Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I'm definitely going to look into that wireless controller mod now. There's a few things I need to get before I can try this mod, like a conical tip for my iron and a hot glue gun, but having looked at the parts and schematics I think I can do this. And if it's notto soul-crushingly tedious/boring, I'd probably offer the services for a good price to goons who want their controllers modded. And this is a good excuse to get my electronics skills back up to snuff and maybe get into console modding too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Lepecard posted:

It was actually a lot creepier!
The package was originally wrapped in brown paper with more cut out letters for the addresses(but done neatly) and even tied with twine but they said it was almost guaranteed to be flagged and opened so I had to remove the outer paper and just go with regular old ink :(

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I wasn't the only one to use cut-out letters!?

Twine actually trips up a lot of postal delivery service machines. AFAIK you can't use twine anymore.

Now what you could have done is ship a box with a smaller box wrapped up like you wanted inside the big box.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Chainclaw posted:

The Dreamcast had a few more RPGs than that. Aside from AwwJeah's mentioning of Evolution 1 and 2, there's also Armada, Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online Version 2, Record of Lodoss War, Time Stalkers, and Segagaga. I never played Dragonriders of Pern or Silver, but both of those look like RPGs, too.

I don't think Phantasy Star Online works anymore for the Dreamcast, the Gamecube version is the only one that still can run. However I have played Dragon Riders of Pern. I went into it thinking that at worst it would be a poor man's Panzer Dragoon Saga or Draken. Turns out it's just one of the worst RPGs ever made. Not only does the story make no sense, the game looks worse than Draken or Panzer Dragoon Saga and it plays incredibly bad. The controls just don't respond well period, not only that the layout is less than optimal.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 16, 2012

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Wow, Dragonriders of Pern looks horrible.

Well, with Christmas right around the corner, I told my brother I would put money towards a copy of Earthbound for him. That means I get to go to fun "Bid on Earthbound on eBay" town. It's not a huge deal because I'm pretty sure he originally bought me and my other brother a copy of Earthbound in the '90s as a combined birthday gift, and I still have that copy. I think this might be the most cash I spend on a single video game. I forgot how much I spent on my CPS2 boards, though.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Chainclaw posted:

Wow, Dragonriders of Pern looks horrible.

This. I've been wanting to track down a copy for awhile now, mostly thanks to having read way too much Anne McCaffrey in school, but god those screens. :smith:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

iastudent posted:

This. I've been wanting to track down a copy for awhile now, mostly thanks to having read way too much Anne McCaffrey in school, but god those screens. :smith:

Oh it doesn't even follow the books or lore well at all. Like you don't even have to be well versed in Pern lore to spot them, the game's sequence of events tend to contradict each other.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Quidnose posted:

Elemental Gimmick Gear is apparently a 2D adevnture RPG with 3D battles where you wander around in a mech and do poo poo. This sounds cool!

This is the best gift that has been received thus far... good, good stuff.

Also, while those of us are bashing Dragonriders of Pern (which deserves all the bashing it get) I feel I must mention that Silver is not an RPG in any traditional sense of the word, action or otherwise. It's a brawler in medieval clothing masquerading as an action-RPG, but there's a set number of enemies, no random drops, and a completely linear plot.

[edit] Seventh Cross: Evolution is more of an RPG than Silver... on a side note, everyone should play Seventh Cross: Evolution.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 16, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What's the deal with people freaking out about NHL 96? That's twice on one page.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

I never played Dragonriders of Pern or Silver, but both of those look like RPGs, too.

I don't know about Silver but Dragonriders of Pern is more of a point and click adventure.

:edit: drat this thread moved fast. Anyway, scratch that. I got it mixed up with a 3DO game.

EgillSkallagrimsson fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 16, 2012

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Allen Wren posted:

What's the deal with people freaking out about NHL 96? That's twice on one page.

It's considered one of the best 2D Hockey games ever, next to Mutant League Hockey. Both of which use the same engine.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

WendigoJohnson posted:

It's considered one of the best 2D Hockey games ever, next to Mutant League Hockey. Both of which use the same engine.

NHL 96 doesn't have a thing on NHL 94. That's still the gold standard for hockey games in my book.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I thought '94 was supposed to be the "ultimate" one? Isn't that the one they are playing in the movie Swingers?

I also want to do that wireless controller mod but holy hell reading schematics like that combined with dyscalculia is asking for broken drywall and money in the swear jar. I wonder if I could internally mount the RF receivers inside the system :allears:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah, I know, but the freakouts seemed more rooted in fear than anticipation, from where I sat. I'm probably just misinterpreting it.

(It's great but still has nothing on Blades of Steel, in my book.)

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

zenintrude posted:

[edit] Seventh Cross: Evolution is more of an RPG than Silver... on a side note, everyone should play Seventh Cross: Evolution.

Seven Cross Evolution is a fantastically weird spiritual successor to EVO: Search for Eden... but man is it ugly and does it play poorly. If you're a patient gamer who plays games to experience novel game mechanics, and gameplay quality and graphics don't matter to you, it's for sure worth playing through.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Allen Wren posted:

Yeah, I know, but the freakouts seemed more rooted in fear than anticipation, from where I sat. I'm probably just misinterpreting it.

(It's great but still has nothing on Blades of Steel, in my book.)

Oh, I see. I wouldn't have been upset if it was 96 (even if it's no 94), I just thought it'd be more amusing to present it that way considering the switcheroo.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I thought '94 was supposed to be the "ultimate" one? Isn't that the one they are playing in the movie Swingers?

I also want to do that wireless controller mod but holy hell reading schematics like that combined with dyscalculia is asking for broken drywall and money in the swear jar. I wonder if I could internally mount the RF receivers inside the system :allears:

You probably could! And if you don't break any of the connections inside to the controller port, you could probably just plug in a standard controller too when the modded one is turned off.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

It's my opinion that 94 was the best. The checking in that game was really solid. You really felt like you got them stuck in. I don't remember how 96 is in comparison, but I am positive that 95 doesn't feel anywhere near as bone shattering.
As for Mutant League Hockey, the "engine" didn't really matter. It was good because it's hockey with monsters, death, and weapons. Honestly, Mutant League Football was a much better game, but hockey is much easier to pick up and play than American Football.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Safari Disco Lion posted:

You probably could! And if you don't break any of the connections inside to the controller port, you could probably just plug in a standard controller too when the modded one is turned off.

That is awesome! Gonna try this out :twisted:

Also someone asked for pics of weird Gameboy carts I had, here they are (though I know for a fact I have more...I just can't find them right now).

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
I just thought the inclusion of NHL '96 was funny because it's the header photo on the gift exchange website.

Also, Episode I Racer for GBC is terrible, terrible, terrible. The N64 version holds up, though.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

It'll be a while before I have the parts and everything to start trying to do this, but if I can work it out, I could write out instructions for you. Would that be easier than working with the schematics? IE "From the VCC pin on the cord output, attach the LED, to the 1.2 kOhm resistor, to ground."

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Also someone asked for pics of weird Gameboy carts I had, here they are (though I know for a fact I have more...I just can't find them right now).

Why are those carts like that?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Safari Disco Lion posted:

It'll be a while before I have the parts and everything to start trying to do this, but if I can work it out, I could write out instructions for you. Would that be easier than working with the schematics? IE "From the VCC pin on the cord output, attach the LED, to the 1.2 kOhm resistor, to ground."

Oh hells yes. I kind of can read schematics but those are crazy hard to follow. Only if it's not too much trouble :shobon:

Lowen SoDium posted:

Why are those carts like that?

Rumble technology! :eng101:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Oh hells yes. I kind of can read schematics but those are crazy hard to follow. Only if it's not too much trouble :shobon:

Yeah, it shouldn't be too hard. I'll try and start getting stuff together when the new year starts. I'll keep the thread updated. :D

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I've got 100 count case of those Universal Game Cases (http://thevideostoreshopper.com/universal-game-case/universal-game-case-with-full-sleeve-insert/) that I no longer have room for after moving. Over half of them already have SNES, N64, and a few NES labels I've printed inserted and a four or five of the cases have had tabs removed to fit NES games.

Sadly, I just don't have room for the shelves I kept them on any more and I'll be lucky to find room for the games.If any goons are interested in casing their games, just make me a reasonable offer and you can have them.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

StellarX posted:

I've got 100 count case of those Universal Game Cases (http://thevideostoreshopper.com/universal-game-case/universal-game-case-with-full-sleeve-insert/) that I no longer have room for after moving. Over half of them already have SNES, N64, and a few NES labels I've printed inserted and a four or five of the cases have had tabs removed to fit NES games.

Sadly, I just don't have room for the shelves I kept them on any more and I'll be lucky to find room for the games.If any goons are interested in casing their games, just make me a reasonable offer and you can have them.

$25+shipping to 98107 for all of em?

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
Sounds good to me. Shoot me a message or email to stellarx at gmail and I'll get you a shipping estimate sometime Monday.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

Erluk posted:

I loving hate everything

Self quote because holy poo poo gently caress that game. Got to the last level on the second run and spent about 6-7 hours trying to clear it, mostly due to all the dumb "glitches" or what have you that appear. after about 7 hours the attempt ended when somebody pressed "Player One" instead of "Continue" :bang:

Edit: I suppose I should mention that it is Ghosts 'N Goblins for the NES

Erluk fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 16, 2012

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

WendigoJohnson posted:

I don't think Phantasy Star Online works anymore for the Dreamcast, the Gamecube version is the only one that still can run.

