Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
So, this is a bit off from the current discussion, but back to Hinata walking in the door. He was obviously outside the room, right? Shouldn't that mean he saw the beach outside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Seeing as how neither he or anyone watching him come in mentioned "Hey why is there a beach outside the door?" I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that Usami included a fake hallway outside the fake room.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeah, as interesting as that idea is that these are Togami and Naegi from the last game, I don't think that's it. Naegi isn't here, and as for Togami, I'm banking on an "alternate" Togami. Maybe a parallel universe Togami, style of thing.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rawkking posted:

Now I wonder if they are going to have sections of the island fenced off to be revealed later, or if not what they are going to do to help each chapter have a sense of discovery that in the same way that DR1 did.

Inexplicable bipolarbears and roving smoke monsters keep the students from exploring the off limits parts of the island.

Mitt Romulan
Oct 19, 2012
Has anyone commented on the striking visual resemblance between Hanamura and Usami? If so, what was the conclusion?

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Treuan posted:

So, this is a bit off from the current discussion, but back to Hinata walking in the door. He was obviously outside the room, right? Shouldn't that mean he saw the beach outside?

Considering the sort-of-conceit with the digital effects:

I'm thinking, no, Hinata did not see the beach, and him 'entering' the room is much less a physical activity and more of a metaphorical one.

Honestly, while slowbeef was quashing the computer simulation speculation, it's very apparent that we are further from reality than last game in some respect.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

likecnsnnts posted:

Honestly, while slowbeef was quashing the computer simulation speculation, it's very apparent that we are further from reality than last game in some respect.

We'll need to see more evidence before we can come to any solid conclusions, but the computer simulation really does strike me as the most likely theory right now. It's possible that the computer imagery we saw in the opening was purely an aesthetic choice, but the first game didn't really have the same motif anywhere (outside of 8-bit Monobear dragging the culprit off post-trials) and it just doesn't seem like DR's style to pull that in without it being somehow tied to the story.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Lamhirh posted:

We've barely seen any interactions so I'm basing this off of very little, but I don't think that Togami and Naegi[to] are completely mind-wiped the same way they were before the first game. Their memory is clearly foggy, but they're showing the character growth from the first game. Togami is like you said, he would never have asked about everyone's memories at the start of the first game. Naegi is acting like Kirigiri. They seem much more composed overall, neither was shocked by Usami's appearance, and Naegi jumped to conclusions with the "you're going to force us to kill each other!?" line.

They might just be trying to avoid drawing suspicion and are saving the "Hey buddy, doesn't this remind you of that time last year?" until they're alone.

I'm really interested in how "Nagito" will be introduced, once it gets to the introductions. He can't exactly call himself Super High-school Level Hope right off the bat, especially since that's Usami's spiel. But he doesn't seem like a completely average guy selected by lottery anymore. Will be interesting if he claims to have a specialty now, especially if it's as a detective.

I liked it. :v:

I think Nagito is just a film buff who has seen Battle Royale. :haw:

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

Spatula City posted:

I think Nagito is just a film buff who has seen Battle Royale. :haw:

Or read the book.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Oh man I had kept putting off finishing reading the first but when I heard the second LP was up I blazed through it. I have to admit I did miss speculating.

Treuan posted:

I got the impression Togami meant more of "Hey come over here instead of lingering by the door." None of them remember entering the room, so I think Hinata was the last one in and was near the (closed) dooor.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Hmm. I may yet be jumping to conclusions based off having very little data, but I think that Blondie York Morgan has some sort of connection to Togami. His first line was insulting Togami's weight. His design is very similar yet contrasts to Togami's rather strongly. His hair is the same color. He reacts to Usami and the field trip nearly the same way.

orenronen posted:

What do you mean, "forget all about it", you bastard?!

Oy. Who are you? What are you scheming?

They may be cousins, or their families are business rivals or something, or their SHSL traits are similar.

Or I'm completely insane and jumping the gun before we really get to know Kuzuryuu.

Akett fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 14, 2012

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Akett posted:

They may be cousins, or their families are business rivals or something, or their SHSL traits are similar.

