Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

skooma512 posted:

What's the point of Line Gunner anyway? I've never gone down a line and wished I could shoot, mostly because nobody is around when I use ziplines.

There's one National Treasure-esque mission where you ride a zipline directly over plenty of pirates to shoot. I think that might be a Buck mission. There are a few more, too, if you look around before charging toward your mission objectives, but I can't describe them without spoiling the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ak Gara posted:

What's the best contrast/brightness/gamma setting to make the game look the best?

No one can tell you this, it's completely dependent on your own setup at home. What would look amazing on my machine might look like trash on yours.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

gibbed posted:

Wow, I don't know how I missed the extra RPG camos, will definitely enable them.

Sweet, because I had no luck with it. It looks like the flamethrower may have extra camos too (I'm getting this info from looking at the weapon stuff in shoppingitems.lib so I could be wrong.

I also noticed that the R700 Predator has different available skins then the regular R700. I'll see if I can add them to the regular R700.

So I take it this means you're still working on a revised attachment mod?

@Endymion FRS MK1: Here's the attachment mod (with more attachments enabled too), better sights, and full-auto Famas: http://rghost.net/42299873

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Swartz posted:

Sweet, because I had no luck with it. It looks like the flamethrower may have extra camos too (I'm getting this info from looking at the weapon stuff in shoppingitems.lib so I could be wrong.

I also noticed that the R700 Predator has different available skins then the regular R700. I'll see if I can add them to the regular R700.

So I take it this means you're still working on a revised attachment mod?

@Endymion FRS MK1: Here's the attachment mod (with more attachments enabled too), better sights, and full-auto Famas: http://rghost.net/42299873
I am still working on the revised attachment mod.

However, sadly the RPG skins don't actually exist, The flamethrower skins are already enabled in-game.

Swartz posted:

What attachments are added extra aside from the ones I did? Or do you mean higher attachment counts?

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

gibbed posted:

I am still working on the revised attachment mod.

However, sadly the RPG skins don't actually exist, The flamethrower skins are already enabled in-game.
What attachments are added extra aside from the ones I did? Or do you mean higher attachment counts?

That sucks about the RPG skins :(
I never noticed the flamethrower skins, now I have something new to check out :)

As for attachments, I just upped the attachment counts is all.

--
For anyone who wants a little extra challenge from NPC's here's a (in RAW form, you'll have to merge it yourself) mod that disables lasers on enemy sniper rifles.
http://rghost.net/42300112

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Swartz posted:

Cool, thank you.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Anyone with the deluxe edition - was it worth the extra fiver?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gibbed, if you can't find the files or whatever for fixing the 100% bugs, could you make the signature weapon you unlock through the trials of the Rakyat available at the beginning of the game?

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Swartz posted:

Not a longshot at all. In fact that's easy to do. Any specific mod you want it merged with or do you want it stand-alone?

What file can I modify this in? I have a few mods that I'd like to just merge them with myself. Also, where can I find the ammo capacity values? That's something I've been meaning to change for a while now.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Can someone explain what the gently caress is going on in the "good" ending? Citra gets shanked, says she loves Jason, Jason gives a super brief monologue about being a monster, then... what? Did a cutscene not play for me or something? Is Jason implying that he won't leave the island?

Really disappointed that there was no option to just execute everybody involved and live out the rest of your days as a Pirate King.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Can someone explain what the gently caress is going on in the "good" ending? Citra gets shanked, says she loves Jason, Jason gives a super brief monologue about being a monster, then... what? Did a cutscene not play for me or something? Is Jason implying that he won't leave the island?

Really disappointed that there was no option to just execute everybody involved and live out the rest of your days as a Pirate King.

The last scene is the boat your friends have been building, leaving the island. Jason and his friends escape the island.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Wow. The story was nothing special at any point, but that was terrible if that's really all it is. I think I'd rather have an '80s style YOU WIN CHALLENGE AGAIN black screen with white text.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The last scene is the boat your friends have been building, leaving the island. Jason and his friends escape the island.
What is it with recent AAA games and terrible, unsatisfying endings these days anyway? Is there a segment of consumers out there who like bad endings?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

What is it with recent AAA games and terrible, unsatisfying endings these days anyway? Is there a segment of consumers out there who like bad endings?

My suspicion is with the advent of achievements, developers see how only a small portion of the population who buys games actually completing it, so ending the game is an afterthought. It's cheaper on production costs too.

But yeah 2012 has been the year of bad endings, that's for sure.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 17, 2012

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's nice to know that even in these troubled times, the locals can find some time to perform group gymnastics :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QNBbxI7Kqs

E: This begs the question: Why don't people react to being hit with rocks in FC3? In FC1 they used to jiggle all over the place and it was amazing

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 17, 2012

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Slappy Moose posted:

What file can I modify this in? I have a few mods that I'd like to just merge them with myself. Also, where can I find the ammo capacity values? That's something I've been meaning to change for a while now.

