Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I'm looking for upbeat rock music (not metal, please don't recommend anything that anyone might classify as metal) with horns and other orchestral influences. Suggestions?

Feel free to assume I've been living in a cave for the last several years and am not familiar with even mainstream obvious answers to this question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Miscellaneous_T posted:

I've always considered Daft Punk's Around The World to be required viewing. It's a pretty danceable song, too.
I love the crazy video for Jay Z "Onto the next one" http://youtube.com/watch?v=WM1RChZk1EU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

toe knee hand posted:

I'm looking for upbeat rock music (not metal, please don't recommend anything that anyone might classify as metal) with horns and other orchestral influences. Suggestions?

This is one of the catchiest songs I know, but they're not necessarily an "upbeat" band. Sigur Ros and Belle and Sebastian are great and feature lots of horn, cello, violin, etc, but are not always upbeat, either.

What about funk? Listen to some James Brown or JBs or something.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 16, 2012

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

toe knee hand posted:

Feel free to assume I've been living in a cave for the last several years and am not familiar with even mainstream obvious answers to this question.

Are you open to ska music at all? There are plenty of bands who are more pop and rock influenced than the typical "ska punk" people are used to hearing.

"A Shaky Truce" by The Pomps

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

toe knee hand posted:

These guys might do it for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg4CPaKzSUU

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Ooh, I like these guys a lot!

This is pretty good too. Thanks.

Pogobubba
Jan 3, 2010
If you're going to listen to Foxy Shazam and want to avoid metal, be cautious with what albums you listen to. I personally love Introducing Foxy Shazam and The Flamingo Trigger, but you would not. Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE-kAIjhNz0

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This is more a conversation piece than a "who I need to hear", but bear with me.

Can anyone name some other bands that have like, a period inwhich they are so amazingly prolific it's almost hard to keep up? I have 5, I'm curious who else applies.

The Smiths - 4 albums in 4 years, enough singles and B-sides to fill another 2.
Stereolab - a band with as many compilations of their B-sides and 7" as proper albums
Blur - the new 21 box set is a testament to just how damned much music they recorded, every album has another disc full of B-sides and non-album singles
Pavement - the 2 disc versions of all of their albums bear this out
The Smashing Pumpkins - after Siamese Dream, an outtakes/b-sides collection, then a double album, from which each single had an EP worth of material

I'm curious if there are other bands that did this. Bands where there are albums, but so, so, so much more. Nothing more than a curiosity here.

e: prolific can simply mean lots of albums - all of my examples are b-sides, but if someone's just straight releasing a lot of albums, that counts. Hell, The Beatles.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 17, 2012

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Pogobubba posted:

If you're going to listen to Foxy Shazam and want to avoid metal, be cautious with what albums you listen to. I personally love Introducing Foxy Shazam and The Flamingo Trigger, but you would not. Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE-kAIjhNz0

I'm so glad I saw Foxy twice during the Flamingo Trigger era.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is more a conversation piece than a "who I need to hear", but bear with me.

Can anyone name some other bands that have like, a period inwhich they are so amazingly prolific it's almost hard to keep up? I have 5, I'm curious who else applies.

Stereolab - a band with as many compilations of their B-sides and 7" as proper albums
Blur - the new 21 box set is a testament to just how damned much music they recorded, every album has another disc full of B-sides and non-album singles
The Smashing Pumpkins - after Siamese Dream, an outtakes/b-sides collection, then a double album, from which each single had an EP worth of material

I'm curious if there are other bands that did this. Bands where there are albums, but so, so, so much more. Nothing more than a curiosity here.

e: prolific can simply mean lots of albums - all of my examples are b-sides, but if someone's just straight releasing a lot of albums, that counts. Hell, The Beatles.