Y'know, since we're getting reversals from DN1, one of the big things about DN1 is that everybody is strangers (or at least thinks they are). 'Everybody has history together' would be a pretty decent reversal.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
The idea I had about Togami gaining weight is that he did it because food is so scarce in Monoworld. If he were to travel between small pockets of Hope around the world, he would probably eat as much as possible whenever he could (and no one would be able to object because of his gigantic ego). For all we know, he may be fluctuating between obesity and weight deficiency pretty often, and the game just happened to catch him in the Fatogami phase. This theory has its downsides (where does he get all this food to eat if it's so scarce?), but the overall idea of eating to survive still stands.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BTA
Sep 30, 2012
You know, if you really want to go with the whole computer simulation and this group of kids being the results of the previous group's traits getting mixed together theory, couldn't this Togami just be a mix of the previous Togami and Yamada?

And as far as DR0 goes, I personally believe that the student being referred to is Junko. I mean, she obviously did something bad in the first chapter, and if she got caught doing, it'd make sense in a sick way to want to acknowledge that she's just using her talent. The reference to the "parade" is interesting, though. That could either be outside protesters, which would raise the question of what exactly the school is doing that they disagree with, or a group of students who are starting to harshly disagree with the faculty. I'm not sure what I personally believe on that front though, at least without another chapter or two to clear things up a bit.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

SingerOfW posted:

The idea I had about Togami gaining weight is that he did it because food is so scarce in Monoworld. If he were to travel between small pockets of Hope around the world, he would probably eat as much as possible whenever he could (and no one would be able to object because of his gigantic ego). For all we know, he may be fluctuating between obesity and weight deficiency pretty often, and the game just happened to catch him in the Fatogami phase. This theory has its downsides (where does he get all this food to eat if it's so scarce?), but the overall idea of eating to survive still stands.

Humans aren't exactly camels. Even getting really fat would only keep you going an extra couple of days, tops, IIRC. (Sciencegoons feel free to correct me on this)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, the only thing you're storing in fat is calories, energy. You need a lot more than energy from food.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Ratoslov posted:

Y'know, since we're getting reversals from DN1, one of the big things about DN1 is that everybody is strangers (or at least thinks they are). 'Everybody has history together' would be a pretty decent reversal.
You mean except for Naegi and Maizono?

Not sure if I'd consider the fact that they were strangers before entering Hope's Peak a "big thing." It was just something that ended up happening. We can't guess plot elements of this game by just reversing every plot element from the last one. Especially since it wasn't even true with the first one, because Naegi and Maizono.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Between her name and the hair/horns on her head Ibuki Mioda appears to be a reference to Ibuki Suika from the insanely popular Touhou series.

Her last name doesn't seem to mean or reference anything and googling it only brings up spoilers for the game.

The music so far has been a lot darker than in the first game. Though I do love the spanish-y guitar bit in Usami's theme.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 14, 2012

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah, the only thing you're storing in fat is calories, energy. You need a lot more than energy from food.

Well, sorta. You'll have to worry about malnutrition (lack of nutrients) rather than malnourishment (lack of calories), which is less of a thing to worry about. And you'd need to bring ample water with you because dehydration will kill you fastest because we aren't built like camels. With some sort of minimal diet and sufficient water you'd definitely be able to keep going longer than someone who is bone thin, though your bones (including teeth) and muscles will be degraded along with your fat through starvation so it's hardly a healthy strategy :eng101:

There's also all kinds of terrible conditions you can get from various sorts of malnutrition, most of you have probably heard of sailors suffering from scurvy due to lack of vitamin C. Better than being dead though!

It's a pretty silly scheme as opposed to just taking the food with you, though perhaps just silly enough for Dangan Ronpa. Still think his weight is due to some other reason.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 14, 2012

ShallowKnave
Sep 9, 2011
Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

Let's assume that one of the students, being SHSL-Talented in something that could be downright nasty (Biologist makes super virus, Physicist makes world-cracking bomb etc.), the Board tries to cover it up, and botches it.

I'm guessing this goes further than the Board. Remember that graduates of Hope's Peak end up in high-level, popular positions all over the place. Imagine that each of these individuals has a very personal stake in ensuring the continued reputation of the school. Now think about what happens if the Despair Group were to let the common citizenry know about the Super High School Level coverup perpetrated by top politicians and celebrities who embody the very concept of Hope.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Okay, do we even know for sure based on what little we know that Nagito is Naegi? It seems a bit crazy to be making wild speculations like this just because of Nagito's name being an anagram. I mean, yes, it can very much an implication of him being Naegi, but the thing is his appearance is drastically different from Naegi's while remaining very similar, which leads me to believe his name and appearance are meant to invoke the thought of Naegi more than they're meant to actually say "HEY IT'S NAEGI." I could end up being drastically wrong about it, but I do think everybody's kinda jumping to conclusions with what little we actually have to go on here.

