Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slam5000
Aug 19, 2012

Requested_Username posted:

If you're programming the same thing you already programmed it seems a little more like rote memory.

You're not a programmer are you...
OK, well, programming is definitely a task which you can learn techniques for doing things, and learn to be more efficient over time, but in no way could something really be rote memory just cause you've done it in the past. I've written thousands upon thousands of lines of code, and I still find myself referencing old projects to remember how I did something the last time I needed to accomplish a similar thing. That however could very well be quite different for a Super Highschool Level Hacker... But I feel like her memory getting wiped, and her reprogramming it using procedural memory is a little out there to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Reverend Cheddar posted:

. It's a lingerie brand but its main Japanese line is um, a bit frumpy, to be kind.
Interesting. In the USA it's a high-end brand ($50+ list price) and has some sexy stuff. But the pronunciation sounds nothing like the pronunciation of Macaulay; it's waCOAL.

I notice that everything in the nurse pin-up is injection-related. Is this a hint, or do Japanese patients expect an injection when sick?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

orenronen posted:

“No, I don’t think we can just call it ‘sickness’ and be done with it”, Matsuda-kun shook his head lightly. “The human memory is a complicated thing and there is much we don’t know about it. It’s still very much a black box. Your situation isn’t just a simple sickness that can be dealt with like any other.” As he explained, he stuck suction pads all over my head and my face.The cords running from the suction pads were attached to the machines on the trolley. “There’s a part of the human memory that we call ‘episodic memory’. It stores your personal experiences, what you see and hear. The area of the brain responsible for it is called the hippocampus. If something goes wrong there, the brain experiences difficulties in creating and storing new episodes. There’s a famous old example about a patient who had the hippocampus removed in surgery and lost all ability to form new memories. After that happened, there has been much research done about the exact role of the hippocampus in relation to memory. That said, even if your hippocampus is malfunctioning, you won’t lose your ability to remember or learn ‘procedural memory’ tasks such as riding a bicycle or using tools. You won’t remember the episodes related to those tasks, though. For example, you may remember how to ride a bicycle, but you won’t remember how

For the record, the patient mentioned here is almost certainly H.M., whom Matsuda would have to have inevitably studied a lot of neuroscientific literature about as a Super High-School Level Neurologist. H.M. is one of the most important case studies in all of modern biopsychology.

Also for the record, this much is pretty well grounded in actual science, whereas something like Alter Ego is pretty out there, so it's a bit much to say that this is enough to "explain" Alter Ego.

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012

Dr. Notadoctor posted:

So has anyone else noticed that Hinata and Nagito have the same facial structure? Or that Hinata has the same bent-horn-looking thing in his hair that Naegi had in the first game? I'm almost getting a Fight Club-ish vibe from Hinata and Nagito, and it's not like DID (or twins for that matter) would be a first for the series. Have any other characters directly referred to Nagito and specifically Nagito?

Yeah, I pointed out the horn thing a few pages ago but no one responded, the thread moves fast :) Hinata is clearly a different person than Naegi, but this seemed like such a blatant similarity and was the first thing that struck me about him.

Back when I made the post I was trying to find some similarity between Naegi's hood design and Hinata's tie design but couldn't find anything. Someone else in thread edited Hinata's design to look like a skull, but I thought it looked quite like a gas mas- that's what Naegi's design was! I'll try to find the image.

In my other post I mentioned my suspicions about genetic similarities between the DR1 and DR2 characters (secret Super High School level breeding/test tube baby program??? all of this DR0 "research on Super High School Level stuff makes it seem more plausible...) but really we have almost zero info about the DR2 characters and it's silly to speculate wildly about things like this. I think at this point all we can say is that the developers are loving with us.

EDIT: here is the mirrored Hinata tie design:

dog days are over posted:

If you mirror it (and use a bit of imagination) it looks like a skull, doesn't it?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

slam5000 posted:

You're not a programmer are you...
OK, well, programming is definitely a task which you can learn techniques for doing things, and learn to be more efficient over time, but in no way could something really be rote memory just cause you've done it in the past. I've written thousands upon thousands of lines of code, and I still find myself referencing old projects to remember how I did something the last time I needed to accomplish a similar thing. That however could very well be quite different for a Super Highschool Level Hacker... But I feel like her memory getting wiped, and her reprogramming it using procedural memory is a little out there to say the least.

