Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That's what the Chakra Ring is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Pepper posted:

That's what the Chakra Ring is for.

In the dungeon that takes away all your items? :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Strange Quark posted:

Too bad Magician cards won't ever give you -dyne spells. It'll upgrade only from single target to a Ma- skill, but only in the same light/medium/heavy tier.
Awww that sucks. I did get Invigorate 3, though!

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Strange Quark posted:

Too bad Magician cards won't ever give you -dyne spells. It'll upgrade only from single target to a Ma- skill, but only in the same light/medium/heavy tier.

I just had my Samael's Megido turn to Megidolaon. I was level ~40 and am currently in the process of propagating it and Invigorate 3 everywhere. It took a bunch of money, but I got it onto a Black Frost. And like 10 other personas.

I've also gained like 10 levels since them from nuking hands.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Heavy spells is one thing. Naoto's skill is 160 SP :v:

I didn't manage to Max out Naoto by that point. I'm not sure if she had Spell Master herself in that dungeon or not, but she does now, and can freely Heat Riser the party in tough battles.:)

Also, Chakra rings own.

I've been wearing my Vampire Halloween costume since I got it in the game because I think it looks more like a magician costume than a vampire, and I just love looking like a magician while throwing down Mind Charged Black Vipers.

I'm still working on my Persona calendar and am wondering if I should add some Japanese holidays like Ocean Day, or not...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
^^^ How did you get Spell Master on Naoto? As far as I can see, she can't learn it at all.

Spite posted:

I just had my Samael's Megido turn to Megidolaon. I was level ~40 and am currently in the process of propagating it and Invigorate 3 everywhere. It took a bunch of money, but I got it onto a Black Frost. And like 10 other personas.

I've also gained like 10 levels since them from nuking hands.

Almighty is a special case. You can get Megidoloan through evolving Megido twice, but Magaru will never become (Ma)Garula.

Invigorate 1, 2, and 3 all stack too, but wasting three slots gets outclassed pretty quickly once you have access to Spell Master and Relaxing Wave.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 16, 2012

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Thanks a lot guys I beat the crap out of the boss! I ran out of SP with Yu which was kinda of a pain since I was only regenerating 3 a turn but I still managed to do it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nessa posted:

I didn't manage to Max out Naoto by that point. I'm not sure if she had Spell Master herself in that dungeon or not, but she does now, and can freely Heat Riser the party in tough battles.:)

Pfft, Heat Riser. Bitch I have Dragon Hustle.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, Naoto is now second only to the main character in pure versatility.

Is there some sort of missable trigger you can get to start Kanji's Emperor S-Link? I swear I was up, down and all around the school for months. I have since completely given up on ever actually using him.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Speedball posted:

Yeah, Naoto is now second only to the main character in pure versatility.

Is there some sort of missable trigger you can get to start Kanji's Emperor S-Link? I swear I was up, down and all around the school for months. I have since completely given up on ever actually using him.

You talk to Kanji on the first Practice building floor. Then you have to talk to a girl on the Classroom building 2nd floor, who is not always there. Once that is done talk to Kanji again to start the S.Link.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

jtm33 posted:

You talk to Kanji on the first Practice building floor. Then you have to talk to a girl on the Classroom building 2nd floor, who is not always there. Once that is done talk to Kanji again to start the S.Link.

The girl's right next to the stairs in the middle and is only there on Tues/Thurs/Sat.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Heavy spells is one thing. Naoto's skill is 160 SP :v:

1...6... poo poo, I forgot I had her wearing that thing. Guess I need to level up someone else if I've got a dungeon up ahead where she can't use it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Speaking of SP, does anyone NOT use Yukiko? She has so much god drat SP and can cast healing spells all day. Plus fire is usually useful.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm halfway through my second playthrough at this point. I'm falling in love with this game all over again. Also:

Why did I do this :v:

Edit:

Sankis posted:

Speaking of SP, does anyone NOT use Yukiko? She has so much god drat SP and can cast healing spells all day. Plus fire is usually useful.

Hey man, I was too busy rocking out with Kanji, Chie and Naoto to use Yukiko at all. :colbert:

(I still leveled everyone, though)

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 17, 2012

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Sankis posted:

I use Team Bro for the main dungeon runs, although I switch up party members frequently. It's mainly because I used Yukiko when I played the original P4, so I wanted to switch it up.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
In vanilla, Yukiko's Magic isn't that much stronger than Teddie's, and Teddie has Matarukaja which is a very giant point in his favor.

But now, Amagidyne and Mind Charge make it much more even, and Chie's Dragon Hustle probably tips it in favor of Yukiko.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sankis posted:

I trained everyone up but ended up rolling with Yosuke/Kanji/Naoto on boss fights. For some reason, compared to Yukiko's fire magic, Yosuke's wind spells do an average of 50-100 points more damage on the late game enemies with all the same boosts even though he's around 10 points behind on magic.

