Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Don't toy with my heart, you bastard. Arino playing Whirlo would be the best thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

I had to Google this only to find out that it's Xandra. I had no idea Xandra was released in English! Only in PAL though? No wonder I've never seen it.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Di..did Bebop, Rocksteady and Shredder just go Super Saiyan there?

Clearly, I grew up watching the wrong Ninja Turtles...

e: Also, if I might add:

:stare:

Dog Toggle Switch fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 13, 2012

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Silentman0 posted:

Was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles popular in Japan?

Japan never had any exposure to the comics / cartoon / toys / anything else when the Famicom game was released, so it wasn't even released as a TMNT game, but "Fierce Ninja Turtle Legend". Every game after the first one was released under the TMNT name.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!
Oh man, if he challenges the first Turtles game, I'm calling that he never makes it into the technodrome. Hell, I could barely make it to the airport level. That game was just sadistic.

Though the clue was a green protagonist, not protagonists. So shot in the dark, but maybe Snake, Rattle and Roll? I think the snake was green. Or maybe red.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh god, I hope it's Yoshi's Island (or that timeless classic, Greendog The Beached Surfer Dude).

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It's gonna be Boogerman.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's obviously Wagyan Land 2.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Bad Endings, Bad Endings everywhere.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I'm going out on a limb and betting it will be Mario is Missing or Luigi's Mansion since you play as Luigi in both games. Other than that, it will either be one of the TMNT games or Yoshi's Island unless there's some Japan only game I've never heard of that stars a green character.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe by "green" they also mean "environmentally conscious" and they're gonna play Mick and Mack: Global Gladiators.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

You're all wrong. Arino finally gets to play more of Hirokatsu.

Nicias
Jun 18, 2004
That bit always made me laugh more than it should've.

Hirokatsu JUMP!
Hirokatsu PANCH!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Bubble Bobble. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Muffinlord posted:

It's gonna be Boogerman.

I really want to hear Arino exclaiming "Boogah~" now in imitation of the game.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

Holy crap. I did not know about this. That is amazing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Obeast posted:

I'm going out on a limb and betting it will be Mario is Missing or Luigi's Mansion since you play as Luigi in both games.
Couldn't be Mario is Missing, edutainment games don't really strike me as a GCCX kind of thing. Not to mention I'm pretty sure it's actually an American game. A very American game, the kind that probably never even got a PAL version. Luigi's Mansion, on the other hand, way too recent.

He's gonna play Battletoads & Double Dragon :colbert:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The White Dragon posted:

A very American game, the kind that probably never even got a PAL version.

Metal Wolf Chaos?

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
It's going to be Halo. The Chief is going to be the Chief.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Circle Nine posted:

It's going to be Halo. The Chief is going to be the Chief.

If it had Master Kachou imitating the WORT WORT of the Elites whilst playing in a full suit of Halo armor, I would actually be for this 100%. Maybe when he's 60.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Woozy posted:

Is Legacy of the Wizard as awesome as this show made it look? It looks like 8-bit SotN and that owns.

It's nowhere near that good. I had a copy growing up and even though I thought it was a cool theme at the time, it took me forever to finally reach the end of it. Nowadays it's not so bad since we have this thing called the internet, but back then... god, I always had no idea where to go. I'd just sort of wander around a lot, not really sure if I was going a path that was meant to be done with the current family member. I'm sure I called the Nintendo Power Hotline on this one.

When I discovered NES emulation, I tried playing it again just for the heck of it but found it really hadn't aged that well for me at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The closest game to SOTN from that period would probably be Maze of Galious, a Konami game for MSX2 that served as the primary inspiration for La-Mulana.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

quote:

8-bit SotN

Oh, you mean Metroid? *wonk wonk wonnnnk*

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
If the PaRappa challenge is the second fastest completion, what is the first and how long did it take?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The fastest clear was 2 Hours, 10 minutes for a game called Saigo no Nindou: Ninja Spirit.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Since they cleared PaRappa so quickly, they should have gone for finishing every level with "Cool" which unlocks this thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6LZCyfW_W0

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Arino being told about Retro Game Master being ranked #1 on Amazon under TV Game Shows.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

zari-gani posted:

Arino being told about Retro Game Master being ranked #1 on Amazon under TV Game Shows.