It's the difference between writing similar or even same lines of code for a different project and say, rewriting a novel you already wrote. How many times have you had to re-write the exact same program multiple times?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

slam5000 posted:

But I feel like her memory getting wiped, and her reprogramming it using procedural memory is a little out there to say the least.

Well, since the alternative is that Chihiro programmed Alter Ego in a matter of days starting from scratch...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SchrodingersFish posted:

Yeah, I pointed out the horn thing a few pages ago but no one responded, the thread moves fast :) Hinata is clearly a different person than Naegi, but this seemed like such a blatant similarity and was the first thing that struck me about him.

Back when I made the post I was trying to find some similarity between Naegi's hood design and Hinata's tie design but couldn't find anything. Someone else in thread edited Hinata's design to look like a skull, but I thought it looked quite like a gas mas- that's what Naegi's design was! I'll try to find the image.

In my other post I mentioned my suspicions about genetic similarities between the DR1 and DR2 characters (secret Super High School level breeding/test tube baby program??? all of this DR0 "research on Super High School Level stuff makes it seem more plausible...) but really we have almost zero info about the DR2 characters and it's silly to speculate wildly about things like this. I think at this point all we can say is that the developers are loving with us.

EDIT: here is the mirrored Hinata tie design:

That hair thing is called "ahoge" and usually signifies that the character sporting it is naive, particularly innocent, or carefree.
As for the tie thing, I wouldn't look too deep into it. Every character has a similar design, meant to represent their old high schools, and it's just a little visual flourish the designer gave to the characters to make their attire stand out more.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
From what Hinata has said about being essentially a SHSL Hope's Peak Fanboy, I could easily buy him signing up for the prep school, thinking of using it as a stepping stone to the actual school. That doesn't rule out his having his own SHSL talent anyway. Part of the condition of being invited to the main Hope's Peak academy is to be a High School student. Anyone with a brain would realise that which school you go to doesn't matter if you have the talent, with Hope's Peak talent scouts out looking, but if Hinata is as gung-ho on this as he claimed, I think he'd jump at anything that'd bring him closer to the main school. It's a possibility that he jumped to join the prep school, and then the talent scouts discover he has a SHSL talent anyway.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012

SchrodingersFish posted:

I thought they might be pretty similar too, but I think that's just the circle around the logo on Nagi's hood. This is the page I found from the artbook when I went looking for reference:

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Duchess Shrimp posted:

PS: FighterKnuckles, that is the best Naegi avatar I have seen!

I follow HelloWinter on tumblr, and she said she made it for them, actually, which explains the awesomeness.

:ssh: I am using it on another forum myself.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Alien Arcana posted:

Well, since the alternative is that Chihiro programmed Alter Ego in a matter of days starting from scratch...

I always thought that Chihiro had actually made Alter Ego before getting mindwiped. It didn't activate until after he was already dead, remember.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Interesting. In the USA it's a high-end brand ($50+ list price) and has some sexy stuff. But the pronunciation sounds nothing like the pronunciation of Macaulay; it's waCOAL.

I notice that everything in the nurse pin-up is injection-related. Is this a hint, or do Japanese patients expect an injection when sick?

:ssh: Most label brands tweak their end product to match the wants of a particular market (unless you're a Chanel or a Dior). That Wacoal's end product in Japan is essentially granny panties... tells you something.

As for my image of a Japanese nurse, I actually think pink, not injections. Every time I see them they are in baby pink scrubs and an apron, much like Mikan. However, this also applies to male nurses. I don't think I ever saw a male nurse that didn't have to wear pink, actually.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 18, 2014

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012
Monobear's unusually excited about a 20% discount on sausage.

Phelim
Mar 18, 2009

orenronen posted:

“Oh, I’ll be fine! I will always have you, Matsuda-kun!”, I stuck my chest in pride. “You’re the only person I can remember, so as long as you’re here, I won’t get lonely.”

Clarification, please, on the "stuck my chest" bit? Should that be "stuck out" or "struck" or...?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Especially after reading that last DR0 update, I think there may be even more of a time gap than we think there is between DR2 and the one we know there is during the mindwipe in DR1.

Speculation timeline.

