Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Univ, any reason why you have two Wiis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

midge posted:

So, anyone STILL not got their Secret Santa gift?

Nothing yet on my end, our mail service seems to be moving a little slow.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Vrikkian posted:

Univ, any reason why you have two Wiis?

Modded and unmodded, basically.

Quidnose posted:

Holy poo poo that looks loving awesome.

Can you post pics of how old consoles look on? :retrogames:

I'm actually having a hard time getting composite and S-video playing nicely. Both my NES and SNES come out like a really old TV with the saturation set so high it distorts the picture. I'm quite sure there's a setting I have to find, but it's proving to be quite a hunt.

VV Yes, Component cable. I don't think they were the official Sony ones, but they work.

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 23, 2012

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

univbee posted:

So, rock on Canada Post, for delivering on Sunday (as an exceptional "Get all the Christmas stuff out" run), I just received my discounted XRGB3. If anyone was still hesitating, I have three words for you.

Full

Screen

PSP.

I need one of those now. That picture quality looks amazing. :stare:

You used the PSP's component cables with that, right?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That looks like a d-terminal cable (same thing). If you just want to scale psp games there are cheaper options though (how much was the discounted xrgb3). Lenkeng has two psp scalers, the lkv7000/8000

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 23, 2012

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I had no problem getting a half height card on Amazon. To be honest they are kind of a pain in the rear end because to put it into an SD card reader you need this weird snap on adapter that snaps off 90% of the time you push it in.

I've seen some that have an integrated usb, that you can cut/break off, but that's about it.

quote:

Wasn't there some weird issue with the PSP Go that the screen has some weird interlacing issues? Or were those only on the launch ones? Also, can the PSP Go run homebrew better than the PSP?

Not that I heard. The launch psp 1000 had screens with crappy refresh rate, but they fixed that in subsequent models. The PSP Go actually looked sharper all considering because it had a smaller screen.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Robolizard! posted:

That looks like a dsub cable (same thing). If you just want to scale psp games there are cheaper options though (how much was the discounted xrgb3)

It's a D-Terminal to comonent adapter, actually.

Was still $330CAD after shipping, but given the strength of the yen it wasn't too bad (the root cost of the unit was 25000 yen).

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

madpanda posted:

Just a reminder we have a steam group for chatting/gifting/sending 8-bit butt pics

Retro Goons Thread

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/retrogoons

Joined! I'm the dude with the Sheep Man avatar.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Robolizard! posted:

That looks like a d-terminal cable (same thing). If you just want to scale psp games there are cheaper options though (how much was the discounted xrgb3). Lenkeng has two psp scalers, the lkv7000/8000

So I could just get something like this or this?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
What's the cheapest method of getting a SNES to run on a VGA monitor? Is this a waste of my money/time? I have a really nice and very large Vaio Trinitron CRT from 1997 or something I'd rather use instead of getting a second TV.

http://bit.ly/Y3YM2V

(sorry for the shortened eBay link I'm on a phone)

E: I have the opportunity to get a 36" non HD Wega for free or a 14" PVM with SCART and NTSC/PAL support for $45. Hmm...

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 23, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ACID POLICE posted:

What's the cheapest method of getting a SNES to run on a VGA monitor? Is this a waste of my money/time? I have a really nice and very large Vaio Trinitron CRT from 1997 or something I'd rather use instead of getting a second TV.

http://bit.ly/Y3YM2V

(sorry for the shortened eBay link I'm on a phone)

im pretty sure thats just designed for getting a cctv on a vga monitor, I don't recommend it.

the gbs cga to vga scaler on ebay, and appropriate cabling (an rgb SCART cable for the snes, and a sync stripper of some kind) is probably the cheapest option, especially for a crt. retro_console_accessories hasn't relisted her stuff yet so I can't give you urls for some of it. arcadeforge has a sync stripper and there are other cabling stores like retrogamingcables, but thats more $$$

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 23, 2012

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Wasn't there some weird issue with the PSP Go that the screen has some weird interlacing issues? Or were those only on the launch ones? Also, can the PSP Go run homebrew better than the PSP?

That was the PSP-3000: http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/10/21/sony-psp3000-screen.html

The Go's screen is pretty good. It runs homebrew exactly the same as any other PSP (though obviously it has the extra RAM that the 2k/3k/Street have).

