Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Duping those stones is really easy, if you want to go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
NG+ is super deadly. Also I had this "running out of steam" in my first game, because I was too powered up really. The game is much better when you dont powergame it and do the first stages first and then switch to the secondary ones etc.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Continuing my blind stream in a few minutes.

Plan for this evening is boss of 4-1, then 5-1

http://www.twitch.tv/madmoggy

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

actionjackson posted:

I wouldn't say there are many "bullshit" parts of the game, except for some of the stuff Maneater and False King pulls.

It might just have been me, but after playing a ton of Dark Souls and going back to Demon's to do Platinum, I found Maneaters to be super easy, compared to O+S (Spoiled for Angrymog's blind run)

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Yeah it's much more like Bell Gargoyles only they hit harder

I hate the upgrade system in this game, it has some neat variations but a lot of the branches seem absolutely worthless and I'm disappointed that blacksmiths don't just sell me their goddamned ore. :(

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
If I miss an NPC in an area and kill the boss before speaking to them, am I screwed out of interacting with them? I think I've found everyone so far, but I just want to make sure in case I rush through a level later on.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

No, though some of them are based on world tendency. Also some will move to the next level after you defeat the boss, like the merchant in world one.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I think I've annoyed enough people tonight in Latria.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

FrickenMoron posted:

I think I've annoyed enough people tonight in Latria.

Or the same poor person many many times?

The real Demon's Souls begins with you.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Do I really have to go through 5-1 every time I want to buy magic juice?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Not sure what juice you mean but IIRC nothing that's sold in 5-1 is unique and you can get it somewhere else. Although I don't think you'll like 5-2 any better.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Filthy woman sells spice. That's what I mean.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Oh ok yes there is definitely a more convenient and cheap place to buy that in another first tier level. Not sure how much you want to be spoiled but its in 3-1 in one of the cells. Listen for the merchant singing.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
So? Boldwin sells Fresh Spice for 350 a pop

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I missed both of those. Oops.

Edit: as in I didn't realize they sold spice, not that I missed the blacksmith :downs:

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 19, 2012

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

A fun feature that I didn't realize at first: Two people actually sell Fresh Spice in the Nexus. The first is Boldwin, and the second is Patches.

Boldwin sells his for 350 souls.

Patches sells his for 800.

:allears:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I just nearly killed patches because he doesn't know how to move away from an obviously exploding lava bear.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I just nearly killed patches because he doesn't know how to move away from an obviously exploding lava bear.

Yeah, he always takes a lot of damage but doesn't aggro. :v:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I missed both of those. Oops.

Edit: as in I didn't realize they sold spice, not that I missed the blacksmith :downs:

Singing Lady in 3-1 is the best place to buy spice.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Isn't he basically guaranteed to die on like NG+5 and above?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah but its not till NG+9 I think.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Even if you kill it before it drops down? That thing is pretty far away from him.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zoness posted:

Isn't he basically guaranteed to die on like NG+5 and above?

I think he always lives.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Even if you kill it before it drops down? That thing is pretty far away from him.

It was still hanging on the ledge when I killed it and it did more than half of his health in damage on NG.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Do NPC's see their health increase in NG+?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

il serpente cosmico posted:

Black Phantom NPC's do at least

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

il serpente cosmico posted:

Yeah. I think everything with HP get a new HP each + to a max of seven +s where the game caps out.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

So is online play (specifically PvP) still alive at all on the EU server?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The real Demon's Souls starts here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1D_hNueCiM

I like how he gets one-shot by a single fire attack from a depraved one, even with the buckler.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 20, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
God drat. I just today had my first real "The true Demon's Souls starts here" fight with a boss: Maneaters. I don't know what's ahead in 4-2, 5-2, or the next tier, but so far I'd say that's the hardest boss in the game and harder than almost anything in Dark Souls. What a bitch of a fight, glad it's over with.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

God drat. I just today had my first real "The true Demon's Souls starts here" fight with a boss: Maneaters. I don't know what's ahead in 4-2, 5-2, or the next tier, but so far I'd say that's the hardest boss in the game and harder than almost anything in Dark Souls. What a bitch of a fight, glad it's over with.

As a DkS first player, this was my hardest fight so far as well.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Is there any way to get the custard tornado without assuming the form of the Old Monk? Can he drop it at all?

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Is there any way to get the custard tornado without assuming the form of the Old Monk? Can he drop it at all?

You gotta have someone drop it for you or Old Monk it up yourself.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Nearly killed the Maneaters 3 times, but my old Nemesis - the ledge got the better of me.

However World 2 is cleared.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

What's so difficult about Maneater? The character I've completed 3-2 on was a Hiltless/Sticky Compound Longbow+5 build and I killed Maneater on my first try.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

KaneTW posted:

What's so difficult about Maneater? The character I've completed 3-2 on was a Hiltless/Sticky Compound Longbow+5 build and I killed Maneater on my first try.

-Two of them
-Narrow walkway
-Charge attack which could nearly kill my character, nevermind if they each did it in succession
-sonic wave type attack that knocks you back, usually off of the ledge unless you're extremely careful

I did have the first maneater pretty much dead on my first try, but I got stuck between the ledge and both of them and had no choice but to die because I had backed myself into a corner. After that I had lovely attempt after lovely attempt before I finally killed them.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

KaneTW posted:

I mean with a bow you can snipe the first one from outside the fog door, so...

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Worldwide Panther posted:

I mean with a bow you can snipe the first one from outside the fog door, so...

Seriously? I was experimenting a little bit with wizard blasting the first one(I don't think the angle is right anyway) but it seemed like my soul arrow was just hitting the fog and dispersing.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

KaneTW posted:

Try using melee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

KaneTW posted:

Bows make the fight really easy--you can almost kill one of them as it slowly saunters across the walkway if you have a strong bow (like the Lava Bow or upgraded Sticky Bow if you're a dex character). It's challenging when you try to take them melee. They love to push you off the walkway, and engaging two strong enemies in either of the souls games is much, much harder than just 1.

• Locked thread