Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Young Freud posted:

They armored up a golf cart, didn't they?

Seriously, I'm trying to find what vehicle frame they used as basis for the chassis, and all I can think is "golf cart".

It's cute, but of dubious utility.

It's probably based on a midget truck/van chasis - there are tons of them in Syria. It's clearly built to be used on narrow streets, where there's no chance of running into an APC or tank. In a straight gunfight, this would give an edge, at least until it runs into the first RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

They armored up a golf cart, didn't they?

Seriously, I'm trying to find what vehicle frame they used as basis for the chassis, and all I can think is "golf cart".

It's cute, but of dubious utility.

Probably something more like this:

Small 4x4 offroad vehicles with pretty powerful engines. Old men like to drive them through the woods out in my neck of the woods.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Probably something more like this:

Small 4x4 offroad vehicles with pretty powerful engines. Old men like to drive them through the woods out in my neck of the woods.

Yeah, the high clearance gives it away to me as some sort of off road vehicle.

Also things like this are mainly of use in dealing with snipers.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

farraday posted:

Yeah, the high clearance gives it away to me as some sort of off road vehicle.

Also things like this are mainly of use in dealing with snipers.

Wouldn't a 50 Cal tear right through that? I have no idea what kind of weapons the Syrian Army has at their disposal, but I'm guessing it's pretty high quality.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pon de Bundy posted:

Wouldn't a 50 Cal tear right through that? I have no idea what kind of weapons the Syrian Army has at their disposal, but I'm guessing it's pretty high quality.

The big boy on the block for the Syrian Army is probably something like the OSV-96. They're pretty expensive, and most of them are probably bumping around in the better-equipped units that are covering Assad's butt in Damascus. The OSV-96's cartridge could probably penetrate that little car's armor, but it'd be safe from most other small arms in the Syrian Army's inventory.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Pon de Bundy posted:

I would not be surprised if 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 could tear through it (if fired dead on at a flat surface) or at least cause serious spalling which can kill or injure the occupants.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm starting to see news pop up that Russia sent SS-26s (Iskander-E) TBMs to Syria in response to the NATO announcement that Patriot batteries would be deployed to Turkey, but so far from nowhere particularly reputable.

It's a nasty weapon system, though the E model is for export and somewhat handicapped compared to the domestic system.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

What makes it nasty and notable? I presume it can't be converted to use chemical warheads...

In any case Russia would be daft to go through with that at this juncture.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's quite accurate. It's fairly fast, which can make it a challenge to hit with some missile defense systems, but mostly it can maneuver both during launch and during the reentry so as to make it harder to do the following:

-Know where it's going when it launches if you pick it up on infra-red satellite systems
-Know where it came from if you only detect it with radar and didn't observe the launch
-Know exactly where it's going to land, since it may maneuver at the end and throw off your predicted impact point, which can affect engagement decisions if you are trying to shoot it down instead of just provide early warning.
-Hitting the thing can get harder if it starts maneuvering after you've committed interceptors if you're firing an interceptor that can't handle such maneuvers.
-Its initial maneuvering could make boost-phase intercept harder if we even really had boost-phase interceptors yet.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its a weapon which can be used to kill Patriot batteries. Might even be a cost effective way to do so.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I think the tank was more of some FSA member's project rather than they planned to use it in actual warfare. People can be passionate about strange things, building that 'tank' was probably a great learning experience and a lot of fun.

Just a different perspective, we can't really know from a few images what the purpose was.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

mlmp08 posted:

I'm starting to see news pop up that Russia sent SS-26s (Iskander-E) TBMs to Syria in response to the NATO announcement that Patriot batteries would be deployed to Turkey, but so far from nowhere particularly reputable.

It's a nasty weapon system, though the E model is for export and somewhat handicapped compared to the domestic system.

