Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

Where are you having trouble? It's not impossible at all and one of the easier RPG's on the SNES (once you're past Spikey Tiger anyway) even if you're playing on your own. Like most RPG's of the time, it expects you to be a certain level at a certain time and you won't always get there without a bit of grinding. Yup, the AI is terrible but just remember to set them to be more aggressive and that if you want them to use magic you have to tell specifically to every time (though if you talking about them constantly getting stuck on bits of the scenery, can't help you there, ugh).

I'm at spikey tiger :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

WYA posted:

I want to get into Persona 4. My friend gave me a copy along with his ps2, what should I know about this game having very little jrpg experience? I like very difficult games though, hopefully this will fulfill

Save very frequently, you will get hosed by instant kills. Buffs are actually useful in this game. Fuse basically whenever you can, just remember to register your Persona before doing so (you can bring them back for a fee.) The protagonist's growth is entirely directed around the Persona he has on-hand, and Persona EXP growth is very slow; basically just keep a Persona around if you really want one of its skills.

When it comes to social links, try to keep a Persona of the right arcana in the MC's active pool when hanging out with someone (e.g., bring Jack Frost when hanging out with Yosuke, his link will increase faster that way.) Don't try to max every link your first run, you'll need a guide or, far more likely, just fail.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

King of Solomon posted:

Save very frequently, you will get hosed by instant kills. Fuse basically whenever you can. The protagonist's growth is entirely directed around the Persona he has on-hand, and Persona EXP growth is very slow.

When it comes to social links, try to keep a Persona of the right arcana in the MC's active pool when hanging out with someone (e.g., bring Jack Frost when hanging out with Yosuke, his link will increase faster that way.) Don't try to max every link your first run, you'll need a guide or, far more likely, just fail.

I have no idea what you just said but I imagine I'll find out once I pop this sucker in. Is it true that its the best rpg of the ps2 generation?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

WYA posted:

I have no idea what you just said but I imagine I'll find out once I pop this sucker in. Is it true that its the best rpg of the ps2 generation?

Debatable. Many people will suggest that Nocturne (another game from the same developer) is better. Most of that will make more sense once you get into the first dungeon.

EDIT: Also I added a couple lines to my previous post, more useful advice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WYA posted:

I want to get into Persona 4. My friend gave me a copy along with his ps2, what should I know about this game having very little jrpg experience? I like very difficult games though, hopefully this will fulfill

Play on Easy Mode. If you have no experience with JRPG's, jumping feet-first into a Shin Megami Tensei game's higher difficulties isn't a good way to start. Easy Mode can be challenging at times, and it won't break you over its knee due to the game expecting you to know all the ins and outs of the Press-Turn system.

Your starting party can see you through to the end of the game, but don't be afraid to mix it up a little. Yosuke's worth holding onto for a very long time as he has Dekaja (it wipes enemy buffs) and Wind-element spells. Oh, and don't be afraid to try for your own debuff/stat affliction spells on bosses. Unlike a lot of other JRPG's, it's actively encouraged to try and cripple the bosses in their fights.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

WYA posted:

The first dungeon is a big roadblock, especially in the PS2 version. Expect to spend at least two trips there, escaping when you run low on SP. Something you should get in a habit of doing is checking the vending machine every day for TaP Soda, so you can stockpile as many SP healing items as possible.

After you clear that dungeon it will become much easier...in fact overall Persona 4 is not particularly difficult aside from that first dungeon. Don't worry too much about S. Links, other than a general advice of give some priority to your party members' S Links. Have fun!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

flyboi posted:

I'm at spikey tiger :(

Don't fret, we've all been here at one point or another.

Your best bet for prepping for the fight is to have several weapons leveled up so you can use charge attacks with them. Because Spikey has a couple attacks that can be used from range or cover an area, you'll want something with range like the bow, boomerang or whip. I'd go with the bow since it's the only(?) weapon that can hit the boss when he hops onto the pillars. For your allies, give them your stronger melee weapons like sword and spear. Also it's a big help if you stock up on candy/chocolates and cups of wishing from the merchant in the dungeon.

