Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

How well does a sniper rifle work with lots of anarchy, by the way?

100/400 (600 with Slayer of Terramorphous) is actually a modest amount, and you'd be surprised how well you can still headshot things with a Buffalo gun if they're within 50 paces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I wish this game didn't instantly assume you want to turn in a quest to someone the instant you talk to them. I totally forgot I was on the caustic caverns quest and accidentally spoke with Marcus instead of hitting the quick shop button on him. Did the same stupid thing in playthrough 1 too. So again, instead of that crazy good shotgun I got that trash relic that makes stores reset faster. As if I can't just quit and re-enter the game to make stores reset their terrible loot. Argh.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
So, with PT 2 complete, what guns are worth making a beeline for in PT 2.5 that don't require a ridiculous amount of grinding (such as Infinity or Cobra)? In other words, what are everyone's MUST HAVE guns?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Professor Moriarty posted:

So, with PT 2 complete, what guns are worth making a beeline for in PT 2.5 that don't require a ridiculous amount of grinding (such as Infinity or Cobra)? In other words, what are everyone's MUST HAVE guns?

The Bee is still probably the most important item to grind but you'll probably want to start off doing side quests. Flame of the Firehawk is the easiest legendary to get but you'll also want to do quests for the fibber, Ruby, Lady Fist, Buffalo, Pimpernel and Sand Hawk. Doing the Pirate's Booty main quest is a good way to get a load of treasure as well.

Edit: look up items on a wiki to find which quests to complete: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Borderlands_Wiki

Edit2: I really like the Hail but I find the Bandit Slaughter to be a major pain. The Evil Smasher is great if you don't mind using glitches to make yourself overpowered.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 16, 2012

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Professor Moriarty posted:

Even with the semi-nerf to the Bee I still really love the Slagga. Even without the bee damage (or now that it's split across the three bullets it fires instead of each getting the bonus) you still almost have a guaranteed slag every time you hit someone with it. That assumes you killed the hillbillies in the clan war quest though.

Also the best non legendary rocket launcher (which most are a pain to get) is probably the 12 pounder you can get from killing Big Sleep in the first DLC. May take a few times but it's far easier to farm than most.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

I'm in play through 2 right now. Am I correct in understanding that 2.5 will not reset quests so I'm best off avoiding any side quests with decent rewards until then or is it fine to do whatever because 2.5 starts from the beginning?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Metal Meltdown posted:

I'm in play through 2 right now. Am I correct in understanding that 2.5 will not reset quests so I'm best off avoiding any side quests with decent rewards until then or is it fine to do whatever because 2.5 starts from the beginning?

The former is correct.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

The former is correct.

drat, that's what I thought. Will it only penalize me if I complete the quest or will even accepting it cause it to no longer scale?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Metal Meltdown posted:

drat, that's what I thought. Will it only penalize me if I complete the quest or will even accepting it cause it to no longer scale?

Even accepting it causes them to not scale, so just completely ignore it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Metal Meltdown posted:

Quest levels are pegged to the level you take them at. So if you've already got them in your log, you're kind of screwed. The only exception would be chain quests, where the followup quests scale up after you've turned in the initial quest. Like if you have first firehawk quest still showing level 35 or whatever, that's OK, because it chains into a few more so you can still get the level 50 version of the shield at the end.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm working on a list of quests that may be good to save for PT2.5.

Non-DLC:
Cult Following: The Enkindling (Flame of the Firehawk)
Splinter Group (RokSalt)
You Are Cordially Invited: Tea Party (Teapot)
Bandit Slaughter (5?) (Hail)
Won't Get Fooled Again (Law)
The Overlooked: This is Only a Test (Deadly Bloom)
Best Mother's Day Ever (Love Thumper)
Rakkaholics Anonymous (Rubi)
Animal Rights (Tresspasser)
Demon Hunter (Buffalo)
The Chosen One (Evil Smasher)
BFFs (Order)

Late non-DLC, may be level 50 in PT2:
A Real Boy: Human (Fibber)
Uncle Teddy (Lady Fist)

DLC1:
Whoops (Sand Hawk)
Don't Copy That Floppy (Pimpernel)

I'm still working on adding to this.

vvvvvv That makes sense, I'll keep them in as a reference but note that they may be L50 in PT2. vvvvvv

Poque fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 16, 2012

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
You probably shouldn't include any quests that are late enough in the game to be level 50 anyway. For example, A Real Boy: Human and Uncle Teddy.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
If you need levels, though, feel free to do any quests where the reward is Eridium, a head/skin, money, or just XP. Even if you don't pick up a quest you can still see the rewards in the quest log.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
How likely is it that the DLCs will go on sale this Steam sale? I'm still not totally sure I want them, but a decent price drop would probably sway me.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lynx Winters posted:

If you need levels, though, feel free to do any quests where the reward is Eridium, a head/skin, money, or just XP. Even if you don't pick up a quest you can still see the rewards in the quest log.

You'll almost definitely need to do a few of these.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Thanks for the information everyone. I'll just be dodging quests with any sort of blue reward until I hit play-through 2.5. It'll be interesting to mostly be blitzing the story, won't be so over-leveled this time.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Captain Foo posted:

You'll almost definitely need to do a few of these.

Even playthrough 1 can get pretty drat tough if you don't do any sidequests. Playthrough 2 would be hell.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I'm sorry if this has been answered before in the thread, but it has gotten pretty huge and the OP hasn't updated in forever. :shobon:

I've been playing around a little bit with Gibbed's save editor to make sure I'm at the same level as my friends (with weapons scaled, which is awesome) when we play together.
It works great and is really easy to use, but that's where my familiarity ends with it.