- Some time before DR0: Hope's Peak opens prep school for funding purposes
- DR0 things happen
- End of DR0: In an attempt to placate the prep school, they hold the lottery for all of Japan. Naegi is chosen instead.
- DR1 happens
- The survivors go on to reinstate Hope throughout the world. This includes restoring Hope's Peak to its original purpose, complete with the prep school because they really need funding these days. Lottery continues and each winner is SHSL Good Luck.
- Enough time passes that the events of DR1 seem to this current group like WWI to our generation -- a horrible thing, but something that could never happen again. Thus someone knowing about wanting people to kill each other but the overall forced hope atmosphere. Nobody wants that to happen again. It makes Hinata a current prep school student, talentless lottery winner, and the current Togami some descendent and namesake of DR1's.

I can't speculate more from the little of DR2 we've been shown, of course, but I'll probably revise this timeline if it holds up over the LP and novel translation.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Alien Arcana posted:

...or that the broken laptop that was found was his and contained some of his work?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

kvx687 posted:

I always thought that Chihiro had actually made Alter Ego before getting mindwiped. It didn't activate until after he was already dead, remember.

Rawkking posted:

...or that the broken laptop that was found was his and contained some of his work?

Those are very good points. I'm probably reading too much into the "programmed memory" remark. :shrug:

Oh well, it was a fun tangent.

Duchess Shrimp
Dec 13, 2012

Prototypical posted:

Especially after reading that last DR0 update, I think there may be even more of a time gap than we think there is between DR2 and the one we know there is during the mindwipe in DR1.

Speculation timeline.

- Some time before DR0: Hope's Peak opens prep school for funding purposes
- DR0 things happen
- End of DR0: In an attempt to placate the prep school, they hold the lottery for all of Japan. Naegi is chosen instead.
- DR1 happens
- The survivors go on to reinstate Hope throughout the world. This includes restoring Hope's Peak to its original purpose, complete with the prep school because they really need funding these days. Lottery continues and each winner is SHSL Good Luck.
- Enough time passes that the events of DR1 seem to this current group like WWI to our generation -- a horrible thing, but something that could never happen again. Thus someone knowing about wanting people to kill each other but the overall forced hope atmosphere. Nobody wants that to happen again. It makes Hinata a current prep school student, talentless lottery winner, and the current Togami some descendent and namesake of DR1's.

I can't speculate more from the little of DR2 we've been shown, of course, but I'll probably revise this timeline if it holds up over the LP and novel translation.

This sounds plausible, but since DR0 opens with Junko (apparently) planning the despair incident, wouldn't Naegi already be enrolled then, since they were classmates?

/edit:

likecnsnnts posted:

I follow HelloWinter on tumblr, and she said she made it for them, actually, which explains the awesomeness.

:ssh: I am using it on another forum myself.

Aw yiss! I did not realise that she had made that awesome YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG gif as well! Man hopping over to her LP even though I've finished the game.

Duchess Shrimp fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 20, 2012

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Frost Uncle posted:

Monobear's unusually excited about a 20% discount on sausage.

One lucky Christmas dinner is about to contain the Mondo special.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Personally, my favorite part of DR2 so far is what a polite wise-rear end Nagito is. He has this way of gently poking fun at people while still keeping enough decorum they either don't notice he's a snarky jerk or in the case of Hajime, get all flustered but can't properly respond without being rude. It's like the complete reverse of Naegi's openness, mild nature, and ability to find the good in everyone, and while I really like Naegi and think he's a great guy, Nagito's impishly sly wit is highly entertaining. I hope he keeps it up.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Duchess Shrimp posted:

This sounds plausible, but since DR0 opens with Junko (apparently) planning the despair incident, wouldn't Naegi already be enrolled then, since they were classmates?

I've read a lot of American stuff (random suspense/thrillers) that start with a scene in the reader's present, jump to the past and tell things to explain how we got to where we are now, and continue from there. Or start in the past, jump to the most distant past, and resume in the set past. So it wouldn't be too unreasonable for the beginning to still be the past. I'd brainfogged on the start, so thank you for the reminder.

That means the end of DR0 and the memory wiped events of DR1 are actually blurred together, and the timeline needs to be changed just a little. The first version was tossed together in a nervous hurry. I'll revise it when I have time next.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Oh boy here we go again. Look at all the neat people that will be gone soon :smith: Twice as bad because most students actually look interesting, unlike some in the first game. (Yeah I went there.)