E: Oh yeah, I'm sure you can tell, but I joined the Steam group a while back. Name/avatar is the same as here.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 23, 2012

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
joined as Kindofblue1026.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

So, I finally lugged my freshly-bought Triniton from the car to the house, which was a true feat with my equally-scrawny accomplice. Fortunately, it seems to work in most ways I can tell. Unfortunately, I'm starting to worry about a few aspects of it.

I'm almost worried that I went too big with it, given it's a 27" that I can't move at all by myself, and also the fact that I don't have a huge amount of space, both for storage, and for being able to sit a far enough distance back from it to not have it look like a mess of huge scanlines.

Second off, I can't seem to figure out how to access any menu options from it, other than reprogramming channels which does zip since there is no broadcast and I don't have cable. So I don't know how to adjust the picture, or if I'd ever need to. It didn't come with a remote control, so I worry it may have required one to do it.

Third, the "Video" in the upper corner of the screen never disappears.

Fourth.. Well, I have to mention the picture again. Those photos don't really do the size of the scanlines justice(although I don't really know how to take a good picture of a TV anyway), they're huge, and feel so big that it just makes all my NES and Sega stuff kind of blurry and indistinct. I'm not sure if that's the intent of the "awesome retro picture" everyone was talking about or not, and I worry that maybe I just went through the cash and effort on a giant lemon.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Did a backwards-and-forwards search through the options in my XRGB3 but can't for the life of me figure out where the issue is. All I can think of is the NTSC Dot Clock but it takes bloody ages to make progress in it, I'll try that maybe tomorrow unless someone has a better suggestion.

Midnight Raider posted:

Third, the "Video" in the upper corner of the screen never disappears.

If you get your hands on a compatible remote, you can make this disappear, usually with a "display" button or some such.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
So I just ordered a PSP Go cradle and a charger, and after some hesitation the LKV7000. It says it only scales the picture up to 1440x900 which isn't that a 4:3 size? Maybe it will scale the picture up to 720p and then my TV will do the rest. I'm not actually sure what the maximum resolution over VGA is, but it should be sufficient if the Xbox 360 can do HD over VGA. Stuff should arrive late next week and I'll post some pictures and impressions.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

univbee posted:

If you get your hands on a compatible remote, you can make this disappear, usually with a "display" button or some such.

Yeah, Trinitrons came out right in the beginning of the "Can't do anything in the menu without a manufacturer's remote" craze. I know this because I worked at Best Buy then, and got an earful anytime someone lost their remotes and wanted to get a replacement, but the manufacturer charaged $100+ and the universals didn't have all the functionality.

Dark times...

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Crimson Harvest posted:

So I just ordered a PSP Go cradle and a charger, and after some hesitation the LKV7000. It says it only scales the picture up to 1440x900 which isn't that a 4:3 size? Maybe it will scale the picture up to 720p and then my TV will do the rest. I'm not actually sure what the maximum resolution over VGA is, but it should be sufficient if the Xbox 360 can do HD over VGA. Stuff should arrive late next week and I'll post some pictures and impressions.

Interested in this trip report.

Where is a good place to buy one of these in the US?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
i dont see them on ebay for some reason, but they have a link to their alibaba page on the site. the 8000 does hdmi out (720/1080p) and comes with all the cabling you need.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I bought it from here

http://www.svideo.com/lkv7000.html

For $49.

EDIT: I bought the 7000 because I have a PSP Go. The 8000 comes with a cable compatible with the 2000 and 3000's video-out port, but the Go has a different port.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

drat, all this PSP to TV talk is making me really itch for a PSP. Besides a handful of Squeenix titles and the Mega Man/X remakes, I can't think of any real reason to get one, but damned if that isn't gorgeous.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

drat, all this PSP to TV talk is making me really itch for a PSP. Besides a handful of Squeenix titles and the Mega Man/X remakes, I can't think of any real reason to get one, but damned if that isn't gorgeous.

The only reason to get a PSP beyond the TV out functionality is the fact that some games still aren't on PSN and I find that truly annoying.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

What do you mean, are the PSP titles on PSN downloadable and playable on a PS3? Cause if I can just download FFIV:CC I can skip the whole damned PSP. I have a 3DS that is essentially gathering dust just cause I have no real use for handhelds outside of the bathroom, and don't want to wander down the dark road of Sony handhelds if I can just get my FF fix on the TV.

