Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Man, I'd be perpetually upset too if someone cut my hair that badly.

Unless she just cannot sit still in the barber's chair, I imagine it's *probably* that she cuts her own hair and this is what happens when a perpetual nervous wreck gets a pair of scissors.

...Or, if her reason for liking toilets actually *is* because of the earlier speculation that bullying victims find them to be safe havens... Man, that's kind of heinous if some bully *did* this to her out of spite, even worse if tending to her own injuries is what got her those SHSL nurse skills in the first place.

EDIT: drat, someone just beat me to suggesting this, but the statement about her nursing skills stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhauth
Sep 4, 2012
Holy poo poo does Mikan have some bad Social Anxiety Disorder.
Going by her character art, it turns out it's both her being very clumsy and needing to call the police for abuse.
Poor girl.

Given all the bandages on her, but more-so the hair that looks like she cut it herself, I'm guessing that she grew up having to do everything herself, leading to her becoming a gifted nurse. She'd be pretty good at fixing people up if she had to fix herself up twice a week for falling down the stairs all the time.
It's much more likely that the hair is just anime hair, though, not some hint at her background.

As has been said, the "I like toilets" could very well be from bullying - or perceived bullying. She does break down into tears for no visible reason, so she could believe that people are bullying her when they're really not. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's just as possible that the social anxiety disorder came first and makes her think everyone hates her, as it is that the social anxiety disorder came as a result of people bullying her.

The "I don't like things that are too big" part is just a complete mystery, though.

Don't worry, guys, if anything happens, Ibuki will hear it! Her ears are just as good as Van Gogh's! :pseudo:

As for the people saying "She won't last, so far she's just a joke character": Hagakure. That is all.

Not-Naegi's giving me more of a "morbid sense of humor" vibe than a "secretly evil" vibe. I mean, he did get kidnapped and forced into murder games by Mickey Mouse - TWICE. Err, once. He's TOTALLY not Naegi.
Plus, there's how he immediately says "It's not good to make girls cry, Hinata" whenever Mikan cried, even though Hinata hadn't done anything.

Zhauth fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 18, 2012

Omni Dragoon
Dec 18, 2012

Did you see that, Shinji?!
Maybe it's just the massive case of bedhead, but something about Nagito reminds me of Garry from IB. It's probably just appearance, though. I like his morbid dialog, it makes it seem like he'll be important later on.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Waitaminute... there, on the bottom of the vending machine. Is that... :stare:

Hinata's right to be paranoid. There's something fishy about this "peaceful tropical vacation". Usami might not be as benevolent as she appears on the surface.

Holy crap, this lady's got issues. After all, she can't even talk to people without bursting into tears. If this vacation ends up turning into another murder-filled despair game, she'll probably snap like a twig or turn out to be secretly psychotic like Fukawa.

Then again, medical skills are a useful talent. She's just as likely to end up patching someone up from an attempted murder.

The SHSL Musician looks pretty interesting, as well. The "punk rocker" look she's got kind of reminds me of Leon. I'm a bit surprised they didn't pull a gag where she gets sick of music and decides to become a baseball player.

Hopefully she lasts longer than Leon did, at least.

Incidentally, we now have an animal trainer and a musician, both of which were mentioned in one of the developer interviews as Super High-School Level talents that didn't make it into the first game. I wonder if one of the other students on this island is a Super High-School Level Entomologist, since that's the other talent brought up in that interview.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 18, 2012

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Man, a whole lot of people seem to hate Mikan. While I can understand that her personality is irritating, I sort of assume just from seeing her that she's going to have a whole lot of character development over the course of the game (assuming she survives). As a writer, you don't generally set up a character who's literally incapable of conversation with the intent to leave them there.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't wish to be that guy but what's K-on and how come everyone here seems to hate it? Just a trashy anime?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't wish to be that guy but what's K-on and how come everyone here seems to hate it? Just a trashy anime?

