Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, in this scenario doesn't "bad-creepy" work better? I mean, of course it's supposed to be unsettling. And let's not forget this is the same franchise that gave us Mara anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

McDragon posted:

Used him pretty much non-stop since I fused him, tried to prioritise the stat up and level up cards, and at the end of the December dungeon he had 99 in everything. Then it was a case of hunting down the Personas with the skill cards I wanted, and boof.

It probably helped that I also decided I wanted to do all the quests as well. Going round looking for all the crap people wanted got a whole extra bunch of shuffle times.

How does that work? Can you get skill cards out of personas?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spite posted:

Go to Chagall.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Spite posted:

Yeah, after Okina City opens up, you go visit the Cafe, and that makes certain Skills on certain Personas get these little card symbols. You equip the Persona with the card you want, and go visit again, and you get the card, which you can either use or give to Marie.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Maybe I wasn't clear what I meant by 'bad-creepy'. Good creepy is stuff that's supposed to be there, evoked by the thing that's being creepy. Bad creepy is where you go 'the person who wrote this is a creep'.

There's a big difference between a penis monster, or this character who acts the way they do, and adding phrasing that specifically evokes imagery of sexual violence where it's not supposed to be there. Lust in the context of the card calls as much for things like lust for power, lust for life. But if you plonked the card, worded as Lust in there, it'll wholly be read as lust for bitches, so to speak. Hunger means basically the same thing but doesn't lead to a one-note reading based solely on the word.

Spite posted:

Yeah, head to the cafe in Okina. It consumes time.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Oh, godDAMNIT. I was wondering what those cards icon meant. :downs:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Welp, Megidolaon. That's probably going to wipe my whole party...

RISE HAS BLOCKED THE ATTACK

:stare: poo poo is so broken.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
:stare:

Welp! I guess I should be hanging out with Rise some more!

Chie is my girlfriend for this run, shut up.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You don't know the half of it. Remember how Priestess cards in vanilla P4 gave you complete info on all the Shadows' weaknesses and resistances? Imagine having that all the time.

That's Rise's third-tier Persona.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Tier 3 Rise along with Naoto makes the new dungeon really easy, if still long.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

MrAristocrates posted:

Go to Chagall.

I literally figured that out in Dec, when I had nothing to do for a day and decided to raise my Charm, cuz that's how it worked in P3.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
So I just started. Beat P4 original on normal, thought I'd give this a go on Hard...

Spoilers for my roadblock ahead:
So I'm stuck at Shadow Yukiko. Like, road block. The combat is much more enjoyable/high risk than on Normal, but because of that I can't fly through the dungeon like I could before. Between that and the new S. Links and all the new content, I'm stuck on 4/29 and cannot beat her. I'm at level... 13? 14? I can get her down to about... half health? And dispatch the Prince or whatever, but then I just run out of SP/items to keep me chugging. At this point I feel I should just restart, but dammit, I like the level of challenge Hard is giving me at this point...

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy

ShadeofDante posted:

So I just started. Beat P4 original on normal, thought I'd give this a go on Hard...

So I'm stuck at Shadow Yukiko. Like, road block. The combat is much more enjoyable/high risk than on Normal, but because of that I can't fly through the dungeon like I could before. Between that and the new S. Links and all the new content, I'm stuck on 4/29 and cannot beat her. I'm at level... 13? 14? I can get her down to about... half health? And dispatch the Prince or whatever, but then I just run out of SP/items to keep me chugging. At this point I feel I should just restart, but dammit, I like the level of challenge Hard is giving me at this point...

What Personas are you using? You can fuse Senri (Empress) at level 9, which blocks fire.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can also abuse the SOS feature to recharge on a lower level before attempting the boss.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

ShadeofDante posted:

If it isn't too late and you can spare the extra day, or if you can go back to an earlier save, grab some attack items from the shop, specifically the ice and electricity ones. I had 3 of both myself, but more can't hurt. Having Yosuke able to chuck the ice one at Shadow Yukiko gives you 3 chances for an AOA(or just get a meaty physical hit with Chie for the last one), instead of just 2 for the times she doesn't have White Wall up, which is really handy. Bringing some of the group heal items from the pharmacy can't hurt, since it's the best group heal you've got at that point, and helps against Burn to Ashes. You should really only need about 3 or so.