I wouldn't bring this up if it weren't for people acting like it's a foregone conclusion and treating the character as if he is Naegi from the START OF THE GAME.

As far as I can tell, they both share the same voice actor. Whether it is, as you said, something intentionally done to confuse the fans or whether it means something (a la the thread confusion over Byakuya Togami) remains to be seen.

Though, to be fair, the anagram in Nagito's name literally means "It's Makoto Naegi" so I wouldn't be too hard on people working off that assumption.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The only conclusion we can safely reach about the existence of Fat Togami is that this game is not taking place at the exact same time as the first game. The key to understanding what exactly is going on lies with him, though.

I don't like the computer simulation theory (or any variation of "they're clones") because it seems like it would undermine the "all deaths are final" thing that's important for making the audience care what happens.

"It's Makoto Naegi" seems far too blatant to be taken at face value. I'm not even going to assume he's important, He's just as likely to be a red herring to get the player focused on him and less on everyone else.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Sound of waves splashing.

Hey...
Can you hear me...?

Hey, are you alright?
...You sure look exhausted.
I am too, you know. We all are.
I mean... with all the crazy stuff that happened...
...Hey, are you listening?

Beautiful Ruin [Summer Salt]

You... are OK, right?
...I...
...Just... Leave me alone.
Oh, I couldn’t possibly leave someone who looks as sick as you alone.

Golden sand... Blue sea...
Strong, bright sunlight blazing down...

And a gentle sea breeze caressing my skin...

I have no idea what's going on.
I was supposed to be at Hope's Peak Academy. So why...

Why am I here?

That... thing said we're on a southern island, didn't it?

...Yeah, that's right.

What the hell happened? I... have no idea.

That's the one and only thing I know for sure.

Tutorial posted:

Welcome to Dangan ☆ Island. Allow me to explain our easy control scheme.

You may move the crosshairs shown on your screen by using the analog pad.
Should the crosshairs react to the environment, by all means - push the circle button. It allows you to examine that spot.

Furthermore, the arrow buttons, the L button and the R button make it possible to change your viewpoint.

But that's not all! Should you press the triangle button, a mysterious power will reveal to you the places you can interact with.
Having such a strange power at your disposal from the very beginning is super-useful.

Well, then. We recommend that you explore this sandy beach in order to advance the story.

That does sound super-useful. Looks like they’ve learned a lesson!

And here is our first look at the new, improved interface! As you can see in the upper right corner, this is the prologue. It's also daytime and we're at Level 1, whatever that means. The name of the current background music track is scrolling next to the guitar.

Palm trees are a staple of southern islands.

These ones are nice, I guess. But... they’re just scenery. Not really important right now.

A monitor is attached to the tree... but why?

There's nothing playing on it... What’s the point of it?

Let's move our viewpoint to the left...

A crystal clear blue sea... Essential to any island paradise.

Not that I'm impressed or anything.

It's not like I ever really wanted to visit such a place myself.

Hm? This is a camera, isn't it?
...A security camera?
Are they spying on us?!

I wouldn't call it spying...
I think you could say they're watching over us to keep us from danger...

But hey, you can't help but feel worried about things you have no control over, can you?

What's up with this guy...? How can he keep so calm in this situation?

...Is he really that easygoing?

So, how about it? Are you feeling any better?
Um... I know you're all messed up right now because of what happened, but...
We should really introduce ourselves, don't you think?
Yeah... I guess we should.

...Pleased to meet you. My name is Nagito Komaeda.

Super High-school Level Good Luck: Nagito Komaeda

Nagito Komaeda ( 狛枝凪斗 ) is voiced by Megumi Ogata, best known for her role as Shinji Ikari in the Evangelion franchise. Oh, you may also remember her as Makoto Naegi in Dangan Ronpa.

Oh, and since we're introducing ourselves...
I guess I should explain the talent that got me into Hope's Peak Academy.

...Though, in my case, it's kind of a lousy talent.
Why would you call a talent "lousy"...?

My talent is having good luck.
...Excuse me?

I'm not joking. It’s official. That’s my talent.
They called me "Super High-school Level Good Luck".
You’re serious? Super High-school Level... Good Luck?

According to my invitation, every high-school student in the country was entered into a lottery...
...And the winner invited to enroll as a bearer of "Super High-school Level Good Luck".
What I’m saying is... I’m here because of my exceptional good fortune. Literally.

Chosen by lottery... What the hell were they thinking?

I mean, is "Good Luck" even really a “talent”?
Surely, just having a lottery ensures... Nevermind. It's a mystery. Leave it at that.

You look like you’re not really sure what to make of this.
No... it's not that at all...

No, it's fine. I'm not sure what to think about it myself.

I'm just a regular high-school student with no talent. I never thought I could get into Hope's Peak.
At first, I got scared and tried to refuse the invitation. But they insisted.
Apparently, the luck factor is still a mystery for Hope's Peak’s staff.
And so, for the sake of research, the school picks one "Super High-school Level Good Luck" by lottery each year.

Hope's Peak sure is amazing for researching such a trivial thing as "luck" so diligently...
I'm glad that it makes it possible for someone like me to enter the school, but...

On the other hand... I feel a little out of place.

Ah, I'm sorry... I can't help having some negative feelings. It's a bad habit of mine.

Um, that's it for my introduction.

Huh. Nagito Komaeda...

He comes across as a little wishy-washy, but, at the very least, he doesn't seem like a bad person.

It's your turn now.
Oh. My name is Hajime Hinata.

...I have a question, Hinata-kun. What kind of Super High-school Level ability do you have?
Um, I...
I... I...

Music fades out

It isn’t a particularly tough question... Why is this so difficult?
Again, my mind reached out for the memory I needed. Again, it came back with nothing.

What’s going on? It’s like I’m trying to read a book whose pages are being wiped clean as I look...

I really had been starting to feel better. But now...

Huh...?

My body shivered from the force of the discomfort.

Hinata-kun... is something wrong?
What? N...No...!
I think I'm still a little bit confused... I... can't seem to remember very well...

You can’t remember...?

Music resumes

I suppose... with everything that’s happened, some memory loss isn’t that strange.

I'm sure it’s just shock, or something... I’m sure you’ll recover soon!
So... try not to worry too much, okay?
Yeah... I guess...

Well... it looks like we’re done with our introductions.
I'm not really sure what's going on, but I hope we can be friends.

Hope Shard Acquired

Achievement chime

Hey, did you hear something just now?!
T... There was a strange noise... I think it came from...!

Confused, I thrust my hand into my pocket.

I think that mechanical sound came from in there...

W... What is this thing?
It looks like a smartphone or something...
Why is it in my pocket?

Usami just gave them to us. Don't you remember...?

Oh, right, right... I think you were in the middle of passing out when that happened...
N... Now that you say that, I think I remember something like that happening...
...So, what is it?

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

It's an Ewectwonic Student Handbook!
...Uwah!!
H...Hey, how... Where the hell did you come from?!

Aww, did I startle you? I'm so sowwy.

Tee-hee... I'm not ashamed of apologies. They're vewy important!

...By the way, isn't that thing so cool? Isn’t it?
It's a cwucial part of this field twip, so pweeease don't lose it!
...This device is... important?

My task for everyone is to use this Ewectwonic Student Handbook and gather "Hope Shards"!

...Hope Shards?

You see, when you deepen your bonds with your classmates on this island, you acquire "Hope Shards".
The more you get along with everyone, the more "Hope Shards" you gather.
I want you to gather as many "Hope Shards" as you can, and make your Hope flower bwoom...
That’s the goal of this field twip!

Wuv! Wuv!!

Hey, wait!

Beautiful Ruin [Summer Salt]

...She's gone.

That stuffed doll doesn't just walk and talk. It seems she can teleport as well.

I don't get it at all. Who is operating that thing?!

What are these... “Hope Shards”, she said? What are they for?
...And why does she even want them so badly? It's like we're playing a game...

If this is just a game, it’d be a relief...
If nothing else, it’d mean we’re not actually in any danger.
I... I guess you're right...
But... more importantly, you still don’t know anything about the others, do you?

I think you should go and introduce yourself to everyone.
Yeah... I probably should.
But, where did they all go?

I think they're still exploring the island.
Are you serious? They went exploring?

We’ve been told to live here... so we figured we should probably get a feel for the place.
What kind of island is this? Is there a way off? Do we have food and supplies?

Anyway, why not look around yourself, and make your introductions while you’re at it?
I’ve already spoken to everyone... but I’d like to tag along while you explore, if that’s OK.

It seems I’ve got myself a partner...

...I suppose I should be thankful. Exploring alone doesn’t sound very enjoyable.

Let's go, then!

I can’t help but wonder though... Is everyone really alright with this?
Can we really just take this unusual situation so easily?

Is this what fresh air and sunlight does to people?

Or maybe... it’s something that Usami did to us?