Where did you see this? I have a hard time believing it just on principle, since it's such a hefty escalation.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Like I said: nowhere reputable http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/russia-arms-syria-with-powerful-ballistic-missiles/

edit: ha, I didn't look at the author. It's that guy again :rolleyes:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mlmp08 posted:

Like I said: nowhere reputable http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/russia-arms-syria-with-powerful-ballistic-missiles/

edit: ha, I didn't look at the author. It's that guy again :rolleyes:

That comment section!

quote:

Jesus was not a Jew. He was an Aryan priest of Chemosh espousing a return to worship of the sun and his representative on Earth; the sun king. Our holy Pope the Vicar of Christ is today's living son of God on Earth and sun king he is Pontifex Maximus!

:allears:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

That comment section!

:allears:

:catstare: Now that is some quality crazy!

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Are there any polls on the support for Morsi's constitution?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

CNN Breaking News posted:

President Barack Obama recognizes Syrian opposition coalition as "the legitimate representative of the Syrian people."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I saw that, its about time....but it means gently caress all in actual support for the rebels.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I saw that, its about time....but it means gently caress all in actual support for the rebels.

I'd wager it's part of a ramp-up to air support in the coming months. I don't think Obama would take any action unless it was with others as part of NATO or whatever but I think we're not too far from that, one way or another.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

CommieGIR posted:

Maybe more involvement from the CIA around the Turkish boarder?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

octoroon posted:

I'd wager it's part of a ramp-up to air support in the coming months. I don't think Obama would take any action unless it was with others as part of NATO or whatever but I think we're not too far from that, one way or another.

Barring some kind of major escalation by the regime (like using chemical weapons) I think the US and NATO are going to sit this one out. An extremely war-exhausted public combined with major obstruction by Russia and China in getting any kind of UN mandate makes a no fly zone or bombing campaign in Syria extremely unpalatable for western powers. What we will probably see is the continuation of non-lethal assistance that has been going on for a while.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

It does in context with all the other countries doing the same towards the Coalition. Every step towards legitimacy they make with the international community will have a huge effect on how things play out as they move in as the interim government post-Assad.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Charliegrs posted:

Barring some kind of major escalation by the regime (like using chemical weapons) I think the US and NATO are going to sit this one out. An extremely war-exhausted public combined with major obstruction by Russia and China in getting any kind of UN mandate makes a no fly zone or bombing campaign in Syria extremely unpalatable for western powers. What we will probably see is the continuation of non-lethal assistance that has been going on for a while.

Yeah. Obama will send non-military support, but barring the sort of international consensus that developed over Libya (with both a UN and Arab League vote for authorization to use force) and a firm commitment from NATO, the US won't intervene.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah. Obama will send non-military support, but barring the sort of international consensus that developed over Libya (with both a UN and Arab League vote for authorization to use force) and a firm commitment from NATO, the US won't intervene.

:crossarms: Not as long as the US is in Afghanistan and there is no clear solution for the Turkey/Kurdistan issue. It's likely the region will remain unstable until 2014. Then the major conflict between US and Eurasian narratives and interests will come to a head even more.

It's a slow motion Cuban Missile Crisis :ssh:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

McDowell posted:

:crossarms: Not as long as the US is in Afghanistan and there is no clear solution for the Turkey/Kurdistan issue. It's likely the region will remain unstable until 2014. Then the major conflict between US and Eurasian narratives and interests will come to a head even more.

It's a slow motion Cuban Missile Crisis :ssh:

Honestly, I don't buy the major Eurasian conflict narrative. Syria isn't that important, and even Putin's ego won't make it important.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zeroisanumber posted:

Honestly, I don't buy the major Eurasian conflict narrative. Syria isn't that important, and even Putin's ego won't make it important.

Alex Jones was on twitter today saying how people should denounce the US arming 'terrorists' in Syria. Which I believe remains the official Russian position.

Why do you think Russia and Egypt shut down NGOs? Perception/Narrative Control.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

McDowell posted:

Alex Jones was on twitter today saying how people should denounce the US arming 'terrorists' in Syria. Which I believe remains the official Russian position.

Why do you think Russia and Egypt shut down NGOs? Perception/Narrative Control.

Sure Russia doesn't like US policy towards Syria but there is quite a difference between two countries criticising each other in public and the Cuban Missile Crisis. I think you're being just a bit melodramatic there

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the latest report from Human Rights Watch I contributed to, Syria: Incendiary Weapons Used in Populated Areas.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax
Breaking news on nytimes.com that the Syrian army has fired Scud missiles at the insurgents. Hope they weren't filled with chemical weapons...

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
NYTimes is saying Syria has fired SCUD missiles at insurgent forces. Weren't the chemical weapons NBC talked about last week distributed by SCUDs? Either way this is definitely worrying.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
No other source reporting yet but I place the NYTimes up there with the Beeb in terms of not needing immediate corroboration.

Throwing missiles at your own cities and bases (The rebels hold bases now, don't they?) seems to me to be a major step up, because Scuds aren't exactly what one would call a precision weapon.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Golbez posted:

No other source reporting yet but I place the NYTimes up there with the Beeb in terms of not needing immediate corroboration.

Throwing missiles at your own cities and bases (The rebels hold bases now, don't they?) seems to me to be a major step up, because Scuds aren't exactly what one would call a precision weapon.

Yeah, I don't see why they would fire SCUDS. They are known to be inaccurate and the payload for conventional explosives doesn't seem that high. Wouldn't they be better off just bombing from an airplane?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Vladimir Putin posted:

Yeah, I don't see why they would fire SCUDS. They are known to be inaccurate and the payload for conventional explosives doesn't seem that high. Wouldn't they be better off just bombing from an airplane?

Keep in mind this is the same force that we saw use a naval mine in place of a bomb in the last week.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Keep in mind this is the same force that we saw use a naval mine in place of a bomb in the last week.

Yeah this. It could very well be that the Syrian Army is just continuing to run out of weapons and are reaching "throw the kitchen sink" stage.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
fake(scud)edit: ^^^^^^ Oh yeah, Scuds, great idea, worked oh so well for that other Baath Party!

Hey Brown Moses (congrats for the HRW work) have you had confirmation of the Sheikh Suleiman base? That would be big if confirmed.

Also, what in the everloving gently caress happened there: Up to 200 hurt in attack on Syrian Alawite village - activists So many versions, idk, the only certain thing is "poo poo, hosed".

And the BBC just said a bomb exploded at the Syrian Interior Ministry. Weeee.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ecureuilmatrix posted:

fake(scud)edit: ^^^^^^ Oh yeah, Scuds, great idea, worked oh so well for that other Baath Party!

Hey Brown Moses (congrats for the HRW work) have you had confirmation of the Sheikh Suleiman base? That would be big if confirmed.

Also, what in the everloving gently caress happened there: Up to 200 hurt in attack on Syrian Alawite village - activists So many versions, idk, the only certain thing is "poo poo, hosed".

And the BBC just said a bomb exploded at the Syrian Interior Ministry. Weeee.

I was trying to find some videos from Sheikh Suleiman last night, it would be pretty clear if it had been captured, but I get the feeling the videos we are seeing are from smaller artillery bases that surround the base. God knows what happened in Arqab, sems there's a number of contradictory stories. Guess I'll be hunting for UXO Scud missiles now as well.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Shadoer posted:

Yeah this. It could very well be that the Syrian Army is just continuing to run out of weapons and are reaching "throw the kitchen sink" stage.

Another possibility is that the Air Force is refusing to fly in the face of the anti-aircraft armaments the FSA now has, so Scuds are the only way to deliver bombs at the moment.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!
Can't wait to see the FSA's homebrewed anti-missile defense.

Guessing it will be controlled by the spinny ball thing from the classic "missile defense" arcade game.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Democracy Now! reports 200 Alawites killed or injured in an unnamed village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Muscle Tracer posted:

Perhaps the order was to mine the roads :rimshot:

• Locked thread