You've probably noticed, but she's also pretty pattern based up until she's only got 25% of her life left. You can use that to set up things to your advantage. Getting a Senri with Rakunda so you can use it on turns the boss uses Burn to Ashes while having Chie apply Tarukaja on your ally of choice(probably herself) the turn the boss does nothing to alert you that Burn to Ashes is the next move sets you up pretty nicely for those big assault rounds. Yosuke is best left to patching up everyone as you see fit, and chucking some group buff items if you've been lucky to pick up some in the dungeon.

You can also try to time your big attack phases with ice attacks into AOAs so she will use her turn to summon the prince, give you some extra time to smack her with her ice weakness. You can also use electric attacks on the prince to keep him out of the picture, or get some AOA opportunities while he's up with her. I believe the prince runs away at half health and I think one of his major focuses is silencing Chie, but don't quote me on that.

Honestly, she really feels a lot easier to kill this time around, mostly because it's not a damage race that the boss is likely going to win, because you really can't keep up with the damage that Burn to Ashes churns out. Having an actual weakness you can exploit helps a ton too.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Also, if you run out of SP grindng and need to refill, just go around killing shadows on floor 1 using only physical attacks, and focus on grabbing Cup cards during shuffle time.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

ShadeofDante posted:

Some of the early bosses on hard can be pretty rough before you're able to create some better Personas. You might be better off going for the game over and being sent back to the beginning of the week if you had waited until the last day to try it. I wasn't able to do the first 2 dungeons in one day on hard.

For items, you can empty out the vending machines for TaP Soda in the south district for 50 Sp in healing, and the sodas in the north (for 25). If that's not going to be enough, you may need to return to previous floors and run away from encounters to gather some Soul Drops/Snuff Souls.

In terms of the actual boss fight, I was level 13 when I beat it. You're likely going to want some Personas that null or resist fire. I both Oberon (Emperor, level 12- resists fire) and Senri (Empress, level 9- nulls fire) that I used fairly heavily during the actual fight. The main character's role was to keep Tarunda and Rakunda up on the boss and then use Arm Chopper on Oberon when they had a long duration. Arm Chopper hits twice, and you don't really want your main character double dipping on SP to do damage for this fight. I used Yosuke to solely heal, and Chie for damage. If you go into the fight with full SP (use SOS function and run away if you need to), you won't need much SP restoration items to make it through.

Chie is a pretty big liability at times with her fire weakness, so you'll want to ensure she's defending before the boss uses in fire attacks whenever possible.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I cannot get a ghoul persona for the life of me to finish Black Frost. I'd really, really like him because the void quest boss is crushing me pretty hard. Do I just grind on the last few levels of the castle? Because I have for like the last two hours and no dice.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Another idea for the first boss is to make use of Red Wall on Chie to get rid of her weakness.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I cannot get a ghoul persona for the life of me to finish Black Frost. I'd really, really like him because the void quest boss is crushing me pretty hard. Do I just grind on the last few levels of the castle? Because I have for like the last two hours and no dice.

Do you have a Matador and Mokoi by chance? If you fuse two personas of the same arcana, it will give you one of that arcana that's a rank lower.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kagon posted:

Do you have a Matador and Mokoi by chance? If you fuse two personas of the same arcana, it will give you one of that arcana that's a rank lower.

If they're consecutive, it'll do that. If they aren't it'll try to give you what's in between. Pretty sure Mokoi and Matador are consecutive so ti'll go down, though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Ghoul shows up in the sauna, iirc.

But you shouldn't need to resort to shuffle time. Just check out a simple fusion chart (there's one in one of the last pages of the manual) and get two low leveled Personas to fuse a Death. Ghoul is the lowest leveled Death Persona (9), so it should work out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

But you shouldn't need to resort to shuffle time. Just check out a simple fusion chart (there's one in one of the last pages of the manual) and get two low leveled Personas to fuse a Death. Ghoul is the lowest leveled Death Persona (9), so it should work out.

I have no god drat idea how to read those fusion charts. It's like looking at a multiplication table without knowing what numbers are. And none of the explanations for them on GameFaqs are wherever are ever in normal English, and are written really poorly cause you know, GameFaqs.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Strange Quark posted:

Ghoul is the sauna, and he appears semi-regularly for me.

And do the girlfriends have any benefits? In my original playthrough I think I romanced Rise, but that was a long time ago. Does it only change story?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can spend time with your girlfriend on Christmas Eve, and they'll give you a unique item. Rise's for example was an accessory that ups SP by 50%.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
^^^ You can spend Christmas Eve with the dudes, too! It's pretty much just a story component since all the accessories you get from any of the events you can only use after December and get outclassed by Chakra/Rudra Ring, Book of the Void, and God's Love anyway.

TheJoker138 posted:

I have no god drat idea how to read those fusion charts. It's like looking at a multiplication table without knowing what numbers are. And none of the explanations for them on GameFaqs are wherever are ever in normal English, and are written really poorly cause you know, GameFaqs.

Let's use this chart as an example.

If we're talking 2-Persona fusion, it is basically multiplication. The arcana in the row crossed with the arcana in the column nets you the arcana in the intersecting box.

If I fused a Fool and Empress, I'd get a Fool + Empress = Moon.

For triangle fusions, you take the result you get with fusing the two lower leveled Personas for the left field.

Say I wanted to fuse a Magician (Level 8), Priestess (10), and Hanged (40). Since the Magician and Priestess are the lowest leveled, I check the normal fusion chart and see that Magician + Priestess = Moon.

Then I'll reference the triangle chart: Moon + Hanged = Magician.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 19, 2012

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

Let's use this chart as an example.

If we're talking 2-Persona fusion, it is basically multiplication. The arcana in the row crossed with the arcana in the column nets you the arcana in the intersecting box.

If I fused a Fool and Empress, I'd get a Fool + Empress = Moon.

For triangle fusions, you take the result you get with fusing the two lower leveled Personas for the left field.

Say I wanted to fuse a Magician (Level 8), Priestess (10), and Hanged (40). Since the Magician and Priestess are the lowest leveled, I check the normal fusion chart and see that Magician + Priestess = Moon.

Then I'll reference the triangle chart: Moon + Hanged = Magician.

And like that it's crystal clear. Thanks, duder.

E: One more question though. How does it determine what level the persona you're making is going to be?

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Ghoul is the sauna, and he appears semi-regularly for me.

And do the girlfriends have any benefits? In my original playthrough I think I romanced Rise, but that was a long time ago. Does it only change story?

It only affects how you interact with them outside of the main story. All of their persona/social link benefits will stay the same whether you stay friends or romance them.

There's supposed to be a very bad moment on Valentine's Day if you date more than one girl. I'm doing my usual process of pretending to be a playa womanizer just so the game can kick me out of the habit for my NG+.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Did Rise's S.link have a lot more voice added or was it like this before? Her rank 7-10 all seem to be fully voiced, including characters like Inoue.

Also, during events like (END GAME, BONUS CONTENT) Marie hugging the MC tight, is it always Rise that gets annoyed or was it just because she was my MC's girl?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

E: One more question though. How does it determine what level the persona you're making is going to be?
Every persona starts at a pre-determined level, S. Link EXP aside. For instance, Queen Mab is always level 25 before bonus EXP.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

Every persona starts at a pre-determined level, S. Link EXP aside. For instance, Queen Mab is always level 25 before bonus EXP.