During the fight, focus on hitting him with charge attacks from afar when he's on the ground, and also make sure your allies' AI is set to aggressive. Yes, they're gonna be dumb, but if nothing else they'll act as meatshields. If he hops onto one of the side pillars, he's about to use a burn spell, but you can force him back to ground level by hitting him with the bow. If your partners get low on life, slip them some candy/chocolate immediately. Even if they're about to get hit or stuck in the middle of being attacked (like when Spikey chews on one of them), the game prioritizes healing over taking damage.

But yeah, however you look at it, the boss is a grind wall and it sucks they throw him at you early on. But trust me, press through him and the game will start to open up a lot more afterwards.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
What's a good JRPG where you really have to plan for bosses, Etrian Odyssey has a lot of that, and Persona 3 & 4 do too to a lesser extent, puzzle-y boss battles are my favorite part of jrpgs and I want more pretty badly.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So has anyone else tried the NiNoKuni demo? Looks pretty fun to me, the English VA seems kinda lackluster, but then again it has a loving overworld map. I nearly went into a nostalgia fit when I saw that.

Nihnoz posted:

What's a good JRPG where you really have to plan for bosses, Etrian Odyssey has a lot of that, and Persona 3 & 4 do too to a lesser extent, puzzle-y boss battles are my favorite part of jrpgs and I want more pretty badly.

Have you played SMT: Nocturne? Because that is the game that came to mind immediately for this.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

A Sometimes Food posted:

Have you played SMT: Nocturne? Because that is the game that came to mind immediately for this.

I haven't actually. I'll give it a look.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nihnoz posted:

I haven't actually. I'll give it a look.

Nocturne has some almost legendarily hard boss fights. And not necessarily the "spend an hour tediously wailing on the enemy" kinds like the FF bonus bosses, nor are they random chance bullshit bosses. They're just genuinely really hard fights that require a lot of strategy and planning. Nocturne is Persona 3/4 kicked up several notches.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok, I've talked about Wizardry: Tales of the Forasaken Land so many times recently I decided to start another playthrough. Problem is, I've forgotten all the mechanics of the game! When creating your character you can re-roll several times right? I seem to recall 20+ points being very good. Do the points you assign at the beginning determine your growths? Is a main thief a decent class at the beginning or should I try for something beefier?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Levantine posted:

Ok, I've talked about Wizardry: Tales of the Forasaken Land so many times recently I decided to start another playthrough. Problem is, I've forgotten all the mechanics of the game! When creating your character you can re-roll several times right? I seem to recall 20+ points being very good. Do the points you assign at the beginning determine your growths? Is a main thief a decent class at the beginning or should I try for something beefier?

You can spam rerolls all you want, but I really wouldn't put much time into it because it takes forever to get anything much over 13. Thieves are loving terrible so don't bother making one (Ninjas handle the trap and chest stuff almost as well and are far more useful in a fight). I usually make my main something meaty, simply because mages are hard to pull off early on. I think the "canonical" protagonist is a human knight, fwiw. I don't think your starting stats affect your growth other than possibly some mechanism to average it out over time. Everyone will end up with 99 in their main stats anyway.

It's pretty hard to get mages off the ground until the monster shop opens up. Spells are far more powerful maxed out than at their starting level and there's no fast way to level them (buying the materials saves some time, but you still have to make each stone one at a time).

The ideal party is some mix of knight, samurai and maybe ninja in the front, with at least one bishop in the back and at least one ninja in the group for chests and instakill bullshit. There's a very powerful AA in the endgame that requires a back row ninja but a 3 mage back line can work.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Nocturne has some almost legendarily hard boss fights. And not necessarily the "spend an hour tediously wailing on the enemy" kinds like the FF bonus bosses, nor are they random chance bullshit bosses. They're just genuinely really hard fights that require a lot of strategy and planning. Nocturne is Persona 3/4 kicked up several notches.

Nocturne rewards strategically setting up your team to handle boss skillsets. On the other hand, it punishes the poo poo out of you for not having the right team, and is very happy to one shot the main character and give you a game over.

It's a really excellent game and is probably my favorite in the SMT series. I could endlesly play with the demon fusion system, and recruiting demons side of the game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dis astranagant posted:

You can spam rerolls all you want, but I really wouldn't put much time into it because it takes forever to get anything much over 13. Thieves are loving terrible so don't bother making one (Ninjas handle the trap and chest stuff almost as well and are far more useful in a fight). I usually make my main something meaty, simply because mages are hard to pull off early on. I think the "canonical" protagonist is a human knight, fwiw. I don't think your starting stats affect your growth other than possibly some mechanism to average it out over time. Everyone will end up with 99 in their main stats anyway.

