Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Finished the first real boss last night, been following the GiantBomb endurance run (only watching the vids of things I've passed) and that first boss looks way more annoying in the PS2 version. Even some mechanics were altered. Is this a difficulty thing (I'm playing on normal) or did they just make changes to all the bosses?

They rebalanced that fight for Golden because it was way to hard for the point of the game it's at in the PS2 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Dr Pepper posted:

They rebalanced that fight for Golden because it was way to hard for the point of the game it's at in the PS2 version.

That makes sense, because goddamn that looked frustrating.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Moriveth posted:

Okay, I just saw "Operation Up Close And Personal."

That was... Amazing. I have to love how they made even more scenes for Yosuke to look like an rear end. And I like Yosuke! He's just such a teenager.

I actually reloaded my save after that because it ended before I had a chance to talk to all the NPCs.

My favorite was the girl who talks in Spanish. I also joined the crazy woman's religion and it was great.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
I hate the friendship/dating mechinac in female social links. I'm accidentally dating Rise now, because holy gently caress not dating her means you stand there like an rear end in a top hat while she's crying her eyes out and asking for a hug. Sure "friendship"

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Thankfully, there are only two Links like that.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Undead Unicorn posted:

I hate the friendship/dating mechinac in female social links. I'm accidentally dating Rise now, because holy gently caress not dating her means you stand there like an rear end in a top hat while she's crying her eyes out and asking for a hug. Sure "friendship"

Seriously! You'd think they'd at least give you a "put an arm around her shoulders in a sympathetic and totally platonic way" option, rather than forcing you to choose between "embrace her like a lover" and "stand stock-still like a robot beep boop what is this HUMAN com-pas-sion"

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I wish I had picked "easy" instead of normal. I'm fighting the boss at the end of the first castle/dungeon. My personas kind of suck but they're about the right level, my gear is about as good as could be expected. The fight goes on for a long time but it's ok I got her pattern down. Focus the add, guard when she does her big attack, right cool this isn't so bad. Then when I'm about a turn away from killing her she does the kill everyone attack with no warning and now I have to do the whole fight again.

I'm juuuuuust far enough in the game where starting over would basically mean "get bored and never play it again" so I guess I'm going to do be starting fights over a lot.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I wish I had picked "easy" instead of normal. I'm fighting the boss at the end of the first castle/dungeon. My personas kind of suck but they're about the right level, my gear is about as good as could be expected. The fight goes on for a long time but it's ok I got her pattern down. Focus the add, guard when she does her big attack, right cool this isn't so bad. Then when I'm about a turn away from killing her she does the kill everyone attack with no warning and now I have to do the whole fight again.

I'm juuuuuust far enough in the game where starting over would basically mean "get bored and never play it again" so I guess I'm going to do be starting fights over a lot.

If I remember correctly, there is an earlygame persona that you can fuse that nulls fire, and you can pass it red wall, to cast on Chie so that she doesn't get knocked down by the boss.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Don't worry about it. Persona 4 is weird in that its difficulty curve is almost backwards. In the PS2 game, for example, Shadow Yukiko was probably the hardest boss in the entire game.

It's just a minor brick wall, just keep at it, maybe consider grinding a little.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Just out of curiosity, are you using Rakunda? I didn't really use that much strategy in that fight beyond Rakunda and Bufu when her defenses went down. Maybe occasionally swapping in a Fire resisting persona (Ukobach?) when she's about to do a big move on top of guarding. There's only so much you can do at that point in the game, after all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rasamune posted:

Seriously! You'd think they'd at least give you a "put an arm around her shoulders in a sympathetic and totally platonic way" option, rather than forcing you to choose between "embrace her like a lover" and "stand stock-still like a robot beep boop what is this HUMAN com-pas-sion"

Still isn't worth it :colbert:

Rise is irritating and I'll romance her over MY DEAD BODY.

Also with this new skill card system and shuffle time, I kind of want to make team HAIL SATAN. A team comprised entirely of variations of Satan.