Apparently one of the shadows in the February dungeon has Hassou Tobi. Only Yoshitsune should be able to do that, jerkwad. :argh:

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 17, 2012

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I've been using Naoto/Teddie/Kanji, I like to keep one of the pairs with a finisher on hand, and my Chie is like level 25 to those guys' 93, so Yukiko is a no.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

In vanilla, Yukiko's Magic isn't that much stronger than Teddie's, and Teddie has Matarukaja which is a very giant point in his favor.

But now, Amagidyne and Mind Charge make it much more even, and Chie's Dragon Hustle probably tips it in favor of Yukiko.

It's also trivial to set up a Persona with auto-mataru/masuku/maraku and start every fight with all three up. I didn't need party members with dedicated buff skills when I had Trumpeter with the three autos, Heat Riser and Debilitate to open every battle and then switch to all dynes megidolaon Black Frost. Chie getting Dragon Hustle and Naoto getting Heat Riser makes the buff skills even less necessary.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm halfway through my second playthrough at this point. I'm falling in love with this game all over again. Also:

Why did I do this :v:

pshh

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

I like how Jack Frost is all "HEE-HEE-HOLY poo poo LOOK AT THOSE STATS."

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Should I just stop using the sos or is there actually a point to it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Liquid Penguins posted:

I don't know, you tell me.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Liquid Penguins posted:

It's free health/sp. There's literally no reason not to use it.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

TheLoser posted:

It's free health/sp. There's literally no reason not to use it.

It makes every battle last 15 seconds longer for 5hp/3mp which in my bizarro world is way too long to be worth it. Unless, of course, I'm missing something.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Liquid Penguins posted:

It makes every battle last 15 seconds longer for 5hp/3mp which in my bizarro world is way too long to be worth it. Unless, of course, I'm missing something.

You can have multiple people come to your aid and get way more than that.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Liquid Penguins posted:

Amounts gained change in proportion to your max hp/sp and the number of people who respond to your signal. If you get two or three people onboard, the gains can be pretty massive.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The more I use Yosuke/Kanji/Yukiko the more I become convinced it's the best. With the exception of Galactic Punt and Twin Dragon, Kanji just seems top to bottom a better Chie thanks to him now getting Power Charge. And Yosuke! How did I ever contemplate switching you out for Naoto. You may be an rear end in the story, but I would be lost without your Magarudyne and Masukukaja. This party is also nice because none of their bike skills are that good, except for Yukiko's Mind Charge. But honestly she deals so much damage now I just don't think it's necessary. As a result, I can save the bike trips for Rise and spend more time on S. Links.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

TheLoser posted:

Amounts gained change in proportion to your max hp/sp and the number of people who respond to your signal. If you get two or three people onboard, the gains can be pretty massive.

Except if you're like me and are always at max (which as soon as I hit 43 is always the case) then it has no use.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

neongrey posted:

1...6... poo poo, I forgot I had her wearing that thing. Guess I need to level up someone else if I've got a dungeon up ahead where she can't use it.

That dungeon is also full of enemies weak to light and dark so Naoto still saw a lot of use.

Optional Dungeon mechanics twist:

You can't use any of your items. After every battle your party's MP is halved, but you start with passive 8MP regen a turn items and get up to 24MP regen in there. Naoto also gets Invigorate 3 so she was getting enough MP every turn to at least spam the hama/mudo spells and end fights right away.

Mikan posted:

It's also trivial to set up a Persona with auto-mataru/masuku/maraku and start every fight with all three up. I didn't need party members with dedicated buff skills when I had Trumpeter with the three autos, Heat Riser and Debilitate to open every battle and then switch to all dynes megidolaon Black Frost. Chie getting Dragon Hustle and Naoto getting Heat Riser makes the buff skills even less necessary.

You still really need party members to buff for bosses, auto-spells only last 3 rounds. Every 3 turns I generally do:

MC Casts debilitate, Kanji buff attack, Teddie buff defense or heal, Naoto mind charge or do a defensive skill if I need it.

On NG+ I'm gonna go with the other 3, Yosuke only buffs hit/evasion so I guess Yukiko and Chie can power/mind charge while the MC sits there buffing/debuffing.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 17, 2012

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

The more I use Yosuke/Kanji/Yukiko the more I become convinced it's the best. With the exception of Galactic Punt and Twin Dragon, Kanji just seems top to bottom a better Chie thanks to him now getting Power Charge. And Yosuke! How did I ever contemplate switching you out for Naoto. You may be an rear end in the story, but I would be lost without your Magarudyne and Masukukaja. This party is also nice because none of their bike skills are that good, except for Yukiko's Mind Charge. But honestly she deals so much damage now I just don't think it's necessary. As a result, I can save the bike trips for Rise and spend more time on S. Links.

But you've got a team that doesn't have any dual attacks, therefore, it is not the best :colbert:

Kanji and Naoto's is my favourite. It's called Beauty and the Beast. A giant skull appears on the field and things die. It's badass.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
SOS kinda stinks if you play at weird hours like me. Even if I dick around avoiding fights for a while, I'll send out 10 or so and maybe get back one or two. :smith: And they're always Yu Narukamis with default rescue messages.