The Fall have released somewhere around 30 full lengths since 1979 plus about as many a-sides/b-sides, rarities comps, live albums, etc. Guided by Voices put out three albums this year alone and Bob Pollard has more than 1500 songs under his name in the BMI. Ty Segall released three albums this year plus played on a bunch more. Jay Reatard at his peak output (early 2000s) was in a billion bands and put out about as many records. Useless Eaters have done a lot recently but I haven't been keeping up. Prince has been putting out consistently good music since 1978 (the stretch of work from Dirty Mind through Sign O The Times is perfect imo.) E-40 has released 7 albums within the past two years and they were all mostly solid. Lil B puts out a new mixtape/album practically every month with varying degrees of quality (although if you're not already a Lil B fan this probably isn't worth it.)

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 17, 2012

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Benn Jordan/The Flashbulb has a pretty solid amount of work out there since 2000.

Same with Venetian Snares.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Muslimgauze also has had something like 200 releases since the early 1980s. Dying hasn't even slowed him down that much.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Agathocles have too many releases for me to count. Godstomper has said they'll do a split with just about anyone who asks them so they have a ton as well. David Tibet/Current 93 has had spurts of being very prolific over the years

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Jandek. ~4-6 albums per year since 1980, most of them absolutely atrocious. Sounds like Derek Bailey if Derek Bailey secretly sucked at guitar instead of being secretly awesome at guitar. Ready for the House and Six and Six are actually pretty great if you're in the mood for eerie, sleepy, dissonant blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCCmKDNKpKA

He's an acquired taste. I find him terrible and interesting and very very occasionally awesome.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 17, 2012

canis minor
May 4, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How about Merzbow - 350 recordings according to wiki, though I'd say it's more

edit: removed some divagation

canis minor fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 17, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

I don't believe anyone who claims to be a big fan of his. "Interesting" and "occasionally good" I can believe, but most of his music is amazingly bad.

For content, The Wedding Present, one of my favorite bands, released a single every month for the year of 1992 and had each of the chart in the UK, a feat I believe only Elvis has equaled.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out why you didn't make this a separate thread then?

AuntJemima
Jul 22, 2007
Can anyone recommend any good books and movies based around rock and roll and its history. Same with any soul or mo-town and Woodstock '69. I barely know anything and there seems to be a lot out there and would hate to pick something up that's super lovely.

This was the closest thread I could find to post this.

Thanks!

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

AuntJemima posted:

Can anyone recommend any good books and movies based around rock and roll and its history. Same with any soul or mo-town and Woodstock '69. I barely know anything and there seems to be a lot out there and would hate to pick something up that's super lovely.

Thanks!
Having read books like that (none of which I could name) I found that a general history of rock & roll tends to break it down into its most boring essence. Authors essentially create a very zoomed-out storyline to something that was very influenced by its smaller parts, which are too messy to make a decent cohesive narrative with. I would zero in on a motown book (not that I know of one), because I find that reading about more specific musical topics tend to tell you a lot through tangents and generally end up more interesting anyway. This book is also a good way to start with early Rock & Roll history as it attacks it in a tangential and bite-sized-at-a-time manner. Won't give you a full history but I don't believe there is such a thing.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
lovely, dirty, party rappers. I dunno. I loving love these tracks but their respective artists don't really do much like them. I already know about spank rock and he's pretty rad. Also Kid Sister is awful and a lot of the 'similar artists' aren't really all that similar. Lilly allen is too english and MIA is too... MIA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3z3KFtvAOk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZL0LJTJtzM

Recommend me :colbert:

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Looking for sort of alternative, indie, slightly folky songs, especially those that build. Some of my favourite songs at the moment are Below my Feet by Mumford and Sons, Us by Regina Spektor, Sun by Two Door Cinema Club, 1876 - The Brooklyn Theatre Fire by Wakey! Wakey!, 40 day dream and Janglin' both by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros and Dirty Paws by Of Monsters and Men.

Pretty tame, probably cliche music taste but i'd really love to find some more songs that have that sort of building folk-pop sound to them.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
That's one of my favorite types of music as well. Here's a band I came across recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBjfiTGu1jk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz4ZOAsjW6g

Run River North, formerly Monsters Calling Home.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

AuntJemima posted:

Thanks!

I read a lot of books about punk when I was in high school, here are a few that stuck with me:

Please Kill Me by Legs McNeil
Poison Heart: Surviving The Ramones by Dee Dee Ramone (though apparently a lot of it is made up and half remembered, still interesting nonetheless)
England's Dreaming by Jon Savage
Get in the Van by Henry Rollins

and yeah Farts is right, you're going to want a book that focuses on a specific era or style or scene, something overarching is going to miss details that could be important or make bad conclusions.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Agreed, you could do worse than doing a progression of Please Kill Me -> Our Band Could Be Your Life -> Rip It Up and Start it Again for what I think is an interesting time in American rock/underground/punk from 67 to about 89, something I find interesting at least. if you are in school check the music section of the library maybe for books like these, that's what I did anyhow.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

big business sloth posted:

Agreed, you could do worse than doing a progression of Please Kill Me -> Our Band Could Be Your Life -> Rip It Up and Start it Again for what I think is an interesting time in American rock/underground/punk from 67 to about 89, something I find interesting at least. if you are in school check the music section of the library maybe for books like these, that's what I did anyhow.

To follow these up, I would recommend We Never Learn by Eric Davidson which is a pretty good history of the Garage Punk scene in the late 80s/90s. It's kind of scattershot and doesn't go super in depth into any specific bands (except maybe Davidson's own New Bomb Turks; I haven't revisited it since I read it when it came out in 2010) but it carries the torch of those previous histories into the 2000s. It's like any book about a scene that was never particularly popular in that there's a lot of handwringing over how all the Crypt/Estrus/Goner/In The Red/Sympathy/etc. stuff was the REAL PUNK of the 90s.

Edit: If I recall correctly, Rip It Up and Start Again focuses mostly on the British side of things. If you're looking for an American Post-Punk history, Soul Jazz put out a book on New York's No Wave scene called New York Noise.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 19, 2012

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

dailydares posted:

To follow these up, I would recommend We Never Learn by Eric Davidson which is a pretty good history of the Garage Punk scene in the late 80s/90s. It's kind of scattershot and doesn't go super in depth into any specific bands (except maybe Davidson's own New Bomb Turks; I haven't revisited it since I read it when it came out in 2010) but it carries the torch of those previous histories into the 2000s. It's like any book about a scene that was never particularly popular in that there's a lot of handwringing over how all the Crypt/Estrus/Goner/In The Red/Sympathy/etc. stuff was the REAL PUNK of the 90s.

Edit: If I recall correctly, Rip It Up and Start Again focuses mostly on the British side of things. If you're looking for an American Post-Punk history, Soul Jazz put out a book on New York's No Wave scene called New York Noise.
Never heard about We Never Learn, I might give it a looksee

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

It's worth looking into, and is well written (Davidson (along with like half the other dudes in NBT) has an English degree) but if I recall correctly you're a pretty knowledgeable person when it comes to that sort of music, so there might not be too much in there that you don't already know about. (Also, I'm assuming you're significantly older than me and may have experienced the scene firsthand.) I'm really young and only got to garage rock when Jay Reatard and Black Lips started blowing up all over the internet hype machine when I was like 14, so I discovered a lot of the stuff it covers through the internet. When I read it, it mostly just served to fill the knowledge gaps and introduce me to some stuff that internet sites seem to ignore.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Dance of Days is a good book about DC punk, just don't read the very last chapter wherein the author completely dismisses emo as a genre (after writing about Embrace an the like) and then goes on to praise Good Charlotte.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

Dance of Days is a good book about DC punk, just don't read the very last chapter wherein the author completely dismisses emo as a genre (after writing about Embrace an the like) and then goes on to praise Good Charlotte.

Ahahah what the hell.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Ahahah what the hell.