What's wrong, Hinata-kun? We should go.
Y...Yeah.

Whatever the case... it can’t hurt to investigate this... nightmare. It is a nightmare, right?

Only one way to find out, I guess.

Tutorial posted:

You may now use your "Handbook". It allows you to access many game functions.

The handbook can be opened by pushing the square button. It is super-easy.

Among other things, you can find a guide for this field trip inside the handbook, as well as report cards that keep information about the students.
The handbook also allows you to save and load your game. Look for these options under the System entry.

But there's one more thing! By pushing the Select button, you may access a back log!

This concludes our tour of the handbook. Please use it at your own convenience.
I wish you luck in your quest searching for the other students.

Oh. You can exit the beach by pushing the cross button.

Well, since the tutorial has been so nice, let's see what the handbook has to offer.

This item says map, but it's disabled.

Question marks. This thing isn't very useful so far.

Presents. Unfortunately, we don't have any yet.

Report Cards. Let's see what's inside.

Hajime Hinata
Height: 179cm / Weight: 67kg / Chest: 91cm / Blood type: A
Birthday: January 1
Hates: Sakura-mochi
Title: Super High-school Level ???

A mochi is a type of Japanese confectionery. It’s basically a rice dumpling, often filled with some kind of paste (usually made of red beans). Kusa-mochi (lit. grass mochi) is made with mugwort leaves. Sakura mochi is made and decorated with cherry blossom leaves.

Blood types! They are learning!

Nagito Komaeda
Height: 180cm / Weight: 65kg / Chest: 84cm / Blood type: O
Birthday: April 28
Hates: Loud places
Title: Super High-school Level Good Luck

Permit me to save you all some time; don’t bother looking it up. Carry on.

That's all the cards we can see right now. Let's move back to the main menu.

Guide for the field trip. I'm going to nonchalantly ignore it for now, and move to...

Pet. Huh.

Aww. It's still an egg. The hearts say "Hope Measure" and the skulls "Despair Measure". Then we have the number of steps needed to make it grow, and the total number of steps. Not much we can do until it hatches, though, so...

Hey, wait, is that-

...Finally, System. Nothing interesting in there, unless you enjoy controlling sound levels or returning to main menus. Move along.

And now it's finally time to push the cross button and get off this beach.

Oh, right, I almost forgot...

There’s a map of the island in our handbooks...
...Exploring the island is going to be very easy if we use it!

Also, I... ah... I looked up information about everyone before I came to the school.
I can tell you some useful stuff about most of them. Not all of them, though.
...You mean, you actually found information about them on the web?

Oh, for - they’re doing this deliberately, aren’t they?!

Eh? You don't know?
Whenever Hope’s Peak Academy recruits a new class, the message boards go a bit crazy...
Does that mean... did you find something about me on there too...?

No, I don't think so... There was way too much info for me to read, though... Maybe I missed it?

Quite a coincidence, isn't it? You can't remember anything yourself, after all.

It can't be that there just wasn't anything about me written there, can it?

I mean, the one thing I have no doubt of is that I did join Hope's Peak Academy...

Anyway, let's go on our introductory journey. I'll try not being useless.
Y... Yeah. Let's go.

I guess I’d better introduce myself to everyone and find out what they're like.

Tutorial posted:

Sorry for causing so much trouble, but there is something important I forgot to tell you.

By accessing the map in your handbook, you can learn where anyone is at any given moment.
You can also jump to places marked with a "GO!" icon instantly.

Furthermore, should you see an exclamation mark icon, this is the place to be to make the story continue.

It's super-convenient. Now, let's go on.

These titles appear whenever you move from location to location. I'll show each once.

Next time, we go exploring!

orenronen fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 5, 2013

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Awwwright, more good luck on our side!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
We're the Super High School Level ??? around, this time, huh? Based on that, I'm willing to be that we really do have a SHSL talent, and that we didn't sneak into the Academy. I don't know what Hajime could have a skill, but maybe, just maybe, it's SHSL Folk Dancing.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Nagito isn't Naegi. That's good.

Getting some real Maizono vibes from him so far, but I don't know if that's the game trying to play off my expectations of what the first case will be.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Nagito just signed his death warrant, didn't he :smith:

The Chairman posted:

Well, Dangan Ronpa definitely feels like a game that's playing off our expectations so I don't think that's Naegi either. Another good indication of this would be that Naegi was like, 1.60 m when he was 18 so I don't think he'd manage to grow the other 20 cm.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

So according to this image there are six hope shards to collect for each character. That's interesting. Is it supposed to represent how far did you progress with the relationship flags? And why Usami is blacked out?