It's not really trashy at all. It's a rather tame slice-of-life series that somehow became really popular.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not really trashy at all. It's a rather tame slice-of-life series that somehow became really popular.

Fair enough, "She's a giant K-on reference :argh:" just had me somewhat curious

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Its a show about cute girls doing cute things, cutely. They mostly eat cakes and snacks, but they play music sometimes.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The anime isn't horrible. The creepy fans, however, are another story. I remember seeing a guy boasting about how he knew what color panties each of the girls wear by heart. :stare:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Considering the look, a K-ON! ref is surprising. I had her pegged for this character:

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
I wouldn't be surprised if Mikan and Fukawa were related, given how similar their personalities seem to be. Maybe Mikan even gets her hair done by a certain Genocider? ;)

With the whole "liking toilets" thing, I see that one of two ways, both of which play into her social anxiety. First, she could be bulemic. This would be rather ironic, given her SHSL talent, but hey. Second, she could just appreciate the solitude that the toilet provides. Everyone's spent time in the bathroom reading, texting, or what have you; it's possible she likes to be there because it's a rare opportunity for her to be alone.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Could the "Likes Toilets" thing be a reference to being a SHSL Nurse, perhaps, given that they have to clean said toilets of sick people?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Mikan reminds me a lot of Ryouko Otonashi, so far. They have the same hair texture and facial shape. Both characters laugh at inappropriate times using the same onomatopoeia, and they have low self-esteem and a ridiculous desire to please. Plus Mikan is a nurse and Ryouko is in the neurology building in the chapter we read (although she might be coming to get help with her memory, not to study.)

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Jalathas posted:

Man, a whole lot of people seem to hate Mikan. While I can understand that her personality is irritating, I sort of assume just from seeing her that she's going to have a whole lot of character development over the course of the game (assuming she survives). As a writer, you don't generally set up a character who's literally incapable of conversation with the intent to leave them there.

The writing lays it on extremely thickly, though. She's literally screaming about how much trouble she's having talking to people. Dangan Ronpa has always been over-the-top, but I think her character is really pushing it.

Nagito and Hinata's characterizations that update were great, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jalathas posted:

You ever hear the word "fremdschämen?" That.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

orenronen posted:

Ah, I see. Sorry...
Y...you don't have to apologize, you know.

orenronen posted:

I... don't think I'd get anywhere by asking her, so I guess I'll just hear it from you.
Who is this girl?

But I... I give up.

I'm really liking how this update emphasizes the difference between our two protagonists. Naegi reacts to apologizes-a-lot Chihiro by reassuring her, Hinata just can't be bothered to give a drat. It kinda brings him into direct conflict with the "Hope!" theme this game is going for, which is interesting. Seems to nudge us further in the direction that this game's central conflict won't revolve around some sort of epic hope-despair battle, but rather around some weird perversion of hope/love/fluffiness.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Meme Emulator posted:

Considering the look, a K-ON! ref is surprising. I had her pegged for this character:

But I think we already have the obligatory Jojo reference in SHSL Electric Bancho? It seems like you're really trying to push the Jojo thing.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Kimitsu posted:

But I think we already have the obligatory Jojo reference in SHSL Electric Bancho? It seems like you're really trying to push the Jojo thing.

Its my obsession at the moment, I cant stop myself.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Am I the only one wishing that half the characters don't end up so over the top as the ones we have encountered?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Most of the characters introduced so far seem very difficult to try to converse with.

With the exception of the mechanic, the characters that have been introduced so far are all a bit too gimmicky for my taste.

I also have to wonder how someone can become a Super High School Level Nurse when they seem pathologically incapable of dealing with social situations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Phlegmish posted:

With the exception of the mechanic, the characters that have been introduced so far are all a bit too gimmicky for my taste.
I kind of agree. All the original Dangan Ronpa characters were a bit weird, but at least they seemed like people, even at first glance. Those we've seen so far, though? Not so much.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I kind of agree. All the original Dangan Ronpa characters were a bit weird, but at least they seemed like people, even at first glance. Those we've seen so far, though? Not so much.

