Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Thirteenth Step posted:

Wunderlist2 is released later today and that looks very good.

Cool. New app or update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

This app looks great but it doesn't have the Twin Cities on it, so gently caress this app.

So email them and ask them to add support. In my experience they add what cities they can, for the most part the problem is that some cities aren't willing to give their data to third parties (or they'll give their 'general schedule' but no real time data).

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I just added an app called Game Your Video to my AppShopper list and not 5 minutes later it went free. Just gave it a quick try and it seems like an intuitive easy way to edit your videos.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Does anyone know what would happen to have an app stop using the speaker for calls? I use Google+ for the hangout video chats, it used to activate the speaker like on Facetime so it was easy to chat and look at people. Recently it no longer comes out of the speaker, only the top part like for normal calls, makes it impossible to hear anyone while looking at the camera. No idea what could have caused this, I definitely didn't change any settings and I haven't found a way to make it go back...

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Original_Z posted:

Does anyone know what would happen to have an app stop using the speaker for calls? I use Google+ for the hangout video chats, it used to activate the speaker like on Facetime so it was easy to chat and look at people. Recently it no longer comes out of the speaker, only the top part like for normal calls, makes it impossible to hear anyone while looking at the camera. No idea what could have caused this, I definitely didn't change any settings and I haven't found a way to make it go back...

I have a similar issue but reversed. If someone leaves me a voicemail on my desk phone it gets forwarded to my mobile as an email with the voicemail as an attachment. I can't figure out how to get those to play through the earpiece so I'm not blasting my messages over the speaker.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

TheJoker138 posted:

This app looks great but it doesn't have the Twin Cities on it, so gently caress this app.
They're a relatively new app so you should probably suggest it to them.They've definitely added a lot of cities in the last few months. Also, as you can tell from their supported cities list, they're a Canadian company; they might feel a special kinship with you since you're practically part of Canada anyway.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Accipiter posted:

I'd rather they work and fix some bugs rather than adding in new features.

This is a huge issue with the facebook app for me, I like what they've done overall but it's so buggy.

Starting a couple versions ago the app started crashing every 5 minutes on my iPad 2. Lots of other people are having the same problem.

Then I upgraded to the latest version and... It crashes every 5-30 seconds.... Great.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

marmot25 posted:

I use The Transit App and it's wonderful. Google maps was always (and still is) pretty poor for public transit because it doesn't use realtime data.

The newest update made this poo poo. Now we have to pay for anything remotely useful, and the times have been much further off than they previously were (SF Bay Area). Also, it fucks up when you minimize it and open it back up by searching for nearby stops even if you already have a set of directions open. Hopefully with Google Maps now out, Google will take the final steps (Address Book integration and NextBus transit times) to make this redundant.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Pissingintowind posted:

The newest update made this poo poo. Now we have to pay for anything remotely useful, and the times have been much further off than they previously were (SF Bay Area). Also, it fucks up when you minimize it and open it back up by searching for nearby stops even if you already have a set of directions open. Hopefully with Google Maps now out, Google will take the final steps (Address Book integration and NextBus transit times) to make this redundant.

Just another vote to use HopStop if it's in your area. A brilliant, free app.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

vtlock posted:

Just another vote to use HopStop if it's in your area. A brilliant, free app.

Does it integrate NextBus or just pull from schedules?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DarkJC posted:

So email them and ask them to add support. In my experience they add what cities they can, for the most part the problem is that some cities aren't willing to give their data to third parties (or they'll give their 'general schedule' but no real time data).

I actually did e-mail them when I first got the phone and needed a bus schedule app cause Apple Maps didn't support it and all. Never heard back from them. And the Cities do offer real time data to third parties, as I had an Android app that used it and the other app I'm using now also has it (but doesn't look as good).

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
I just picked up one of those blink(1) USB RGB LEDs to use with Boxcar and IFTTT. Anyone else using one? They look really neat.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Cool. New app or update?

It's an update afaik

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BrainDance posted:

This is a huge issue with the facebook app for me, I like what they've done overall but it's so buggy.

Starting a couple versions ago the app started crashing every 5 minutes on my iPad 2. Lots of other people are having the same problem.

Then I upgraded to the latest version and... It crashes every 5-30 seconds.... Great.

