Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir-Elysian Sands

Saying his final goodbyes nad apologies to is neighbors as he emptied out the putrid pot, Mazir returned to his now smoke free home and began to thing.

The Cave....that might not be a bad idea...secluded, quite, already putrid, it would be sufficient, but I'll need peons to expand the tunnels and caverns to be more....acomodating to my needs. he thought as he set he cauldron down on the table.

Speaking of peons, I need to find a way to give Hatun and Zel something more than valuable baubles, money can only hold a man for so long....Hummm, I should check my scrolls.

Mazir began to sort through the dozens of dusty tomes and scrolls in his shelf, looking for something that might help.

Blood runes......Elixirs of power......Enchantments.....Something to give those two more power and abilities. Perhaps I can amplify them with spirits. Maybe I can find something before they come back with others in a bit. He thought as he spread the scrolls and began to examine them.

Mazir is looking for some kind of spell that can somehow enhance Hatun and Zel (better strength or something) to do this hes hunting through all the dusty old scrolls he has in his house.

[+4 Intellegence] He is using his intellect to find any potential spell or ritual that could help.

[+4 Magic] Using his knowledge of his own magical abilities to determine which is feasible given his current power level right now, factoring in enhancements with souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryoutarou
Nov 6, 2009
Liliana - Taeless (A cell)

Not choosing to answer the other female right away, she was instead looking around and taking in her surroundings. Her nose stung from the awful stench and the sounds of men confused her further. "Down here?..Ah, hm.. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.."

She stood up and patted herself down, making sure she still had her sword and that her clothing had remained in tact.. She didn't have any form of identification with her nor and coin to worry about. She then started to look for a way out finding that pointless she finally turned her attention to her cellmate. "So where are we? I have some vague I idea, but I wouldn't mind being proven wrong."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Vanthos

The smart thing to do is close the link, of course. The smart thing to do, maybe, is to burn his father's demonology texts and go back to selling romance novels to bored housewives. That would be the smart thing. But he can hear the promise in this voice; the seduction. He knows that this thing will be able to help him succeed and thrive. Will there be a cost? Undoubtedly. Will it be more than he gets? Probably. But still, to get anything that will help him break out of this life...this place. That has to be worth something.

"What do you want?", he asks the voice.

Talking to the voice. Finding out what the deal is.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Perestroika hasn't posted for quite some time, nor has given me a message as to his absence so I'm considering Julianus AWOL and out of the game.

Edo Waters (Eosia, Eisos)

Edo manages to become reasonably well know over the following days as a healer who does not charge the exorbitant rates of the Medicus in the city. As such this naturally makes him a friend to the poor and lower class of Eisos. He finds his time in the markets increasingly taken up with healing people until he finds he has little time of his own.

Although no-one seems to realise what he did to Taneeya's father, a few days later an official from the Imperial Academy of Eisos arrives. He informs the crowd gathered to be healed that you are not taking further customers today. "I must ask you to come with me sir, there are some people concerned about your actions. We wish to ensure that no-one without the proper skills or training is offering such important services to imperial citizens. As such by Imperial Edict you are to be taken to the Academy and tested."

Edo is not sure what to make of the official looking document that is presented. While it looks like it is not a forgery, by Imperial Edict would mean that it was on the orders of the Emperor. Why would the Emperor have an interest in him?" The crowd quickly disperses with many desperate and discontent faces and murmurs, but they seem quite cowed by the official present. In fact most of the marketplace has gone extremely quiet.

Success, although you've attracted attention to yourself as a result. The document is official, but Edo just doesn't realise that the author of it has power invested in him, and that it's not actually directly from the Emperor.

Also you can and Stavos can meet up before this occurs.

Adam and Kovar (Taeless, Sellos)

A few questions around the place confirm that Felwen has not been seen since the day of the Starfall. The supervisor for the mine mentions that he'd found a deep vein of gold that was going to make him a good bit of money and he'd been secretive and wanted to mine it all. He didn't remember Felwen coming out later that night and assumed he'd been working. The mountain also hadn't been volcanically active in living memory either, which made the recent event somewhat concerning.