Eff you guys, I have Ishtar & Rise now.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I went through every dual attack in the process of unlocking my final team

Chie Yukiko: Dual dragons, dragons come out and blow things up
Teddie Yosuke: Junes Bomber, a giant teddie bomb drops and yosuke throws some ninja things and it blows up
Kanji Naoto: Beauty and the beast, A giant skull comes out of the ground then blows up. The little pose they do is cute though

All of them do the same thing (Blow stuff up for almighty damage)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Holy cow, I had no idea so many good skills were hidden and could only be unlocked by going on bike trips. I thought that was just an excuse to get more S-link points. Good thing I read this thread, I thought those were a waste of time. ...now I need to get Naoto a spell for every last element so she's unstoppable.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Speedball posted:

Holy cow, I had no idea so many good skills were hidden and could only be unlocked by going on bike trips. I thought that was just an excuse to get more S-link points. Good thing I read this thread, I thought those were a waste of time. ...now I need to get Naoto a spell for every last element so she's unstoppable.

Careful, some bike trips are a waste of a day. Rise's are always useful because they add a very large chunk to All Out Attacks eventually. Teddie has enough good skills naturally and through S.Link that the mediocre stuff he learns through bikes aren't worth wasting a day, Kanji's Bike stuff is just all around bad. Chie can finally get Bufudyne through Bikes :v: and Hamaon is useful on her if you don't use Naoto.

Yukiko's bike skills are pretty useful, Mind Charge obviously is great but even spirit drain is useful, Marakunda is really good against bosses.

Naoto's problem is she has 8 slots and like 16 good skills, in the end I just left her with Garudyne, Mahamaon, Mamudoon for the elements even though her bike stuff is all good.

Yosuke gets Confuse up which looks useless but actually makes Tentarafoo kinda cool

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

What did this game do to you to make you want to unleash that on it?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

You still really need party members to buff for bosses, auto-spells only last 3 rounds. Every 3 turns I generally do:

MC Casts debilitate, Kanji buff attack, Teddie buff defense or heal, Naoto mind charge or do a defensive skill if I need it.

On NG+ I'm gonna go with the other 3, Yosuke only buffs hit/evasion so I guess Yukiko and Chie can power/mind charge while the MC sits there buffing/debuffing.

Between two sources of Heat Riser, Dragon Hustle, and Rise giving out partywide buffs/Power and Mind Charge every other turn I never once needed a dedicated slot for mataru/etc past Void Quest or so. They were invaluable in ps2 Persona 4 but with Golden givng characters so many good skills and all the other, more efficient buffing methods mataru and the others took up a valuable skill slot.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mikan posted:

Between two sources of Heat Riser, Dragon Hustle, and Rise giving out partywide buffs/Power and Mind Charge every other turn I never once needed a dedicated slot for mataru/etc past Void Quest or so. They were invaluable in ps2 Persona 4 but with Golden givng characters so many good skills and all the other, more efficient buffing methods mataru and the others took up a valuable skill slot.

I don't really like Heat Riser because it only buffs 1 person but doesn't Dragon Hustle use all of Chie's SP in 1 cast? I know without MP items she can't cast it twice. It's also not really available outside of the last possible dungeon.

It's true that random buffs from Rise make it a lot less important though, when you max her out she gets ridiculous with the buffs and weakness reveals, she's basically doing something every turn.

Also I kind of wish there was a Trophy for beating a NG on Hard because NG+ completely removes any challenge but I also don't want to grind all that stuff up again for no reward. On normal you get so many options by the end that the game becomes kind of trivial and you aren't really encouraged to stretch the battle system to its limits.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 17, 2012

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

I don't really like Heat Riser because it only buffs 1 person but doesn't Dragon Hustle use all of Chie's SP in 1 cast? I know without MP items she can't cast it twice. It's also not really available outside of the last possible dungeon.

It's true that random buffs from Rise make it a lot less important though, when you max her out she gets ridiculous with the buffs and weakness reveals, she's basically doing something every turn.

Also I kind of wish there was a Trophy for beating a NG on Hard because NG+ completely removes any challenge but I also don't want to grind all that stuff up again for no reward

You only really need to Heat Riser a single character. By the end of the game as long as Yukiko is Heat Risered and the opponent has been Debilitated, you'll completely annihilate everything. You can get similar output out of the MC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The GIG posted:

What did this game do to you to make you want to unleash that on it?

I figured since Jack is one of my favorite personas (extremely useful when you get him, just like Black Frost), he deserved more love. I was just gonna get him up to level 50 or such at first, but the game kept throwing stat cards at me and I got a little carried away.

I'll eventually be replacing a few of those skills once I have the cards for them; Spell Master, Ice Boost and Null Fire are all necessities, and I'll be replacing Evade Fire, Amrita and Traesto with those three. Then I'm gonna have Black Frost with the same poo poo except for fire instead of ice, and I'll get him up there stat-wise as well. It'll be the most adorable tag team of terror and chaos :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread