Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

It's the reverse of the older ducati auto-retracting stands...you don't trust it but it works perfectly. On the ducs you accidentally dump it when it springs back and you forget about it.
Those kickstands are the worst kickstands ever made. The Harley ones actually do their job at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Anyone want to ride/otherwise transport a bike from Larkspur to the Mission in SF for me at 11:45 today? $50 in it for you.

edit: I could pick you up an hour before if you're in SF or otherwise on the way to Larkspur.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 1, 2012

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Pissingintowind posted:

Anyone want to ride/otherwise transport a bike from Larkspur to the Mission in SF for me at 11:45 today? $50 in it for you.

edit: I could pick you up an hour before if you're in SF or otherwise on the way to Larkspur.

In this weather? haha

e: sorry for the snark - i'd volunteer if it were a nice day, but man, I'd probably total it in the rain

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Hog Obituary posted:

In this weather? haha

e: sorry for the snark - i'd volunteer if it were a nice day, but man, I'd probably total it in the rain

Haha poo poo. Should have looked out the window. Going with a tow service - quoted $85 + bridge toll which seems reasonable considering I won't have to drive there.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Any suggestions on what I should try to pay for a 2006+ FZ1 in the Pacific Northwest? Condition and mileage doesn't have to be great, and I don't want any mods other than frame sliders.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Back again, this time with a question about a pair of Honda CX500s in Sacramento. According to this guy, both run, although I'm always a little bit wary when somebody says "just needs a new battery and it'll run great!". Wants $1400 for the beautiful, running '78 and $550 for the currently non-running '79. $1800 for both.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/3451194482.html

Thoughts? Buy the running one? Buy both? Get the non-running if I can get it to bump start/jump start? Offer $X?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

my old Pegaso had intermittent self cancelling signals. Sometimes they would cancel, and I'd think "oh, that was nice of them", and other times they wouldn't at all. I think it had something to do with lean angle, but it never worked quite right. I never did work out what the exact parameters were that would cause it to cancel.
My Multistrada has DIY cancelling. Not a problem, I never relied on the self-cancelling on the Peg anyway. Okay, sometimes I end up look like a Floridian retiree while riding down a straight road, but the blinking green light on the dash is pretty noticeable.

I've long got in the habit of just hitting the cancel button every time I come out of a corner, which worked well until I got a pair of winter gloves whose thumb was strangely long - like the gloves fitted perfectly except the thumb, which was a good inch longer than it needed to be - and so flicked the right indicator on half the time.

For a while I was using my sister's no-brand Chinese scooter to get to work while I was between bikes, and that had both self-cancelling (time-based) indicators *and* an incredibly loud buzzer, like massive truck reversing indicator loud, to let you know the indicators were on. It's a combination that certainly works (although the buzzer was more use in letting me know that the indicators had turned off while I was waiting at lights) but not one I'd recommend...

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've long got in the habit of just hitting the cancel button every time I come out of a corner, which worked well until I got a pair of winter gloves whose thumb was strangely long - like the gloves fitted perfectly except the thumb, which was a good inch longer than it needed to be - and so flicked the right indicator on half the time.

Ha, I got the Icon Patrol gloves and they do the same thing. Weird long-rear end thumbs. They're warm for winter though so I'll take it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Back again, this time with a question about a pair of Honda CX500s in Sacramento. According to this guy, both run, although I'm always a little bit wary when somebody says "just needs a new battery and it'll run great!". Wants $1400 for the beautiful, running '78 and $550 for the currently non-running '79. $1800 for both.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/3451194482.html

Thoughts? Buy the running one? Buy both? Get the non-running if I can get it to bump start/jump start? Offer $X?

The only thing I'd be concerned about is a fresh battery but a bad charging system, as replacing the stators on those is a gigantic pain in the rear end. I'd buy both, and fix up and sell the non-running one to either sell or ride yourself.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Ha, I got the Icon Patrol gloves and they do the same thing. Weird long-rear end thumbs. They're warm for winter though so I'll take it.

Yeah, same with these no-brand gloves I picked up, most comfortable and best tradeoff between warmth and feel I've ever had, so I'll put up with the occasional glance to make sure I've not hit the wrong indicator (and the sneaking worry about ever discovering the mutant who they would fit)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, same with these no-brand gloves I picked up, most comfortable and best tradeoff between warmth and feel I've ever had, so I'll put up with the occasional glance to make sure I've not hit the wrong indicator (and the sneaking worry about ever discovering the mutant who they would fit)

I think it might have been a bad idea to buy gloves of unknown providence. Dude looks pissed. I mean look at him - it's the morning of the Oulton Park BSB round, he's gone to his wardrobe to get his bike stuff and someone's stolen it all. :argh:

Invoking the sinister supernatural powers granted him by his dark gods (and Doreen from e-bay's fraud resolution centre), he has discovered your address. You will want to make sure your windows are locked. It won't stop him of course, but at least you'll sleep in the brief interval between ill-judged purchase and the vengeance of the dammed.

