Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You forgot #3: Nintendo of Europe will release it, just to further make the American fans cry.

There is literally no other game or compilation of games that would make me import an entire handheld system for it, but holy hell I will do whatever it takes to get MOTHER 1-3 in English on a 3DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
For what it's worth Amazon Warehouse deals has a bunch of Playstation, Playstation 2, Dreamcast, and a few n64 titles ranging anywhere from 1-6 dollars. Majority of those games are complete or brand new.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1356073965/ref=sr_st?page=1&me=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&rh=n%3A1267878011%2Cn%3A1294448011&sort=price

It's not as good as the Buy two get Two Gamestop sale but at those prices it's pretty darn close(also with free shipping for Prime members or orders over 25 bucks).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I bought my copy of Xenoblade from Nintendo directly? :confused:

I'm 100% positive if Gamestop didn't step in as a physical distributor NoA would have never considered it.

And yes, if Mother 1-3 on 3DS was a real thing I would import it day 1.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

For what it's worth Amazon Warehouse deals has a bunch of Playstation, Playstation 2, Dreamcast, and a few n64 titles ranging anywhere from 1-6 dollars. Majority of those games are complete or brand new.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1356073965/ref=sr_st?page=1&me=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&rh=n%3A1267878011%2Cn%3A1294448011&sort=price

It's not as good as the Buy two get Two Gamestop sale but at those prices it's pretty darn close(also with free shipping for Prime members or orders over 25 bucks).

That's a lot of sports games.

I went to my local retro arcade this evening and I'm really liking the place even if I can't get there very often. I managed to set the top three scores on Sinistar to:

pre:
RUN
COW
ARD
I was going to make the scoreboard also say "BEWARE I LIVE" but I ran out of time.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

There is literally no other game or compilation of games that would make me import an entire handheld system for it, but holy hell I will do whatever it takes to get MOTHER 1-3 in English on a 3DS.

At the way carts prices are now, it might be cheaper to import a used euro 3ds and a copy of the mother series (in the scenario that euro gets the only English copy of the mother trilogy)

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Yeah, I have had Earthbound for SNES since I was 13, Mother 2 for SFC since I was 16, and I got 3 and 1+2 when I was 20, so even six years later I'd say I'm willing to do whatever it goddamn takes to be able to play all three in my native language. It could be 3X as expensive, I am THAT GUY when it comes to this series.

Especially for M3, the Sound Battle mechanic just does not work right on Emulation, there is a delay one way or another.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Yeah, I have had Earthbound for SNES since I was 13, Mother 2 for SFC since I was 16, and I got 3 and 1+2 when I was 20, so even six years later I'd say I'm willing to do whatever it goddamn takes to be able to play all three in my native language. It could be 3X as expensive, I am THAT GUY when it comes to this series.

Especially for M3, the Sound Battle mechanic just does not work right on Emulation, there is a delay one way or another.

I was the same way, except got EarthBound a lot younger (when it came out).

I traded my 3DS for a Vita, but even if the 3DS doesn't get a price drop I would need to get one again if a Mother trilogy was released anywhere. Not getting my hopes up about it though, I'm happy playing Mother 1 translated on GBA.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

At the way carts prices are now, it might be cheaper to import a used euro 3ds and a copy of the mother series (in the scenario that euro gets the only English copy of the mother trilogy)

Well since part of the reason the game isn't getting a re-release is copyright infringement having to do with music, and at least three of those infringed songs are from The Beatles, I'm guessing the Euro region would be pretty SOL too.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Edison Carter posted:

Well since part of the reason the game isn't getting a re-release is copyright infringement having to do with music, and at least three of those infringed songs are from The Beatles, I'm guessing the Euro region would be pretty SOL too.

There was a list from an "inside source" that claimed there were only like 5 problems of the potential dozens in that big list from a while ago that actually had the lawyers spooked, and only 1 or 2 of them were kind of a problem. The big problem was NCL wouldn't let NOA touch the ROM to change them for some reason.

Random Stranger posted:

That's a lot of sports games.

I went to my local retro arcade this evening and I'm really liking the place even if I can't get there very often. I managed to set the top three scores on Sinistar to:

pre:
RUN
COW
ARD
I was going to make the scoreboard also say "BEWARE I LIVE" but I ran out of time.

I love you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Discount Viscount posted:

There was a list from an "inside source" that claimed there were only like 5 problems of the potential dozens in that big list from a while ago that actually had the lawyers spooked, and only 1 or 2 of them were kind of a problem. The big problem was NCL wouldn't let NOA touch the ROM to change them for some reason.