Still pissed FFIV DS wasn't a wii or cube title.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Crimson Harvest posted:

So I just ordered a PSP Go cradle and a charger, and after some hesitation the LKV7000. It says it only scales the picture up to 1440x900 which isn't that a 4:3 size?

No, 1440x900 is 16:10. Before 1080p really "hit", most widescreen PC monitors were 16:10.

What do you mean, are the PSP titles on PSN downloadable and playable on a PS3?

Not unless it's a Mini.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So Star Trek: Starfleet Academy was certainly worth tracking down

I got the 32X version because supposedly that's the superior version for the consoles(it was also way way cheaper than the SNES version).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

What do you mean, are the PSP titles on PSN downloadable and playable on a PS3? Cause if I can just download FFIV:CC I can skip the whole damned PSP.

No, unfortuantely. There are three categories of PSP-compatible titles, each with their own matrix of what they will and won't work on:

PSP UMDs - These are the physical discs in the sort of white caddies, and require a PSP that isn't a PSP Go or PS Vita. The only English-released worthwhile game I can think of off the top of my head that isn't available as a PSN Download is Crisis Core: Final Fantasy.
PSN Mini - These are download-only games and are both very cheap (usually a few bucks on PSN, I think $10 max), and very small (they have a 100 meg game size limit). These will work on a PSP, a PS Vita, AND a PS3. There aren't any noteworthy games I'm aware of, they're common as freebies with a PlayStation Plus account.
PSN Downloadable full PSP games - These are download versions of games available on UMD. These will work on a PSP Go as well as a PS Vita (usually, there are Vita-incompatible exceptions), but will not run on a PS3, although they can be downloaded with a PS3 and transferred to a PSP from there.

Something I just realized: PSP and PS Vita are the only consoles where you can, if so desired, play through Final Fantasies 1-9 legitimately, the first six of which sporting relatively new translations. You'd need a backwards-compatible PS3 to round out the rest of them.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

univbee posted:

No, unfortuantely. There are three categories of PSP-compatible titles, each with their own matrix of what they will and won't work on:

PSP UMDs - These are the physical discs in the sort of white caddies, and require a PSP that isn't a PSP Go or PS Vita. The only English-released worthwhile game I can think of off the top of my head that isn't available as a PSN Download is Crisis Core: Final Fantasy.
PSN Mini - These are download-only games and are both very cheap (usually a few bucks on PSN, I think $10 max), and very small (they have a 100 meg game size limit). These will work on a PSP, a PS Vita, AND a PS3. There aren't any noteworthy games I'm aware of, they're common as freebies with a PlayStation Plus account.
PSN Downloadable full PSP games - These are download versions of games available on UMD. These will work on a PSP Go as well as a PS Vita (usually, there are Vita-incompatible exceptions), but will not run on a PS3, although they can be downloaded with a PS3 and transferred to a PSP from there.

Something I just realized: PSP and PS Vita are the only consoles where you can, if so desired, play through Final Fantasies 1-9 legitimately, the first six of which sporting relatively new translations. You'd need a backwards-compatible PS3 to round out the rest of them.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep was UMD only if IRRC.

Also that's kind of cool about the PSP and Final Fantasy. Of course Square would make sure of this.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

midge posted:

So, anyone STILL not got their Secret Santa gift?

I haven't received mine yet but I have the tracking number. It's shipping from Germany, so I was expecting it to take a while. Tracking hasn't updated since the 15th, but the same happened with yours. Infact by the night before you got it it STILL hadn't updated.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

univbee posted:

PSN Mini - These are download-only games and are both very cheap (usually a few bucks on PSN, I think $10 max), and very small (they have a 100 meg game size limit). These will work on a PSP, a PS Vita, AND a PS3. There aren't any noteworthy games I'm aware of, they're common as freebies with a PlayStation Plus

There are some noteworthy Minis, particularly for this thread: A smattering of older SNK games (Athena, Prehistoric Isle in 1930, some really ancient stuff, etc.) have been released as Minis. The big downside is because of this they don't have the original 2 player modes where applicable. Other notable Minis: Mighty Flip Champs DX, Canabalt, Wizorb.

quote:

I love the fact that every main Zelda game through Twilight Princess (including the Game & Watch game) and pretty much every sidescrolling Mega Man main game through the Zero series can be played on the Gamecube.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

univbee posted:

Not trying to bring up :warez: in this thread, but IF you own the actual game, you could dump it on an old PSP and then transfer it to a PSP Go. (Both will need to be hacked.)

