obtainable by capturing ALL radio towers

c) purchasable only

Thanks for linking this, best mod so far.
However upon unpacking it I noticed it has graphic icons for the different tagging symbols, so it might have included a no-tagging mod too without mentioning it. I deleted those graphics just in-case.

Now all I'm really looking for is a mod that adjusts XP-balance in the game (not sure if this is possible yet), better fire spreading (possible but the file hasn't been done yet by gibbed), makes animals less bullet-spongey (I'm going to be working on that but need people's opinions on what animals fall under this category), and finally a solution of some sort to enemies disappearing from the map after clearing bases (sadly I don't believe this will be possible to take care of through mods but maybe I'm wrong).

@Gibbed: How did you re-enable some attachments for your attachments mod that previously didn't show up in the game? I ask because I just noticed that there's a sound supressor available for both the M133 and the 1887 shotguns (in-case I want to be Anton Chigurh). It must be a simple variable I need to change but I'm not seeing it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Make animals less bullet spongey? You want them all to die in one hit by anything?

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Yodzilla posted:

Make animals less bullet spongey? You want them all to die in one hit by anything?

Definitely not, but there are a few animals that can take half an AK mag that shouldn't be able to.

Why do you automatically jump to the conclusion that I want to be able to one-shot all the animals? That's a big leap from what I said.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Yodzilla posted:

If possible, I'd just like locational damage. I'd like a tiger to die from 1-2 shots to the head by bullet or bow, not 10.

Cardboard Box posted:

I wish I could've seen my face the first time I unloaded an entire MP5 magazine into a tiger's face and it kept coming.

Probably something like this:

Morter fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 12, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I wish I could've seen my face the first time I unloaded an entire MP5 magazine into a tiger's face and it kept coming.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
That's fine, I guess I just didn't have a problem with animal tenacity in this game. I liked that they were powerful and could gently caress you up even with how fast you got your hands on powerful weaponry.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Is there a way to add a silencer to the AMR sniper rifle? I love that thing and the explosive rounds are amazing for taking out vehicles and enemies, but it's so drat loud.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Keeping a shotgun always seems a good way to deal with animals. Is this actually true?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Scott Bakula posted:

Keeping a shotgun always seems a good way to deal with animals. Is this actually true?
That's what I think, yeah. No other weapon I have tried improves my survivability if I am jumped by a tiger than a shotgun.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah you can kill just about anything with one shotgun blast to the face, tigers included.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I don't understand why everyone is calling Jason a useless rich white boy. The dialogue says he was a good student and had a nice job lined up. Then when he's thrust into this island jungle he adapts to everything pretty quickly. In practice he is no less able than the clichéd ex-special forces characters that typically feature in shooters. He's a Gordon Freeman with personality. Yes, he freaks out early on at all the horror, but wouldn't you do the same?

az
Dec 2, 2005

The hunter mission that sent me to kill three bears with a skorpion made me say "youve got to be making GBS threads me" outloud.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Baron Bifford posted:

I don't understand why everyone is calling Jason a useless rich white boy. The dialogue says he was a good student and had a nice job lined up. Then when he's thrust into this island jungle he adapts to everything pretty quickly. In practice he is no less able than the clichéd ex-special forces characters that typically feature in shooters. He's a Gordon Freeman with personality. Yes, he freaks out early on at all the horror, but wouldn't you do the same?
Well, it was my understanding that he adapted because he is the chosen one and has always had magic jungle powers, even in his old life, he just didn't know it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Huh? I have no stutter or sound problems, ever. I'm almost done with the game. Definitely lots of people do, but not everybody.

No, I mean, everyone in the game talks like they have a bad stutter and particularly Jason's voice sometimes sounds like he's been inhaling lots of butane. Which I guess wouldn't be surprising, dude's an IV drug addict, smokes weed by the metric tonne, trips on shrooms and pops strange, coloured pills whenever he stumbles upon them, butane would be the least of it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

SplitSoul posted:

No, I mean, everyone in the game talks like they have a bad stutter and particularly Jason's voice sometimes sounds like he's been inhaling lots of butane. Which I guess wouldn't be surprising, dude's an IV drug addict, smokes weed by the metric tonne, trips on shrooms and pops strange, coloured pills whenever he stumbles upon them, butane would be the least of it.

Weird dialogue audio is like a tradition in Far Cry at this point. The NPCs in Far Cry 2 talked super fast and quietly. It's a lot better in this game but still kind of sticks out.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I've crafted all the stuff to craft, and there was still one rare PotH mission that left me with a rare shark skin that I can't do anything with. It just sits here mocking me in my rucksack. Did I miss something here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

Jason's backstory is literally "useless rich white boy". It's not hyperbole - he's terrified in the beginning of the game and is hesitant to do basically anything, his girlfriend admits in a tearful goodbye that she "waited her whole life for him to start acting like a man", and the backstory the bio gives to his character is something every rich white kid believes about themselves at some point - will probably succeed at whatever he tries, but destined to go on to greater things than your typical $200,000 a year office job. Doing well in business and in school has gotten so boring to him that the game even characterizes him as a restless thrill seeker, so you get the image of him touring the world on his parents' cash and doing all sorts of crazy poo poo.

It doesn't make him a bad character, but it is very much an intentional part of his backstory.

• Locked thread