Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Localhobo4u
Dec 10, 2012

Abel Wingnut posted:

Is there anyway to have Netflix play episodes of TV shows without quitting out to the Netflix menu?

Not that I have seen.

I am very excited at the rumours of apps for the ATV. iOS apps on it and bluetooth keyboard and mouse support would be awsome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Localhobo4u posted:

Not that I have seen.

I am very excited at the rumours of apps for the ATV. iOS apps on it and bluetooth keyboard and mouse support would be awsome.

This confused me because I didn't think the ATV had bluetooth so I googled it and I had no idea bluetooth was the kind of thing you could enable in a firmware update.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

FishBulb posted:

This confused me because I didn't think the ATV had bluetooth so I googled it and I had no idea bluetooth was the kind of thing you could enable in a firmware update.
Well, only if the hardware were already there. It would be like shipping something with the Wi-Fi turned off, then you "enable" it via a software update.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
9 to 5 mac says that in the lastest apple tv beta, bluetooth keyboard support is there.

Finally.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/12/08/apples-upcoming-ios-update-to-unlock-full-bluetooth-keyboard-control-for-apple-tv/

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

mediaphage posted:

Well, only if the hardware were already there. It would be like shipping something with the Wi-Fi turned off, then you "enable" it via a software update.

Yeah obviously I just never realized the hardware was there because why would it be and not be turned on?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

FishBulb posted:

Yeah obviously I just never realized the hardware was there because why would it be and not be turned on?

Probably because the Wifi chipset they used in the Apple TV has bluetooth built into the same chip.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I don't think he's asking why it's there physically and more why is it there and not in use at all.

Which is, sometimes manufacturers love doing this kind of stuff! That is having capabilities that are never enabled.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Localhobo4u posted:

I kind of feel like, considering how the AppleTV is set up right now, they need to stay away from the idea of siloed iOS-style apps for most video content. We've got access to Hulu, Netflix, and iTunes, and you basically have to search each one of them individually to find out if they have any particular thing available to watch. (And add one more source if you've ripped DVDs and have them in a computer's iTunes library.) Adding more generic TV/movie apps like Amazon Instant Video or Vudu or whatever network-specific is only going to make it worse.

Ideally, they figure out some way to make it so that when you hit TV shows it just looks through all the sources of content you have configured, and shows you a big list of TV shows with various sorting and search features for all of it. The current system is basically set up to funnel you into buying things from iTunes, and treats the other apps as second-class citizens. The seams are really going to show if they open the floodgates.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

cbirdsong posted:

I kind of feel like, considering how the AppleTV is set up right now, they need to stay away from the idea of siloed iOS-style apps for most video content. We've got access to Hulu, Netflix, and iTunes, and you basically have to search each one of them individually to find out if they have any particular thing available to watch. (And add one more source if you've ripped DVDs and have them in a computer's iTunes library.) Adding more generic TV/movie apps like Amazon Instant Video or Vudu or whatever network-specific is only going to make it worse.

Ideally, they figure out some way to make it so that when you hit TV shows it just looks through all the sources of content you have configured, and shows you a big list of TV shows with various sorting and search features for all of it. The current system is basically set up to funnel you into buying things from iTunes, and treats the other apps as second-class citizens. The seams are really going to show if they open the floodgates.

I agree this would be best but I would be willing to sort through all the bullshit if we ever got Amazon Instant.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

Ideally, they figure out some way to make it so that when you hit TV shows it just looks through all the sources of content you have configured, and shows you a big list of TV shows with various sorting and search features for all of it. .

I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the things they're working on if they get the deals with content guys that they're planning. Spending $10-50/month on services for all your media, using siri to call whatever you want to be loaded, whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Tim Cook said himself that TV is the one thing no one has invented on in a really long time and they are quite seriously looking into it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Tim Cook said himself that TV is the one thing no one has invented on in a really long time and they are quite seriously looking into it.

They've been working on it for quite some time but the issue is always the content providers (studios, networks, etc). They want to keep their channels alive through bundles and also want their cut.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Sometimes it's a licensing thing.

