Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Welcome to the newest iOS Apps Megathread.

:siren:Thanks to Mr EFord for the previous incarnation of this thread, from which I cribbed a lot of this OP's text.:siren:

Once again this your one-stop-shop for NON-GAMING things related to the App Store. For general iPhone questions please go here and for iOS game related things in general please go here. Thanks!

I don’t know what an app is. Help!
In case you are serious: Apps, short for “applications,” are programs that you can download from an online store run by Apple, aptly named the “App Store,” for various prices. An App can do any number of things - weather forecasts, browse the web, take and save notes, or even be simple games for you to play. However, there’s a lot of cruft in the App Store, you should not be arsed to try every single note-taking App on the store to find the one that suits your purposes, especially if some of them cost money to purchase. This thread is meant to help you find apps specific to your needs and generally inform fellow goons about exemplary apps that might have otherwise slipped your notice.

How do I check out the App Store?
Easy, check it out via iTunes or on your iPhone by clicking/tapping the App Store program. Note: In case you're wondering, you CAN use iTunes gift cards/certificates for purchasing Apps, the same as you can use the credit for buying songs, movies, and TV shows. You can also redeem free codes/gift cards straight from your iPhone by finding the redeem selection under the Categories tab, scroll to the bottom and tap “Redeem.”

How do I download an app
As easy as clicking on a button, putting in your iTunes Account password, and watching it download. On iTunes, the app will download and sync the next time you connect your device, while downloading through the App Store will put the App and a status bar one of your home screens (you may need to swipe to a later page to find it!) so you can see it download. If you need to pause the download, simply tap on the shadowed icon of the App. Keep in mind that some apps will add options at the bottom of the iPhone Settings App so check there if you're looking for a preference.

How much?
A lot of apps are currently free, with prices seeming to range from $5.00 to $20.00 for most Apps. There are a few specialized Apps that go for as high as $65.00. We already know that some apps (like the MLB one) "expire" after a certain time and you may have to buy a new one in a quasi subscription manner. There's also a HUGE market for the .99 App with many games and small utilities either having a permanent .99 price, or flexing between various prices and $.99.

It's also a good idea to note that there are a lot of duplicate Apps offering the same feature set, with some being free and some charging some amount. It's a good idea to look around and see if there's a free alternative before buying something else that charges for the same thing (assuming the free one is actually good). In addition, we've already seen some authors change apps from Free to paid and vice versa, so make sure you're paying attention so you don't get shafted.

Finally, Apple has changed the App Store review system to allow only purchasers of the App to rate it. That means that Apps should be a bit more reliable with their review ratings, although there is some argument as to whether folks that buy an app will instinctively give it a higher rating (because they paid money for it). In addition, Apple allows you to instantly rate an App when you delete it from your iPhone/Touch, which has led to a sharp increase in ratings from those reviews (typically lower scores in general) without any written reviews to backup the score. In any case, reading the written reviews and not just focusing on the aggregate should give you a decent idea of what the program is like. The vast majority of iPhone App reviewers are dumb as a rock. So make sure you actually read the reviews sometimes instead of looking at the aggregate. ("I LOVE THIS PROGRAM IT'S THE BEST EVER. ONE STAR!!!!)

What about Jailbreaking/Jailbroken Apps?
Any discussion on Apps that only work on jailbroken iPhones or on the process of jailbreaking or posting crappy Winterboard themes e.t.c. should be in the iOS Jailbreaking Thread. This thread is for talking about Official App Store programs and the like.

Administrivia
If you have anything to add or want to point out something I missed adding from the previous thread, post or PM me and I'll fix it as soon as I can.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

To pre-empt recommendations, I'll start with an website I'd argue is required, whether you're new to apps or a frequent customer: Appshopper. AppShopper lets you mark and monitor any App you're interested in on the App Store, and it can notify you if an App you're interested in ever drops in price. Used to be a native iOS App for the website, but Apple removed it.

GENERAL RECOMMENDATIONS
(All links go to AppShopper)

Calendars
  • Fantastical - The newest calendar app on the block. Originated from an OSX calendar app, well received on iOS. Includes natural language processing for scheduling new events ("Dinner at 7pm on Friday at The Watering Hole" schedules an event on Friday at 7pm with all the appropriate metadata. Neat!)

• Calvetica/Tempus - Two calendar apps by the same company. Calvetica is a more robust app with calendar and weekly views, Tempus more stripped down with only a calendar view.