Although to be fair to the game, Naegi 2.0 seems like a fairly normal and sociable person, certainly more so than the original Naegi.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

You ever hear the word "fremdschämen?" That.

Holy poo poo I haven't but that is an excellent word for a thing that happens to me. Thanks!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Cardiovorax posted:

Its also interesting to consider that even though we are on page two hundo, its been like... 12 minutes of gameplay. I mean, I know the last thread was popular but maybe we should get a baseline and meet everyone before going off into crazytown speculation canyon.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
The level of knee-jerk in these reactions is incredible. Like none of you read the first LP. Like none of these characters are going to develop in surprising ways.

Maybe ~*quit posting*~ about how you hope these annoying characters die until you've seen more than one scene of dialogue.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Didn't most of the characters in Dangan Ronpa 1 develop in ways that you wouldn't expect from their first impressions? I don't think anyone would've thought the first to attempt murder would have been who she was.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Jalathas posted:

Holy poo poo I haven't but that is an excellent word for a thing that happens to me. Thanks!
German's great for things like that. Got some two concepts that go well together? Mash them together and have yourself a new word! It's like the vanilla coke of languages.

likecnsnnts posted:

The level of knee-jerk in these reactions is incredible. Like none of you read the first LP. Like none of these characters are going to develop in surprising ways.

Maybe ~*quit posting*~ about how you hope these annoying characters die until you've seen more than one scene of dialogue.
Talk about knee-jerk. If me agreeing that the characters introduced seem gimmicky pisses you off this much, maybe you're the one who needs to stop posting for a while. It's just a game.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 18, 2012

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I'm keeping my eyes on Nagito, everyone is wearing some variation of something school related but him (be it club etc). He also just generally seems to know more then a "I googled them before I came here" would.

Also bad guys always wear long coats.

I'm mainly just loving around but I'm curious as to whats going on there.

Unlike a lot of people I'm literally not greatly attracted to any character at the moment.

The coolest part about this game is that its not a desert island but more of a resort.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 18, 2012

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Didn't most of the characters in Dangan Ronpa 1 develop in ways that you wouldn't expect from their first impressions? I don't think anyone would've thought the first to attempt murder would have been who she was.

I agree that many of the characters in DR1 did unexpected things given their stated personalities, but it was usually confined to specific, one-off events and situations. I wouldn't say that's the same as durable character development. Even Naegi just went back to being meek and timid after every trial, up until the very end. That's not necessarily unrealistic, since people's fundamental personalities are obviously resistant to change, but it doesn't bode well for characters that start out as being annoying and/or unrelatable.

Radian Angle
Oct 29, 2012
Previous game made me decide to buy an account.
Manimal man and his three stooges is my favorite character so far.
Someone give him Redmage's hat and a caption of his quote about animal husbandry.

Also who do you think Monobear would vote for?
He mints his own currency supports capital punishment likes gated communities and can be kind of prudent at times.

Also included, a picture of him before he got his full body tribal tattoo:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
I know there's a fair bit of talking about how some of these characters are similar to characters from the first game, but oddly enough, the first thing I thought when we first saw Ibuki, way back in...

This picture, I couldn't help but think of Maizono from DR1 - shortly after she was killed. I think it was the pink everywhere. Either way, this cast is shaping up to be pretty interesting!

Also, if we're allowed to start posting odd theories, I couldn't help but wonder, at first, if this was all going to turn out to be some kind of mass hallucination being experienced by the surviving cast of DR1 - Byakuya is here, as is someone who is obviously very Naegi-esque.

It wouldn't surprise me too much if Hinata turns out to be another SHSL detective, so a Kirigi-ish character would be here - it also sort of makes sense from a gameplay perspective to make the protagonist the SHSL detective, if the difficulty is going to be higher in this game, as it makes it easier to justify not having your hand held by an NPC through cases.