Step 1: Put patch.dat&patch.fat in the folder with Gibbed's tools

Step 2: Drag patch.fat over Gibbed.Dunia2.Unpack.exe. This will create a folder called "patch_unpack

Step 3: Go into patch_unpack/worlds/fc3_main/generated/ and copy the file entitylibrary.fcb and drop it in the folder of Gibbed's tools

Step 4: Drag entitylibrary.fcb over Gibbed.Dunia2.ConvertBinaryObject.exe. This will create a new folder called "entitylibrary_converted". Inside the WeaponProperties/FC3 folder within is where you can modify the gun attributes. They're fairly self explanatory.
For making the Famas full-auto, open up FAMAS.xml and go to the line that reads:

quote:

<field name="iBurstLength" type="Int32">3</field>
Change that value to 0 and it will become full-auto.

As for ammo capacity, currently it's not known where the max ammo capacity values for the various ammo pouch sizes are stored, but if you meant the magazine size you can change that with the line that reads:

quote:

<field name="iAmmoInClip" type="Int32">##</field>

Step 5: When you're done making your changes to any of the files in entitylibrary_converted look for a file that will have been created in the main tools directory called "entitylibrary_converted.xml". Drag this file over Gibbed.Dunia2.ConvertBinaryObject.exe to create entitylibrary_converted.fcb (rename this to entitylibrary.fcb. Now place it in patch_unpack/worlds/fc3_main/generated/ and overwrite the file that's already there.

Step 6: In the main tools directory drag the "patch_unpack" folder over Gibbed.Dunia2.Pack.exe. It will create two files: patch_unpack.dat & patch_unpack.fat. Rename these to patch.dat & patch.fat and put them in the data_win32 directory of your main Far Cry 3 game folder.

--
Hope that helped. That's just a common set of files to be modified, there's a bunch more than can be unpacked from common.fat/dat and fc3_main.fat/dat.
You'll encounter other files that get unpacked that take the form of .lib or .obj. You just drag these files over Gibbed.Dunia2.ConvertBinaryObject.exe like you did with entitylibrary.fcb. When done modifying those files drag it back over the exe and it will repack the file but give it the .fcb extension. Just rename the extension to what it's supposed to be.

Also if you make changes from common.dat/fat or fc3_main.fat/dat DON'T repack your changes into those files. Just make the corresponding directory in patch_unpack and do it that way.

--
Just as a note I won't be doing any more mod requests and all my future mods save any big compilations I make will be in their raw data form as frankly this game is so easy to mod that there's not much excuse for people not to be packaging files themselves.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Swartz posted:

As for ammo capacity, currently it's not known where the max ammo capacity values for the various ammo pouch sizes are stored
I suspect this to be in nomadobjecttemplates.fcb (which I just started working on), it already seems to contain definitions for the player's skills and lots of other fun stuff.

TankGunBullet
Feb 22, 2004

Coffee makes my brain go faster!
I've been playing through and had some really fun moments. I'd have to agree with a prior post that the game is more RDR than Skyrim but that doesn't make it any less fun.

I've been busting my rear end clearing bases and doing all the hunter side missions. Also i've upgraded all my packs, satchels, belts and such to maximum. Like RDR waiting for a specific animal to show up can super suck. I spent over 1hr tracking dingos only to find some then get killed by a stealthy Caroway bird that crossed my path. Awesome that dingos and dogs look and act the exact same and you can only tell the difference once you skin one.

Also I got to say what the hell dam dudes with the hunter side mission for taking out the rabid dogs with only an RPG. Cause yeah that makes sense.

Protip on attacking bases:
Take out the alarm panel with the sniper rifle then rain fire from the sky with the grenade launcher. I can usually clear a base in 1-2 mins due to the AI's tendency to clump together when they get alerted to your presence.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

TankGunBullet posted:

Protip on attacking bases:
Take out the alarm panel with the sniper rifle then rain fire from the sky with the grenade launcher. I can usually clear a base in 1-2 mins due to the AI's tendency to clump together when they get alerted to your presence.

The only correct way is to kill all the enemies with takedowns and pretend this is the real Assassins Creed 3.

...the tower climbing is more entertaining too.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Man, clearing outposts is actually hard without the HUD and camera marking.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
I'm seeing in some movies people have tattoos on both of Jason's arms. Is this a preorder or did I miss something?

Grimdaddy
Dec 1, 2003

The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be.

Silentgoldfish posted:

I'm seeing in some movies people have tattoos on both of Jason's arms. Is this a preorder or did I miss something?

Yeah, its a preorder thing.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I kinda wish I could turn it off. Not really a fan of the other tattoo.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Swartz posted:

Modding and stuff
:allears: I love you

The two things I really, really want are: a larger quiver. 60 arrows would be awesome.