:drac:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Saga posted:

I think it might have been a bad idea to buy gloves of unknown providence. Dude looks pissed. I mean look at him - it's the morning of the Oulton Park BSB round, he's gone to his wardrobe to get his bike stuff and someone's stolen it all. :argh:

Invoking the sinister supernatural powers granted him by his dark gods (and Doreen from e-bay's fraud resolution centre), he has discovered your address. You will want to make sure your windows are locked. It won't stop him of course, but at least you'll sleep in the brief interval between ill-judged purchase and the vengeance of the dammed.

:drac:

Mate I work for Rupert Murdoch, what you call minions of hell I call colleagues.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Mate I work for Rupert Murdoch

Sorry, let me provide you with vampires you will recognize

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Z3n posted:

The only thing I'd be concerned about is a fresh battery but a bad charging system, as replacing the stators on those is a gigantic pain in the rear end. I'd buy both, and fix up and sell the non-running one to either sell or ride yourself.

Would you pay the prices he's asking? Of course I'd offer lower, but supposing he wouldn't go down at all?

Also, since I don't have a truck, I'd have to ride them both home, assuming I could get the non-operational one to start. I asked this a few pages ago, but didn't get a firm answer--can you actually bump/jump a bike whose battery is not merely flat, but actually gone bad?

Crap. Speaking of that, since they're on non-op... wonder if cops are willing to be lenient if you're riding a freshly-purchased bike home before you get it registered...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I would go out, look at the bike, and offer probably $1500 for the pair, delivered. Going to Sac is balls, having just done that trip a few days ago. 1400/400 isn't a bad deal for the Bay area, the bikes are solid and reliable with the exception of that one drat stator problem.

If you want to be honest, I'd go out with a fresh, good battery, and check both bikes with a multimeter. If you want to take a risk, you can go out with your car, jump the bike, and check the charging system then, which will probably be a failure at the battery and use that to bargain him down, taking the risk that the charging system could be blown. You could also pull the fresh battery from the running one and see how the non-running one fairs.

Regardless, I won't buy a CX500/GL500/650 without a multimeter in hand. The bike becomes essentially worthless from a time investment standpoint if you have to drop the engine to do the stator.

Have you considered this bike?
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418744

It's got some nice streetfighter parts that could definitely recoup some cash, I'd grab it if I wasn't on the cusp of having far too many bikes and parts.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
I'm getting excited. Overly so. This guy with a 2002 Honda shadow 750 spirit is interested in meeting me tomorrow. He was asking 2500 but over email he'd be willing to talk 2200. Willing to talk doesn't exactly mean that's the price, but I feel I could work my side of things to make that price acceptable - it's winter time, bit of an older bike, etc. Being there with cash in hand has got to be a good incentive and 2200 feels a good grab. It's got 9k miles, no damages/accidents save for some scratches on the bottom of the pipes that were there when he got it two years ago. The same time he got a clean bill of health on it from brothers Honda. Gonna ask if he's done anything more recent to it and the like.

It's my first bike, so I don't need a fantastic deal. Really, it's the bike I want and I don't mind paying a bit more now than hope for something later. I was expecting to pay around 3k for my first bike, so this also saves me money to get it inspected and such.

Negotiations will be odd for me but I'm sure I can handle it. I'm unclear on what sort of paper work we will need to fill out if I agree to pay for it. He's gonna be very close to me and will have it in a truck, so I'm hoping he'll bring it to my place with a couple extra bucks. It'll be just me checking out the bike and I've read a lot on what to look for, but I'm still concerned about missing something obvious.

Will someone hold me and tell me it's going to be ok?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Saga posted:

Sorry, let me provide you with vampires you will recognize

Now there's a Twilight movie I'd watch.

This should probably go in the the "poo poo you love" thread but I'm in work at the moment having been called in at 1am, and man I'd forgotten how much I love riding through London in the middle of the night, it's making me actively look forward to going home sometime around 4am, despite the cold.

I swear the cold air is worth an extra couple of bhp, even though it's exactly the same temperature as it was when I first rode in at 8am yesterday. Somehow late-night air just seems chewier, something my engine can really get it's teeth into, and of course the exhaust note is much clearer and, best of all, that feeling (which is even more intense at 4am) that everyone out and about at that time has an actual reason to be there, they're not just loving around.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I've got a line on a very cheap (£500~) SV650S, catch is that it hasn't run in over 6 months and will likely need the carbs pulled and cleaned, maybe a new battery. What are the must-check things for these bikes? Anything that should be a deal breaker?

In Let me tell you what good, un-wrecked and only slightly rusted bike I bought news; I'm just finishing up the CB650Z I bought for £300, so far it's only cost me about £30 to get started (battery), I'm anticipating another £200~ for tyres and a new brake master, plugs and a few bits and pieces. Planning on selling it on next summer, hopefully at a profit.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

I've got a line on a very cheap (£500~) SV650S, catch is that it hasn't run in over 6 months and will likely need the carbs pulled and cleaned, maybe a new battery. What are the must-check things for these bikes? Anything that should be a deal breaker?

In Let me tell you what good, un-wrecked and only slightly rusted bike I bought news; I'm just finishing up the CB650Z I bought for £300, so far it's only cost me about £30 to get started (battery), I'm anticipating another £200~ for tyres and a new brake master, plugs and a few bits and pieces. Planning on selling it on next summer, hopefully at a profit.

Friend of a friend had problems with it dropping onto one which he attributed to the front pot apparently getting blasted with road crud in winter use. Quick google suggests dropping onto one may be an sv trademark with fuel, spark or other electrical gremlins possible causes. If the carb cleaning comment came from a running problem, it may not be a case of just clean carb.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Losing the front cylinder due to water getting in the front boot is common but easily fixed, just grease the boot or install a fender extender. I had an SV that had been sitting for a year and it managed to clean up woth fresh gas and a carb clean, no problems. No major issues on the sv, it's a water cooled stone axe.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Cool, thanks chaps. The plan will be to get it cleaned up and running sweet over the winter then sell it next year at the start of summer like the CB650. That or keep all of them, get a street triple and then I'll have a ~650cc bike in i4, triple, twin and single.

Gotta catch them all!

Saga posted:

If the carb cleaning comment came from a running problem, it may not be a case of just clean carb.

Apparently the bike was running fine when it was parked up at the start of the year; the guy is selling it because his licence expired and his SO is bitching at him to get it out of the drive.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
A coworker is looking to sell his 2003 R1 that has around 9k miles. It's got after market exhaust, dynokit, etc. What's the going rate for one of these things? Kelly Blue Book is saying $4,800 which seems high for a 10 year old bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Is that trade in or retail? Halfway between the 2 is a decent starting point, with additional adjustments when you check your local CL/Ebay, see what similar bikes are listed for.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Z3n posted:

Is that trade in or retail? Halfway between the 2 is a decent starting point, with additional adjustments when you check your local CL/Ebay, see what similar bikes are listed for.
That's trade in value. It needs a new front tire but otherwise should need no other work. I have him confirming the mileage.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've got an itch for a new motorcycle, and I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-Honda-VTX-1300-/170950102361

Price seems really low, I emailed the seller and he said that it's very clean, has it sitting on a tile floor and when it's ran, there were no leaks. I'm sure that the price will go higher, but I'm thinking of putting in a bid and going up to $4200. I'd have to drive to Alabama from Chicago and put new tires on it, but drat, not very often does the opportunity present itself to go from a 99 VT100C with 18k miles to an 09 VTX1300 with 11k miles for maybe $1000 more than I'd be able to sell my bike before.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I'm looking for a sporty.. I found a Buell M2 Cyclone from 2002. Any advice on this sucker?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It will definitely go faster and handle better than a Sporty, with the possible exception of the XR model.

'Clones come with a more budget/comfort oriented suspension and more "standard" (and larger) saddle compared with the tube frame Lighnings.

S1 and X1 Lightnings are better bikes if you happen to see one, usually they pop up at about the same price.

Tubers have good mechanical parts crossover with Sportsters; you can put a baker 6 speed in a tuber, something you can't do on a XB.

I was ready to buy a 'clone from the H-D dealership, but it had been sitting neglected for months and I horse-traded for the Uly later that same week while I waited for them to tune it up for a test ride.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Tubers have never done it for me with how mega-90s they look (mostly the wheels though) but I've heard stories of the engines being too hopped up; note that the XB models have almost the same HP ratings with further developed engines. 2002 was the last year for the tube frame models though so it's the best you're going to get :)

They are much, much easier to work on than the XB models though. Parts aren't difficult to get between American Sport Bike, and Twin Motor Cycles (incidentally, the first now also sells the latter's parts).

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Anyone own an FZ1 or post 2006 fazer 1000?

Idly considering one when the Tuono becomes clapped-out. I really enjoy the mk 1 tuono and would like a mk2 tuono or a Super Duke as an upgrade, but the thing is none of them are great commuter bikes (except for the wheelieing bit of the commute). They hate pottering around at low rpms and get awful fuel economy no matter what you do.

The fz looks like a serious chassis and motor in a sensible (ok, dull in an rf900 way) suit, and a downgear and booting the enormous silencer and cat for an akra slipon should bring the weight down and give tuono-style front wheel antics. MCN claims 40 mpg, which is 7.5 better than my tuono. Not sure whether it actually feels like a sporty bike to ride, however, or whether it's more Bandit 1250.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Test ride one before you go too far because the low end is seriously lacking, IMO.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Test ride one before you go too far because the low end is seriously lacking, IMO.

Yeah, I remember hearing that. Akra's dyno charts suggest that you can boost low-end torque significantly by ditching the valve (no, I don't understand how that would work) and going with a freer flowing exhaust.

Plus dramatically lowering the gearing, while it can't change the shape of the curve, can go some way to alleviating a lack of thrust.

I'll hunt down one to ride, but not until spring. And not at all if someone pops up to say they only get 30mpg.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gas mileage is one of those things that inevitably goes to poo poo when you rejet, put a giant free flowing exhaust on it, and gear it low...if you want good mileage, you can't be going and modding a bike like crazy.

Honestly, one of the best bikes I've ever ridden is the wife's Daytona 675 streetfighter. It's geared -1 in the front (which I want to fix) but it's getting mid 40s, it was cheap, the handlebar on it makes it absurdly comfortable (especially for a supersport), it's got all the kick a streetbike needs with a fun top end, but it's not so stupid fast you can't wring it out occasionally, brakes, suspension, etc, are all solid. It's good enough I'm considering trying to find another one for myself.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

Gas mileage is one of those things that inevitably goes to poo poo when you rejet, put a giant free flowing exhaust on it, and gear it low...if you want good mileage, you can't be going and modding a bike like crazy.

Honestly, one of the best bikes I've ever ridden is the wife's Daytona 675 streetfighter. It's geared -1 in the front (which I want to fix) but it's getting mid 40s, it was cheap, the handlebar on it makes it absurdly comfortable (especially for a supersport), it's got all the kick a streetbike needs with a fun top end, but it's not so stupid fast you can't wring it out occasionally, brakes, suspension, etc, are all solid. It's good enough I'm considering trying to find another one for myself.

I wanna see a picture of this.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'll grab a picture when I walk out to lunch. Don't really have any good pictures of it :)

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I'm looking at an employment change which will be roughly an hour of expressway/city mix each way, and parked in all kinds of vandal and theft heavy areas.

The V-Max which is a gas pig, and treated better than my first born is not something I wish to subject to this. Looking for a rat bike with phenomenal MPGs that doesn't completely suck on the highway. Thinking of maybe a salvage V-Strom 650? I'd put a trunk on it for a change of clothes and whatever else, but I'd leave the side bags off because I'll be squeezing in and out of the smallest places and parking it wherever the hell I can fit it.

I've always had a soft spot for motards and this is a fine excuse to get one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Any beater 650 (Ninja 650/ER6N/Versys/SV650/Vstrom650). Throw some suspension upgrades at it, and enjoy good mileage, low maintenance and your functional commute appliance.

Edit: Daytona pics:

Just a handlebar on a Daytona. It's still got the woodcraft rearsets on it even...but it's comfortable for everyday commuting even with the rearsets. I ended up cutting down the windscreen a bit to help the bars clear. The mirrors are useless cause they just show my hands now, need to swap them for barends. Also need to wire up the heated grips, heated vest thermostat, proper vibration damping bar ends, throttle lock, check on the chain and sprockets...etc.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 19, 2012

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
That bike certainly looks like a blast to ride. I also didn't realize how much more low-end torque a I3 675 has over a I4 636 until just now after checking google. Yum.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

That bike certainly looks like a blast to ride. I also didn't realize how much more low-end torque a I3 675 has over a I4 636 until just now after checking google. Yum.

Yeah they're a 600 that's actually really useable on the street. 'Tis nice .

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Halo_4am posted:

I'm looking at an employment change which will be roughly an hour of expressway/city mix each way, and parked in all kinds of vandal and theft heavy areas.

The V-Max which is a gas pig, and treated better than my first born is not something I wish to subject to this. Looking for a rat bike with phenomenal MPGs that doesn't completely suck on the highway. Thinking of maybe a salvage V-Strom 650? I'd put a trunk on it for a change of clothes and whatever else, but I'd leave the side bags off because I'll be squeezing in and out of the smallest places and parking it wherever the hell I can fit it.

I've always had a soft spot for motards and this is a fine excuse to get one.

phenomenal gas mileage can be found in BMW F800 bikes. They make ridiculously good numbers. Not exactly a rat bike, but older F800Ses can be had for fairly cheap (at least in the UK).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Linedance posted:

phenomenal gas mileage can be found in BMW F800 bikes. They make ridiculously good numbers. Not exactly a rat bike, but older F800Ses can be had for fairly cheap (at least in the UK).

Not overwhelmingly cheap in the US, as the "S" is a fairly rare bike (06-07 MY only in the US, ~300 bikes or so), you can look at the ST as well. Pretty reliable, fairly low maintenence, good mileage with enough power to play on the highway and get you into trouble if need be (~85 HP)