It's pretty hard to get mages off the ground until the monster shop opens up. Spells are far more powerful maxed out than at their starting level and there's no fast way to level them (buying the materials saves some time, but you still have to make each stone one at a time).

The ideal party is some mix of knight, samurai and maybe ninja in the front, with at least one bishop in the back and at least one ninja in the group for chests and instakill bullshit. There's a very powerful AA in the endgame that requires a back row ninja but a 3 mage back line can work.

Ok, that sounds familiar. I've done some reading the stat distribution is thought to influence growth but there is disagreement so I'll go with what you said.

Like most Wizardry games, it's best to level a Bishop as a sorc/priest first to get the spells right?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Levantine posted:

Ok, that sounds familiar. I've done some reading the stat distribution is thought to influence growth but there is disagreement so I'll go with what you said.

Like most Wizardry games, it's best to level a Bishop as a sorc/priest first to get the spells right?

You don't get spells by leveling now, so it really doesn't matter. Spells come from stones which come from monster parts which are mostly gated by story progress and money. You also can't easily change the class of any of the story characters, should you choose to use them.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dis astranagant posted:

You don't get spells by leveling now, so it really doesn't matter. Spells come from stones which come from monster parts which are mostly gated by story progress and money. You also can't easily change the class of any of the story characters, should you choose to use them.

Got it. I seem to recall some of the story characters are worthwhile. Kyo is awesome early on thanks to Ninja instant kill and Sara is a good healer overall. I think there is a Samurai who is worth picking up too. I usually just create whatever else, backrow of Bishop/Priest/Sorc is pretty good. I'm back into it and it's feeling more familiar again. Thanks for the advice!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PotatoManJack posted:

Nocturne rewards strategically setting up your team to handle boss skillsets. On the other hand, it punishes the poo poo out of you for not having the right team, and is very happy to one shot the main character and give you a game over.

It's a really excellent game and is probably my favorite in the SMT series. I could endlesly play with the demon fusion system, and recruiting demons side of the game.
Be careful, skills on the main character you discard to make room for a new one are not recoverable.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Levantine posted:

Got it. I seem to recall some of the story characters are worthwhile. Kyo is awesome early on thanks to Ninja instant kill and Sara is a good healer overall. I think there is a Samurai who is worth picking up too. I usually just create whatever else, backrow of Bishop/Priest/Sorc is pretty good. I'm back into it and it's feeling more familiar again. Thanks for the advice!

If nothing else you'll want to pick them all up to take their gear, which is often pretty nice (like that sam that shows up with what is likely your first magic weapon just in time for the loving graveyard level)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Levantine posted:

The three guys they hook you up with at the beginning interject story throughout the game at points as well. I have no idea if other story characters also do or not. I also don't remember how much you miss if you kick them out. Something to take into consideration anyway.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
It looks like the Earthbound/Mother series is finally returning in the form of a re-release:

http://earthboundcentral.com/2012/12/itoi-announces-mother-developments/

Probably a VC release, but if we're really lucky, it might be a complete re-make on the 3DS. :allears:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Magikoopa189 posted:

Probably a VC release, but if we're really lucky, it might be a complete re-make on the 3DS. :allears:

I'm having a hard time imagining how you'd remake Earthbound. Maybe give it a richer color palette? Polygonal Earthbound, I would actually not even buy. A straight port would be fantastic, especially if we get it in the US. Day one purchase, haha.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The three guys they hook you up with at the beginning interject story throughout the game at points as well. I have no idea if other story characters also do or not. I also don't remember how much you miss if you kick them out. Something to take into consideration anyway.

You don't miss much but the added flavor is nice. They also happen to be some of the best characters in the game so they're worth taking along in general.

As an aside, if you like this game, have an import-capable PS2 and can handle (or don't have) the language barrier, you owe it to yourself to get the prequel, Wizardry Alternative Neo Busin 0. It's a thousand times better than the first game with a bigger dungeon, more characters and classes, a hugely expanded personality/trust system and way more depth in general, and a lot of annoyances done away with as well. (for example, keeping monster parts separate from your general inventory and much less painful spell alchemy) It's a real shame it never got released outside of Japan because it's one of the best RPGs on the PS2 IMO.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

You don't miss much but the added flavor is nice. They also happen to be some of the best characters in the game so they're worth taking along in general.