I mean just look at Ibuki.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Det_no posted:

Oh boy here we go again. Look at all the neat people that will be gone soon :smith: Twice as bad because most students actually look interesting, unlike some in the first game. (Yeah I went there.)

I mean just look at Ibuki.

Quoting this right now just incase Ibuki turns out to be the mastermind.

I agree though, I think it's a way weirder and more fun cast this time. Probably because since the devs were expecting people to have played DR1 and be used to off the wall poo poo, they were stepping it up.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Rawkking posted:

Not that likely. Junko prepared the laptop after all and even though she loves despair, I doubt she would purposedly backfire her plan by leaving Chihiro's past works around. Besides, any such data may trigger Chihiro's lost memories - he kind of remembered Naegi during the introduction after all.

Stoat posted:

I agree though, I think it's a way weirder and more fun cast this time. Probably because since the devs were expecting people to have played DR1 and be used to off the wall poo poo, they were stepping it up.
I wonder if the normal-looking people in the cast would have some unexpected quirk as well.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Beautiful Ruin [Summer Salt]

Off to the next location.

Here we are! But wait, there's a notification on the bottom left of the screen.

Hey, our pet hatched! Its name is Chibimi. I can give it presents with the triangle button, but I don't have any. So leave it to play by itself and move on.

Oh no! If only we’d had the means and opportunity to buy presents!

Wow... this is a pretty fancy looking hotel!

"Hotel Mirai"... Looks like they used a Japanese word to name their hotel.
When I heard we’d have to live here, I was afraid we’d be camping out, abandoning the comforts of modern life...

...But I guess we get to stay in the future after all! Heh... get it? ‘Cause “Mirai” means --
How can you make puns at a time like this?! We’ve been brought to a strange place, under suspicious circumstances...!
How can you just... accept this?! You look like you're actually enjoying this!

...In any case, it looks like this hotel will be our base. Don’t you think we should take a look around?

How?! How can he still be so calm?!

Doesn’t any of this bother him?!

...Maybe he's just shellshocked?

Tutorial posted:

When you push the triangle button in this area, a map appears on the screen.

The triangle button. I shall not repeat this twice, so please pay attention.

Some areas on the island open to small 3D areas, in the DR1 style. Let's explore.

And here I was thinking that the step-up in graphical quality in the hubs was due to them all being 2D.

Hey there.

This small cottage seems to be a hotel room.

There's a similar row of cottages on the other side of the main walkway, but let's move towards the main building.

Hrmmm...?
I don't think you've asked for my name yet...

My name’s Nekomaru Nidai.

The legendary "Super High-school Level Coach", NEKOMARU NIDAIIIIII!!

Nekomaru Nidai: Super High-school Level Coach

Nekomaru Nidai ( 弐大猫丸 ) is voiced by Hiroki Yasumoto. Here’s one other video game character Mr. Yasumoto played this year: Asura in Asura’s Wrath.

U...Um, nice to meet you. I'm... Hajime Hinata.

SPEAK UP, BOY! PUT YOUR BELLY INTO IT! AGAIN!!
U...Um, Hajime Hinata!

GAAAAAAH! YOU CAN DO BETTER! ONE MORE TIME!! GIVE IT ALL YOU GOT!! LET’S HEAR IT!!
I'm Hajime Hinata! Nice to meet you!

MY NAME IS NEKOMARU NIDAIIIIII! A NAME YOU WON'T FORGET! EVEN WHEN YOU'RE IN HELL!
"SUPER HIGH-SCHOOL LEVEL COACH" NEKOMARU NIDAI! THAT'S! MY! NAAAAAAAME!!
I...I get it! You don’t have to repeat it over and over!

GAHAHAHA! DULY NOTED!

My ears are still ringing! That voice of his is something else... and so is his body.

Nekomaru Nidai’s a "Super High-school Level Coach".
A... coach? That’s it? That’s all he is?
I mean... I know it’s his title and everything, but still... Just a coach?!

Of course he’s not “just a coach”! He’s a “Super High-school Level Coach”.
He's been moving from school to school, coaching their various sports teams.
For example, there was that group of delinquents he trained into a rugby team that won the national inter-school cup...
Then there was that baseball team he took from the brink of collapse all the way to the big leagues...
There's a rumor that a famous Japanese pitcher now playing for an American Major League team came to him for training.

I... I guess even coaching becomes impressive when you take it to "Super High-school Level"...

GAHAHAHA!