If Felwen could, hypothetically, control the mountain and the ground around then Kovar reasoned he must be deep in the bowels of the earth. Lava, or magma as it was when still in the ground came deep from the heart of the world as its lifeblood. Even if Felwen had the power to survive down there, Kovar and Adam did not...well at least not Kovar. He ought to be prepared for dangers before he went down.

Auto-Success

Ilvis and Daveron (Arandia, Harvan)

The bandit complies meekly and wordlessly, but he pauses for a moment before mounting the saddle. Perhaps he had been considering whether the beast would be able to get him away, but a quick glance at Daveron's warhorse seemed to assuage that particular doubt and he made no effort to flee on the return trip.

"Ser Daveron, Ser Knight it is good to see you both again. I take it you could not find your cousin Ser Daveron?" The guards ask sympathetically as you reach the south gate. "And what is this person accompanying you? You seem to be...endowed with more than when you had left Ser Knights. Taken up bandit-slaying have you perchance?" He asked, eying the bandit up and down with an appraising gaze. Despite his career choice there was nothing explicitly marking the bandit as an outlaw. Potentially should they have any wish to, the pair could talk their way past the guards without handing him into their custody. There would be a tax on the recovered wealth however...

Andra and Civar (Arandia, woods north of Coltain)

The witch shook her head. "The other duchies would care little for the transgressions of the merchants here, but would happily have my head. But if you are sure that the Tia'Cha would welcome me then some company might be nice. I grow...lonely with only my sorrows for company." It was a grudging admission, but it seemed like you were able to talk the witch into leaving. The Tia'Cha would not look upon her crimes lightly, but the women would understand her pain and reasons and would be sure to give her a chance, if only a single one.

However Andra and Civar would have to either fake the witch's death or explain what had happened. Somehow neither could believe the merchants would take the news of her getting away well or with any ease. They had been out for blood and they would likely demand it if they thought it had not been spilled. So the pair would need to decide how to proceed. If they so wished, now would be the best time to strike the witch as her guard was down...if either had the stomach to take her when she was unprepared.

Success on both actions, but you'll need to figure out how you're proceeding now that you have options!

Octagon (Tealess, Taelos)

After a number of enquiries to different people using different 'angles' you manage to isolate one extremely rich and eccentric merchant that delights in a menagerie of exotic and dangerous pets. He has a number of other animals, not just insects in his private 'zoo', all of which seem to be very lethal but otherwise very different. The menagerie is well guarded due to it containing very dangerous creatures and for the same reasons security is also tight. Getting in will be one of your more difficult tasks. The man is however known to be ruthless and without scruples, so you may be able to acquire the spider, or at least its venom by simply purchasing it. However doing so would leave a potential trail to you...

Success.

Stavos (Eosia, Eisos)

Stavos returned to his lab and considered what he had learned. His formula and his chemicals were useless, and so he focused his will to the task. There was an existing energy in the carving as well as in the world around him. Stavos just reshaped this energy with his mind, intuitively and by instinct rather than through any particular deliberate process or method. Then when he was missing a little, Stavos just pulled some from...it was not quite inside of himself and yet it was part of himself. There was an energy within him which seemed to constantly replenish itself. It was not a bottomless reservoir, but it felt like it was impossible to drain fully.

You looked at the figurine which was now made of pure opal. It had streaks of all different colours in it and was beautiful to look at, and quite impossible. While not diamond or jade it was certainly a very valuable item.

Success

Degowin (The Frozen Wilds, outskirts of Northward)

Degowin found himself much more difficult to tire than before. Part of it was likely due to his changed body, part of it due to the fact he seemed perfectly at home with the cold now. But there was some other reason as well. None the less Degowin found that a great amount of time had passed as he come out of his semi-trance. He had chopped several trees of lumber, and the town would likely not need to chop wood for a full sevenday at least. There was only one man there, the Shaman who was watching you warily from beneath his furred hood. As you turned to him he stood and bowed politely, then spoke.

