Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I guess the Street Fighter/Auron Simon dealie was already filled by Sabin. They should've just, as someone else said, made it a choose-your-tech dealie where it charges a hidden ATB based on his Speed. It'd at least make speeds <100 worth half a drat on Cyan.

I think there are a few things they could have done. For one Cyan has his own basically-unique weapon gimmick which you could have tied into the Sword Tech ability. Maybe have each sword have its own unique gimmick or something ala the similar techniques in FFT or whatever. Make the equipment better and give it distinct abilities and he suddenly fills a niche nobody else does really. It could be overpowered as gently caress but considering everyone in FF6 is overpowered as gently caress I can't really say Cyan would be out of place there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It's ok guys when they remake FF6 for the 3DS in 3D and we all buy the game for the 3rd time they'll fix this

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's ok guys when they remake FF6 for the 3DS in 3D and we all buy the game for the 3rd time they'll fix this

Fourth for me, drat Anthologies.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Merry Christmas all. Have a terrible present:

Gaze at the unobscured horror of the design.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Her arms can't even reach those pockets on the sides. :eng99:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Krad posted:

Her arms can't even reach those pockets on the sides. :eng99:

Well, on the one hand, that's not really that big of a deal.

On the other hand, someone forgot to tell Nomura that cargo pants traditionally have pockets up near the waist, too.

Either way, out of all the things wrong with that outfit, the pockets don't really strike me as the worst problem.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
Zeta Gundam as all hell up in this Final Fantasy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shaezerus posted:

Uh, excuse me, that is clearly Wing Gundam. Zeta's shield is reversed. :colbert:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Her chestpiece looks like an apron :cripes:
Is it even supposed to be able to bend? Or is it just one solid piece that would inhibit all movement?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Is it even supposed to be able to bend? Or is it just one solid piece that would inhibit all movement?

It's a corset. Just... inexplicably a corset that is also boobplate armor.

I mean seriously, loving look at it. They modeled the 'bare flesh' individually from the 'corset' despite *both being part of the armor.* That is so loving stupid that I can't believe that Nomura didn't break down sobbing bloody tears after designing it.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Haha there are zero items of clothes on that design. They just kept adding accessories until there were enough of them to simulate clothes.

I wanna see the sketching process for that costume actually. Did he figure out the silhouette first and then fill in the details with increasingly unlikely poo poo, or was it fetish underwear and cargo chaps and pyramid-studded dinner gloves right out the gate?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Shaezerus posted:

I think I'd be able to forgive that outfit if it meant she gets a plane Paradigm down the line.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Here's a nice, simple base rule for whether or not an outfit is unfathomably stupid: does it look like it is even possible to put on, let alone move around in? If not, go back the loving drawing board!

That might be the worst ensemble since Dirge of Cerberus.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

At the very least, I can believe that there is a >0 amount of Japanese folk who are saying the equivalent of "What the gently caress, Nomura?" in response to that thing. :unsmith:

:smith:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I think this will be the first time I don't buy a Final Fantasy solely because of a costume. That's it Nomura, I will not encourage you any longer.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Let's see:

* Leather corset
* Bikini panties
* Garter belt attached to what can best be described as cargo pants
* Arm protection that only covers one side of the arm
* That ridiculous gauntlet thing
* Lots and lots more

I have no words to describe what's wrong with this outfit. It's enough to just describe it. I can't believe someone got paid to design this and didn't loose his job afterwards.

EDIT: With most FF games I have just laughed at the silly costumes and run with it, but Lightning's outfit in FFXII-2 and now this are just too much.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 26, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cardboard Fox posted:

I think this will be the first time I don't buy a Final Fantasy solely because of a costume. That's it Nomura, I will not encourage you any longer.

Your will is no longer your own. We have all become part of the Nomura belt mass. It has ensnared us all. There is no escape :shepface:

[e]:

Nooj's one is still far worse than Lightning's. Same way of working though; add poo poo until it resembles a walking mess - say it's finished.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 26, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So does this beat out Nooj as Nomura's worst design? I'm pretty sure it does. You'd think after XIII the guy calmed down on the crazy, but then he releases something like this...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Someone showed off Lightning's design from FFXIII before, so I figured I'd show her other designs as well so you guys have something to compare this monstrosity to.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 26, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Someone showed off Lightning's design from FFXIII before, so I figured I'd show her other designs as well so you guys have something to compare this monstrosity to.

Totally hearing the "one of these things is not like the other" song right now.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Maybe Lightning's new focus is to be the worst dresser in all of videogame history Pulse. :shobon:

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]:

Nooj's one is still far worse than Lightning's. Same way of working though; add poo poo until it resembles a walking mess - say it's finished.
VVV

Admittedly, he looks way less retarded when you play the game. Probably because the camera always shows people from the chest up.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Modern JRPGs have broken me to the point that that last one looks wrong to my brain. It just doesn't parse right, it looks too plausible to worn in real life for Lightning.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Krad posted:

Admittedly, he looks way less retarded when you play the game. Probably because the camera always shows people from the chest up.

That and you don't see him a great deal I guess. But goddamn that artwork. It's just such a clusterfuck of belts, and metal and fur.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Brother Entropy posted:

Modern JRPGs have broken me to the point that that last one looks wrong to my brain. It just doesn't parse right, it looks too plausible to worn in real life for Lightning.

I'd definitely take the time to download it if S-E put it up as DLC, though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

For what little it's worth: Lightning gets different costumes and apparently you can change the colors too? She also has different weapons and shields (but these are apparently linked to her paradigms or whatever they call them here). The Famitsu article says that you can customize her appearance significantly, so it's theoretically possible that you can make her not look loving stupid as hell if you try hard enough.