As an aside, if you like this game, have an import-capable PS2 and can handle (or don't have) the language barrier, you owe it to yourself to get the prequel, Wizardry Alternative Neo Busin 0. It's a thousand times better than the first game with a bigger dungeon, more characters and classes, a hugely expanded personality/trust system and way more depth in general, and a lot of annoyances done away with as well. (for example, keeping monster parts separate from your general inventory and much less painful spell alchemy) It's a real shame it never got released outside of Japan because it's one of the best RPGs on the PS2 IMO.

I keep wanting to look it up but for the language issue and not being able to find any decent info about it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dis astranagant posted:

I keep wanting to look it up but for the language issue and not being able to find any decent info about it.

Yeah, that's the boat I'm in. Every time Tales of the Forsaken Land comes up, someone invariably brings up the much better sequel and I just get angry all over again that we couldn't get that but we did get the really half-assed PS3 Wizardry. I mean, I played it and it was fun but the comparison is seriously weak.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Okay I don't really have any idea where to post about this but since it's an RPG...

I'm trying KOTOR for the first time because of talks with a friend. It runs fine for me on my PC, except sometimes text doesn't appear on screen unless I minimize and remaximize the screen. For example, when leaving my hideout for the first time and it tells me I need to select party members, it appears my character is just stuck standing in front of the doorway until I minimize and maximize and see the text or if I just wait until the text would go away by itself naturally. What's going on here?

If there's a better place to ask about this let me know me. :sweatdrop:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

If you're playing the steam version then maybe ask in the Steam thread? If not, sorry man, I've not experienced that. EPIC game though, so persevere... :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What order should the Kingdom Hearts games be played in? Seems like half of them are either remakes of earlier games or prequels or set between the main games and don't follow any obvious naming convention.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Release date order.

But honestly it doesn't matter story-wise because the story is a clusterfuck either way.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Sakurazuka posted:

What order should the Kingdom Hearts games be played in? Seems like half of them are either remakes of earlier games or prequels or set between the main games and don't follow any obvious naming convention.

When someone tells you the story is a clusterfuck they mean it. It's insanely anime and completely nonsensical. I lost track of what was going on at the end of KHII and I read they're loving with time travel now so whatever.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I'd just play 1 & 2, maybe D3 and call it a day.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Birth By Sleep probably has some of the best gameplay, but it's THE WORST story. I cannot stress this enough.

Also, chronologically it's the first one, so if you wanna go for the plot (do not go for the plot), start there. And never play 358/2. Never. It's the least relevant game in the series and this includes remakes.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Question about Tales of the Forsaken Land: I found something called a Knight's wrist that has the description "Can change to Knight". Does this work on NPCs? How does it work exactly? It doesn't seem to have a battle usage at all; totally greyed out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I want to play some PS2 rpgs that perhaps weren't very popular, which ones are the best ones of that lot?

Bold: not popular. I'm thinking Rogue Galaxy or less.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Okage and Growlanser Generations, off the top of my head.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If I want to play some PS2 rpgs that perhaps weren't very popular, which ones are the best ones of that lot?

This is really nonspecific so please don't scream at me if this series is too popular, but Shadow Hearts 2 is off the chain.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wendell posted:

This is really nonspecific so please don't scream at me if this series is too popular, but Shadow Hearts 2 is off the chain.

Not sure why I'd scream at you, mostly I've tried the xenosagas and final fantasies and dragon quests and such, and was looking for maybe something not nearly as popular but still enjoyable. I'll give these a look.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not sure why I'd scream at you, mostly I've tried the xenosagas and final fantasies and dragon quests and such, and was looking for maybe something not nearly as popular but still enjoyable. I'll give these a look.

You probably already know this, but if you're going to try Shadow Hearts 2, do actually play Shadow Hearts first.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Does Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter count as sufficiently unpopular?

Because it's probably held up better than just about any other PS2 game and is a really innovative and daring and awesome game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you haven't played any Shin Megami Tensei games then SMT: Nocturne, the two Digital Devil Saga games and Persona 3 & 4 are all worth a look. Be warned though, they're all varying degrees of really hard.