If I'd like to create a specific class mod, or just the "Slagga"-SMG - is there a handy guide or list of what parts to use to make it work?
My dabbling so far has ended with the items not even appearing in the game. :(

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
First step: Use the most recent version.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

apophenium posted:

How likely is it that the DLCs will go on sale this Steam sale? I'm still not totally sure I want them, but a decent price drop would probably sway me.

I'm sure the first one will. Perhaps the second one, but I wouldn't count on it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Lamquin posted:

If I'd like to create a specific class mod, or just the "Slagga"-SMG - is there a handy guide or list of what parts to use to make it work?
My dabbling so far has ended with the items not even appearing in the game. :(

I used this site as a guideline:
http://thegearcalculator.appspot.com/

It's a little buggy since you can't check to see if you made a legal relic and some stats show up incorrectly. Also, you can't import directly from the site to the save editor like the setup I used for Borderlands 1.

With the exception of relics and the manufacturer property, though, gibbed's editor can alert you if the item has an illegal combination of parts.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Just did the natural selection dome and had Venomorphous morph from the ultimate badass varkid that spawns in part 2. Was basically like "oh poo poo" and "hell yes" at the same time since I couldn't just run back in to kill him if I died during the round. Luckily I was able to abuse his lovely AI to kill him.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Also, Gunzerking with Hyperion shotguns is an awesome idea.

This. A million times this! With Inconceivable + 5 Shots or 6 + Keep Firing... you're just a wall of buckshot killing. It's ridiculous.

Their first shot usually recoils you all over the place though.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Has Gearbox mentioned anything yet about when the Big Game Hunt will be released? Gonna bet that it's not tomorrow after all, since they tend to at least MENTION something about it a few days in advance, but they DID promise to release it before the end of the world, so augh.

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he
Here's a code you don't wanna miss out on.

PC/Mac: WT5TB-XC5ZC-CX3T3-BBT3B-B35WB

Good for 5 golden keys.

Edit:
Xbox 360: W3KTJ-FZ9CS-XS6BR-K6JJ3-XCFXT
PS3: WTWBJ-HKZ9C-TCCWB-ZT5JJ-6HRZS

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Edward IV posted:

With the exception of relics and the manufacturer property, though, gibbed's editor can alert you if the item has an illegal combination of parts.
All manufacturers are considered legal since they don't validate it, it however, will show you what is normally used in the dropdown. What do you mean about relics though? That should definitely showing you what is considered illegal.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Technique posted:

Has Gearbox mentioned anything yet about when the Big Game Hunt will be released? Gonna bet that it's not tomorrow after all, since they tend to at least MENTION something about it a few days in advance, but they DID promise to release it before the end of the world, so augh.
Really though they can release it whenever and it will still be before the end of the world

Unrelated question: I've seen reference to being able to reset your badass challenges to earn more tokens after you complete 85% of the game. Where can you do that? Whenever I Google anything about resetting badass challenges I just get a bunch of forum posts about the old bug of disappearing rankings.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Knormal posted:

Really though they can release it whenever and it will still be before the end of the world

Unrelated question: I've seen reference to being able to reset your badass challenges to earn more tokens after you complete 85% of the game. Where can you do that? Whenever I Google anything about resetting badass challenges I just get a bunch of forum posts about the old bug of disappearing rankings.

You can reset them once you've completed 85% of the non-dlc/non-area challenges.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lima posted:

You can reset them once you've completed 85% of the non-dlc/non-area challenges.
Oh, challenges, not story. Welp, guess it's time to grind. I assume a button then shows up on the challenge screen or something?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

gibbed posted:

All manufacturers are considered legal since they don't validate it, it however, will show you what is normally used in the dropdown. What do you mean about relics though? That should definitely showing you what is considered illegal.

Among the six values you can choose from (Alpha through Zeta), you can only choose a few to enable (three is the most I've ever seen) and apparently only a few specific combinations are legal. If you have an illegal combination, the game will automatically delete it upon loading the save file. Since neither the editor nor the gear calculator can check for that, one would have to resort to trial and error, modifying a relic you already found (although it still requires trial and error if you want to make changes beyond increasing the bonus values), or looking online to see if anyone posted the code for a legitimate relic. I ended up doing the latter for relics that I don't have.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 18, 2012

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah they're very specific in a way the gear calculator/editor doesn't show. I found that out the hard way when I was trying to make an allegiance relic - they require a particular ArtifactType and only work with one or two effects or they get removed on load. Crushed my dreams of using a damage/fire rate/reload speed relic :(

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Knormal posted:

Oh, challenges, not story. Welp, guess it's time to grind. I assume a button then shows up on the challenge screen or something?

I'm not there myself yet, but that's what I've heard :)

HugePinball
Oct 9, 2012

Knormal posted:

Yup, here's what it looks like (note the [E] Reset at the bottom):

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Ooh. My client is downloading updates.

Either a patch or the dlc were just released.

False alarm. Game goofed out.

Lima fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 19, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Lima posted:

Ooh. My client is downloading updates.

Either a patch or the dlc were just released.

I hope it is what I think it is! :neckbeard:

... Oh crap, I have a party to go to tonight.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Are you sure there's a patch? I'm not getting anything even after restarting Steam.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Are you sure there's a patch? I'm not getting anything even after restarting Steam.

I've been stuck downloading updates for about half an hour now. Perhaps I'm just stuck :downs:
Do you have the season pass?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah. I don't think there'd be a DLC coming out without any sort of announcement. Even the Echocast twitter account is still set to Mister Torgue and not Hammerlock.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah. I don't think there'd be a DLC coming out without any sort of announcement. Even the Echocast twitter account is still set to Mister Torgue and not Hammerlock.

Which is the way it should be. Torgue should permanently have control of it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
because I haven't seen them posted here, here's what the heads from the upcoming DLC look like: http://imgur.com/a/fdt7P

• Locked thread