I don't even know, man. It's a seriously great book and you I read the afterword and I was completely baffled. Everybody in the class I read it for felt the same way.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

dailydares posted:

It's worth looking into, and is well written (Davidson (along with like half the other dudes in NBT) has an English degree) but if I recall correctly you're a pretty knowledgeable person when it comes to that sort of music, so there might not be too much in there that you don't already know about. (Also, I'm assuming you're significantly older than me and may have experienced the scene firsthand.) I'm really young and only got to garage rock when Jay Reatard and Black Lips started blowing up all over the internet hype machine when I was like 14, so I discovered a lot of the stuff it covers through the internet. When I read it, it mostly just served to fill the knowledge gaps and introduce me to some stuff that internet sites seem to ignore.
I probably only beat you to it by ~3-4 years (using Jay Reatard solo stuff as a point of reference). Still a bit late to be a part of the crypt/estrus phenomenon.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Eight Is Legend posted:

big post with lots of videos

Dang these are way cool and good, especially that PMtoday track, thanks!

Interestingly I had seen those exact videos for Circa Survive and Pierce the Veil thanks to a friend so in love that they would be played multiple times in a row :argh:

Had no idea about that other Craig Owens thing and I will investigate!

Smarmy Coworker fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 23, 2012

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

Not quite as powerful as timelord

Skittle Wood posted:

Any recommendations of '00s bands for someone who loves '90s alternative rock and bands like Death from Above 1979, Cage the Elephant, Queens of the Stone Age, etc.? Trying to find some new favorites.

Slightly old post but, you could check out these guys maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwLXBw3j5Ek Decibully - Who's Shadow? (sic.)

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6tdlmx_GO4

Stuff like this.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

So I posted here like a year back and never followed through with my idea, but THIS TIME I'm gonna do it I swear :sweatdrop:

I'm putting together a slide show of a round-the-world backpacking trip I did and am looking for cool music to use as a background. I think I'll start with The XX - Intro but I'm not sure where to go from there. I want like poppy uplifting cool music that makes you excited and say hell yeah. No rock or metal or anything. Any suggestions?

edit: MGMT - Kids might make the cut. The hook is pretty sweet and kinda hits the mood I'm looking for.

Laopooh fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 24, 2012

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Kevin DuBrow posted:

That's one of my favorite types of music as well. Here's a band I came across recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBjfiTGu1jk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz4ZOAsjW6g

Run River North, formerly Monsters Calling Home.

These guys are amazing.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.

toe knee hand posted:

Kaisers Orchestra. They're Norwegian but there's not a hint of black metal to them. Definitely both upbeat and orchestral. They're incredible. By far the most popular band in Norway. One of the best live acts performing right now, even if you can't actually manage to see them. They just finished up an album trilogy that was absolutely massive in scale.

Psycho under min hatt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYxmjE6dY-M

Belgravelsespolka (live) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xxqpYxIMy8s

Svarte katter and Floshatter - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2HNaQdGJYU

scootsmagoo
Jan 18, 2011
If anyone can help me find more industrial-esque dark dub music I would be appreciative (although any instrumental, low and slow dub music would be nice). In particular, I am realllllly keen on this album called Along the Corridor by Eraldo Bernocchi and Blackfilm.

A few cuts, although I love the whole album:

http://youtu.be/6b7_JclqN9g

http://youtu.be/Tr07CjQanYg

I am also a fan of King Tubby and Sub Oslo. The back catalogue of Eraldo Bernocchi is very nice; but he has nothing else like this from what I can tell. I was somewhat familiar with Blackfilm but his back catalogue is also very different from this album. Thanks again for any suggestions.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Sounds like you might enjoy Kryptic Minds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x7lMsUN_8o

Or Old Apparatus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5eyOTeF_TI

And Shackleton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi5fVlVRous

Or Ekoplekz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_HTj9VGjlE

Check out everything on Mordant Music too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Laopooh posted:

So I posted here like a year back and never followed through with my idea, but THIS TIME I'm gonna do it I swear :sweatdrop:

I'm putting together a slide show of a round-the-world backpacking trip I did and am looking for cool music to use as a background. I think I'll start with The XX - Intro but I'm not sure where to go from there. I want like poppy uplifting cool music that makes you excited and say hell yeah. No rock or metal or anything. Any suggestions?

edit: MGMT - Kids might make the cut. The hook is pretty sweet and kinda hits the mood I'm looking for.

A friend of mine used this song for a holiday video he shot, sounds like it'll fit perfectly for what you are going for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue1GAyf66ro