Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, I can understand. That version didn't have the orbs that revived you on the spot IIRC. And altered the difficulty so the normal mode was the Japanese hard mode.

It does have the Golden Orbs, but instead of instantly reviving you, they respawn you outside the boss room. Honestly, I think that the original western release of DMC3 is the best one in terms of difficulty. Every single level you beat in that game feels earned, and it makes the game so much more rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

I do hope (though I'm not holding my breath) that they've at least balanced poo poo for the retail version. Combat might then be a bit more meangingful than just spamming the axe.

I know nothing will be done about the Ikaruga style enemies though. I understand what they were going for, but being limited to 1/4 of your weapons doesn't make for much in the way of variety. It's not as if DMC and Bayonetta haven't done something similar in the past (the Plasma in DMC1 and the burning enemies in Bayonetta), but they went about it from the other angle; rather than limiting the player to a specific weapon, they barred the use of one type of weapon (and non-witch time melee in Bayo), and then let the player use their other weapons/moves to compensate.

Like, in those specific examples, Plasma enemies take no damage from Alastor, but they are vulnerable to Sparda/Force Edge, Ifrit and all the guns. The burning enemies are vulnerable to all of Bayo's guns, wicked weaves, torture attacks, and witch-time.

[e]: I wish that would come out on Xbox.
VVV

I always found the burning enemies profoundly gimmicky. I would rather have enemies that had counter windows or just something that required learning beyond merely "oh I use this to beat them..." which is the most trivial form of engagement.

The version in DmC is double dumb for this reason on roids.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
On their own the fire enemies are gimmicks, the interesting part is when they mix them into enemy waves. I hope we'll see some creative use of this in DmC, the night club demos they've released seems to indicate this will be the case.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

notZaar posted:

On their own the fire enemies are gimmicks, the interesting part is when they mix them into enemy waves. I hope we'll see some creative use of this in DmC, the night club demos they've released seems to indicate this will be the case.

Maybe my memory is just tainted by my irritation from the first time I met them.

I tried DMC3 again recently and it feels pretty primitive in comparison to DMC4, which feels pretty primitive in comparison to Bayonetta - while I don't really know what aspects of DmC will be super broken yet, so hm. I am pretty sure it won't be anything in comparison to Bayonetta though. That moment where I found out you could jump cancel tetsuzanko and just go absolutely berserkmode... Q_Q

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

BlackFrost posted:

I love how unbelievably wrong this is. :allears:

DmC ad: shows DMC4 in the background, pre-order button links to a page with DmC nowhere to be found, states it's a prequel, states it's developed by the people who developed Resident Evil 5.

That said, $6.80 for DMC4 on PC is a pretty sweet deal. Hell, that price is worth Legendary Dark Knight mode alone.

Origin promos are made by EA/Origin, not the game companies, so that's just someone at EA who doesn't know what they're talking about. The actual content of the store page for DmC is more on-point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

notZaar posted:

They're gimmicky then too. The only time they're not is when an ice and fire demon are mixed together so it doesn't just amount to "only use this one weapon" but instead "Don't hit the wrong one."

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
Hey! How can you guys post the Devil May Orb stuff without posting this one?

Not by me, by the way.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Brutakas posted:

That reminds me of a Sengoku Basara game I played where the character Keiji Maeda could cancel any of his moves into other moves and in turn cancel those and so on and so forth. In fact if you died you could also cancel out of your death.

here's a gameplay video that doesn't really demonstrate what I just said but it can give you an idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lEQ05gY0Bg

as a bonus you can see not-vergil around 2 minutes in

You my friend, are mostly right, though to be fair, Not-Vergil can be used for two people in Basara, Mitsunari, and Uesugi Kenshin.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

I find it funny that something that used to be an unlockable, that had to be earned, is now preorder DLC. Even if extra costumes are often (except for "Super") superficial, it still seems like just another thing that's been stripped from the series.

ed: I'm not sure, but is he cosplaying as the chick from Heavenly Sword? nope

wildzero fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 19, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wildzero posted:

I find it funny that something that used to be an unlockable, that had to be earned, is now preorder DLC. Even if extra costumes are often (except for "Super") superficial, it still seems like just another thing that's been stripped from the series.

This seems to be a trend for Capcom, RE5 shipped with about 7 or 8 Mercenaries maps, 6 has 3, the other 3 will cost you a dollar each, and more coming at higher prices.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

Anything here, or am I grasping at straws?

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

Salsa McManus posted:

Anything here, or am I grasping at straws?

I think we found the development stills collection. You should tell us how you got into Tameem's secret stash.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Oh my god, The Crow. :psyduck: They really were aiming for 90s emo bullshit.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

wildzero posted:

There is at least one unlockable costume for DmC, and that's white hair Dante. :effort: I know. But yeah, the taint of DLC has spread.