That is really awesome. Did he seem surprised by how well it did? :)

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Obeast posted:

That is really awesome. Did he seem surprised by how well it did? :)

He just laughed at the fact that there's such a category on Amazon and that they even found out about the first place ranking.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Not that anyone probably still cares, but here's a fairly exhaustive article regarding TMNT in japan: http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2010/03/confusing-history-of-tmnt-in-japan.html

If you click around on his site, you can also find out that there were multiple TMNT manga series, and the owner of that site has been translating them (and I've been doing the cleanup/bubbles). So yes, you can get even more TMNT anime (-related content), if you want. Here's the link to that stuff: http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2009/05/tmnt-manga.html

Chapter 4 of TMNT Gaiden is actually massively racist regarding Japan, even though it was made by a Japanese person. But it was all pretty much there just to set up a joke.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
For those who want to see the raw of GCCX #151(Mansion of Hidden Souls).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPFIvGBuaZM

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

zari-gani posted:

He just laughed at the fact that there's such a category on Amazon and that they even found out about the first place ranking.

I wonder if he gets that it means shows like Jeopardy and The Price is Right, not literally NUMBER ONE FOR MAKING TV GAME

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Woozy posted:

Is Legacy of the Wizard as awesome as this show made it look? It looks like 8-bit SotN and that owns.

Yes, it is amazing for its time. Like others have already mentioned, it's obtuse and confusing and it's possible to get stuck, with no other option other than resetting the game (hope you got the password before entering the labyrinth! :v:) I would say most of its failings are due to NES era games generally being clunky in execution due to technology and game design still taking its baby steps. Legacy is a huge and ambitious game and it's a pity I never played it back then. My kid self would have played it to bits.

So I picked it up earlier this year, and with the aid of internet it's a lot of fun.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Do they know you were involved with it?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

zari-gani posted:

"What is this.... controller device I'm holding.....?"

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

joek0 posted:

For those who want to see the raw of GCCX #151(Mansion of Hidden Souls).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPFIvGBuaZM
I didn't watch the rest of the episode, so I dunno if we see it again, but I got a little :unsmith: seeing Arino put the DVD set in front of the snacks.

Mister Chief posted:

IIRC, Kan was the one who asked Zari to do the retranslations and translate the non-Kotaku episodes after he asked her to draw the 40th birthday poster. I dunno if Arino or anyone else knows...

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

The guy from Discotek asked me to re-translate after seeing my art on the USA special. I then e-mailed and thanked Kan for putting my art in that episode explaining that it's what landed me the job, so yes, Gascoin Company knows at least.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jyrque posted:

Legacy is a huge and ambitious game and it's a pity I never played it back then. My kid self would have played it to bits.

See, the thing about Legacy of the Wizard is that if you didn't own it as a kid, you'd imagine you would've played it and played and it played it, slowly progressing until you finally conquered it...

... but those of us who did have it as a kid know that the only thing you really do is play as Pochi until you got bored.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

See, the thing about Legacy of the Wizard is that if you didn't own it as a kid, you'd imagine you would've played it and played and it played it, slowly progressing until you finally conquered it...

... but those of us who did have it as a kid know that the only thing you really do is play as Pochi until you got bored.

INCORRECT! ...you play as Lyll and just jump around to the cool music.

Actually, when I was a kid, my mom would take me over to her friend's house. That friend's husband had an NES and freaking LOVED those labyrinthine, confusing, difficult games. I used to watch him play all the time. I remember in his notebook of passwords--though he memorized the Metroid map!--he made his own pencil map for LotW. I might mention that is no small feat:

So hey, now that's how I play older games, maps and all (and lord knows Clash At Demonhead would be infinitely harder and less rewarding if I didn't). I guess it built that tolerance for figuring stuff out and such. And I loved that episode because I hadn't actually seen the game in over a decade. It was a HUUUUGE rush of nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

INCORRECT! ...you play as Lyll and just jump around to the cool music.

The best part about Pochi is that you can get into Lyll and the mom's areas and still hear their music while ignoring damage :colbert: