Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I got my copy of Lufia 2 from the Nintendoage forums for $50, but it took a while to find a seller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Before using ebay, I'd make sure to scour your local craigslist and even put up ads. You'd be surprised what's lurking in peoples' garages.

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

The local retro store has a pretty large library of PS2 games for sale. What are some overlooked/underappreciated games I should look out for to play with my new setup?

There is a thread for this very topic which has several treasures if you haven't seen it yet. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495364

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Does the Genesis have any sort of region coding like modern games do? If I do start buying things up on Ebay or wherever, should I watch out for games from different countries?

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Unfortunately the blurring is because of it being an LCD, and a scaler won't do anything for that.

I'm very OCD but I can't use LCD with classic consoles because I notice the motion blur (blurring you are referring to) no matter how fast the response time it has advertised. I think the only LCD ever that I am not able to see it on is the iPhone and iPad. OLED (the Vita and my GP2X Wiz) do not have any motion blur, either. Plasma has 0 blurring as well (some very faint, different kind only with black and white games like Mad World) but I don't expect you to buy a new TV or anything.

Let me guess: you also notice it in other games with very flat graphics? My friend's LCD is a very good one and I don't notice it with something like Halo but it's immediately noticeable (to me) when he puts on Super Paper Mario (even though it's being emulated at 1080p from his HTPC via Dolphin). It's the flat graphics that make it stick out like a sore thumb.

I think it's worth noting that there's different ways that LCDs introduce blurring. One of the ways is the simple lag that's apparent in every LCD ever produced. Depending on the display technology (within LCD) there's a wide variety of display lag. Your average will likely have a PVA or MVA panel. It has great viewing angles (as a TV should), but a generally slow refresh rate.

Jumping over to computer monitors, some use PVA/MVA panels, but the predominant panel technologies are TN and IPS. IPS panels are a little faster than PVA/MVA. They have great viewing angles with good color reproduction. Refresh rate will likely be about 8 milliseconds or so. TN panels are the cheapest panels, but also the fastest, with most nowadays at 2 milliseconds. Viewing angles aren't spectacular, and color reproduction is ok at best.

That's just the lag introduced by the display itself. There'll be further lag introduced by the display actually processing the video itself (this really only applies to TVs, since computer monitors don't typically come with RCA/Svideo). And not only that, some TVs just introduce new artifacts and general bluriness into the video that shouldn't be there.

And that's what a video processor like the xrgb does. It takes the input video and processes it separately from the TV's processor so the TV can just output that signal.

It's something you'd have to experience in person to actually understand. Just seeing pictures don't really do justice, and I'm not sure if I can capture what I'm talking about via a video camera.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

crazkylo posted:

Does the Genesis have any sort of region coding like modern games do? If I do start buying things up on Ebay or wherever, should I watch out for games from different countries?

Yeah, Mega Drive games are shaped differently to begin with, and if I recall correctly, also have a "FOR USE WITH (blank) SYSTEMS ONLY" warning even if you were to get around that. I hear a good way to play import games on a Genesis is to use a Game Genie but I can't personally vouch for that.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Santa's bounty came today! JJJJJS hit me up with a beautifully wrapped collection of gifts, and an old VHS rental case:

The packages instructed me open them in order and far be it for me to not follow orders blindly. I supposed I had to get the required EA Sports joke gift out of the way so I might as well start ther-

:siren:HOLY poo poo IT'S TERRANIGMA:siren:

There's really no reason to go on after such an incredible gift (or for JJJJJS to hit me up with anything else) but there's three more gifts left and it would seem rude to ignore them and just play Terranigma for the rest of the evening...

He really did tie a bow, but I had to untie the bow to see what was written on the card... Catch-22!

I guess SD cards are retro... I mean, if JJJJJS really wanted to go retro, he could have dropped a CF card on my lap.

JJJJJS must be smarter than me, because I'm still not sure what's going on...

The CD says "SD Loader" but the jewel case's spine says Jackass 1+2, so this thing could really be anything.