Jesus loving christ. Why does this game keep presenting things for us to mock? :cripes:

I love it :unsmigghh:

[e]: The soundtrack is out 8th Jan:

You can listen to samples here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devil-Original-Soundtrack-Bonus-Version/dp/B00AN5DRHK

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 19, 2012

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
To be honest I think DT Dante with his white hair and red jacket looks kind of lovely on this version of Dante. It just doesn't suit him.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Yeah, his DT look in this is rather lacking. It still would have been better for them to have made him look like a demon, or angel or whatever bullshit. It seems rather contradictory to say "Old Dante would be laughed out of a bar dressed like that; here, have New Dante DT, looking like the Old one."

It might have been more visually impressive though, if they hadn't been beaten by Alice Madness: Returns, doing pretty much exactly the same type of visuals (monochrome, with bold red standing out).

Same for some of the enemies as well, honestly (which is not to say that A:MR has a monopoly of dripping, cracked porcelain-faced, bio-mechanical things).

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Yeah, Madness Returns had an amazing aesthetic. It really also helps that the game would cycle between these two states of crazy dreamlands with lots of amazing visuals and dreary industrial London.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Started playing DMC4 and I'm reminded of another reason why I've beaten Bayonetta more times than I care to count, but have never any DMC except DMC1 once. I can't stand the constant running back and forth, looking for whatever will unlock the next area. There's nothing fun about it, just busywork and backtracking, and is just a convenient way for the designers to reuse the same areas over and over and over. If I wanted that kind of gameplay I'd just play Resident Evil. If the fighting hadn't been this fun I would have shelved it again after a few minutes. Next time I play I'm definitely investing in the speed ability, goddamn. Any other abilities that are a must buy?

Oh, and one question - I've beaten the first boss (fire demon thing) a couple of times but I haven't managed to avoid his AOE attack even once. I start running away but Nero automatically throws up his arms to shield himself - and fails miserably. What the heck should I do to avoid it?

Also, the female order assassin or whatever she's supposed to be has one of the silliest outfits I've seen in a game. This is DMC, alright.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 20, 2012

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
You can Shuffle through it. I generally find it easiest to just DT and use the invincible frames on it to go through the burst, but you can't do that on a first playthrough.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Renoistic posted:

Started playing DMC4 and I'm reminded of another reason why I've beaten Bayonetta more times than I care to count, but have never any DMC except DMC1 once. I can't stand the constant running back and forth, looking for whatever will unlock the next area. There's nothing fun about it, just busywork and backtracking, and is just a convenient way for the designers to reuse the same areas over and over and over. If I wanted that kind of gameplay I'd just play Resident Evil. If the fighting hadn't been this fun I would have shelved it again after a few minutes. Next time I play I'm definitely investing in the speed ability, goddamn. Any other abilities that are a must buy?

Oh, and one question - I've beaten the first boss (fire demon thing) a couple of times but I haven't managed to avoid his AOE attack even once. I start running away but Nero automatically throws up his arms to shield himself - and fails miserably. What the heck should I do to avoid it?

Also, the female order assassin or whatever she's supposed to be has one of the silliest outfits I've seen in a game. This is DMC, alright.

Its a holdover from DMC's original survival horror roots.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its a holdover from DMC's original survival horror roots.

Yeah, I suppose. They should've fixed that by the fourth game, though.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Looks like the guys from Escape Plan are making a cameo too.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Renoistic posted:

Yeah, I suppose. They should've fixed that by the fourth game, though.

The backtracking is worse in this game, because that's all they do with Dante's stuff. That you're playing as Dante (and that the combat gets a million times more involved) with all his fun quips and things helps ease it somewhat. But they cocked up somewhere (luckily it wasn't with the fighting system though :allears:).

Gloria is...well. You'll find out. She's not really there for anything other than T&A.

[e]: I'm trying to source it, but this was apparently CA for Dante:

Edgy.

[e2]: And Mission 7 (upside down city)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa88t5Zrg2E

But with Aqulia, and without the obnoxious twats who were speaking over it. Not that the ingame dialogue is that much better TBH.

And a highlights reel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApD3dRZ-aEc

I seem to be wrong about my ealier comment, he says :geno: "Ambush. Flucking bastards".

Why is the VA sooo bad?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 20, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Now I'm fighting a giant demon ice frog that's attacking me with its two semi-sentient lesbian nymph feelers. What the hell. And I thought Bayonetta was insane.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Renoistic posted:

Now I'm fighting a giant demon ice frog that's attacking me with its two semi-sentient lesbian nymph feelers. What the hell. And I thought Bayonetta was insane.

Remember to Buster its tongue and don't get eaten cause you don't have DT to get outta there.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
They're not being too subtle about this.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Renoistic posted:

I start running away and jump once, this prevents Nero from throwing up his arms and the range on that fire AoE is shorter in the air. Also jumping nets you a few invincibility frames that may make the difference between getting hit or not. Just make sure not to double jump as you will lose your invincibility frames early.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know it dawns on me that this poo poo has happened before, a poorly received reboot that just ends up killing the dev studio, back in 2009 with Bionic Commando.