But, with that body of his, shouldn't he be a player instead of just a coach?

Hope Shard Acquired

Nekomaru Nidai
Height: 198cm / Weight: 122kg / Chest: 122cm / Blood type: A
Birthday: February 22
Hates: Lazy people
Title: Super High-school Level Coach

Let's continue exploring the hotel.

...Hey, retard. You have any idea who I am? Guess not... since you’re still here.

Uh oh. Maybe I should just back away...

What's up with that face? You got a problem with me?!

...C...Calm down, Kuzuryuu-kun. We just came here to introduce ourselves.

...Aa? Introductions?

Don't you remember? This guy hasn't introduced himself yet.

Feh.
I'm Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu... But make no mistake. We will not be friends.

Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu: Super High-school Level Gangster

Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu ( 九頭龍冬彦 ) is played by Daisuke Kishio, a veteran voice actor with many roles under his belt. Most of them are beautiful men.

His baby face is kinda cute, but he has a terrible attitude.

Kuzuryuu-kun is... the teenage successor of the Kuzuryuu family.
Wait... You don’t mean... that Kuzuryuu family...?!

Yep. Japan’s largest organized crime enterprise. 30,000 strong and growing.
I was hoping you’d heard of them. It saves us all a lot of... explaining.

So, yes. Kuzuryuu-kun is a "Super High-school Level Gangster".

A... A yakuza heir...? From the Kuzuryuu family...? A “Super High-school Level Gangster”...? That’s... that’s...

By the way, I heard "baby face" is a taboo word around him. Please be careful.
...You can never have too many fingers, you know.

And I... I was... I was about to...!

Komaeda... I owe you my life.

Ha ha... you're exaggerating. Probably.

Hey. You two. If you're done... get lost. Retards.

Hope Shard Acquired

Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu
Height: 157cm / Weight: 43kg / Chest: 73cm / Blood type: AB
Birthday: August 16
Hates: Milk
Title: Super High-school Level Gangster

Karinto is a deep-fried Japanese snack. Like many Japanese snacks, some people think it’s amazing while others take one look at it and are ready to vomit.

Ah! Hey, you're the guy who lost his head back on the beach, aren't you?
Um... Yeah, I am...

A man shouldn't be so fragile, you know? It's your job to protect us girls at times like this, isn't it?
I...I guess?

You're here for introductions, aren't you? I don't think we’ve made ours yet.

Um... My name is Mahiru Koizumi. Nice to meet you, I guess.

Mahiru Koizumi: Super High-school Level Photographer

Mahiru Koizumi ( 小泉真昼 ) is voiced by Yuu Kobayashi. She’s yet another very prolific voice actor in this game. Fans of Dangan Ronpa may have heard her as Kanon in the animated version of Umineko no Naku Koro Ni.

Koizumi-san’s a "Super High-school Level Photographer". She's a promising young talent, they say.
I don't know much about photography myself, but I heard she’s won all kinds of awards for her photos.
It seems she's best known for her characteristic portraits.

A “Super High-school Level Photographer”, huh?

I guess that explains the expensive-looking camera she’s hauling around.

I have to say I'm relieved. You two look like decent guys.
...Hm? Decent?

Everyone else here’s kinda weird, don't you think? I mean, they may all be "Super High-school Level" geniuses, but...
I was worried that maybe we wouldn’t get along. But I guess we’ll have to if we ever want to leave this island...
Wait, “leave this island”... we can leave?!

Huh? Didn't you know? That's what that stuffed doll Usami told us.

She said that after we gather every Hope Shard by becoming friends...

...This absurd “field trip” will be over and we can all leave this island. That's what she said.
W...We can leave the island?! Really? Did she really say that?!

You should really listen to what people say, you know! Otherwise you’ll miss the important details! Like that, just now!

So, Hinata-kun, did that calm you down a little?
If we can live here normally for a little while, we'll soon be able to leave this island.
There's no need for panic, see?
B...But, even so...
Why? Why is she making us do this? What's her motive? What’s the point?
It's ridiculous - dragging all of us to an island and telling us to become friends...
...It makes no sense!

You're right, we don't know her reasons. But, if that's what gets us off this island, we have no choice.

Well, I'm glad that's all we have to do. It's not such a big deal.

Not a big deal... Is that really so?

Here we are, on a so-called “field trip” in a strange place, without warning, consent or explanation...
...And we were told to forget about Hope's Peak Academy.

...How is this not a big deal?

...Hey!
...Eh?!

Don't "eh" me! Don't you think you should introduce yourself too? Or should I just keep standing here waiting?!
Oh, I'm sorry...
I'm Hajime Hinata. Um, nice to meet you.

Hinata-kun, is it...?

Well, I regret to inform you that you are hereby branded “Hinata-kun the unreliable”.

I expect you to work hard to shake that title off. Act more like a man!

...Hinata-kun. I think your wife is keeping you on a short leash.

I was was talking to both of you! Act more like real men, understand?!

Hope Shard Acquired

Mahiru Koizumi
Height: 165cm / Weight: 46kg / Chest: 77cm / Blood type: A
Birthday: April 24
Hates: People lacking manners
Title: Super High-school Level Photographer

orenronen fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 5, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Come on Kuzuryuu, don't you know that gangsters embrace their weird nicknames? "Baby-face" should instill terror into the hearts of all who hear it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Didn't someone call that lightning-eyebrows would be a coach?

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Goddamn, Spike upped the quality of writing for basically everything at this point. They did a really good job with the characters in the original, but there was always something to be desired--I think it was mostly because the characters were still relatively normal despite the Psychopop tone they reached for.

Here, though. They went all out on everybody, and it really shows. I don't think there's been a single character that I felt had a weak introduction.

Also, Super High-School Level Coach? This guy needs to survive so he can meet Sakura, those two teamed up together would create something to behold

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Oh, Nekomaru. You're everything I hoped you would be. Now you just need to make cat puns, and I can die happy.

Interesting that there's an actual gangster. Wonder if he'll fill the same general role as Togami, in being someone you expect to snap and murderfy but never does?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Well, Mahiru is refreshingly upfront. She also seems to have picked up Naegi's "wait what" expression.

Nekomaru is as over-the-top as expected, but in a good way. Good coaches always seem to toe the line between genius and madness.

No opinion on Fuyuhiko yet, although "Get lost, retards" *ding* Hope Shard! amuses me, for some reason.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Does Kuzuryuu speak with typical Yakuza speech in the Japanese version?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What does "Mirai" mean, and why is it unusual for a Japanese hotel to have a Japanese name?

I love lightning-eyebrows. He and corncob-hair should have beautiful anime babies.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Oh boy Kuzuryuu is giving big Togami vibes, but we already have a Togami............yep Togami is screwed :(

Nidai is exacly what I was expecting so no suprises there.

And I sooo hope Mahiru is the Hagakure of this game and she gets crazy later on despite appearing to be one of the more normal characters so far.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Also, Super High-School Level Coach? This guy needs to survive so he can meet Sakura, those two teamed up together would create something to behold

But she killed herself. Unless there's a Super High School Level Medium And/Or Seance Guy around, in which case :confuoot:

The photographer shares some character traits with Aoi, in an odd way; like a less ditzy, more artistic incarnation. I'm not sure I want to peg everyone in 2 as mashup characters, though.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

How is it that one of the most normal persons in this insane school is the gangster?

Don't know what to think about the Coach, is he on static electricity all the time causing his clothes to do that? The gangster is shaping up to be the new Togami (if Fatgami gets killed in the early chapters) and the photographer may be the slightly boring person who inevitably survives like Asahina did.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What does "Mirai" mean, and why is it unusual for a Japanese hotel to have a Japanese name?

I love lightning-eyebrows. He and corncob-hair should have beautiful anime babies.

It means future. I mean, even if you didn't know, it's kinda obvious from

orenronen posted:

...But I guess we get to stay in the future after all! Heh... get it? ‘Cause “Mirai” means --

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

To expand on it, it's not unusual for a Japanese hotel to have a Japanese name, but I imagine it is unusual for a Japanese hotel that has the word "Hotel" in English to then have a Japanese name.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

To expand on it, it's not unusual for a Japanese hotel to have a Japanese name, but I imagine it is unusual for a Japanese hotel that has the word "Hotel" in English to then have a Japanese name.

To expand on it even more, our characters do not believe they are currently in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

Nekomaru Nidai: Super High-school Level Coach
Oh boy, another SUPER-INTENSE character. Can't get enough of those. :geno:

Mahiru seems pretty down-to-earth, though. I hope she sticks around for a bit.

• Locked thread