• Sunrise - a calendar app with very good Google integration.

Email
  • Sparrow - Bought by Google, but still up on the App Store. Features a slicker UI than the stock Mail.app, with quick compose button and better label support for GMail. No natively supported push notifications, and no support for them coming soon it looks like.

• GMail - Gmail client by Google themselves. Features a slick UI, multiple account support, and push notifications. Some concerns over how it renders/frames the views for emails, but a polished product nontheless (Free).

• Mailbox - A Gmail email client featuring a GTD-like workflow and user experience, if that's your thing. (Free).

Web Browser
  • Atomic - Paid version features ad-blocking, a different rendering engine than Safari, private mode, downloading, and custom gestures. (Lite version)

• Maven - Nifty UI. Features a drag out fly-wheel for quick brightness settings/sharing options, a virtual trackpad for scrolling, iCloud bookmark syncing for multiple devices, and ad-block as an IAP.

• Chrome - Like the desktop browser. Features incognito tabs, swipe to switch tabs, and Chrome bookmark/tab sync. Lacks ad-block and some other UI niceties of the previous two though (Free)

Chat
  • imo Messenger - Probably the best multi-protocol messaging client around at the moment. Supports AIM, Yahoo, GChat, Facebook, you name it. Totally free as well.

• Colloquy/Limechat - well received IRC chat clients. I've heard better things about Limechat anecdotally but Colloquy was once the go-to client.

Twitter
  • Official Twitter Client - iOS5 introduced a native, official Twitter client to iDevices. Sufficies for most simple use cases, also free.

• Tweetbot - Better Twitter client for power users. Multiple account support, saved searched, better UI for navigating, retweets, and follows.

Native Applications for Web Apps/Services
A lot of big web services like the ones below offer mobile versions of their Desktop websites, ie Yelp, but they also offer a separate app "native" to iOS - these apps are generally much more responsive and fully fleshed out than their mobile counterparts.
  • Facebook - Officially integrated with iOS6 now. Received an overhaul recently so it's rather snappy compared to previously. Allows you to use Facebook Chat within it, and do most everything you could do on the website (Free).

• Google Maps - Hot off the presses. Alternative to the stock Maps app on iOS, features voiced turn-by-turn driving directions and public transit directions, arguably the biggest addition and missing feature (respectively) from iOS6 (Free).

• Awful - Browse the Something Awful forums with a slick UI and built in SALR functionality. Supports bookmarks, allows you to favorite forums/subforums, actively being improved on as of recently. (Free, and goon made obviously)

• Yelp - Restaraunt review and discovery tool by other users of the app/website. Dependent a little on population of the area, but useful in most major cities (Free).

• Alien Blue - Reddit browsing app. Cleaner, snappier UI than the mobile interface, inline image expansion in comments and post/edit comments. IAP to unlock other features, otherwise (Free).

Entertainment
  • Pandora - App for the popular online music radio. Streams music over wifi or 3G/4G/LTE if available. Can log in to listen to stations you've made previously (Free).

• Spotify/Rdio - The two big subscription-based music streaming services' have iOS apps, and their mostly the same barring catalog differences. Free only with subscription to either service.

• Kindle - E-Reader app for Amazon's Kindle Library. Syncs with your purchases on your Amazon account to allow you to read your books purchased on it. Can also manually add ebooks via iTunes to the app for reading (Free).

• Netflix/Hulu+ - Mean Girls or Community, streaming on your device. Why describe anything else? You already know how they work. Require a subscription with the respective service.

• Flipboard - A well presented newsreader that you can customize to taste. Choose to see only Apple news, or movie news, or both. Articles are usually well curated, and it feature a native article converter/reader for easy reading (Free).

Utilities and Miscellaneous (/To be sorted)
  • Ness - Personalized restaurant recommendation tool for your area. Enter restaurants you've been to, what you thought of them, and Ness returns with suggested restaurants in the area (Free).

• Mint - Finance management. Log into your bank through the App and it can track how much money you've spent in a given time, as well as let you set up budgets for spending what money you have left in the account, as well as anticipate paychecks (Free).

• Evernote - Generalized note-taking app. Write out text notes for yourself, or take a photo and write notes about it. Syncs with the Windows and OSX clients that Evernote provides as well (Free).

• Instagram - What your 12 year old niece wanted an iPhone for. Photo taking and sharing app with a wealth of filters for photos for pretending you are a skilled photographer. Allows sharing through Facebook as well as through the app itself (Free).