For some reason, the shape of this last package is very familiar to me... maybe too familiar?

Oh hey, a Dreamcast... thanks? I'm not sure if you've heard, but I have like a billion of these things laying around my house. But I can always use another Dreamcast, and with all the EGG talk it seems like a good way to test this beast out...

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW! :ms: You magnificent bastard.

In all honesty, when I opened the DC wrapping I expected to see one of these things taped to it, so this totally blew me out of the water.

Dat rear end.

Thanks so much, JJJJJS! This is an absolutely incredible collection of gifts.

---

Update: It appears that the USPS is this year's Scrooge and somehow managed to rattle something loose in the DC... every time I turn it on, the video cuts out after a few seconds regardless of whether I'm using VGA or component :(

On the plus side, Terranigma is running like a champ and will undoubtedly eat up my entire vacation :)

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 18, 2012

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

Uncle Jenkins posted:

I hear a good way to play import games on a Genesis is to use a Game Genie but I can't personally vouch for that.

Sort of. Earlier titles run with no difficulty but later titles come into problems with regional settings. Bare Knuckle 1 works fine whereas 2 will refuse to load. Gunstar Heroes, TMNT: Return of the Shredder and Rocket Knight Adventures are some of the more prominent titles that cannot be played on a vanilla Genesis with a Game Genie. There are still tons that work fine, like Curse, Super Hang On, Double Dragon II: The Revenge and both years of Joe Montana Football :toot:.

... Yeah, those were part of a random lot. I also have Nobunaga's Ambition which is super incomprehensible as the extent of my written Japanese is 'yes' and 'no' :downs:.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sir_Seth posted:

poo poo, that sucks. Being able to play my GC and PS1/2 without having to deal with the horrible blurring caused by LCD screens without having to get a bulky old CRT TV is really the only reason I'm considering getting the XRGB mini.

Is there any other option I should consider? Preferably something cheaper?

Also I'd like to hear anyone elses experience with using the XRGB mini for yesteryear 3D console systems.

I am going to run a bunch of tests for you this week
Don't discount the mini just yet.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sir_Seth posted:

poo poo, that sucks. Being able to play my GC and PS1/2 without having to deal with the horrible blurring caused by LCD screens without having to get a bulky old CRT TV is really the only reason I'm considering getting the XRGB mini.

Is there any other option I should consider? Preferably something cheaper?

Also I'd like to hear anyone elses experience with using the XRGB mini for yesteryear 3D console systems.

Edit: double post

Zenintrude that haul is incredible! Jjjjjjjjjs rocks

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Update: It appears that the USPS is this year's Scrooge and somehow managed to rattle something loose in the DC... every time I turn it on, the video cuts out after a few seconds regardless of whether I'm using VGA or component :(

On the plus side, Terranigma is running like a champ and will undoubtedly eat up my entire vacation :)

Glad it all got there. The DC looks like a power supply issue. Sometimes the pins which connect the power supply to the main pcb can have issues. Or it could be the supply itself. I can send another power supply board along if you'd like, it's an easy replacement.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Speaking of Genesis games is there any reason why Valis games are far more expensive than others? Trying to find a complete copy for cheap seems to be non-existant.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

I could be wrong, but I thought Terranigma only got a PAL and Japanese release. Is this a reproduction?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

the wizards beard posted:

I could be wrong, but I thought Terranigma only got a PAL and Japanese release. Is this a reproduction?

Yes

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

the wizards beard posted:

Yup, made lovingly by JJJJJS himself :3:

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

al-azad posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho and Alien Soldier are probably the most expensive must-have Genesis titles (not counting the holy grail Tetris).

What? The Mega Drive (Genesis) Yuu Yuu Hakusho isn't that expensive or rare (it's uncommon) and I wouldn't call it a 'must have' game. There's a lot of much better, rarer Mega Drive titles if you go in to the Japanese-only side.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crimson Harvest posted:

The local retro store has a pretty large library of PS2 games for sale. What are some overlooked/underappreciated games I should look out for to play with my new setup?

