Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
In the Google Maps app, is there a way to switch the distance units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

CerebralDonut posted:

If anyone is interested, the Culinary Institute of America's iOS app (The Professional Chef) is ~75% off on the app store -> it dropped from $50 to $12.99

I wonder if it was an error, it's jumped up to 19.99 now.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Turnquiet posted:

My wife and I are going to iPad it up on Christmas. I gather it is too much a hassle to try to run us both under a single AppleID so we don't have to repurchase $10 apps for each of us on each tablet? I haven't seem much that indicates it is worth the trouble.

Coming from Android this is a a bit of a downer, but I get that devs gotta get paid.
No it's easy to share apps while keeping backups and such separate. My wife and I use the same apple ID so we only buy apps once, but we have different iCloud ID's so we can backup and restore our devices independently. Also home sharing for music and videos; it's pretty easy and more generous than you might think. You can share everything among multiple ios devices -- I think 5 is the max -- with no hassle.

randyest fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 16, 2012

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

tofes posted:

Why do you like it better than Tweetbot?

Something about Tweetbot makes me want to check it all the time, but with Twitterrific I don't feel the need to check it more than a few times a day. I've been looking for something new to try anyway, because I've been using both Tweetbot and Netbot since I joined App.net recently, and sometimes I forget which app I'm even using.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Thanks. I know it's not a big update, but I still lack the iPhone version, so it's like a half-off "Pro" purchase.

Was there at some point a universal 1Password? Because I thought I had that one since I downloaded it on my iPad and iPhone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Was there at some point a universal 1Password? Because I thought I had that one since I downloaded it on my iPad and iPhone.

Yes, the pro version was universal. Before it was iPhone, iPad, and Pro versions but now they're just moving to one universal app. The iCloud snc is pretty nice in case you're the one person out there's that doesn't use Dropbox.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
What does tweetbot or twiterrific get me over the free twitter app? I basically use twitter just to look at my feed and occasionally look at what's trending. I don't dm hardly ever and barely post. so I am the quintessential casual user who doesn't mind the free app but I don't mind paying if it will give me a better experience.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yes, the pro version was universal. Before it was iPhone, iPad, and Pro versions but now they're just moving to one universal app. The iCloud snc is pretty nice in case you're the one person out there's that doesn't use Dropbox.

The worst part about the new 1Password app is that it requires my master password when iOS kills it in the background. The old version used the 4-digit pin you could set if you wanted it to, but the new one always reverts back to requiring the entire password.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

randyest posted:

No it's easy to share apps while keeping backups and such separate. My wife and I use the same apple ID so we only buy apps once, but we have different iCloud ID's so we can backup and restore our devices independently. Also home sharing for music and videos; it's pretty easy and more generous than you might think. You can share everything among multiple ios devices -- I think 5 is the max -- with no hassle.

Yup, my wife and I do the same. I setup her devices with her Apple ID at first, then I go sign out of the store and sign in with mine. That leaves her setup with her own backups, iCloud, iMessage, etc but sharing the same purchases. You can also load purchases from different accounts onto the same device, you just have to enter the appropriate password for the account that bought it during updates.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

maduin posted:

The worst part about the new 1Password app is that it requires my master password when iOS kills it in the background. The old version used the 4-digit pin you could set if you wanted it to, but the new one always reverts back to requiring the entire password.

The iPad one was always like this. Plus have you gone to settings and set up the quick unlock code + how long before it auto locks?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The iPad one was always like this. Plus have you gone to settings and set up the quick unlock code + how long before it auto locks?

Yeah, I've messed with the various settings extensively. The Android version always required the master password too, but my universal version of 1Password 3.x definitely lets me unlock it with only the 4-digit unlock code by turning off auto-lock.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

maduin posted:

The 1password 4 solution is less than great, but I do like their end goal of getting the master password out of the iOS keychain.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

bazaar apparatus posted:

I just wrote entirely too many words about Twitterrific 5 but maybe it'll be helpful to anyone still on the fence.

Nice post, thanks for the suggestion! I was set on TweetBot for quite some time but this simplified interface is starting to grow on me... Only complaint is that I can't seem to find what's trending.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
One nice new feature of 1password is that random password generating works on the iOS app now. Maybe it was there before, but it's much clearer now.