• LogMeIn - Provides one-click remote control for PCs and Macs. Make your iDevice an extension of your computer with remote access. Use a program that’s on your office computer. Help friends troubleshoot from afar. All from the palm of your hand (Free).

• Shazam/Soundhound - Song recognition apps. Basically the same, some people swear by one and spurn the other. Hold your phone up to the speaker, tell the app to start, and hope it works (Free).

• 1Password - Haven't used this myself, but as I understand it's a password unification services. Aggregate all your passwords in one app, and unlock them with a master password so you can access, copy, and paste them when necessary (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

• Reeder - A native Google Reader apps. Recent updates included a new UI that people found rather jarring, but no one seems to have continued complaints.

• Waze - Crowdsourced traffic monitoring and weighted turn by turn directions. Fellow users report on accidents, cop sightings, you name it, and the directions factor this in to get you to your destination in the shortest time possible.

• Downcast - Podcast manager. Universal, supports background downloading, subscriptions, and the other typical podcast niceties.

GOON RECOMMENDATIONS

bazaar apparatus posted:

Twitterrific 5 - Latest edition of the popular Twitter client that invented the idea of posts being called 'tweets' and I think they also were the first to use bird imagery in their icon. Anyway, this is the only client around right now that has me thinking about switching away from Tweetbot.

Drafts - Great app for quickly jotting down ideas in text form, and can be sent to any number of places like Evernote, Twitter, Dropbox, other text editor apps, Reminders, Clear, Fantastical, and a bunch more I'm forgetting. My review.

Clear - Awesome to-do list app. There are no buttons on-screen, everything is controlled by gestures, and it's very pretty.

Instacast - My favorite podcast manager, and I've tried them all, including Downcast and Pocket Casts.

Instapaper - I would find it hard to believe if anybody around here hasn't heard of Instapaper, but just in case, it's a service that allows you to save articles offline for reading later. It reformats them as well, making the reading experience so much better than if you were just viewing the article on its original website.

Hueless - Superb photography app that lets you shoot in monochrome. It's not just applying a black-and-white filter, it's the real deal. I wrote up a review with a bunch of example photos a while back.

Flickr - The latest update to this app is really nice. They took on some Instagram-like features (including optional filters) but it's still very much Flickr's thing and I like it a lot.

maduin posted:

Languages - This is a really cheap ($.99) offline translation application that also looks good.

Due - My favorite reminder app. It's $4.99, and not quite as creative as Clear, but really straight forward and cleanly designed. There's also a Mac app that syncs with it.

Check the Weather - My favorite weather app at the moment. It's fully featured and well-designed. It also has Dark Sky's short-term weather radar built into the app. ($1.99)

Recall - This is an app for jotting down movie, tv, and music (among other things) recommendations. ($2.99)

Squarespace Note - Really nicely designed, gesture driven note taking app. Syncs with Dropbox, Evernote, Squarespace, or other services. It's also free.

Launch Center Pro - This app is a bit hard to explain. It's sort of like a springboard inside of your springboard. You can create a ton of shortcuts for things like calling/texting/emailing a certain person or opening apps to perform certain actions. Disclaimer: I feel like this should be ridiculously useful, but I have a hard time remembering to use it. ($4.99)

Handoff is a pretty useful app as well. It uses a browser extension to send pages from your Mac or PC to your iOS device.

Delivery Status - If you buy a lot of stuff online, Star Wars Sex Parrot pretty much demands that you buy and use this.

Articles - This is the universal version (an iPhone only version is available for $2.99), but this is the best (subjective) Wikipedia app for iOS out there. It just looks great.

Red posted:

USB Disk - There's a free version and a great paid version with many perks. It's a great way to store documents/pictures/etc. in one place for easy access and review. I usually keep a few handy things on it, like various references and directions on my work phone, or some articles to read on my personal phone.

iconclock - A free clock app that looks like the classic Apple clock. It's neat and free.

Genius Scan - Scan and turn pictures into PDF documents (or JPGs). Free and paid versions.

White Noise - Best White Noise app I've found, and you can get additional paid/free noises. IT HAS FROGS, FROGS!

PaperKarma - Take a picture of your junk mail, submit it, and you'll never get that crap in the mail again. Free.

timb posted:

Weather
Dark Sky - Amazing weather app that will send you a push notification a few minutes before it starts raining in your exact location. It's actually really accurate; I don't think it's ever missed for me.