Which is weird because there's a handful of stuff on VC that has on-the-fly ASM patches. I'm sure there's a Nintendo title or two in there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Which is weird because there's a handful of stuff on VC that has on-the-fly ASM patches. I'm sure there's a Nintendo title or two in there.

It's more that they don't want the content changed, rather than it being difficult to do so. What's the EU's version of the RIAA? That'd probably be the main obstacle to getting the hypothetical Europe release of whatever's coming.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's more that they don't want the content changed, rather than it being difficult to do so. What's the EU's version of the RIAA? That'd probably be the main obstacle to getting the hypothetical Europe release of whatever's coming.

In Britain, it's the BPI. Worldwide, it's the IFPI which are both based in the UK

I'm thinking it'll be a compilation for 3DS and won't leave Japan. The fact we got Mother 2 in the US (and nearly Mother 1) looks more and more like a anomaly.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I'd buy a WiiU without hesitation tomorrow if it was announced that the Mother trilogy would come to the US WiiU store.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

pre:
RON
HOW
ARD

That's completely awesome.

So I recently released an album on bandcamp, which is a great platform for independent music publishing. I was looking at traffic graph on the artist stats page, when I noticed an odd link labeled "defender"

is this some kind of spam filtering or something I don't even

:monocle:

it's simple (you just fly around shooting landers) but playable.

h_double fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 21, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Holy poo poo that's awesome! I love stuff like that.

Also I totally want a romhack of Sinistar where he says RON, HOWARD! now. :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Island Nation posted:

In Britain, it's the BPI. Worldwide, it's the IFPI which are both based in the UK

I'm thinking it'll be a compilation for 3DS and won't leave Japan. The fact we got Mother 2 in the US (and nearly Mother 1) looks more and more like a anomaly.

There was a brief period where console RPGs were this new, unexplored territory and Nintendo was pushing it hard. I blame bad timing. Mother 1 came out right around the SNES and NoA was pushing that hard (just look at that stupid "DON'T IMPORT ILLEGAL FAMICOMS YOU'LL BLOW UP YOUR TV" flier a few pages back). Mother 2 had the misfortune of coming out after Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy which made it look like a Saturday morning cartoon in comparison. And sure enough, majority of the criticism was leveled at its "NES quality" graphics and simplistic gameplay.

But Jap RPGs are a hot commodity and I think Earthbound can really shine if Nintendo gave it even 1/4 of the advertisement strength of a Mario title. Hell, 1/6 of the advertisement dollars.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

al-azad posted:

Mother 2 had the misfortune of coming out after Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy which made it look like a Saturday morning cartoon in comparison.

To be fair, Mother 2 made Mother 2 look like a Saturday morning cartoon, visually anyway. :v:

[I love the style though, don't take that the wrong way]

But yeah, that pretty much sucks for it at release, being released after two of the biggest RPGs on the platform. I remember some advertising for it and of course Nintendo Power going apeshit over it, but yeah, it didn't have the market dominance that FF6 or CT had.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Discount Viscount posted:

To go into further detail, the biggest issues keeping Earthbound from a re-release are, apparently, if this inside source is correct:

1. The song that plays during the Sky Runner scenes. It bears quite a significant resemblance to the intro of Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who.

2. The Chuck Berry/Johnny B. Goode (Retro Hippie) battle music seems to be too close for comfort as well.

3. The name of the Dali's Clock enemy needs to be changed. I find this to be the oddest of all, but apparently Salvador Dali's estate are notoriously litigation happy dicks.

The Hippie battle music, as much as it would suck to lose it, could easily be replaced with another battle theme. The Dali's Clock is another easy fix. A dude in the comments over there actually suggested renaming it "Persistent Clock" which I actually think is a more clever name!

The biggest issue is obviously the Sky Runner song, as it's used specifically for those sequences. It could be replaced with the bus trip music, or possibly with a similar song that was used in Mother 3. I'm wondering (and hoping) if resolving these issues is part of the republication process Itoi just started talking about.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I don't know much about copyright and such, but I feel like they've changed the "ripoff" songs enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Who's put a GBA SP screen in a wide GBA? I think I'd be able to do it myself but aren't there a few different converter cables you need to choose from or something?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Panic Restaurant posted:

To go into further detail, the biggest issues keeping Earthbound from a re-release are, apparently, if this inside source is correct:

1. The song that plays during the Sky Runner scenes. It bears quite a significant resemblance to the intro of Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who.