I'm kind of looking forward to this game because I really dig Majora's Mask and games with schedules like that. Let's hope that Lightning begins the game stuck in Mog form.

e: VV I think you'll find that when they unveil her MEIDO costume, we'll be seeing an awful lot of that too.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 26, 2012

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TurnipFritter posted:

For what little it's worth: Lightning gets different costumes and apparently you can change the colors too? She also has different weapons and shields (but these are apparently linked to her paradigms or whatever they call them here). The Famitsu article says that you can customize her appearance significantly, so it's theoretically possible that you can make her not look loving stupid as hell if you try hard enough.

Yeah but this is what they'll be sticking on the game's cover and on every bit of marketing and promotional material.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

I tried that game with Sharla from Xenoblade. The only way to win is not to play.

(Seriously, finding Sharla some pants was a game-spanning quest that never quite reached a conclusion)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

I tried that game with Sharla from Xenoblade. The only way to win is not to play.

(Seriously, finding Sharla some pants was a game-spanning quest that never quite reached a conclusion)

I think she spent pretty much the entire game in a bikini in my game till I decided to stop caring about stats and put some pants on her.

But seriously, Lightning's outfit. Its like she stepped out of a BDSM club and decided to go adventuring without going home to change clothes.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Krad posted:

Maybe Lightning's new focus is to be the worst dresser in all of videogame history Pulse. :shobon:

No he doesn't, because of that goddamn hair. What in the hell.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I thought moving her up in the armor class to heavy would let her have more conservative clothing but it only got worse :v:.

Also I absolutely hate Lightnings new outfit. If their intent was to have some mash up of different traditional role outfits from FF and then have her switch to those in combat, then they failed horribly. The outfit makes no sense.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 26, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Calaveron posted:

Yeah but this is what they'll be sticking on the game's cover and on every bit of marketing and promotional material.

It also seems like it's going to be what she wears in cutscenes and the waiting/exploring moments. Y'know, the stuff that takes up far more time than combat. It's all well and good having less ridiculous attire for when you're fighting (and even then only sometimes), but when you're looking at the dumbest thing for 99% of the game, that 1% is hardly a defence.

Or, arguably, even worth it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

TurnipFritter posted:

I assume this just means you can find top hats and bow ties to put on her.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]:

VVV

The belts for his leg actually make sense. I mean it's a wooden leg since he lost his real one and they needed to strap it to his body. They were just really really really bad at fastening a fake leg. :colbert:

Calaveron posted:

She's supposed to go back in time to an alternate dimension where Guy Fieri has taken hold and become the One True Iron Chef. She must do battle with him in a multistaged cook-off. I mean why do you think she's equipped with a Wok and a multi-array chef's knife.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 26, 2012

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
It all starts innocently enough. Your parents die and then your sister starts wearing a cape and demanding that everyone call her Lightning. Next thing you know she is wearing strips of her old military uniform like a skirt over armored chaps, which makes sense to her because she accepted a Horse God into her soul. You let it slide because you have a side ponytail and she never mentions it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
From Famitsu on Lightning Returns:

quote:

Lightning’s new costume is designed by Tetsuya Nomura.
You’ll be able to change Lightning’s costume and costume color during the game.
Time is always flowing, except for when your menu is open on the field.
Every NPC’s whereabouts and actions will constantly change.
Certain information can only be obtained at specific times.
Lightning is the only playable character.
Lightning uses “Styles” in battle. Each Style consists of a certain weapon, shield, accessories, and abilities.
You can customize Lightning’s appearance and ability considerably.
By defeating monsters, Lightning can earn points to increase her available time, and items to strengthen her equipment.
The battle system name has not yet been determined. Right now, they’re calling it the “Amazing ATB” battle system. Rest assured, it’s tentative.
Though you’re only controlling one character, it feels as if you’re fighting with multiple, according to the mag.
Monsters appear even in the city.
Black haze will appear in specific areas at certain times. The new area will become monster territory.
Half of the game’s monsters are new.
The game’s conclusion can be experienced straight from the package. (No download content will need to be purchased, unlike Final Fantasy XIII-2.)
Kitase guarantees you’ll be satisfied by the outcome of previous games’ characters’ stories.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

quote:

Kitase guarantees you’ll be satisfied by the outcome of previous games’ characters’ stories.

If it's "Everyone died on the way to their home planet except for Sazh and Fang" then count me in.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Hope was radical in 13-2, I want to see him again; and seeing Fang without Vanille wouldn't make sense.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

From Famitsu on Lightning Returns:

"Lightning’s new costume is designed by Tetsuya Nomura."

No poo poo

That said this is starting to look a bit like Legend of Final Fantasy Majora's Mask, which I can get behind

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Is Square Enix contractually obligated to mention Nomura's name at every available opportunity? It's the only plausible explanation, since I have a hard time believing that he's an actual selling point for the series. He isn't, is he? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Hedera Helix posted:

Is Square Enix contractually obligated to mention Nomura's name at every available opportunity? It's the only plausible explanation, since I have a hard time believing that he's an actual selling point for the series. He isn't, is he? :ohdear:

He was on the title screen of Final Fantasy XIII, and all he did was design the main characters' faces.

Can you enter fights seamlessly in Lightning Returns? I mean, not like the old 'touch an enemy, get whisked off to battle arena'. More like Final Fantasy XII and Kingdom Hearts.