"We thank you for your service honoured spirit. May I extend the hospitality of our village and offer you food and drink?" The words were clearly practiced because they remained steady despite nervousness showing in the man's features. It was painfully obvious that he did not recognise Degowin at all now.

Success. You chop wood. Lots of it.

Mazir (Elysian Sands, Elysia)

Mazir considered a few things. He'd been changed and invigorated by consuming the souls of the people he'd taken, so likely the henchman would too. The only problem was that Mazir didn't really know if they could eat them like he could. He could probably figure out a way to attach these extra souls onto them, but who knew what the result of that would be? There'd been a physical change when he'd eaten the souls so maybe there would be one as well. The problem was that Mazir didn't really know exactly how they would react to his magic. He could probably figure out how to avoid killing them, but beyond that you'd be charting new areas of magic.

Success, but it's all new to you so while you can avoid making some horrible mistakes, you don't know how it will all turn out until you try.

Liliana (Taeless, Taelos Arena)

"Welcome to the pits lass. Fight well and you might earn enough to buy your freedom. Fight better and you'll stay down here until you die. Fight poorly and you'll die quickly." She says in a voice worn by years of overuse but still sounding full of confidence and even pride. She gave a slight snort and a mocking laugh as she looked Liliana up and down. "Might not be long for you, unless you're good with a light sword or spear. You're going to want to stay out of reach I fear."

The pits were the name for the gladiatorial arenas of Taelos. To be sent there was almost a death sentence, and many crimes were solved by either threatening to send people to the pits, having gladiators fight it out for them, or by sending both sides to the pits and declaring the victor innocent. Kidnappings were not unheard of either, but it was the devil's luck to be brought here.

Vanthos (Eosia, Eisos)

"If you want power, control, to rise above your current situation you must be prepared to sacrifice for it." You have a vision of your wife and child. It's framed in the way to make them as least attractive as possible. Your wife is a nag and constantly demanding things, restricting your freedom to do what you want and doesn't understand you at all. Your child is disobedient, annoying and a drain on your funds. "You could have these, or you could have this..." You have a vision of yourself growing a bit larger. Vanthos can feel himself filling out, his arms and legs becoming thicker and corded with powerful muscles. A pair of leathery wings sprout from your back and a tail comes from your behind. For the moment the vision lasts you feel fire and darkness flow through you, and you are rushed with the intoxicating feeling of being in control and having the strength and will to dominate those around you. But then it vanishes and you're left being your regular weak self.

"Sacrifice those closest to you and dedicate their deaths to me. Cut off you old bonds and gain new power, and control your own life."

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 24, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Andra (with Civar) (Arandia, woods north of Coltain)

".....yeah, that could work," Andra admits. It would have been a lot easier if she'd been unwilling to talk, she thinks to herself, but even she is forced to admit it's an unworthy thought, and she pushes it aside. "Tell you what. Civar, you're a traveling fellow - can you take her to the Ita'Cha? Oh, and we're going to have to burn your house down. Sorry." It's not the most sincere of apologies.

Briefly she outlines her idea - Civar spirits the witch away while Andra sets the cottage ablaze. 'The witch attacked us,' she will explain, 'and we were forced into battle with her. The uncontrolled magicks she unleashed caused her home to catch aflame, and, wounded, she fled. Civar, more versed in magick than I, took off after her, but my duty was to the people of Coltain, and so I remained here to rally the militia and lead them home.'

The merchants will be satisfied, for the witch will have been 'driven off,' and the witch will be satisfied, because she won't be dead, and everyone lives happily ever after, especially Andra, since she'll get beer money.

"Sound good?"

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo, (Eosia, Eisos)

Edo stares at the official as his customers vanish and the market empties - save for one scruffy man with some sort of opal sculpture in his hands who seems to be looking on with interest. Dismissing the onlooker from his mind, Edo sits in silence for a moment after the official finishes speaking, trying to rein in his temper. Yet again he is being foiled by pointless time-wasters. He can't help but reflect his frustation in his voice.