First of all, if you don't care about the cases go the Gamestop website. It's buy 2 get 2 free for PS2 games and they have several hundred for $2 each. Get an order that's more than $25 before discount and you get free shipping. Because of how they calculate the discount you shouldn't mix pricing in an order (getting four $4 games and four $2 games costs $16 instead of $12). You can fill up your PS2 collection very quickly there.

Second, use that drive to play import games. You'll have to install them across the network adapter but it's time to start buying arm loads of stuff from Japan.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

zenintrude posted:

That is the coolest thing. This thread is full of awesome people. Sucks about the DC getting knocked around but it sounds like a fairly easy fix.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously, Terranigma alone would have been an incredible gift. But man I am legit jealous of that Dreamcast.

JJJJJS, what did you do? Buy that SD2DC thingy that normally goes in the serial port and you just internally mounted it or something?

How is it for running actual DC games?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Random Stranger posted:

First of all, if you don't care about the cases go the Gamestop website. It's buy 2 get 2 free for PS2 games and they have several hundred for $2 each. Get an order that's more than $25 before discount and you get free shipping. Because of how they calculate the discount you shouldn't mix pricing in an order (getting four $4 games and four $2 games costs $16 instead of $12). You can fill up your PS2 collection very quickly there.
Actually even if you care about the cases you should still take advantage of the sale.

Gamestop employees don't throw out those boxes they're told to get rid of, they keep the empty boxes and sell them in lots for around 15 dollars for 20 covered DVD cases. It's also not uncommon to find lots of just the covers themselves and missing the PS2 case. There also always the option of just printing the covers from source images yourself. Either way you're maybe paying at most 3 dollars extra at the absolute most to just reaquire the cover.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

zenintrude posted:

I'm trying to learn how to make repros myself, but I want to be sure I can make one before I start buying an eprom programmer and chips.

Basically on every tutorial I see, they just start rewiring everything without explaining why it needs to rewired, and why some games are rewired differently. I know some of the rewiring is because the pinout of the maskrom and eprom are different, but still confusing.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My Santee's main thing came today, so I packed up the box and I'll be shipping it out tomorrow.

In the bought for myself news, I scored a headphone adapter for my gba. That has to be one of the biggest design flaws ever.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fatpat268 posted:

Hmm, weird. I try to keep mine as stock looking as possible. I originally followed this guide:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Replacing-a-CR2032-snes-cart-battery/?ALLSTEPS

That's weird. As soon as I pulled the tab on the positive side to make it fit through the hole it ripped the top part right off.

I soldered the battery holder right to the opposite side. No cutting, no bending. And hell, I personally think it looks even better since the battery is looking at ya as soon as you open it up!

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
drat you, JJJJJs. You're making us all look bad. :(

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
It took a little longer than I wanted, but my Santee's stuff was wrapped and dropped in the mail today. Hope they like it. :ohdear:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Oh poo poo, my santa is Hamburglar :aaaaa:

Oh gently caress, the best PS1 shooter ever.

I completely forgot we were supposed to trade controllers Hamburglar. You'll be getting a six button genesis controller soon.

(SNES with sony encoder and digital audio mod)

:aaaaa:

Best christmas ever (Well, next to the one where my grandma got me my first NES, but close). All of these are going to be well used. Thanks a ton Hamburglar.

(Also, did you lace the packing material with catnip? The cats are going nuts)

HKR fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 18, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

Oh poo poo, my santa is Hamburglar :aaaaa:

I completely forgot we were supposed to trade controllers Hamburglar. You'll be getting a six button genesis controller soon.

:aaaaa:

Best christmas ever (Well, next to the one where my grandma got me my first NES, but close). All of these are going to be well used. Thanks a ton Hamburglar.

(Also, did you lace the packing material with catnip? The cats are going nuts)

You can't really read the letter so people don't know why that SNES is so special!