How do I know if I'm going to get Queen Mab, though? Do I have to fuse two level 20 Persona's, or what?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

TheJoker138 posted:

It takes the base level of your fusion fodder, averages it, and then finds the next-highest persona in the list of whatever the resulting arcana is. For triple fusion it also adds 5 levels flat to the average before looking.

Lets say you're fusing Fool + Magician = Temperance and you're using Izanagi and Jack Frost. The base levels are 1 and 16, respectively, and average out to 8.5: the first two Temperance personas are 4 and 11, so it will skip the level 4 one and move you up to the level 11 one, Sylph.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheJoker138 posted:

It's determined by the average of your ingredient Personas' base levels, but you add 5 after averaging in triple fusions. The resulting Persona's base level is the closest to the average that is equal or above the number you get, barring special fusions.

Normal Fusion of Lilith (Devil, 53) + Senri (Empress, 9) = Parvati (Priestess, 37)
(53+9)/2 = 31 is in between Ganga (29) and Parvati. Ganga is too low leveled, so you end up fusing Parvati.

Triple Fusion of Lilith (Devil, 53) + Senri (Empress, 9) + Parvati (Priestess, 37) = Mot (Death, 46)
(53+9+37)/3 + 5 = 38, which is between Samael (36) and Mot.

This doesn't apply for same arcana fusion. Normal fusions of the same arcana will result in a Persona one rank lower than the ingredients while triple fusions of the same arcana will grant a Persona one rank higher.

Sankis posted:

Did Rise's S.link have a lot more voice added or was it like this before? Her rank 7-10 all seem to be fully voiced, including characters like Inoue.

Also, during events like (END GAME, BONUS CONTENT) Marie hugging the MC tight, is it always Rise that gets annoyed or was it just because she was my MC's girl?

Much like how she'll flirt with you whether you date her or not throughout the game, she's always annoyed

VVV That's how it was in vanilla P4. :ssh:

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 19, 2012

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

gently caress me, it took far too long to realise you could select a Persona to fuse straight from the search. I kept using it to look up what I could make and then going and fusing them manually.

Nice to see that the special fusions that are 2/3 Personas are really easy to spot now. They get highlighted in this wonderfully bright pink.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Holy gently caress the beach scene

Kanji is the best.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Ok the void dungeon boss is totally loving stupid. I spend so much time and SP dealing with his fear and exhaustion poo poo that I can't do enough damage to him. When I finally break his main thing he just rebuilds it in two turns so I can get maybe one attack in because everyone else is trying to dispell the fear so he doesn't instant kill my party. I'm on my last day (I think?) and I don't have enough SP regeneration things to last even half the fight if I don't use teddie's energy shower to dispell the exhaustion.

The fight is so long and not fun at all.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

What level are your characters?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I'm 38 and using black frost.

I'm using Youske (37) Chie (38) and Teddie (36)

I think I may switch out Youske for Yukiko since she has Amrita.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Ok the void dungeon boss is totally loving stupid. I spend so much time and SP dealing with his fear and exhaustion poo poo that I can't do enough damage to him. When I finally break his main thing he just rebuilds it in two turns so I can get maybe one attack in because everyone else is trying to dispell the fear so he doesn't instant kill my party. I'm on my last day (I think?) and I don't have enough SP regeneration things to last even half the fight if I don't use teddie's energy shower to dispell the exhaustion.

The fight is so long and not fun at all.

Teddie's energy shower can be helpful for that fight. I usually just replace Yukiko for him in that fight. He knows mediarama right away and can act as a decent multi-purpose character.

If you haven't already, fuse Black Frost and level him up to get Agidyne. Mind Charge+Agidyne=Unstoppable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
He's already using Teddie, which is apparently not working out.

I would not recommend using him myself (in fact, I would say he is not useful until December). Yukiko has a larger SP pool and hits harder, and if you already have Amrita on her then all the better. Yosuke, healing items, and any healing spells the MC has should be plenty to offset not having Mediarama yet.

• Locked thread