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.

orenronen posted:

Tutorial posted:
But that's not all! Should you press the triangle button, a mysterious power will reveal to you the places you can interact with.
Having such a strange power at your disposal from the very beginning is super-useful.

If that's intentional for narrative as much as gameplay, that's an interesting amount of focus for Hajime.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

:arghfist: What ever happened to removing unncessary ellipses?

Serious question for translation chat with Orenronen/Fedule- How did you happen to decide on "target" for the targeting circle, rather then "reticule" or "cursor"?

Gamechat:Main thing we seem to have learned in this update is that there's probably some sort of conflict between Hope and Despair, and our actions are going to impact that over the course of the game.

Granted- that's just because of the UI elements.

That might mean that losing a trial/event/whatever isn't a hard game-over, but that our final ending is dependent on how well we do over the course of the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

orenronen posted:

I'm just a regular high-school student with no talent. I never thought I could get into Hope's Peak.
At first, I got scared and tried to refuse the invitation. But they insisted.
Apparently, the luck factor is still a mystery for Hope's Peak’s staff.
And so, for the sake of research, the school picks one "Super High-school Level Good Luck" by lottery each year.

Well from what it looks like, this isn't Naegi, just someone who has a ton of similar traits. Wasn't Naegi excited and nervous to join Hope's Peak? There was something about him saying he should reject the offer, but that was more of a passing thought. And he ended up joining because he wanted to, not because they insisted. Interesting to know that Naegi wasn't the only one to be considered SHSL Good Luck, which could support that this guy and Naegi are different people.

I'm wondering if those hope shards are one of the ways the game will keep track of your progress in free time events and all that.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 14, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

And amnesia manages to return as a major plot device within three updates of the sequel.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The most interesting thing about this update so far is hearing that "SHSL Good Luck" is actually a title that's done once per school enrollment, not some stupid abstract title. Makes me kinda wonder exactly how many flaky, girl-sounding, jacket-wearing, teenage guys they pulled into the school through that lottery

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

:siren: I started putting official art in the thread's second post. I will continue to update it as we are introduced to the cast. :siren:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Naegi or not, one thing's for sure: Nagito has a nice hoodie and I want it. Please tell me they sell one like it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Huh, isn't that Ultragoon's favourite magic schoolgirl thing in that tamagotchi mini game?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

The Chairman posted:

Super High-School Level Luck?
Same VA?

I'm not convinced. :colbert:

Unless it turns out that they have different birthdays or something? I didn't bother looking it up.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My only question is if Hinata was such a SHSL Hope's Peak Academy Fanboy, why wasn't he reading the same message boards Naegi and Nagito were? I mean, obviously some pretty crazy poo poo happened to his memory; maybe he did and just can't remember?

e: Hinata and Nagito's official art makes it look like they're both in the middle of falling over.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Looks like Nagito is super-optimistic, too. Everything we've seen so far is consistent with an older or somehow alternate Naegi. However...

quote:

Is it just me, or is this not the face and posture of a good guy? He sets off my "villain-dar" like WOAH.

edit: I think he physically looks like Naegi combined with Junko. Which might not be related to anything in the story, but intended as either a clue or red herring to the viewer.

Saeku fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Didn't the previous DR0 update mention something about the Board being involved in 'creating' students? Specifically, this quote:

Old man Kirigiri himself posted:

“The crimes committed may be terrible, but it doesn’t change the fact that that student carries a very special brand of hope we raised all on our own.”

Perhaps THIS is the incident they were trying to cover up? That with who knows how many Super-Grown Up Talented People they could call upon, they could now genetically and/or psychologically engineer SHSL kids? The thought of some cabal of hyper-talented people creating more hyper-talented people guaranteed to rule the world certainly wouldn't sit well with me. It could also explain why there's a Naegi-alike, who's still not the Naegi we all know- perhaps the guy in charge of the project didn't have SHSL Naming Skills.

That being said, the biggest mystery for me is what part Usami will play in this twisted game, and how she will create the atmosphere necessary for the trials, murders etc. After all, we haven't seen Monobear, promotional materials and the like aside, so maybe he's not in this one anymore. That being said, I don't think DR's the sort of series to leave a thread like Monobear's survival alone, so I fully accept the possibility that I might be wrong- which would of course beg the question as to who's in charge of Monobear and whether s/he's been in charge all along.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 14, 2012

• Locked thread