Though honestly I dunno why bt keyboard support is such a big deal. It's handy, yes, but I bet most (not all, of course) people have an iOS device which can act as a wi-fi keyboard for the aTV.

Anyway, sometimes companies leave things unenabled to avoid paying licensing fees. Sometimes they do it as a future-proofing measure.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

Sometimes it's a licensing thing.

Though honestly I dunno why bt keyboard support is such a big deal. It's handy, yes, but I bet most (not all, of course) people have an iOS device which can act as a wi-fi keyboard for the aTV.

Anyway, sometimes companies leave things unenabled to avoid paying licensing fees. Sometimes they do it as a future-proofing measure.

There's a lot of speculation about the addition of apps due to some menu options that turned up in the beta. If it's only keyboard support I'm not that worried as the remote app on iOS does the same thing. I don't see that as a big deal. Adding ATV specific apps would be a whole other interesting thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If they do apps for it I really hope they get an AirVideo app out fast.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Devian666 posted:

There's a lot of speculation about the addition of apps due to some menu options that turned up in the beta. If it's only keyboard support I'm not that worried as the remote app on iOS does the same thing. I don't see that as a big deal. Adding ATV specific apps would be a whole other interesting thing.
Even then.

Anyway, there have been rumors of apps since the aTV started using the A* processors. I'd be damned excited if they finally did it (haha Google TV wouldn't stand a chance) but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Really would like to see an Amazon instant and BBC iPlayer apps, tho.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'm not getting my hopes up either as I'm just expecting keyboard support only.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They just need to jailbreak the v3 so it can be useful to anyone who doesnt buy into using everything in itunes.

I know there is ways around it but I want to have a seamless experience rather than incorporating another device into the mix to stream things from a computer on the same network.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Did streaming music from "Computers" get all buggy after the latest iTunes update? I just replaced my old D Link router with an Apple Airport extreme (ethernet connection), expecting my ATV performance to improve drastically, but now my connection with the library keeps cutting out during playback.

EDIT: I think I may have figured it out. When I set up the new Apple Router, the new network was classified by Windows 7 as public. I changed it to "Home" and immediately started hearing music out of my ATV again.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 12, 2012

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Laserface posted:

They just need to jailbreak the v3 so it can be useful to anyone who doesnt buy into using everything in itunes.

I know there is ways around it but I want to have a seamless experience rather than incorporating another device into the mix to stream things from a computer on the same network.

If you don't want to use iTunes why not buy one of the 40 other set top boxes that can stream things? I'm just honestly curious not trying to be snarky.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

FishBulb posted:

If you don't want to use iTunes why not buy one of the 40 other set top boxes that can stream things? I'm just honestly curious not trying to be snarky.

I can't speak for that guy, but I bought the AppleTV pretty much exclusively for AirPlay which none of the other set top boxes do (as far as I know anyway). I've ended up renting one or two movies from iTunes, but I'd probably use Amazon if that were available since they often seem a little cheaper for the same movie.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

choobs posted:

I can't speak for that guy, but I bought the AppleTV pretty much exclusively for AirPlay which none of the other set top boxes do (as far as I know anyway). I've ended up renting one or two movies from iTunes, but I'd probably use Amazon if that were available since they often seem a little cheaper for the same movie.
Same here.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FishBulb posted:

For the ATV2, because of XBMC for half the cost of a boxee box.
For the ATV3, once XBMC is on it, same reasoning.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

FishBulb posted:

I have a boxee box already, but its not as stable as I would like it to be. definitely plays everything I throw at it, but the extra features like airplay and web browsing are lacking (which airplay mirroring from ipad would fix)

choobs posted:

Boxee box does, but incredibly poorly. no mirroring, just video/audio. Every now and then if you do a bad exit from a youtube clip, the next one is at 500% volume.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Any idea what the latest Update brought, if anything? I just updated but there's no patch notes or anything...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mex posted:

Any idea what the latest Update brought, if anything? I just updated but there's no patch notes or anything...
iTunes 11 compatibility.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone else had issues with random restarts, mainly during podcast or iTunes Match playback? ATV 2 on 5.0.2 (jailbroken). Hopefully a fixed issue by 5.1.1 but I've been waiting for XBMC Frodo to go completely stable before I move all my machines up to it as I'm running a MySQL database on the server.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have updated both my Apple TV and iTunes to the latest updates. Now Airplay works for my iPhone great, but I cannot get my PC and Apple TV to see each other anymore. I have signed in and out, turn on & off home sharing on both, and still no luck. I am banging my head against the wall right now.

