Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

So they big up their weird sales but are completely silent about this? I don't understand how fedora dude thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It's probably not supposed to be live yet and will be their big announcement tomorrow or the next day.

I can confirm that Alien Crossfire is working.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I too can confirm AC is in there. I had to redownload it to see it - there's no option to update it - but it's definitely in there. Merry early christmas and/or end of the world, everybody! :flashfap:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eador has horrible lag problems and the only fixes I can find are throttling the CPU through Windows 7 power management or using a launcher with ntsleep.exe that straight up doesn't work. Great.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dungeon Keeper's expansion doesn't seem to be up yet, but Alpha Centauri is definately updated. What other games were missing expansions?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Commander Keenan posted:

EA expansion packs have been added to your accounts for free. Alien Crossfire, Righteous Fire, Secret Missions, et al.
Get the giant jumping gently caress outta here. Well I'll be danged.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

JebanyPedal posted:

I am not lying, or exaggerating, when I say Eador: Genesis is easily the best game that has been uploaded to this site yet. Good gently caress.

It's incredibly hard to find reviews of this game. How does it compare to Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic?

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!
Is Star Control 3 any good? I loved SC2.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Doesn't hold a candle to it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pottsdam posted:

Some disappointing sequels are considered bad merely because they are totally obscured by the shadow of their amazing predecessor, but I believe the consensus is that Star Control 3 falls a bit short of being a good game.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Pottsdam posted:

No. It is bad. Not moo3 bad but you are better off just playing SC2 again

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah, it's got a couple good races and a neat plotline or two, but overall it's really mediocre and the devs apparently thought "weak bullet swarm + secondary some sort of mine" was gold standard of ship design cause they used it everywhere

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

VisAbsoluta posted:

GK3 is good too, but hasn't aged so well.
Not only that, but its graphics were considered god awful even at the time of its release, and I don't think that anyone liked how it controls either. It's supposed to have a very good story though, so there's that.

I played through GK1 multiple times, and GK2 once (but consider it an excellent adventure), but I tried twice to get into GK3 and ended up stopping within the first hour of gameplay.

In another matter, I really like their Daedalic bundle (Whispered World, A new beginning, Edna and Harvey, Deponia, Chains of Satinav). It consists mostly of games that I don't own, and they all look awesome for adventure games.

The Assorted Indie Adventure bundle is great too, for anyone not having played Resonance, To The Moon and Machinarium.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Pottsdam posted:

Hell no. Everything that could possibly be worse is worse. The story is worse, combat is worse, exploring is worse, talking to aliens is worse, etc., etc. They even lifted some quests straight from SC2. For example, you get to fix the Ultron again!

To be fair, the original devs had nothing to do with SC3 (they've denounced it, even) and the game isn't considered canon; it's more along the lines of bad fan fiction. The publisher poo poo SC3 out just to try to rake in some more dough from SC1 + SC2 fans and it shows.

The rights to everything except the "Star Control" name ended up reverting to the original devs (now known as Toys for Bob), who have said several times over the past few years that they want to make a true sequel but lately they've been farting around with stuff like the whole "Skylanders" thing for consoles. They're raking in cash hand over fist with that right now so they will probably be doing that for awhile. I'm hoping against hope that they're just trying to make as much money as they can right now so that they can throw kajillions of dollars into a true Star Control sequel.

Edit: I should point out to anyone interested in buying Star Control 2: a superior version of the game can be obtained as open source freeware at: http://sc2.sourceforge.net -- the name's been changed to The Ur-Quan Masters for legal reasons but it's the same game with all the enhancements of the 3DO port (like remixed music and full, excellent voice acting) and a few extra enhancements added by the guys who released it. It's a new group of devs but they have the blessing of Toys for Bob, who approved this version and also approved the release of the source code. If you haven't played Star Control 2 yet, you really should and this is the version you should get. Do it now.

...! fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 20, 2012

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Gabriel Knight 1 is a classic adventure game. It's pretty long, it has a great plot, good writing, challenging (but well-done) puzzles, and a killer atmosphere. I think it's my favorite Sierra SCI game.

GK2 is really good for an FMV game. The Grace chapters can get pretty boring, but the Gabriel chapters and the ending make up for it.

I wouldn't bother with GK3 unless you get the bundle. Apart from the graphics, interface, and convoluted puzzles, the story isn't that great.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Commander Keenan posted:

EA expansion packs have been added to your accounts for free. Alien Crossfire, Righteous Fire, Secret Missions, et al.

Holy loving cockshit. I am never going to get any work done now, I kind of feel bad for the customers who are going to have to deal with me in the next few weeks when they interrupt my AC gaming.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Commander Keenan posted:

Incredible. This is so much more exciting/bigger news for a lot of us than the end of the world sale.

Thanks GOG, good work getting this stuff organised.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

So which of the Might and Magic (not Heroes of) games are the best? I'd like to try them out but I don't want to pay for the entire drat series, even at the super discounted rate.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the general feeling is that 7 is the best of the 3d ones while 6 and 8 are both alright as well. 4 and 5 are also supposed to be good but they're older.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
World of Xeen (4&5) are the best. Nice thing about the pack they come in is that it has 6 too so you can get a taste for the 3D games and see how you like them.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

And I will chime in here to say that you should start with 3 as it is excellent too, the graphics are almost on par with 4/5 and it's a wonderful world to explore.