The sad thing is that Grin wanted to make a Bionic Command similar to Re-armed in 3D but Capcom didn't let me, even Steve Blum has mentioned that the game turned out more serious than he thought it would and they didn't use a lot of the lines he recorded.

Its amazing how Capcom never seems to learn.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This is actually the third time this has happened with Capcom. The first was with Final Fight X: Streetwise. Though the developer went against Capcom's woshes and tried to make everything a goofy as possible.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Y'know, I don't even dislike The Crow, but the reference goes to show the signifigant difference in attitude this game is coming from. Original Recipe Dante was more like a character out of a Sam Raimi production. But just because he has white hair, an oversized sword and zwees around the screen, people chalk him up as being a "dumb anime character."

Anyone who knows anything about dumb anime characters can tell you they don't have a sense of humor :colbert: Just look at 90% of the Final Fantasy protagonists

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Renoistic posted:

Like with all DMC bosses, expect to get spanked until you got the patterns memorized. The AoE attack originates from the ground, so double jumping and holding yourself aloft with a few shots will help put you outside the blast radius without putting too much ground distance between you and the boss.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
OK, thanks for the help with the fire demon thing. The frog thing wasn't all that hard and went down pretty fast. I'm guessing the challenge is going to ramp up, soon, though.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Renoistic posted:

The backtracking has more to do with DMC's legacy as a Kamiya making a Resident Evil spinoff based around action instead of survival horror. That's actually what the original concept was, with Dante being a STARS-equivalent character with special gear instead of demonic power. You can see that a lot in the way you explore the castle and surrounding areas looking for keys and crests and poo poo. The fact that it remains in DMC3 and 4 isn't really excusable, but it's meant to give the environment more time to soak in instead of being room after room of combat. The biggest issue I have with DMC4 in that regard is that faster running is something you have to pay for, which is bullshit.

As for abilities, if you haven't learned to start tapping Exceed as you swing you totally should. If you're super awesome you can grab Max-ACT and Exceed Level 2 and 3 and start making GBS threads super-powered fire attacks (all of Nero's moves get jacked up to insane levels with this, but it is loving hard to do it well; I can only get Max-ACT maybe one in ten swings). But really, before all that, get Charge Shot 3. Charge shot 1 and 2 are kinda meh, but 3 implants a loving exploding bullet into the target that explodes a few seconds later. Hold charge, do some melee combos, shoot a dude and then Buster him for a pretty easy style bump.

Also, the next 'boss' is kind of a gimmick, but it has a great payoff. The boss after that is pretty fun but the real treat is the two bosses after that; definitely my two favourite bosses in the game.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The lack of guidance can make the first playthrough pretty frustrating, but the best part about these games is that you will come back for more later. Once you have an idea of the layout of an area, you shouldn't have any trouble navigating it, and you can just focus on the incredibly good combat.

DMC1 had a marker on the map that showed you where you were supposed to go next. I have no idea why that wasn't carried over to the later games.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Enemy screenshots:

The Drekavac:

"Masked Swordmaster who seeks only to be the strongest.
A former human swordsman who got twisted by his ego of being the strongest one.
He has unbelievable speed and has perfected his skil to instant teleportation.
He only seeks stronger enemies, and once he senses one he will attack with all means neccesary."

Reminds me of the Seven Sin enemies from 3, only dressed as gimps.They can apparently block bullets (not that guns seem to be that useful in DmC). Probably higher tier enemies.

Butcher:

"Genocidal computer.
A demon formed in the cyber network.
He pilots the destructive robot with saws through a glass screen.
The robot itself is near indestructable, but the screen is his only weak point."

A lovely, knock-off CYBER-DEMON. I hope these enemies will be challenging, at least.

[e]: OrB: Devils are Orbs
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 20, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

WeaponBoy posted:

But really, before all that, get Charge Shot 3. Charge shot 1 and 2 are kinda meh, but 3 implants a loving exploding bullet into the target that explodes a few seconds later. Hold charge, do some melee combos, shoot a dude and then Buster him for a pretty easy style bump.

CS3 also makes dealing with certain enemies further in the game a lot easier, since the shot renders them vulnerable/you safe. If you haven't done so already, I find it best to bind Nero's shoot button to a trigger since it takes a rather long time to charge a shot and you could be attacking while waiting for it.

^^^: Goddamn, with the recent Orb May Cry 4 posts, seeing the Drekavac with it's red-orb-like face made me wonder if your post was actually real and I wasn't seeing poo poo.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 20, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
that masked swordman gun sounds a lot like Vergil 1 from DMC3. Maybe he'll be a stripped down Vergil? Kind of like how Joys in Bayonetta are Jeannes with gimped AI and stats.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Could be. That's a pretty decent thing, if so, and if they present a challange.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hope I'm not the only one who thought his head was an Orb when I first saw the picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who thought his head was an Orb when I first saw the picture.

Nope. I started cracking up before I realized it wasn't actually an orb.

• Locked thread