2. The Chuck Berry/Johnny B. Goode (Retro Hippie) battle music seems to be too close for comfort as well.

3. The name of the Dali's Clock enemy needs to be changed. I find this to be the oddest of all, but apparently Salvador Dali's estate are notoriously litigation happy dicks.

The Hippie battle music, as much as it would suck to lose it, could easily be replaced with another battle theme. The Dali's Clock is another easy fix. A dude in the comments over there actually suggested renaming it "Persistent Clock" which I actually think is a more clever name!

The biggest issue is obviously the Sky Runner song, as it's used specifically for those sequences. It could be replaced with the bus trip music, or possibly with a similar song that was used in Mother 3. I'm wondering (and hoping) if resolving these issues is part of the republication process Itoi just started talking about.

The intro in retro hippie is probably the biggest issue as well. The guitar riff in Johnny B. Goode is super iconic but they can probably get away with the rest of the song.

I would totally take altered music if it meant releasing these games to a new generation that would very likely welcome them with open arms.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

In the OP it says that this thread is really focused on pre-PS2, but I'm not sure where else this question would fit in this forum. I have some PS2 games (and the system) and I am inclined to just throw them away, but if there is a way for me to make some easy money then I will do that instead. Here is what I have:

Bully
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy XII
Front Mission 4
God of War 2
Katamari Damacy
Kill Switch (in one of those lovely GameStop blank cases)
Mercenaries
Mercenaries 2
Psychonauts
Shadow of the Colossus
Silent Hill 2
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow

So. Has enough time passed to where collectors (or anybody) will want any of these? If so are they worth anything actually substantial? I'm not bothering with hanging on to them if all I'm gonna make is $5 or something. All are open but in playable condition, and I am receptive to the idea that this is a stupid post because I know nothing about game collecting.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

owl_pellet posted:

So. Has enough time passed to where collectors (or anybody) will want any of these?

You aren't going to get collector's prices for any of those, but you can probably make a little cash if you want to get rid of them... none of these are really going to make you big bank in the future, but sell them now and get enough to buy a couple new games that you might actually play.

That said, you'll probably pocket around a $5 average each for those depending on condition and bulk sales.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
I'm not sure about ps2 but the Xbox version of psychonauts is more valuable than the bottom of the barrel games. Maybe like 15-20 bucks

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Brillo_Pad posted:

I'm not sure about ps2 but the Xbox version of psychonauts is more valuable than the bottom of the barrel games. Maybe like 15-20 bucks

Depends on condition and luck...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Psychonauts-Sony-PlayStation-2-2005-/170911979232?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item27cb25d6e0

But on average, his collection of games will probably net him around $5 each.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Great, thanks for the replies dudes.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

al-azad posted:

The intro in retro hippie is probably the biggest issue as well. The guitar riff in Johnny B. Goode is super iconic but they can probably get away with the rest of the song.

I would totally take altered music if it meant releasing these games to a new generation that would very likely welcome them with open arms.

The Johnny B. Goode riff is a note-for-note copy from the opening riff of Louis Jordan's 1946 Ain't That Like A Woman, but IP law isn't always the most sensible or predictable.

I always figured that a lot of the reason Mother 3 never got a US release is that while NoA isn't quite as zealous about censorship as they were in the 80s and 90s, I'm not sure if/how they would deal a "kiddie" game including stuff like the main character's mom getting killed by a stake through the chest, or the "fairies" who are massive gay leathermen stereotypes.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

I tried to PM you but you have no platty :(
I'll give you :10bux: for Silent Hill 2 and God of War 2 shipped.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

h_double posted:

I always figured that a lot of the reason Mother 3 never got a US release is that while NoA isn't quite as zealous about censorship as they were in the 80s and 90s, I'm not sure if/how they would deal a "kiddie" game including stuff like the main character's mom getting killed by a stake through the chest, or the "fairies" who are massive gay leathermen stereotypes.

Considering that stuff like Saint's Row 3 was released in America to much praise on the PS3, 360, and PC. You would think that anything below that in terms of graphic violence and absurdity would be fine. Also NOA/NOJ apparently contributed alot of funding to Bayonetta 2. If it's even at the same level as the original it's probably going to have alot of stuff that Nintendo games never really had before. Then again they announced only being able to buy M rated titles form their E-Shop after 11pm.

So I really don't think anything in Earthbound and it's sequels wouldn't even come close to stuff like that. The violence they feature is nothing major at all.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
My point is that Earthbound was marketed as an all-ages kid friendly game. It's a series that I suspect would be seen as "too kiddie" by a lot of US audiences in their teens/20s, yet there a handful of pretty dark / bizarre moments that wouldn't sit well with little kids (or their parents).