What do you mean doesn't work? I played it on the original Xbox not that long ago.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Jibo posted:

What do you mean doesn't work? I played it on the original Xbox not that long ago.

Isn't the DC version online only and lacks offline play?

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

zenintrude posted:

This is the best gift that has been received thus far... good, good stuff.

I accept your opinion of my gift.

Honestly, of all the game I got my giftee, EGG was the one I was most personally interested in. I had to resist the urge to give it a spin in my Dreamcast.

I'm watching a let's play on it right now and it's gorgeous looking. Too bad the disc I sent out was the only copy my game store had in stock in this state.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

StellarX posted:

Sounds good to me. Shoot me a message or email to stellarx at gmail and I'll get you a shipping estimate sometime Monday.

Emailed~

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

You guys are really making me want to buy a copy of EGG now.

I just tried to run Midtown Madness on my 360, and it doesn't support it. :(

I'll have to dig out my Xbox tomorrow to play it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Isn't the DC version online only and lacks offline play?

No. You can play it offline just fine. Moreover, you can still connect to private servers and play online. Though unless you had a real strong attachment to the DC version you're better off just playing Blue Burst anyway.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Aw poo poo I just bought Lagrange Point. Time to crack down on hiragana before it gets here.

e: Speaking of which, Surugaya just cancelled my order because "the orderer, recipient and the credit card holder's name and address are different" (fraud reasons) - but the address is the same I used last time to order and it went through then? This ever happened to anyone else, or do I need to try ordering again?

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 16, 2012

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

h_double posted:

I, Robot is pretty awesome. It's such an eccentric little game with a great design aesthetic, and it's the only arcade game with a paint mode. When you drop in your quarter you have a choice between playing the actual game, or diddling around for ~3 minutes in a funky MS-Paint style canvas with animated 3D polygons.

Of course, I, Robot was predated by vector 3D games like Battlezone and Star Wars, but as far as I know it was the first shaded 3D game.

Virtual Fighter 4 for the PS2 has Virtua Fighter 1 included as a bonus/easter egg mode, and it's a great study in contrasts and "wow that used to look so good". Also I'm not sure I realized they made Virtua Fighter for the 32X:

I swear there were shaded 3D sequences in the Robotron sequel Blaster that pre-dated I, Robot by about a year. Damned if I can find shots of them though. :/

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Edison Carter posted:

I swear there were shaded 3D sequences in the Robotron sequel Blaster that pre-dated I, Robot by about a year. Damned if I can find shots of them though. :/

Nah I'm pretty sure Blaster is all scaled sprites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exV826Ee17k

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mill Village posted:

You guys are really making me want to buy a copy of EGG now.

I actually found an imported copy of it at my local game store that never has anything imported last week. Because they never know how to price this stuff they slapped a three dollar sticker on it and tossed it into their clearance bin with a lot of other stuff that was probably from the same collection. Naturally I grabbed all of it.

The lone exception for their pricing, BTW, was Yoshi's Island which they wanted an absurd $25 for. I can buy a copy from Japan for 60 cents plus shipping (which if you do it right doesn't wind up being that much).

ACID POLICE posted:

e: Speaking of which, Surugaya just cancelled my order because "the orderer, recipient and the credit card holder's name and address are different" (fraud reasons) - but the address is the same I used last time to order and it went through then? This ever happened to anyone else, or do I need to try ordering again?

The actual reason is that Japanese companies are basically incompetent when it comes to online shopping and credit cards. If they'd accept paypal I'd use them more often but they're much more a headache for me to deal with instead of Amazon marketplace and a remailer.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

ACID POLICE posted:

Japanese online services can be really rear end backwards when it comes to credit information. If there's a typo in either the billing or shipping address or the name on the credit card doesn't match the shipping information, they're going to suspect fraud. You could e-mailing them and ask to rectify the situation as Surugaya's customer service speaks English.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Code Jockey posted:

And like I asked before, do we still need to do this if we signed our gift and evidence is posted here? I sent two things via USPS at the same time and I am hella dumb and can't tell which tracking number is which :downs:

ninja: actually according to the tracking site they're both at their destination city so I guess I can tell now! But again if it gets delivered and posted here do I still need to?

This is what is going happen.

1) I will be checking the list and asking people to tell me if they didn't get their package

2) I will take that list and compare it against my records to see which Santa's are having a problem. I can see who is matched with who.

3) we try to resolve it using proof of postage, and etc. If I feel like a guy has not performed ill provide the case to the administration and its ban time.

I am still on vacation, but I'll be checking everything out in preparation for step one when I get home.

My SARGSSee still hasn't received mine it seems....

E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Gotcha. I logged mine, and he got it already and posted, but thanks for putting so much into this. Aside from HamburgNES's jailbar jamboree, this may be the best thing that's happened to the thread. :v:

• Locked thread