Of course, the idea fell apart slightly when there was no character like Syo. Also the fact that there's a full cast, rather than just the survivors. :v: I'm really looking forwards to seeing where this goes, in any case!

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 18, 2012

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
The nurse doesn't really feel so much of a DR1 parallel, but to the Doctor in Virtue's Last Reward, Luna. Are 'Incredibly Shy Woman Medics' a major archetype in Japanese media? At the very least I grew to like Luna's character a whole lot, so all things willing the same will happen for the SHSL Nurse.

I never really gave K-On my time, but if there's a character like Ibuki in it, I'll watch an episode or two.

It was mentioned in the developer commentary for the last game that the characters were designed like they all came from different genres of media - they've definitely cranked that up to 11 for this. I love it, though.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

likecnsnnts posted:

It's more that three of the four characters we've met so far have been crazy to the point of absurdity. Nobody in DR1 was this ridiculous right off the bat; part of what made them good characters was because they were 'mostly' believable. Sure Yamada was super goony but if you were one of the top doujin writers in Japan you'd probably act that way too. Chihiro was apologetic and meek but he was really quiet at the same time, unlike nurse girl here who talks a ton in between miniature meltdowns. Fukawa was absurd but to be honest I disliked Fukawa for more or less the whole game (Syo notwithstanding). I just hope the next few characters we meet are actually characters instead of running gag machines.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Bongo Bill posted:

Most of the characters introduced so far seem very difficult to try to converse with.

Yeah, they all seem to have their own malfunctions. I don't think these characters are the underclassmen of the original cast, but instead they were part of Hope's Peak's program for Super High-School Level Troubled Students.

C-Euro posted:

Please tell me that someone uses a surfboard as a murder weapon at some point in this game.

That would be rad as gently caress. :tubular:

andthatsalright
Oct 9, 2012
Bought this account to finish reading the first DRLP. Hello, y'all.

That being said, I realized something interesting about Tsumiki's last name. In normal parlance it'd mean "building blocks" (積木), but her version replaces the first character with 罪, which means "sin" or "crime." Not gonna draw any conclusions yet, but since she already gives me the major creeps I wouldn't be too surprised if she plays an antagonistic role later.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
I think my Yandere detector just pinged "yes" on that nurse.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Please tell me that someone uses a surfboard as a murder weapon at some point in this game.

Add the goggles and murder by night-time surfboarding. :krad:

AAAAA
Jun 9, 2006
Smellrose

Captain Bravo posted:

I really hate to kick off the translation talk again, but would it be possible to peg her to a specific instrument? I realize "Light Music Club" is a pretty blatant reference, but it's another one of those things that just doesn't come out right, whereas something like "Guitarist" would carry the same connotations, but trade the reference for a lot of readability. Obviously, if she does everything it wouldn't fit well, but from what we know of her personality so far Guitarist seems like it would be a perfect fit. Punk Rocker might also be a good choice, if her genre fits, since it goes well with the costume. Or maybe I'm just nitpicking and everyone else is fine with it, I dunno! I would like to see the translation notes between you two on that one, though, because I get the feeling Fedule probably had some similar things to say about it. :v:

Would all of you stupid motherfuckers please shut the gently caress up with your asinine goddamn translation ideas

Iunnrais posted:

Would "Glee Club" be a western equivalent to "Light Music Club"?

Why not call Gundam "Terminator" I guess that's the western equivalent I dunno eh maybe well :v: :v: :v: Or maybe I'm just a dumb loving leech trying to cram my garbage personality into a popular thread I DUNNO :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windylion
Oct 9, 2012
Man, I don't know who's going to snap and murder everyone first: Nagito, or Hinata.

Though, so far on meeting the characters, nurse annoys me but musician seems pretty interesting. It'll be cool to see how they develop (assuming they don't die quickly). Also people need to remember this is pretty much the first time we have heard any of these characters talk. Chill out, I'm sure they're going to be more than a gimmick.

• Locked thread