Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedIcon posted:

All the trailers for The Last stand have pointed out in very large text that it's a new movie from Kim Jee-Woon, so I have a feeling they are. :v:

Oh cool. That's nice of them. I don't know if i'd have bothered promoting the director on a new Schwarzenegger/Knoxville action comedy.

edit: Weird. Seeing the trailer again they showed off his name, but nothing he's worked on. I don't know if that's better than the Stoker route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

GonSmithe posted:

Jesus Christ, all of these save the Room 237 ones are awful. The Hunger Games one might be one of the worst, ugliest posters I have ever seen.

Really? I thought the Dark Knight Rises one was cool, and I like the Avengers one as a picture, but as a poster it's pretty lacking.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I liked the Raid poster. But yeah, the other ones were pretty mediocre. It turns out it's hard to top Hollywood professionals.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Bram Stoker lived a dull and unexciting life. How can you not get exited that we're getting a new movie by Park Chan-wook?

In my imaginary Bram Stoker movie he has to fight a vampire Vlad the Impaler to get the inspiration for Dracula.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

In my imaginary Bram Stoker movie he has to fight a vampire Vlad the Impaler to get the inspiration for Dracula.

Yeah, but instead of that we're getting a new Park Chan-wook movie which is a thousand times better.

Zoot Suit Mahoney
Jan 20, 2010

Quit jivin' me, turkey.

beanieson posted:

This is awful. Why the tiny "the" billboard?

Hahaha, the lights in the buildings spell out "amazing" and then Spider-Man is Spider-Man!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

10 Beers posted:

Well, it's 6:45am, and I've been at work for almost 3 hours now. On the Saturday before Christmas. Needless to say, there's nothing to do, so I'm looking at the internet. Came across this and thought you guys might like them.

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/films/the-10-best-alternative-film-posters-of-2012

I particularly like the Dark Knight Rises, Avengers, and Room 237 ones.

This site is making me irrationally angry. I mean look at this.

:bravo:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Zoot Suit Mahoney posted:

Hahaha, the lights in the buildings spell out "amazing" and then Spider-Man is Spider-Man!

wow, I completely missed that. Because it's really subtle, or because it's really terrible?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

beanieson posted:

wow, I completely missed that. Because it's really subtle, or because it's really terrible?

I say both.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

10 Beers posted:

Well, it's 6:45am, and I've been at work for almost 3 hours now. On the Saturday before Christmas. Needless to say, there's nothing to do, so I'm looking at the internet. Came across this and thought you guys might like them.

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/films/the-10-best-alternative-film-posters-of-2012

I particularly like the Dark Knight Rises, Avengers, and Room 237 ones.

The Skyfall one was the only one I could look at and say 'yeah, I don't hate this one'. Even that still has problems though, it doesn't really have any cohesive ideas. It's almost the opposite of every 'alternate' movie poster being way too high concept: That barely has any concept. It looks nice, but that's about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cleretic posted:

The Skyfall one was the only one I could look at

You could have stopped right there. It takes genuine talent to make Mondo posters look good in comparison to your own, but half of those look like someone ate a box of crayons then wiped their rear end on the paper next time they took a poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Right, let's all look at this.

What angle is he standing at? And is it just me, or is The Rock's proportions just subtly off? Like, his head just looks slightly too big, but not big enough that it stands out, but also slightly big enough that it doesn't really look right.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

Zoot Suit Mahoney posted:

I figured that must have been what was going on, but I'm squinting and struggling and I just can't find any text in that mess. Are you having a laugh? :saddowns:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Snoop Radley posted:

I figured that must have been what was going on, but I'm squinting and struggling and I just can't find any text in that mess. Are you having a laugh? :saddowns:

The yellow windows spell out AMAZING

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Snoop Radley posted:

Quick and dirty:

Holden McGroin
Oct 30, 2012
Saul Bass must be rolling over in his grave. This poo poo has got to stop.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
Oh wow, I didn't even think to look at the colours of the windows. That's way too obscure.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

What angle is he standing at? And is it just me, or is The Rock's proportions just subtly off? Like, his head just looks slightly too big, but not big enough that it stands out, but also slightly big enough that it doesn't really look right.