"If the Emperor wants me to be tested by the Academy, he can send whoever he likes here. I'm doing good work and it's all in the open. Surely this is the best place for any of this 'testing', and perhaps these Medicus can start helping ordinary people while they watch me work."

Foible: Pigheaded. I'm assuming triggering a foible means no viable action for the round, or at least not much chance of this going well. If not, mortal Charming +2 might apply if only because he looks likeable.

Volmarias - feel free to butt in to the argument!

Cacto fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 24, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Stavos, Laboratory (Eosia, Eisos)

Success! The wooden carving was now a hauntingly beautiful opal idol. The veins of the wood were transformed into other but no less precious materials, and the features were only enhanced for it. Surely this would get anyone's attention, no matter how hardened to the world, and it would most definitely provoke this Edo fellow into at least talking to him. Carefully securing the idol within a hidden pocket of his cloak, Stavos took a small pouch of coins from a safe to replenish his pocket funds, and spent several minutes topping up his reserve of cilantro and other sundry seasonings and reagents. No sense being unprepared. Stavos stepped out, and headed to the marketplace.

Marketplace

Ah, there he was, the man he wa-

"I must ask you to come with me sir, there are some people concerned about your actions-"

Oh no. No no no. He was mere moments too late! Stavos thought quickly.

"-As such by Imperial Edict you are to be taken to the Academy and tested-"

OK, this was relatively good. There was a small chance that he wouldn’t be ki-

"If the Emperor wants me to be tested by the Academy, he can send whoever he likes here. I'm doing good work and it's-"

Stavos choked on his own spittle in surprise, taking a couple of quick coughs and gasps and clearing his throat. It was clear that this man was either too foolish, naive, or proud to understand the situation. Possibly a combination of some or all of the above. It seems that like it or not, he would have to jump in.

“Edo!” Stavos shouted, running to the fray. “Edo you have no idea how glad I am to have found you! I was so afraid that you would get hurt, or worse!” Stavos halted between the official and a somewhat surprised Edo. He turned around, and looked at the official. “Oh no, I’m so sorry! I’m so, so sorry! This is all my fault! Edo escaped his wardens and ran off, and I only just received word of it. Oh dear, oh my, he’s in trouble again isn’t he? What has he done this time?” Stavos glances back at Edo, giving a glance, then back to the official, cutting off any response the man would try to give. “Has he tried to start his own religion? Has he claimed that he can heal the sick? Speak to the dead? Bless the living? Conquer the world? Oh dear oh dear!”

“You see, poor Edo here has a disease of sorts, a disease of the mind that is especially resistant to the curative powers of all we’ve seen about it. Edo here has what is called a ‘Narcissistic complex,’ although a more common term might be ‘delusions of grandeur.’ Were that all, things would not be so bad, but he’s- No, young man, please! Please, be quiet just this once, and let me try to save you from a terrible fate! Whether or not you truly understand what I am doing, I cannot help but do what I can!” Stavos interrupts the protestations brewing from Edo, before they can truly begin, and withdraws the idol from his coat.

“As I was saying, this is bad enough, but it is compounded thrice; he has a measure of natural magic, nothing worth noting but enough to give a tingle upon his touch. He has a goodly charisma, as I’m sure you’ve heard already, and he’s liable to take the valuables of his family when he escapes. Look,” Stavos holds the idol before Edo so that he can recognize it as his own handiwork, “I found this laying in a gutter not far from here. I cannot even fathom how it was not found yet, but it is one of the prized possessions of his father, a friend of mine. Would you consider a man to be sound of mind to have discarded such a thing? He likely considered it as valuable as a bone, or a piece of driftwood.” Stavos emphasized the word “driftwood” while glancing at Edo, and presents it before the official for examination.