Satan, Helel, Samael, Beelzebub...who else? Is Asmodeus in?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

No, but there's Lucifer. And Chernobog if you wanna go all night on bald mountain.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Captain Oblivious posted:

Still isn't worth it :colbert:

Rise is irritating and I'll romance her over MY DEAD BODY.

Also with this new skill card system and shuffle time, I kind of want to make team HAIL SATAN. A team comprised entirely of variations of Satan.

There's also Baal Zebul, but considering Beelzebub, that's just kinda redundant.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Baal Zebul, too.

Pyros
Mar 24, 2003

The Leper Messiah

The Grimace posted:

It pretty much sets up the next Persona game. Lots of speculation on what's going to happen. Possibly some influences by Nyarlathotep too. More string pulling from behind the scenes, essentially setting up another mystery as to who the perpetrator is. There's a lot of enigmatic stuff in the plotline. Labrys, the character added in Arena, is really amazing and a great addition to the Inaba team. Her voice is adorable, too. :allears: I'm looking forward to seeing how the next game will play out, since it seems like it's going to combine a lot of elements from both P3 and P4.

Also, if you're a fan of P3, I'd definitely recommend playing through Elizabeth's storyline. I mean, play everyone's storyline, because they're all great. Kanji's is as funny as you might expect, and actually raises some of the most unanswered questions. I just wish I didn't suck so much at the actual game. It's beautiful and has a lot of strategy to it, but I seize up when I have to make quick decisions in seconds. I'm great at RPGs, but when it comes to super fast fighters like P4A, I'm really intimidated.

I just set the gameplay to Easy and played for the story. Which wasn't hard, since there is about a minute of fighting for every 15 minutes of text. But it is definitely worth playing -- the characterization and writing is on par with Persona 4, and I preferred the mystery of the over-arching story.

Pyros fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 14, 2012

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I read earlier in the thread that Black Frost is awesome. It's June 21st in my game, should I focus on getting this guy?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I read earlier in the thread that Black Frost is awesome. It's June 21st in my game, should I focus on getting this guy?
He's a level 38 persona, so if you're high enough to get him then go for it. He's one of the best casters for a long, long while.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Hooray I beat Shadow Yukiko! Thanks to some desperate last minute oh god please don't kill everyone attacking.

I like the school segments even though I keep getting the answers wrong. They asked me a question about my favorite Murakami novel which was kind of a surprise.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
All I know is if I don't win the pageant, Kanji had better. :colbert:

Oh god this is glorious. Kanji reminds me of Marilyn Monroe. I can't stop laughing.

Oh gently caress me. Teddie is such an rear end in a top hat.

FiestaDePantalones fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 12, 2012

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Duesenjaeger posted:

Oh god this is glorious. Kanji reminds me of Marilyn Monroe. I can't stop laughing.

Uh yeah, it's the iconic dress from The Seven Year Itch. I literally have a t-shirt with That Scene on it, and now because of this post I want to tell people it's a Persona shirt.

Also did anybody link this? Because it owns.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I just got my first Sweep Bonus.

Holy crap, this is completely absurd. And after you've got a sweep bonus, it feels like it's impossible not to just keep stacking them on after every battle.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Also did anybody link this? Because it owns.

I wish this could be my Vita startup screen/home background music now.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Endorph posted:

He's a level 38 persona, so if you're high enough to get him then go for it. He's one of the best casters for a long, long while.

Wow, OK I'll hang in there for a while. I'm level 26.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Duesenjaeger posted:

Oh gently caress me. Teddie is such an rear end in a top hat.

This is not the last time you will have this opinion, believe you me

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I just got my first Sweep Bonus.

Holy crap, this is completely absurd. And after you've got a sweep bonus, it feels like it's impossible not to just keep stacking them on after every battle.

I try not to go too crazy with Sweep Bonuses. Sometimes you'll get stuck with cards you don't want either from the initial draw or from a Change card and you can't back out if you already picked a card.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Also how is the Anime? I'm considering getting the blurays of it, but I'm wondering if I should finish the game first or if they are even worth it.