In general I'm happy to give them 8 bucks since I use the app daily and I want to be on the most secure and up to date version.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Shapur posted:

Nice post, thanks for the suggestion! I was set on TweetBot for quite some time but this simplified interface is starting to grow on me... Only complaint is that I can't seem to find what's trending.

Thanks! I never check what's trending myself, and that's just one more reason why switching away from Tweetbot has been painless. The nice thing is that I can always keep Tweetbot around (probably tucked away in a folder) for the rare occasion I need to do power user stuff.

silloh
Sep 5, 2008
I have a general question about 1Password. I've been thinking about getting a password manager for a while now, but would it be worth it to only get the iOS app without the desktop one? Is it even "usable" without the desktop versions?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

silloh posted:

I have a general question about 1Password. I've been thinking about getting a password manager for a while now, but would it be worth it to only get the iOS app without the desktop one? Is it even "usable" without the desktop versions?

I don't think it would be worth it. You really need to use it everywhere to really be helpful, but if you had to skip one I think you'd be a lot better off using just the desktop version.

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he
I've setup 1password to sync with Dropbox but it only shows a red exclamation. iCloud sync works perfectly though. Anyone else with that issue?

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

bobdigi posted:

I've setup 1password to sync with Dropbox but it only shows a red exclamation. iCloud sync works perfectly though. Anyone else with that issue?

I had this problem, but it was resolved when I pressed the "sync again" button in settings.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

bazaar apparatus posted:

Thanks! I never check what's trending myself, and that's just one more reason why switching away from Tweetbot has been painless. The nice thing is that I can always keep Tweetbot around (probably tucked away in a folder) for the rare occasion I need to do power user stuff.

Honestly, I don't think I'm a Twitter "power user," but I would have a hard time switching to another client. Tweetbot's UI just seems so well put together and I love the automatic syncing between my iOS and OSX Twitter feeds.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

bazaar apparatus posted:

I've kept Tweetbot around for a few things as well, although I've found myself going back to it less and less as time goes on. However, there's definitely still a few more features I'd really like to see out of Twitterific that don't seem like they would be too difficult to implement..
- Push notifications
- Absolute timestamps
- List modification
- Save as draft
- Customizable link colors

tofes posted:

Honestly, I don't think I'm a Twitter "power user," but I would have a hard time switching to another client. Tweetbot's UI just seems so well put together and I love the automatic syncing between my iOS and OSX Twitter feeds.

Twitterific does appear to sync with their OSX client, I haven't tried it but the iOS app offers a few options on how you'd like it presented and updated. I've always used Osfoora for OSX and now that I look at it, the Tweetbot UI does seem the nicest by far although I still can't bring myself to fork over the $20 when 90% of my time on Twitter comes from the phone...

Shapur fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 17, 2012

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an app useful for trip planning?

I'm going to NYC for a week in April, so want to add loads of places I want to go to, contact details for where I'm staying, transfer details etc. Anyone know of a good all-in-one that'll handle all of this for me? Integration with maps and all that would be great (and non-reliant on 3G if possible for locally stored data)

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Shapur posted:

I've kept Tweetbot around for a few things as well, although I've found myself going back to it less and less as time goes on. However, there's definitely still a few more features I'd really like to see out of Twitterific that don't seem like they would be too difficult to implement..
- Push notifications
- Absolute timestamps
- List modification
- Save as draft
- Customizable link colors

Twitterific does appear to sync with their OSX client, I haven't tried it but the iOS app offers a few options on how you'd like it presented and updated. I've always used Osfoora for OSX and now that I look at it, the Tweetbot UI does seem the nicest by far although I still can't bring myself to fork over the $20 when 90% of my time on Twitter comes from the phone...

It bears repeating: don't get attached to third-party twitter clients. Twitter is attempting to slowly put them out of business. Several developers have hit the new user caps and found out that by "talk to us if you hit the cap (maybe we can work something out)" twitter meant "go gently caress yourself".

Twitter is profitable but in order to IPO and make a gajillion dollars for the venture capital firm that funded them, they need to be insanely profitable. That means more ads, user tracking, etc. That means tightly controlling the client experience.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Ender.uNF posted:

It bears repeating: don't get attached to third-party twitter clients. Twitter is attempting to slowly put them out of business. Several developers have hit the new user caps and found out that by "talk to us if you hit the cap (maybe we can work something out)" twitter meant "go gently caress yourself".

Twitter is profitable but in order to IPO and make a gajillion dollars for the venture capital firm that funded them, they need to be insanely profitable. That means more ads, user tracking, etc. That means tightly controlling the client experience.