Also I was doing your secret Santa and the YOSPOS one at the same time; and yep: the YOPOS gift contained the CAT DRUGS brand catnip sold in SA mart. My cats were going nuts for DAYS after it shipped.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

You can't really read the letter so people don't know why that SNES is so special!

Also I was doing your secret Santa and the YOSPOS one at the same time; and yep: the YOPOS gift contained the CAT DRUGS brand catnip sold in SA mart. My cats were going nuts for DAYS after it shipped.

Oh yeah, edited that to reflect it's a "Miyamoto's RGB NES Brand SNES" (You should get stickers with this on it).

That catnip is some good poo poo then, gonna have to buy a bag.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I look forward to your opinion on the visual quality upgrade from your current SNES! Especially since I noticed you said you saw the vertical line in your old one and it bothered you.

Do you have an audio receiver with optical by any chance?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I look forward to your opinion on the visual quality upgrade from your current SNES! Especially since I noticed you said you saw the vertical line in your old one and it bothered you.

I'll be hooking that badboy up tonight and playing with Super Metroid and FF6. As for audio, right now all my receivers are from the 70s so I don't have digital, however I had been planning on picking up a late 90s/early 2000s AV receiver for my retrogames setup so I'll be using that soon.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

I'll be hooking that badboy up tonight and playing with Super Metroid and FF6. As for audio, right now all my receivers are from the 70s so I don't have digital, however I had been planning on picking up a late 90s/early 2000s AV receiver for my retrogames setup so I'll be using that soon.

Awesome! Even my 2002 receiver with nothing but composite and s-video has a digital audio port. I recommend Onkyo!

Can't wait to hear your impressions on the visual quality :allears:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

HKR posted:

God drat. This is my favorite game that ever happened for the PS1, no lies.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
As someone who just recently started following this thread, these Secret Santa presents are very intimidating.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Speaking of which... I notice the vertical line as well, but only in super metroid. And even then, doesn't even bother me much.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fatpat268 posted:

Speaking of which... I notice the vertical line as well, but only in super metroid. And even then, doesn't even bother me much.

Ah so that's what not having OCD must be like. :frogbon:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Ah so that's what not having OCD must be like. :frogbon:

I've never sympathized with a use of :frogbon: more

(Also does anyone who visits this thread need/want a 4MB Saturn RAM cart? I have an extra now!)

(edit: what connector is this on the EMS version of the Saturn Action Replay Plus, and can you do anything with it now, like transferring save files? http://segaretro.org/Action_Replay_Plus)

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 18, 2012

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
So today I got a package in the mail from Canada. Hmm, that's odd...I don't recall buying anything that would ship from there. Could it be?

It's from Santa! Can I...can I get a gift receipt with that dildo? :ohdear: Inside the box we have...

A gift adorned with adorable skiing robots! What could it be?

:frogsiren: Holy poo poo! :frogsiren: After Burner, Rastan, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, and mother fuckin' Phantasy Star and Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap! My incredibly mediocre SMS collection has nearly doubled in size and septupled in quality!

Thanks a ton, Midge, both for the awesome gift and setting this all up! :neckbeard: Can't wait 'till next year!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Cicero posted:

As someone who just recently started following this thread, these Secret Santa presents are very intimidating.

It's making me seriously glad I didn't participate. To feel like I kept up with the gift giving here I'd have to have dug into my own collection. :sigh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fatpat268 posted:

Thanks to this thread I've started noticing it in Game Center CX episodes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Panic Restaurant posted:

:frogsiren: Holy poo poo! :frogsiren: After Burner, Rastan, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, and mother fuckin' Phantasy Star and Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap! My incredibly mediocre SMS collection has nearly doubled in size and septupled in quality!

Thanks a ton, Midge, both for the awesome gift and setting this all up! :neckbeard: Can't wait 'till next year!

I don't know if you've ever played Phantasy Star before, but if you haven't, here's a pro-tip:Graph Paper. You'll need tons.

• Locked thread