I've only seen the Japanese version, but the anime is great. The Blurays are actually cheaper than the DVDs because they don't have the Japanese language option.

The second volume is coming out on January 15th.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Nessa posted:

The Blurays are actually cheaper than the DVDs because they don't have the Japanese language option.

Really? When I ordered the DVDs last week (gotta have all my options, or else I'd have gotten Bluray) they were the same price.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

King of Solomon posted:

There's also Baal Zebul, but considering Beelzebub, that's just kinda redundant.

Son I don't think you understand. I am assembling a team comprised entirely of different interpretations of the same mythological entity. At what point of this does redundancy sound like a problem? :colbert:

(You must gather your Satans before venturing forth)

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Couple questions:

Finished the first real boss last night, been following the GiantBomb endurance run (only watching the vids of things I've passed) and that first boss looks way more annoying in the PS2 version. Even some mechanics were altered. Is this a difficulty thing (I'm playing on normal) or did they just make changes to all the bosses?

Also how is the Anime? I'm considering getting the blurays of it, but I'm wondering if I should finish the game first or if they are even worth it.

Going back and watching those, and marveling at how streamlined they've made things. Restart at the start of the dungeon level if you wipe, being able to choose what skills fused personas get, shuffle time, it's really leaps and bounds more accessible now. Then again

The anime is actually very good. It can't linger on the combat too long, but it really makes the protagonist (Charlie Tunoku) look like an actual character rather than just a silent protagonist. Massive spoilers for the game/true ending.

Then again, I watched the entire endurance run and am still loving the heck out of this game.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Since I won't be getting the game until it releases in Europe, I've been watching a bit of the Persona 4 Animation instead.

It looks really well made, but could anyone tell me if there's any significant differences between it and the game? Preferably the ones that don't spoil the plot.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

That loving Sned posted:

Since I won't be getting the game until it releases in Europe, I've been watching a bit of the Persona 4 Animation instead.

It looks really well made, but could anyone tell me if there's any significant differences between it and the game? Preferably the ones that don't spoil the plot.

Doesn't P4A spoil the entire true ending?
Also, you could import it. It's not like it'll get DLC, so what are ya waiting for?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Undead Unicorn posted:

Yeah, honestly I think more of them could have benefitted from having multiple flags for it like Naoto does.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

RON PAUL ALL YEARS posted:

Doesn't P4A spoil the entire true ending?
Also, you could import it. It's not like it'll get DLC, so what are ya waiting for?

The True Ending's in a separate OVA, isn't it? As long as you don't watch that episode, you'd be fine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Strange Quark posted:

The True Ending's in a separate OVA, isn't it? As long as you don't watch that episode, you'd be fine.

The True Ending never aired on TV in Japan, it was DVD/BR only. So.. yeah it's on the disc.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, screw all you guys who say Naoki's boring. His interactions with Kanji are so adorable. :3:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It's really cool how they use the "I'll face myself" battle theme from the nevermore remix albem for the marie boss fight, I think it fits way better than the normal one. It was also cool how they made the mitsuo boss song 8-bit

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 13, 2012

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

neongrey posted:

Yeah, honestly I think more of them could have benefitted from having multiple flags for it like Naoto does.

From a mechanical standpoint, her's is the best and should be the model in Persona 5 of how to handle dating in social links. It actually greatly reduces creepy crap in these romance subplots inherent in games in general and in Persona's Social Links "help them with their mental issues to max out friendship/date them" specifically.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best way to handle dating in Persona 5 would be for the option to go 'I love you' to exist but for every girl to reject you for the completely understandable reason of 'I really appreciate that but I'm in kind of an emotionally unstable time and I'm not sure if I wouldn't just be forcing my problems on you if I dated you.'

It won't happen, but I can dream.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Romance in fiction doesn't work like that anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
What if, romance plays like normal but on Rank 10 when they go to your room, they find your copy of Witch Detective and the link instantly breaks because they can never look at you in the same light ever again?

• Locked thread