This is all very true, sadly. I wouldn't even mind all that much, except that Twitter's own clients are pretty terrible compared to their 3rd-party counterparts.

Thankfully, I've got an App.net account I can switch over to entirely if Twitter cuts all 3rd-party support.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

The pHo posted:

I'm going to NYC for a week in April, so want to add loads of places I want to go to, contact details for where I'm staying, transfer details etc. Anyone know of a good all-in-one that'll handle all of this for me? Integration with maps and all that would be great (and non-reliant on 3G if possible for locally stored data)

Kayak pro is good for keeping all your reservations in one place and it organizes everything by trip. You forward all your email confirmations to kayak and it all shows up in the appropriate trip in the app. I really like using it.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

The pHo posted:

I like TripIt for this. It also supports scanning your inbox for reservation confirmations to automatically update the app if you're comfortable with that.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kenny Logins posted:

Didn't see Goodreader in the OP yet.

Goodreader certainly is excellent, and if someone uses their iPad for uni or whatnot it's probably the #1 app they should have.

It also shows just how handy a traditional filesystem can be on a device like an iOS

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Do any Paprika users have sources for full on recipe collections? I got the app on a whim this weekend and I suck at tracking down recipes I would like to make. If anyone has a pre-built one they could share I would appreciate it.

Related what other cooking apps are good for a pretty novice cook? I like the Jamie Oliver one and am going to try a couple of the freebie recipes before I buy any of his packs but it looks pretty slick.

I have "how to cook everything" (iPhone only) and it's good but fairly overwhelming there are so many recipes in there.

Something that can get me into planning meals for a week or something would be ideal.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Do any Paprika users have sources for full on recipe collections? I got the app on a whim this weekend and I suck at tracking down recipes I would like to make. If anyone has a pre-built one they could share I would appreciate it.

Related what other cooking apps are good for a pretty novice cook? I like the Jamie Oliver one and am going to try a couple of the freebie recipes before I buy any of his packs but it looks pretty slick.

I have "how to cook everything" (iPhone only) and it's good but fairly overwhelming there are so many recipes in there.

Something that can get me into planning meals for a week or something would be ideal.

Epicurious is probably really good for you. It's a giant collection of recipes based on main ingredients/meal type/difficulty/etc.

Paprika is more for storing your own recipes or ones you've found and want to save.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Cool, I will check that one out. I'm sure Paprika will come in handy eventually (it's a nice app) but I just need something to get going with, really.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I've just cheked the OP and didn't read anything about good lists apps, can anybody recommend me good ones please? I don't really need it to be extremely complex.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Clear's my personal favourite but some people have problems with it being too simple.

Billa posted:

I don't really need it to be extremely complex.
But it doesn't sound like that's too much of an issue.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Can anyone confirm how good the new google maps is for Transit and directions around NYC? Only reason I haven't upgraded to iOS6 was Transit and Maps. Now that its back has me contemplating. Pros/Cons?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

bows1 posted:

Can anyone confirm how good the new google maps is for Transit and directions around NYC? Only reason I haven't upgraded to iOS6 was Transit and Maps. Now that its back has me contemplating. Pros/Cons?

It's using the same data, so shouldn't it be the same?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
So maybe this is why I kept getting error messages when trying to download Google Maps minutes after launch: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/12/17/google-maps-downloaded-10m-times-in-first-48-hours-on-ios-app-store

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

bows1 posted:

I use The Transit App and it's wonderful. Google maps was always (and still is) pretty poor for public transit because it doesn't use realtime data.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

bows1 posted:

Googlemaps is a little iffy because it doesn't take into account delays or subway closures.

Use either Hopstop (my personal favorite) or Embark NYC.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

marmot25 posted:

I use The Transit App and it's wonderful. Google maps was always (and still is) pretty poor for public transit because it doesn't use realtime data.

This app looks great but it doesn't have the Twin Cities on it, so gently caress this app.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

This app looks great but it doesn't have the Twin Cities on it, so gently caress this app.

came here to post this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Billa posted:

I've just cheked the OP and didn't read anything about good lists apps, can anybody recommend me good ones please? I don't really need it to be extremely complex.

Wunderlist2 is released later today and that looks very good. For now I'm using google tasks combined with the Gtasks pro app.

But Wunderlist was very good, looking forward to what this second offering is like.

• Locked thread