If you were going to play 4/5, and have never played 3, then you are missing out. There's nothing about 3 that makes it any less playable than 4/5.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Was M&M 9 ever fan-patched or something to remove some of the more egregious bugs, like being locked out of your advanced class if you decided you wanted to take the other quest instead?

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Every time I go to their frontpage and see Arcanum at a discount, I get this huge urge to add it to my cart.

The thing is, it was literally the first game I bought on GoG a couple of years ago. :v:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

GOG should have a bundle deal on all the games that just got their add-ons/expansion packs included.

EDIT: Anyone able to name them all? Or is there doubtless gonna be a GOG announcement at 3pm today..?

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 20, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Commander Keenan posted:

Now, this? This is how you give your users what they wanted all along, which would justify the hype. And then they didn't hype this bit. Oh, GOG, I can't stay mad at you.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Welp, looks like Might and Magic 1 - 6 can only be bought in a pack. Guess that solves the problem of which one to buy.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Planescape Torment advice please: I set off the alarm in the mortuary and now everyone is attacking me. I am wearing dustman robes but it makes no difference. Will the alarm stop ringing at any point? Should I care about this? Have I missed out on some cool content?

I have had the talon woman stitch me for +1HP before the alarm went off.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Here's the official update on the EA Expansions, http://www.gog.com/news/holiday_update_ea_expansions

None of them are going to be in any bundles (so they say) so you can buy them now with little regret.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

A properly formatted list:

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
-Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire

Wing Commander 1 + 2
- Wing Commander: The Secret Missions
- Wing Commander: The Secret Missions 2 Crusade
- Wing Commander II: Special Operations 1
- Wing Commander II: Special Operations 2

Wing Commander Privateer
-Privateer Righteous Fire

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Are we allowed to offer/ask for trades here? I've got an extra code for Arcanum and I'll swap it for Alpha Centauri if anyone is keen.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jumped for joy when I saw Alien Crossfire this morning. I had no idea that was being added.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I was kinda hoping for the Syndicate expansion/sequel, but Alien Crossfire is really enough to have me making GBS threads my pants with joy, so hey! Can't complain! I never got to play it back in the day, so I was prepared to pay money for it if I had to, but I didn't have to! SWEET.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was kinda hoping for the Syndicate expansion/sequel

Syndicate Wars is pretty great (nuclear hand grenades + destructible buildings = YES), but the Syndicate expansion is just pure refined bullshit. It's like the insta-death maze of the original endgame over and over again.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Syndicate is actually one of those games I don't want to rebuy. I remember playing it so much on the Amiga back when it was released, but I also have a memory of combat literally consisting of spamming all the combat drugs the moment enemies approached.

I don't want my nostalgia to get crushed by reality :(

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Syndicate is actually one of those games I don't want to rebuy. I remember playing it so much on the Amiga back when it was released, but I also have a memory of combat literally consisting of spamming all the combat drugs the moment enemies approached.

That's pretty much how it worked. There's so much nostalgia surrounding it, but I'd much rather just play Cannon Fodder, which at least is focused around player skill rather than relying on aimbot AI.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh hell yes.
Been dying to get Alien Crossfire with AC.

Now we just need more soundtracks.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Deakul posted:

Oh hell yes.
Been dying to get Alien Crossfire with AC.

Now we just need more soundtracks.
Wait what, when was Crossfire added?

*looks at account* "Alpha Centauri - Updated"

And not a cent extra. I love you GOG :syoon:

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005
Whoa, I go to my account and the Might & Magic 6-pack has been updated too? With a new installer, like the EA games?

edit: It's almost 200 mb bigger than the old installer. Really curious as to what this is.

Dr. Sneer Gory fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 20, 2012

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Everyone posted:

Star Control 3 :words: :argh:

I'm going to dissent slightly and say that SC3 does have some good spots:

- Voice acting. The quality varies a bit overall, but on the whole the voicework is very well done - much, much better than what the 3DO SC2 got. The K'tang and Spathi are particular standouts in this regard. This is even more impressive given that the game dates from 1996 - developers by and large didn't even know how to do acting in their games yet, but a lot of the voicework in SC3 stacks up well even against modern competition.

- The Kessari Quadrant resident-related content can be cool: The game sadly does recycle a lot of concepts from SC2, but when the developers DID bother to write new content, it often ends up being pretty cool, and conceptually a lot of the aliens are pretty well done. The Owa and Xchaggers in particular stand out for me here. (The Xchaggers own so hard :3 )

- The combat engine. To be honest, I found the combat engine in SC3 the most enjoyable version of the engine to actually play, especially with the isometric perspective; heresy for some, I know, but there it is. The only real drawbacks are that the Doog exist and that it's missing a lot of legacy ships from SC1 and 2, particularly old Hierarchy and Chenjesu/Mmrnmhrm vessels.

It still has a lot of issues - recycled content, the music being MIDI instead of module (meaning it sounds different depending on hardware), travel not being as interesting, the colony-building being half-baked at best. I do think there's some joy to be found in it if you really liked Star Control 2, though. Just be prepared for a half-baked ending and at least one straight-out broken quest which SHOULD have been really cool had they bothered finishing implementing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Dr. Sneer Gory posted:

Whoa, I go to my account and the Might & Magic 6-pack has been updated too? With a new installer, like the EA games?

edit: It's almost 200 mb bigger than the old installer. Really curious as to what this is.

I wonder if they finally got the CD version of World of Xeen with full voice acting.