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

h_double posted:

My point is that Earthbound was marketed as an all-ages kid friendly game. It's a series that I suspect would be seen as "too kiddie" by a lot of US audiences in their teens/20s, yet there a handful of pretty dark / bizarre moments that wouldn't sit well with little kids (or their parents).

At this point, if they ever do anything with that series again outside of Japan, they know they're marketing it at the crazy rear end Earthbound fans, who know what they're getting. They're not going to throw it out there like some huge release. Dragon Quest has colorful, friendly, silly Akira Toriyama art for everything, but that hasn't caused anyone to change anything when taking the more recent releases outside of Japan. They know their audience, and they sell to them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

h_double posted:

It's the same target demographics as the Super Mario All Stars Wii Collection and the Kirby Wii Collection. If anything the re-release is going to be marketed to "People who like old games" demographic and the "Nintendo Devout who will buy anything Nintendo" demographic.

I don't think we need to worry about parents in any situation relating to old videogames.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Considering that stuff like Saint's Row 3 was released in America to much praise on the PS3, 360, and PC. You would think that anything below that in terms of graphic violence and absurdity would be fine. Also NOA/NOJ apparently contributed alot of funding to Bayonetta 2. If it's even at the same level as the original it's probably going to have alot of stuff that Nintendo games never really had before. Then again they announced only being able to buy M rated titles form their E-Shop after 11pm.

So I really don't think anything in Earthbound and it's sequels wouldn't even come close to stuff like that. The violence they feature is nothing major at all.

Yes, Saint's Row 3 was released on the PS3, 360 and PC. But this is NOA. With NOA as a publisher no less. They don't really care what anyone has to say about Saint's Row, I think.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am saying don't hold your breath.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
There's a big cross-cultural thing where we all try to look more decent than we actually are, I think, but it's getting less and less like that. At least, I'm sure that's why Mortal Kombat got green blood in Japan and why Capcom censored the NA releases of Darkstalkers and Jojos.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Creators are giving kids a bit more respect these days. Pixar especially has a lot of dark moments in their otherwise kid friendly movies. I was actually shocked in The Incredibles when they showed a skeleton of a dead super and the villain went on about how he basically lured all the heroes from retirement and murdered them with his robot. A brief scene where someone dies off screen isn't going to hurt kids.

The Magypsies are a little different but I think they were handled well. They're effeminate guys in drag but they don't act offensively like hitting on the characters. They're actually pretty aloof and jerkish, just like I would expect from classic faeries.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

al-azad posted:

The Magypsies are a little different but I think they were handled well. They're effeminate guys in drag but they don't act offensively like hitting on the characters. They're actually pretty aloof and jerkish, just like I would expect from classic faeries.

I don't even think that would be an issue either. Look at all the stuff Atlus and NIS has published and released in America. Nobody in any major form of media ever complained about what took place in Persona 4.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I've been watching Chrontendo lately, and holy poo poo there were a lot of Japan-exclusive games for the Famicom. :psyduck:

The ultra-:psyduck: part is, most of them are in loving English.

Gonna have to get me a Twin Famicom, I think.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

WickedIcon posted:

So I've been watching Chrontendo lately, and holy poo poo there were a lot of Japan-exclusive games for the Famicom. :psyduck:

The ultra-:psyduck: part is, most of them are in loving English.

Gonna have to get me a Twin Famicom, I think.

Yeah this was brought up a few times with the Nintendo VC. They refuse to release a plethora of Japanese exclusive titles that have been on the Japanese VC for ages.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Jesus, Nintendo is an awful loving company a lot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

redmercer posted:

There's a big cross-cultural thing where we all try to look more decent than we actually are, I think, but it's getting less and less like that. At least, I'm sure that's why Mortal Kombat got green blood in Japan and why Capcom censored the NA releases of Darkstalkers and Jojos.

Yeah the only reason I question Earthbound/Mother 3 is because Ness is arguably an iconic "flagship" character for Nintendo, given his appearance in Smash Bros.

They've definitely gotten more relaxed about other titles they publish. Even the Rare stuff for the N64, Banjo-Tooie had some mildly naughty bits in it, and ironically Nintendo allowed Conker's Bad Fur Day to go uncensored, while Microsoft censored the Xbox remake.

I know a lot of green blood stuff is because of Germany, I don't know if that was a factor in in MK. Mortal Kombat in general is pretty funny with all the trivial censorship stuff that went on with the various home ports. I don't think MK 1 for SNES had any blood, and the Megadrive/Genesis version you had to enter a code for it.

• Locked thread