I haven't had the app crash, but it's one of the only apps that doesn't let you turn the screen to portrait to type. I thought those apps died out years ago. Hell, I think they had portrait type in previous version, no idea why it went missing in recent version of the Facebook app.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I just read the wikipedia article about IFTTT but I still don't understand the whole thing, can anyone please explain what is?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Billa posted:

I just read the wikipedia article about IFTTT but I still don't understand the whole thing, can anyone please explain what is?

It leverages various web services to allow you to make things happen automatically. If This happens, Then That happens. A good example is a simple CraigsList recipe. Save a craiglist search url, and tell IFTTT to email you the post if a matching result pops up.

Another example is keeping your various social networks sync'd up. If you post a picture to tumblr, you can have it also uploaded to <whatever>.

It gets more advanced, but that's the basic idea.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Here are a few more apps you might like:

Lego Instructions - A free app with a ton of Lego instructions. Some are official, and some are fan-made. Definitely a neat app for Adult Fans of Lego, or people who want to keep their kids busy.

Grocery IQ - A free app that lets you make a grocery list by scanning an item's barcode. You can also store loyalty cards, use voice command (which I haven't personally experimented with), and so on. Give yourself a little time to learn the program, and it's extremely useful.

RunPee.com - So the movie is ending, but you're not sure if you want to leave the theater, because this might be one of those loving movies with scenes after the credits. RunPee is an app that lets you know if there are indeed post-credits scenes. Of course, the meat of the app is letting you know when you can take a bathroom break, and not miss too much, but I've found that the post-credits info is a huge plus. The app was formerly free, but is now 99 cents. I'd imagine this will be free at some point in the future.

PocketArnold - Amuse yourself and annoy those around you with a free soundboard app featuring all of Arnold Schwarzenegger's best quotes.

Diptic - The best app for creating photo collages at 99 cents. It's ideal for Instagram users (if you kept your account during the hub-bub), and provides a lot of effects and options.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Billa posted:

Essentially, IFTTT is tied into the APIs of about 60 websites and apps, which they refer to as 'channels'. Evernote is a channel, Dropbox is a channel, Twitter is a channel, RSS is a channel, etc.

Each channel has its own set of triggers and actions. An example trigger for RSS would be, "An article has been posted to [x]'s RSS feed." IFTTT can take this trigger and perform an action on another channel, such as Twitter. This whole process is called a 'recipe'; it's always comprised of one trigger channel and one action channel.

Here are some of my own recipes, just to give you an idea:
  • Whenever I post a new article to my blog, IFTTT automatically tweets that article from a dedicated Twitter account I've set up.
  • Whenever I post a photo on Instagram, IFTTT automatically saves it to a folder in Dropbox.
  • If I mark a Youtube or Vimeo video as "Watch Later", IFTTT saves it to my Instapaper account.

This is nowhere near the number of things you can do with it. Some people have IFTTT text them the weather each morning. Some people download all their Gmail attachments directly to Dropbox. Some people make it so that when they change their Facebook profile photo, it changes their Twitter photo as well. Some people schedule a text message to be sent to them while they're in a meeting so they have an excuse to leave.

The number of possibilities is crazy. Here are some of their most popular recipes if you need more ideas. The nice thing is that it's easy to directly add them to your own recipe list.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Just had an issue pop up where my phone is telling me my billing information is declined. This isn't a problem as I rarely make purchases on here, but it is preventing me from downloading (free) app updates because of it. Updated yesterday without a problem and made no purchases between then and today. Will hit the bank on my lunch just to make sure I'm not in the negative, but I shouldn't be, and it shouldn't be accessing my billing info for a free update anyway. Sorry if this isn't the right place for this kind of post; I'm not a regular here and just needed to vent somewhere.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Billa posted:

Another great example is that blink(1) device I posted earlier. Essentially it's a little tiny device that just fits into your USB port. It's got a red, green and blue LED on it (which allows you to generate any color in the spectrum). You can set IFFT (or Boxcar) to change the color of the LED based on an event. That could be if you get a new tweet, an email, a specific email. You could have it turn yellow and flash when there's a thunderstorm warning. You could have it flash blue when it's below freezing outside. Slowly pulse green when a new Gmail arrives.