Partly Cloudy - Really unique forecast app that displays temperature and precipitation forecasts by rotating a dial.

RadarScope - This is the de facto weather radar app. Easy to use, full featured and fast.

Social
Avocado - This is like Facebook for you and YOUR GIRLFRIEND. Share pictures, texts, lists, appointments and even hugs and kisses with your SO in this slick little app.

Tapatalk - Forum browser that supports a ton of phpBB and vBulletin based sites.

Misc.
iStat - New version 2.0! Remote monitoring app for Linux, Mac and Windows based systems. Just install the daemon and connect with the iStat app to see a whole host of real time stats and graphs. Also shows iPhone stats including memory, CPU, network and storage.

Scanner Pro - The best non-OCR scanner app on the store. Fast, full featured and flexible! DropBox, Google Drive, Evernote and WebDav support along with a built in web server and iCloud syncing. You can also IAP faxing, which is a bit on the expensive side but not bad if you rarely fax things. (It's saved my rear end a few times when I was out and absolutely HAD to fax a contract right the gently caress now.)

iTeleport - Hands down the best VNC/RDP app out there.

Camera+ - Tons of camera enhancements in this app. Separate focal and exposure points, always on lighting option, gyroscope based leveling

While not a native iOS app, IFTTT is a service that pairs really well with smartphones in general. Here's a quick write-up and explanation courtesy of bazaar apparatus:

bazaar apparatus posted:

Essentially, IFTTT is tied into the APIs of about 60 websites and apps, which they refer to as 'channels'. Evernote is a channel, Dropbox is a channel, Twitter is a channel, RSS is a channel, etc.

Each channel has its own set of triggers and actions. An example trigger for RSS would be, "An article has been posted to [x]'s RSS feed." IFTTT can take this trigger and perform an action on another channel, such as Twitter. This whole process is called a 'recipe'; it's always comprised of one trigger channel and one action channel.

Here are some of my own recipes, just to give you an idea:

Whenever I post a new article to my blog, IFTTT automatically tweets that article from a dedicated Twitter account I've set up.
Whenever I post a photo on Instagram, IFTTT automatically saves it to a folder in Dropbox.
If I mark a Youtube or Vimeo video as "Watch Later", IFTTT saves it to my Instapaper account.

This is nowhere near the number of things you can do with it. Some people have IFTTT text them the weather each morning. Some people download all their Gmail attachments directly to Dropbox. Some people make it so that when they change their Facebook profile photo, it changes their Twitter photo as well. Some people schedule a text message to be sent to them while they're in a meeting so they have an excuse to leave.

The number of possibilities is crazy. Here are some of their most popular recipes if you need more ideas. The nice thing is that it's easy to directly add them to your own recipe list.

:siren: FAQ :siren:
Your list sucks. You call yourself an App afficianado? You bandwagoner.
Show me otherwise then - let me know if I missed an app you think truly deserves a spot up on the OP, and why. I know I've left out a lot of categories, so help a goon out.

Important Tidbits, Parting Words
Giving iTunes direct links to Apps is great and encouraged, but please give the title of the app and/or a description of what you're linking to for those of us that may not have iTunes on our work computers. Even better, use a service like AppShopper which is basically a mirror of the iTunes App Store. Not too much of an issue anymore since the iTunes Store has a web portal, but keep it in mind.

All App Store purchases will charge you tax based on where you live according to your iTunes account. Don't shed tears when your .99c purchase on the App Store ends up costing you 9c extra, you 1%er.

If you can, always try before you buy. If an app features a lite version for you to give a test run, there's really no harm in downloading that first in order to see what you could be buying into. This also applies to checking if an app is Universal, or designed with both iPhones/Touches and iPad (Mini) in mind. You can tell if an App is universal by the + sign on the price button in the App Store

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 14, 2014

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Replying from the old thread....

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Turn-by-turn doesn't look as good to me as Apple's Maps, though the voice is more intelligible than Siri's. The performance isn't as good Apple's vector stuff either.

Not sure I'll ever use Google Maps, but I guess it's nice to have an alternative in case Apple's maps data comes up short (it hasn't yet in my area). For those who wanted Google's map data or transmit support, though, this must be a godsend.

I think it looks much better. Apple maps turn-by-turn just looks like a brown wasteland.