That looks fine to me, if unimaginative. They actually used a photograph taken at a low angle to match the fact that the scene behind him is photographed from a low angle which is the #1 problem with the posters that get posted here. Seems like they got a designer who actually understands perspective.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
^^ Arms aren't big enough :colbert:

Yodzilla posted:

That is super lovely. I got a quiz app thingy the other day where you guess stuff based on icons, one of categories is movies and it made me think of this stupid trend right away.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

The reasoning for why they are cool are even worse:

Released just a year apart (in 1979 and 1980 respectively), Alien and Pac-Man are prime avatars of the sci-fi-techno-geek explosion that coalesced in the late Seventies and early Eighties. It makes perfect sense for them to come together in this eye-catching representation of the film’s core themes. Ingenious.

Even though they were released in different years, in different medium and have nothing else in common it makes perfect sense to combine them. Clearly dots it's the perfect way to capture a movie's theme:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Those two aren't the worst I've ever seen. They're not great by any stretch and I'd hate to have them on a wall, but they're not the worst.

This is probably a good time to reuse the "Minimalist Video Game Covers" photoshop thread from a few years back that GBS threw together as proof of just how "easy" it can be to make covers like that:

Others are probably on my ancient laptop hard drive but they were honestly stuff like a Sonic the Hedgehog series of covers with blue, yellow, and red circles on a green background with the iconic loop.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Those two aren't the worst I've ever seen. They're not great by any stretch and I'd hate to have them on a wall, but they're not the worst.

No, the Breakfast Club poster is the worst, because whoever made it drew his inspiration from the narration at the start of the movie then stopped watching.

tmfool
Dec 9, 2003

What the frak?

Jedit posted:

No, the Breakfast Club poster is the worst, because whoever made it drew his inspiration from the narration at the start of the movie then stopped watching.

tmfool fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 20, 2021

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

The reasoning for why they are cool are even worse:

Released just a year apart (in 1979 and 1980 respectively), Alien and Pac-Man are prime avatars of the sci-fi-techno-geek explosion that coalesced in the late Seventies and early Eighties. It makes perfect sense for them to come together in this eye-catching representation of the film’s core themes. Ingenious.

Even though they were released in different years, in different medium and have nothing else in common it makes perfect sense to combine them.

Actually...

Alien, a Pac-Man-clone licensed by 20th Century Fox.

Also, if you can't see the ventilation scene in Alien, complete with the motion tracker panel showing Dallas and the alien as blips in a maze, as anything but a precursor to Pac-Man, then I can't really help you.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Actually...

Also, if you can't see the ventilation scene in Alien, complete with the motion tracker panel showing Dallas and the alien as blips in a maze, as anything but a precursor to Pac-Man, then I can't really help you.
In any case, that poster is garbage.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Young Freud posted:

Actually...

Neat! This would be really cool to have as an arcade machine.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Young Freud posted:

My Dad was a huge Alien fan and I grew up playing his 2600...why didn't he have this??

tmfool posted:

That would be Jason Reitman's favorite minimalist movie poster bandwagoner Matt Owen.

BREA
KING
   BAD

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Android Bicyclist posted:

Dammit, it's spelled "Spider-Man!" :goonsay:

I didn't know they made a Piderman movie

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vagabundo posted:

It looks like someone tilted the entire world all of a sudden and the truck is sliding and crashing into things because of it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

tmfool posted:

That would be Jason Reitman's favorite minimalist movie poster bandwagoner Matt Owen.

Looks like somebody coasted right on through their Graphic Design major with adequate work!

Seriously gently caress this guy: http://brickhut.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/rushmore.jpg

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

gently caress this guy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Noxville posted:

gently caress this guy.

No, don't gently caress this guy. Don't ever gently caress this guy. We have to be sure he doesn't reproduce.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That poster actually infuriates me.

Content:
Everyone, attack the unseen off-screen enemy! Except the lady, she can just pose.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Content:
Everyone, attack the unseen off-screen enemy! Except the lady, she can just pose.

OK, that's out there - apart from Adam Baldwin, the principal cast were also principal cast members of Highlander: the Series.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I know its for a video game, but this owns.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/23/bioshock-infinite-reverse-art-revealed/

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

It would own more if the logo were drawn in the same style, though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The MSJ posted:

Content:

..and the guy immediately to the right of the lady, who's pointing his gun/dick in the completely wrong direction.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

And the guy with the dagger who's apparently at the beginning of a very long jump

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

What's the top right one supposed to be?

And it's been mentioned, but this is what the Alien poster is trying to go for:

It's still a terrible poster though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Davedave24 posted:

It would own more if the logo were drawn in the same style, though.

That was my first reaction as well, the logo kinda sticks out in a bad way. Other than that it's really cool.