And drat, I might have to get myself that scaler too. Goddamn you, thread! :argh:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

So Star Trek: Starfleet Academy was certainly worth tracking down

I got the 32X version because supposedly that's the superior version for the consoles(it was also way way cheaper than the SNES version).

Interesting. I'm rather fond of Star Trek games. Does this one have multiple choices in the story like the PC remake?

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

In news related to trying to figure out the ins and outs of my new Trinitron, does anyone have the code for one that would work on a universal GE remote? 4 digits? I see ones like 0414 on google searches, but they aren't accepted as valid codes by this remote, and all the Sony ones in the manual start with a 7.. None of them seem to work, at least from my first bout of fumbling through the list.

That "Video 1" in the upper corner of my screen is going to drive me batty until I can kill it.

Edit: Oh hey, I remember playing the SNES Star Trek Academy.. Firing upon a Starbase gets you kicked out pretty fast. "Number one party school in the Alpha quadrant" my rear end.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
For the dude looking for a half-height SD card:

http://www.amazon.com/Voltage-RS-MM...MC+card+-reader

I would not recommend it since with the SD2SNES and the invention of that "SNES CD" thing, there isn't going to be much room on those cards considering games can max out at 4GB now.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy
If you're looking for a half-height SD card, would something like the Nifty MiniDrive work with the SD2SNES? It's made for a MacBook, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't fit.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Is this the right thread to talk about older arcade machines or did I miss the right one?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

al-azad posted:

Interesting. I'm rather fond of Star Trek games. Does this one have multiple choices in the story like the PC remake?

Yeah they present you with Multiple choices. However I think everything is structured with only one correct answer. It's a simulation game so everything on the bridge behaves sort of like how it was on the assorted TV shows. The game is the precursor to the PC game series so it's really a very primative version of what comes later on. But I only paid a dollar for the 32X version mostly because alot of people glossed over the title and system. The SNES version runs around 5-10 dollars. Both are pretty cheap for what they are and at those prices are definetly worth getting.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 24, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ultimateforce posted:

Is this the right thread to talk about older arcade machines or did I miss the right one?

If it's old and related to video games we would like to hear about it.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I got a new job and our shop has a waiting room. The boss said I could store a few arcade machines there if I bought them. I am looking for two machines, any Initial D (twin or single) version 3 or higher, and any Dance Dance Revolution machine (Extreme preferred). I might pick up something like a Daytona USA machine because they seems to be really cheap.

Any advice on where to start looking? I actually found a decently priced Initial D on Craigslist but I doubt that's the best place to start.

Also, any advice on alternate racing games to try? Sit down of course.

Edit: I think this counts as retro!

ultimateforce fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 24, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ultimateforce posted:

I got a new job and our shop has a waiting room. The boss said I could store a few arcade machines there if I bought them. I am looking for two machines, any Initial D (twin or single) version 3 or higher, and any Dance Dance Revolution machine (Extreme preferred). I might pick up something like a Daytona USA machine because they seems to be really cheap.

Any advice on where to start looking? I actually found a decently priced Initial D on Craigslist but I doubt that's the best place to start.

Also, any advice on alternate racing games to try? Sit down of course.

Actually craigslist is the best place to start. The few companies that still deal in arcade games are in it for the business and will charge you out the rear end so the best place to find good stuff is from other people, usually fellow collectors or shops clearing inventory. You can also get good deals on eBay but if you can't pick it up you'll have to deal with the seller to set up a shipping service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bulbous nub posted:

If you're looking for a half-height SD card, would something like the Nifty MiniDrive work with the SD2SNES? It's made for a MacBook, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't fit.

That is something I was just looking for! Micro SD to half height SD adapter. Can't wait for that to come out!

• Locked thread