Shame they haven't done roundabouts right. Does anybody know if it automatically goes into nightmode? Guess I'll find out for myself in a few hours.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is there a cheap/free calculator app that keeps lines of calculation history like a graphing calculator? And preferably starts up quickly. I don't really care either way about other fancy calculation features since I can do calculus and things on wolfram alpha.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is there a cheap/free calculator app that keeps lines of calculation history like a graphing calculator? And preferably starts up quickly. I don't really care either way about other fancy calculation features since I can do calculus and things on wolfram alpha.

Calcbot is probably what you're looking for (look at screenshot 3 for reference).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

Does anybody know if it automatically goes into nightmode? Guess I'll find out for myself in a few hours.
It didn't for me.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Pissflaps posted:

Replying from the old thread....

I think it looks much better. Apple maps turn-by-turn just looks like a brown wasteland.

Shame they haven't done roundabouts right. Does anybody know if it automatically goes into nightmode? Guess I'll find out for myself in a few hours.

Google Maps still seems to be struggling with legibility - the black text on satellite maps is way too hard to read.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
Some apps I like but didn't see in the OP (including a few plugs for my own site, hope no one minds):

Twitterrific 5 - Latest edition of the popular Twitter client that invented the idea of posts being called 'tweets' and I think they also were the first to use bird imagery in their icon. Anyway, this is the only client around right now that has me thinking about switching away from Tweetbot.

Drafts - Great app for quickly jotting down ideas in text form, and can be sent to any number of places like Evernote, Twitter, Dropbox, other text editor apps, Reminders, Clear, Fantastical, and a bunch more I'm forgetting. My review.

Clear - Awesome to-do list app. There are no buttons on-screen, everything is controlled by gestures, and it's very pretty.

Instacast - My favorite podcast manager, and I've tried them all, including Downcast and Pocket Casts.

Instapaper - I would find it hard to believe if anybody around here hasn't heard of Instapaper, but just in case, it's a service that allows you to save articles offline for reading later. It reformats them as well, making the reading experience so much better than if you were just viewing the article on its original website.

Hueless - Superb photography app that lets you shoot in monochrome. It's not just applying a black-and-white filter, it's the real deal. I wrote up a review with a bunch of example photos a while back.

Flickr - The latest update to this app is really nice. They took on some Instagram-like features (including optional filters) but it's still very much Flickr's thing and I like it a lot.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

bazaar apparatus posted:

Some apps I like but didn't see in the OP (including a few plugs for my own site, hope no one minds):

I'll add these when I'm at an actual computer, all good recommendations.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
A few more application suggestions, maybe:

Languages - This is a really cheap ($.99) offline translation application that also looks good.

Due - My favorite reminder app. It's $4.99, and not quite as creative as Clear, but really straight forward and cleanly designed. There's also a Mac app that syncs with it.

Check the Weather - My favorite weather app at the moment. It's fully featured and well-designed. It also has Dark Sky's short-term weather radar built into the app. ($1.99)

Recall - This is an app for jotting down movie, tv, and music (among other things) recommendations. ($2.99)

Squarespace Note - Really nicely designed, gesture driven note taking app. Syncs with Dropbox, Evernote, Squarespace, or other services. It's also free.

Launch Center Pro - This app is a bit hard to explain. It's sort of like a springboard inside of your springboard. You can create a ton of shortcuts for things like calling/texting/emailing a certain person or opening apps to perform certain actions. Disclaimer: I feel like this should be ridiculously useful, but I have a hard time remembering to use it. ($4.99)

Edit:
Handoff is a pretty useful app as well. It uses a browser extension to send pages from your Mac or PC to your iOS device.

Delivery Status - If you buy a lot of stuff online, Star Wars Sex Parrot pretty much demands that you buy and use this.

Articles - This is the universal version (an iPhone only version is available for $2.99), but this is the best (subjective) Wikipedia app for iOS out there. It just looks great.

maduin fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 13, 2012

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

bazaar apparatus posted:

Just want to chime in here and say clear is really great and totally worth the money.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 13, 2012

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

bazaar apparatus posted:

It really is fantastic. I've been using it instead of Tweetbot since it was released and I might actually stick with it.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

From the last thread:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

All right so I have my gmail account set as an exchange account (as shown here). However I just noticed my device is no longer sending to trash things I delete in my phone and is simply archiving poo poo instead. No biggie, I remember I need to enable that in http://m.google.com/sync (also shown on the earlier link).