I'm setting mine up to flash a color when a new order arrives on my store, another color when a customer submits a ticket, etc.

There's almost no end to what you can do with IFTTT.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Werdsmith's update finally came out, and the feature that I paid premium for a few months ago is now a subscription-only feature, so gently caress that.
Can anyone recommend an iOS Universal app that lets me offline-sync text notes (drawings not important, colouring in certain words would be nice but optional) without needing a subscription?

Being able to sync with Dropbox would be ideal so I can keep working on files on my PC.

Pages would have been perfect with the iCloud syncing, but since it's creating proper documents as opposed to simple text files, the word wrap obviously doesn't adapt depending on what device I'm reading things on, which makes stuff tricky to read between my iPhone and iPad.

The offline syncing is the main feature as I'm outside of a decent signal a lot of the time, so being able to update my iPhone/iPad to the latest version of each file before I leave the house is very handy.

edit: Elements looks pretty good, any goon got it and could comment?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 19, 2012

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Red posted:

RunPee.com - So the movie is ending, but you're not sure if you want to leave the theater, because this might be one of those loving movies with scenes after the credits. RunPee is an app that lets you know if there are indeed post-credits scenes. Of course, the meat of the app is letting you know when you can take a bathroom break, and not miss too much, but I've found that the post-credits info is a huge plus. The app was formerly free, but is now 99 cents. I'd imagine this will be free at some point in the future.

This is loving amazing. I could have used this in like 1000 movies. Thank you so much! It even tells you a brief summary of what you missed while you're pissing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But how do you use that app in a dark room where they warn you a half dozen times before the movie starts to shut off your drat phone?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

But how do you use that app in a dark room where they warn you a half dozen times before the movie starts to shut off your drat phone?
The app looks pretty dark, if your brightness is turned right down you might be able to be pretty discreet about it. Plus the description says it'll vibrate when it's time to pee.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
So how does this work? Pull out your phone, open app, see when the best time to go to the bathroom is, put phone away, crawl over everyone to go to the bathroom, come back, and then disrupt everyone again by pulling out your phone to see what you missed.

If you do this, I hate you.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Sieg posted:

So how does this work? Pull out your phone, open app, see when the best time to go to the bathroom is, put phone away, crawl over everyone to go to the bathroom, come back, and then disrupt everyone again by pulling out your phone to see what you missed.

You open the app before the movie starts and it will vibrate when it's safe to take a pee break. You check the phone on the way in/out of the bathroom to see what you're missing.

Also, it is possible to look at your phone during a movie and not disturb everyone. Just put it way down low.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Werdsmith's update finally came out, and the feature that I paid premium for a few months ago is now a subscription-only feature, so gently caress that.
Can anyone recommend an iOS Universal app that lets me offline-sync text notes (drawings not important, colouring in certain words would be nice but optional) without needing a subscription?

Being able to sync with Dropbox would be ideal so I can keep working on files on my PC.

Pages would have been perfect with the iCloud syncing, but since it's creating proper documents as opposed to simple text files, the word wrap obviously doesn't adapt depending on what device I'm reading things on, which makes stuff tricky to read between my iPhone and iPad.

The offline syncing is the main feature as I'm outside of a decent signal a lot of the time, so being able to update my iPhone/iPad to the latest version of each file before I leave the house is very handy.

edit: Elements looks pretty good, any goon got it and could comment?

Elements is quite good. My main text editor for iOS is actually Byword, but if you're looking for offline support it probably doesn't get much better than Elements. It's my 2nd favorite.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sieg posted:

Don't you hold your dick with one hand and your phone with the other when you piss?

Also it vibrates and people who tend to go to the bathroom during movies sit in the aisle seats (me).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

xzzy posted:

If you know you have a small bladder, check it out ahead of time. A friend of mine is the type of guy who ALWAYS takes a piss break during the movie, and he does his homework when we sit down before the movie, in line, or whenever.

I pull out the app every time the credits come up, and I can see it just fine. Plus, everybody else is standing up and leaving anyway.

Edit: And yes, the screen for the app is black, so it doesn't create a big glare.

And: I think supporting the app for 99 cents is well worth it.