Edit: Jesus Christ I am stupid. I will leave this here as a lesson. Make sure your laptop is not connected to your guest network on your Airport Extreme when trying to do home sharing. Almost 2 hours wasted.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 15, 2012

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I have updated both my Apple TV and iTunes to the latest updates. Now Airplay works for my iPhone great, but I cannot get my PC and Apple TV to see each other anymore. I have signed in and out, turn on & off home sharing on both, and still no luck. I am banging my head against the wall right now.

Edit: Jesus Christ I am stupid. I will leave this here as a lesson. Make sure your laptop is not connected to your guest network on your Airport Extreme when trying to do home sharing. Almost 2 hours wasted.

I have done this before and it's quite a roller coaster of emotion isn't it? From "gently caress you Apple and your piece of poo poo software" to "I am an idiot".

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.
I could've sworn that Future Shop was going to have a sale on Apple TVs tomorrow but I can't find references to it anywhere. Am I going nuts or has Futurama effectively predicted the age of advertising in dreams? :psyduck:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Stephen Harper posted:

I could've sworn that Future Shop was going to have a sale on Apple TVs tomorrow but I can't find references to it anywhere. Am I going nuts or has Futurama effectively predicted the age of advertising in dreams? :psyduck:

Nope they're supposed to be $79.

ogreboy
Apr 1, 2003
Staples too, I believe, both in store and online.

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.
Awesome, glad to hear

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

Anyone having issues connecting their AppleTV to their iTunes Home Share since going to iTunes 11?

Legdiian posted:

Yes. Just had this issue at a clients house. Have not fixed it yet. Using an AppleTV 3 and iTunes 11 running on an iMac with Mountain Lion.

I just appeared to find a fix for this (for anyone who is still suffering this issue). Upgrading to iTunes 11.0.1 and the newest AppleTV update didn't help.

Turn off IPv6 (in Windows search for 'View Network Connections, Properties, and uncheck the IPv6 box) in your settings and reboot. My iTunes immediately saw my AppleTV was there.

skattered
Oct 5, 2005

Too many lies!
Too many lies!
What do you guys think of Chip Group announcing that an untethered aTV3 jailbreak will be released before the end of the year?

http://www.sfgate.com/business/prweb/article/ATV3-Chip-Group-To-Reveal-Untethered-Apple-TV-3-4139098.php

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

skattered posted:

What do you guys think of Chip Group announcing that an untethered aTV3 jailbreak will be released before the end of the year?

http://www.sfgate.com/business/prweb/article/ATV3-Chip-Group-To-Reveal-Untethered-Apple-TV-3-4139098.php

Seems like groups announce stuff like this every week to draw traffic to their websites.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

skattered posted:

Is it a press release? Ignore it. Hacking groups don't use PRWeb.

Edit: it's the same drat website that is posting press releases every week. Please stop linking to this crap.

skattered
Oct 5, 2005

Too many lies!
Too many lies!

FCKGW posted:

Is it a press release? Ignore it. Hacking groups don't use PRWeb.

Edit: it's the same drat website that is posting press releases every week. Please stop linking to this crap.

Had no idea, which is why I asked. Pull the stick out.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Edit: Not worth it.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any way to lower the quality of YouTube videos? It seems like it uses 1080p versions on the ATV3 if they exist and our DSL connection can't keep up with it. For iTunes stuff you can lower the quality but can't find same for YouTube. So after I hit play it may take 15 minutes to buffer enough to play smoothly. Terrible.

I end up streaming stuff from my phone since it is much better at choosing an appropriate bitrate.

• Locked thread