Except that sync now just sends you to a generic page and the only gmail related content is essentially "download the gmail" app so I can't enable delete as trash anymore.

Anyone know of a fix?

I had this exact problem when I got my new iPhone 5 this week. You have to go to this url, then sign into Google as normal. Jerks must have changed it when they released the new GMail app. :argh:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Here are a few apps I dig, and thought I could share...

USB Disk - There's a free version and a great paid version with many perks. It's a great way to store documents/pictures/etc. in one place for easy access and review. I usually keep a few handy things on it, like various references and directions on my work phone, or some articles to read on my personal phone.

iconclock - A free clock app that looks like the classic Apple clock. It's neat and free.

Genius Scan - Scan and turn pictures into PDF documents (or JPGs). Free and paid versions.

White Noise - Best White Noise app I've found, and you can get additional paid/free noises. IT HAS FROGS, FROGS!

PaperKarma - Take a picture of your junk mail, submit it, and you'll never get that crap in the mail again. Free.

Red fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 13, 2012

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
If anyone reads the OP after about a week my mind will be completely blown.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have an app on my iPad that I wanted to put on my new iPhone but apparently it was pulled from the app store and isn't coming back. Is there a way to move the app from my iPad to my iPhone?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Sync with iTunes?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

FCKGW posted:

I have an app on my iPad that I wanted to put on my new iPhone but apparently it was pulled from the app store and isn't coming back. Is there a way to move the app from my iPad to my iPhone?

Are you sure it's an app that's not iPad only?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

bazaar apparatus posted:

Tried it out when it relaunched and I really like it. Streaming, Push and Trends are needed before I consider using it as my daily driver though.

bazaar apparatus posted:

Thanks for recommending this. Your taste and blog are once again fantastic.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Is there really no way to change which sounds third-party apps use for notifications? One of my games uses the same tone as texts, and I'd like to keep the sound notification but not if I think I have a new text every time.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Tried it out when it relaunched and I really like it. Streaming, Push and Trends are needed before I consider using it as my daily driver though.

Thanks for recommending this. Your taste and blog are once again fantastic.

From what I've heard, the developers specifically left out options like these because they intended it to be more of a casual Twitter experience rather than one for Power Users™. They were trying to make a statement that software should be opinionated, not just a list of all the same features as [x app]. I kinda like them for that.

But thank you for the compliment on my blog. I've been working hard on it :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Red posted:

Are you sure it's an app that's not iPad only?

No, the developer said the app was pulled.

Wario In Real Life posted:

Sync with iTunes?

I've never had a reason to sync the iPad to iTunes so that will probably work. Thanks.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
I have a question about Delivery Status Touch: You have to manually add tracking numbers, right? I'm assuming there's not some master Amazon API or something that would allow things to be added immediately when you order them..

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Legs Benedict posted:

I have a question about Delivery Status Touch: You have to manually add tracking numbers, right? I'm assuming there's not some master Amazon API or something that would allow things to be added immediately when you order them..
Nope, but merely opening the app with a tracking number in your clipboard will prompt you to add it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

1Password 4 is out, $7.99.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

bazaar apparatus posted:

From what I've heard, the developers specifically left out options like these because they intended it to be more of a casual Twitter experience rather than one for Power Users™. They were trying to make a statement that software should be opinionated, not just a list of all the same features as [x app]. I kinda like them for that.

But thank you for the compliment on my blog. I've been working hard on it :)

I can respect them for that and it's certainly my go-to when I just want something quick and interesting to do for two minutes but Trends are kind of a fundamental part of Twitter, even if the majority are poo poo. Streaming wouldn't go amiss but I can live without push. The auto dark mode is great as are the animations and font. I certainly don't regret purchasing it.

No problem :)

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Nope, but merely opening the app with a tracking number in your clipboard will prompt you to add it.

Whoaaaa poo poo. I am totally reinstalling it then. Thanks!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've been interested in starting to use one of these services. Do you have to pay a fee to start using this before the app? Then do you have to buy the app for each computer you use too (or at least a Mac license and a PC license)?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

IUG posted:

I've been interested in starting to use one of these services. Do you have to pay a fee to start using this before the app? Then do you have to buy the app for each computer you use too (or at least a Mac license and a PC license)?