Red fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 19, 2012

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

bazaar apparatus posted:

Essentially, IFTTT is tied into the APIs of about 60 websites and apps, which they refer to as 'channels'. Evernote is a channel, Dropbox is a channel, Twitter is a channel, RSS is a channel, etc.

Each channel has its own set of triggers and actions. An example trigger for RSS would be, "An article has been posted to [x]'s RSS feed." IFTTT can take this trigger and perform an action on another channel, such as Twitter. This whole process is called a 'recipe'; it's always comprised of one trigger channel and one action channel.

Here are some of my own recipes, just to give you an idea:
  • Whenever I post a new article to my blog, IFTTT automatically tweets that article from a dedicated Twitter account I've set up.
  • Whenever I post a photo on Instagram, IFTTT automatically saves it to a folder in Dropbox.
  • If I mark a Youtube or Vimeo video as "Watch Later", IFTTT saves it to my Instapaper account.

This is nowhere near the number of things you can do with it. Some people have IFTTT text them the weather each morning. Some people download all their Gmail attachments directly to Dropbox. Some people make it so that when they change their Facebook profile photo, it changes their Twitter photo as well. Some people schedule a text message to be sent to them while they're in a meeting so they have an excuse to leave.

The number of possibilities is crazy. Here are some of their most popular recipes if you need more ideas. The nice thing is that it's easy to directly add them to your own recipe list.

I was thinking about getting around to writing up a quick guide to IFTTT but I think I'm just gonna use this in the OP, if you don't mind.

In addition, heads up: AppShopper was removed from the App Store for violating new-ish rules instituted back in September. Read more about it here.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I was thinking about getting around to writing up a quick guide to IFTTT but I think I'm just gonna use this in the OP, if you don't mind.

I don't mind at all :)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Red posted:

I suppose a potential problem with this app is, if it became too popular, you'd end up going to the toilet at the same time as a lot of other runpee users, which would throw the timings out because you'd take longer if all the urinals/toilets were occupied.

Would be good if maybe runpee clients could talk to each other and negotiate when to tell users to go so that visits can be staggered?

Also doesn't solve the problem of needing a poo. Might be a nice way of meeting new people though.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I love you guys, thanks a lot for bothering explaining that to me :*

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

I suppose a potential problem with this app is, if it became too popular, you'd end up going to the toilet at the same time as a lot of other runpee users, which would throw the timings out because you'd take longer if all the urinals/toilets were occupied.

Would be good if maybe runpee clients could talk to each other and negotiate when to tell users to go so that visits can be staggered?

Also doesn't solve the problem of needing a poo. Might be a nice way of meeting new people though.

They should definitely add poo as an IAP.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

You open the app before the movie starts and it will vibrate when it's safe to take a pee break. You check the phone on the way in/out of the bathroom to see what you're missing.

Also, it is possible to look at your phone during a movie and not disturb everyone. Just put it way down low.

Ah, I didn't understand that is how it worked. That is neat.

Just keep your phone put away during the movie. It isn't that hard, and yes, you are disturbing those around you even at low brightness.

Kingnothing posted:

Don't you hold your dick with one hand and your phone with the other when you piss?

Also it vibrates and people who tend to go to the bathroom during movies sit in the aisle seats (me).

I really need both hands to properly handle my giant dong.

I see those guys who using the urinal texting or talking on their phone and wonder what life must be like to have such a tiny penis and at the same time be so important you can't take a 20 second piss without being disturbed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Suqit posted:

Kayak pro is good for keeping all your reservations in one place and it organizes everything by trip. You forward all your email confirmations to kayak and it all shows up in the appropriate trip in the app. I really like using it.

Understeer posted:

I like TripIt for this. It also supports scanning your inbox for reservation confirmations to automatically update the app if you're comfortable with that.

Thanks guys, I'll look those both up now.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Thirst Mutilator posted:

In addition, heads up: AppShopper was removed from the App Store for violating new-ish rules instituted back in September. Read more about it here.

What does this mean for those of us who already have the app? Will it still restore from iCloud if I get a new phone?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
ESPN's ScoreCenter app just got a slick new update. I dig it.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

-Dethstryk- posted:

Does ESPN have an app yet that actually lets you look at information that's on their website without having to use their poo poo mobile site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

-Dethstryk- posted:

About time they added iPhone 5 support.

• Locked thread