And a way to craft arrows from something like, say, white leaves. White leaves are useless as far as I know and all I want is a way to be completely independent from the towns, and just roam the jungles murdering everything and scavenging all of my ammunition. I think I should be able to change the input and output attributes to one of the arrow crafting recipes so, say, the explosive arrow tip recipe takes a white leaf and gives you 5 arrows instead of taking a grenade and giving you an explosive arrow.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

gibbed posted:

I suspect this to be in nomadobjecttemplates.fcb (which I just started working on), it already seems to contain definitions for the player's skills and lots of other fun stuff.

Just took a look at it with your latest SVN. drat it looks like there's some juicy stuff you've unlocked so far and some even juicier stuff you haven't. Looks like it's already possible to modify various XP rewards in the game :)

*Edit*

Slappy Moose posted:

The two things I really, really want are: a larger quiver. 60 arrows would be awesome.

And a way to craft arrows from something like, say, white leaves. White leaves are useless as far as I know and all I want is a way to be completely independent from the towns, and just roam the jungles murdering everything and scavenging all of my ammunition. I think I should be able to change the input and output attributes to one of the arrow crafting recipes so, say, the explosive arrow tip recipe takes a white leaf and gives you 5 arrows instead of taking a grenade and giving you an explosive arrow.

Already possible :)
http://rghost.net/42301860
The file you want to modify is in common.dat/.fat and is called "craftingrecipe.lib".
I'll let you figure out how to package it after that long tutorial I gave, but here's the basics on what was changed in the files:

The arrow recipes: both have the following in them

quote:

<object name="Requirement">
<field name="shpLootObject" type="UInt16">1385</field>
<field name="iNeeded" type="Int32">1</field>
</object>

shpLootObject 1385 corresponds to the white leaf according to shoppingitems.lib.
iNeeded of 1 makes it so you only need 1 white leaf.

In terms of the quiver, the line sItemSize #1,#2 where #1 is normal arrows and #2 is special arrows.

Have fun.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 17, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Slappy Moose posted:

White leaves are useless as far as I know

They're used for the higher-tier syringes you can craft as you progress through the story.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cardboard Box posted:

They're used for the higher-tier syringes you can craft as you progress through the story.

Which ones? I've never used a single white leaf.

The only syringes I ever made were medicine, enemy detection, animal detection, and a couple of the health buff ones.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Far Cry 3's story is a guilty pleasure. It's a blast when you go through it, but afterwards you look back and feel a little embarrassed.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

skooma512 posted:

Which ones? I've never used a single white leaf.

The only syringes I ever made were medicine, enemy detection, animal detection, and a couple of the health buff ones.

You get one for getting a bunch of relics, and one for finishing (or getting really close to finishing) the story. One is an invulnerability thing, but I've forgotten what the other does.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
The other one is every bullet is an instant-kill, I believe.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Edit: EFB^^^

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I've put a grand total of an hour into this game but I've already seen so much hilarious poo poo. I cleared one base inadvertently when I was casing the joint, discovered a tiger, he gave chase, so I ran through the base, shot the alarm, and let the tiger kill everyone. Amazing. another a pack of wild dogs just moved in and laid waste.

I was able to get one of them on bandicam cause I had a little bit of time to set up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4aABTz5HGk

why would you keep a caged tiger in your base

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

skooma512 posted:

What's the point of Line Gunner anyway? I've never gone down a line and wished I could shoot, mostly because nobody is around when I use ziplines.

There are a couple missions where it might be kind of useful. I took it just because I had a ton of skill points to spend but never used it, I don't carry any one-handed weapons usually.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

I just figure slave traders have a line on the poaching game.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I liked the ending, if you include all the content that happens after the "are you sure you want to do this, there's no going back from this point on" mark.

Sure, it would have been nice with some more epilogue but the last battles were fun as hell!

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

And even if you had an awesome reason, like you were sent out there to get that trophy animal, why would you lock it up in a flimsy bamboo cage tied shut with a rope?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nombres posted:

And even if you had an awesome reason, like you were sent out there to get that trophy animal, why would you lock it up in a flimsy bamboo cage tied shut with a rope?

I'm hoping the reason here is that is just an interim cage they are using until they can get a steel cage shipped to them.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I just went shark fishing with grenades. Managed to have one pop about ten feet out of the water when the grenade blew. This game.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

error1 posted:

I liked the ending, if you include all the content that happens after the "are you sure you want to do this, there's no going back from this point on" mark.

Sure, it would have been nice with some more epilogue but the last battles were fun as hell!
I agree with this somewhat. The extremely generous timer on the Compound -> Airstrip leg of the endgame combined with all the guys that wanted you dead made it seem like an interesting "choose your own adventure" of combat explodeyness. I wonder if the game complains at all if you don't take the obvious path?

The helicopter scene went on a bit too long, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
What is the name of the mission you get before you have to move onto the second island? I want to get as much poo poo done on the first island before I am forced to move. Can I move back and forth between islands?

Also, I was trying to do all the radio towers but many of the southern ones I can't seem to reach. It tells me I am leaving the area and have to turn around. Are those the ones on the second island?

• Locked thread