There's no overall fee to use the service, but you will have to pay for licenses to use each version (iOS, Mac, PC). It's not cheap but it's been worth every penny I've spent so far.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I don't like the idea of paying fat money for a bunch of password clients when stuff like KeePass is on every platform already (and for the average cost of $0).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

IUG posted:

https://agilebits.com/store

Mac/PC licence is pretty pricey. I use LastPass personally.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

There's no overall fee to use the service, but you will have to pay for licenses to use each version (iOS, Mac, PC). It's not cheap but it's been worth every penny I've spent so far.

I can't find it on their site, but is the Windows/Mac key good for one computer each? I have a Mac Laptop, and a Windows 7 computer at home and a Windows 7 computer at work. I would love to use this, but if that means 3 keys instead of 2, I might have to shy away.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

IUG posted:

I can't find it on their site, but is the Windows/Mac key good for one computer each? I have a Mac Laptop, and a Windows 7 computer at home and a Windows 7 computer at work. I would love to use this, but if that means 3 keys instead of 2, I might have to shy away.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/how_many_licenses.html

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sounds good, thanks for all the advice everyone. They're more clear on this working for multiple Macs since it's through the iTunes store, but wanted to make sure. I figure with a dual OS license and the iPhone app, I should be fully covered. Might as well not half-rear end it.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Weather

Dark Sky - Amazing weather app that will send you a push notification a few minutes before it starts raining in your exact location. It's actually really accurate; I don't think it's ever missed for me.

Partly Cloudy - Really unique forecast app that displays temperature and precipitation forecasts by rotating a dial.

RadarScope - This is the de facto weather radar app. Easy to use, full featured and fast.

Social

Avocado - This is like Facebook for you and YOUR GIRLFRIEND. Share pictures, texts, lists, appointments and even hugs and kisses with your SO in this slick little app.

Tapatalk - Forum browser that supports a ton of phpBB and vBulletin based sites.

Misc.

iStat - New version 2.0! Remote monitoring app for Linux, Mac and Windows based systems. Just install the daemon and connect with the iStat app to see a whole host of real time stats and graphs. Also shows iPhone stats including memory, CPU, network and storage.

Scanner Pro - The best non-OCR scanner app on the store. Fast, full featured and flexible! DropBox, Google Drive, Evernote and WebDav support along with a built in web server and iCloud syncing. You can also IAP faxing, which is a bit on the expensive side but not bad if you rarely fax things. (It's saved my rear end a few times when I was out and absolutely HAD to fax a contract right the gently caress now.)

iTeleport - Hands down the best VNC/RDP app out there.

Camera+ - Tons of camera enhancements in this app. Separate focal and exposure points, always on lighting option, gyroscope based leveling

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

If anyone reads the OP after about a week my mind will be completely blown.

I'd like to think it'd outlive that, but I understand if it doesn't. I'll be doing my best to update it prior to Christmas though, since I figure that's when the iTunes gift cards and iDevices will land in the hands of a many.

OP updated. For the time being I've just inserted quoted people with good app recommendations in the OP, if anyone has a better idea of how to represent your recommendations I'm all ears. My plan is to monitor the thread, and if any particular app recommended by someone gets a lot of praise, I'll move it into the general recommendations section.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

timb posted:

I used to use Camera+ exclusively for all my iPhone picture taking needs until I got Snapseed on sale one day.

I haven't used Camera+ since.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I used to use Camera+ exclusively for all my iPhone picture taking needs until I got Snapseed on sale one day.

I haven't used Camera+ since.

Snapseed and Camera+ are completely different types of applications though.

Camera+ is great for actually taking pictures. It allows you to set separate exposure and focus points quickly and easily, it has a bar in the center that tilts via the gyroscope to let you know when you're level, it's also got a flash function that keeps the LED on constantly providing constant foreground illumination. In addition to all this it does have post processing tools, but they're nowhere near as good as Snapseed.

I shoot in Camera+ and edit in Snapseed or iPhoto.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

bazaar apparatus posted:

Is the new version of this worth purchasing? I was really bothered to see that the new version is a new $5 app. Somehow, I doubt that the new version will have better performance on my aging iPhone 4 :I

They also took the old version off the app store, so to redownload it I have to hunt through my ridiculously long "Purchased" list :argh:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Facebook has been updated. Boasts a rebuilt timeline and the ability to add photos into an album when uploading.

If you'd have told me this time last year the IOS Facebook app would ever be good I'd have laughed but it's really rather great since the last few updates.

• Locked thread