“Sir, I don’t know what this man has done to the people here, and I am truly sorry for whatever it is. Would you be so kind as to release him into my care? I can promise to take care of him on the journey back to his father’s estate, and you won’t see him cause any more trouble here. I’m sure that he’s caused some sort of damage already, and while I can surely not pay for any emotional wounds he may have caused with his exaggerations, I can at least help pay for the monetary ones.” Stavos pauses for a moment, gains a crestfallen expression on his face, and continues. “This... this idol. Aroc will be devastated to lose it, but I think that the lost of his only son would be the death of him. Would you accept this token as a measure of recompense? Is there anything I can do to make up for Edo’s behavior?”

Aw hell, Edo went and got himself in trouble before I could talk to him. I'm going to have to try to bail him out. Trying to convince the official that Edo is the "eccentric" son of a wealthy family, and that he didn't know what he was doing. No harm, no foul. Paying restitution to bribing the official with the idol, or any other financial means if that's not appropriate, if it will help.

+2 Man of Means Stavos is no stranger to the way of the world. Money talks, bullshit walks. If the idol isn't sufficient, Stavos can probably pay a tiny fortune.
+2 Natural Philosophy The afflictions of the mind are things at least cataloged, even if not truly understood. While he's not a healer, he can at least pick out a convincing disorder to fool someone at first glance.

OOC: Assuming that this works, I want to have a convo with Cacto. I SHOULD be able to do it after 7PM EST today, tomorrow, thursday.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Sellos

quote:

Kovar: As the tree of possibilities unfolded before the general a single path was infinitely clearer than the rest. The man, if he was still a man, likely had some control over the earth or the mountain. He was likely with the gold mine he had found, too deep to reach safely. Kovar shared his conclusions and reasoning with his dwarfish companion.

Kovar: "It seems a direct confrontation is impossible for the moment."

Adam: "Easy for you to say..." Adam replied, his face red. Felwen's message had gotten him riled up, the idea of someone else he knew being changed as well seemingly too good to be true. "You don't have to work the mine daily. He's a good lad, one of the boys, and by darn it I am going down there to see him if I have to dig through all the ore this side of Taeless!"

***Kovar sounds concerned, apparently the dwarf was not as retiring as he first assumed, "And do what when you get there? You don't know the first thing about fighting or negotiation. And I doubt even your supernatural constitution could withstand the lava-flows that are in the area now."

Adam: "Lava flow... What the heck is lava flow? I just want to go save my mate" As he speaks, his voice takes a subtle northern tone, and his eyebrows furrow stubbornly.

Kovar: "I made my name fighting around a volcanic mountain, and those cracks and the gaseous emissions are all too familiar to me. Whatever he is, he is clearly either reviving this mountain or transforming it. Where he is there will likely be flows of molten rock that would burn you to cinders in an instant."

Adam: "Oh... Oh.. But... But doesn't that mean everyone in town could be in danger?"

Kovar: "Not just this town, but all the towns around the mountain, which is exactly why I'm so worried about this."

Adam: "Well... You're the thinking man.. Any ideas? If you can just get me to talk to him, I'm sure we can sort this mess out."

Kovar: "Well we know with some certainty that he can hear sounds of a sufficient noise within the town square. Otherwise he wouldn't have responded to my pitch. Where else he can hear and how loud one has to be to be overheard outside of those two factors are unknown as of yet. It seems like calling him out to parley in a location safely away from the town is our best option for the moment."

Adam: "So... What, we just yell at the ground until he pops out to play?"

Kovar: "Well it's certainly our first and best option. One way or another we need to meet him face to face."

Adam: "Uh... " he looks about, suddenly self conscious. "Are ya sure? We'd look a right pair'a loons if ya wrong..."

Kovar: "I really think that with all that's been going on here of late people will barely notice. After-all, what's yelling next your change and a talking mountain."

Adam: "Aye... Good point. Well if ya so confident, take the first shot". He steps aside, gesturing to the ground.

Kovar: "All in due time. First, I think we'd be better off if you knew how to handle yourself if it comes to blows."

Adam: He cocks his head "uh.... Excuse me... Don't we have more pressing concerns?"

Kovar: "Yes, but I think the odds of your friend being in his right mind are not as great as you seem to hope, and if it comes to a fight I'd rather have you fighting at my side than getting yourself hurt."

Adam: Squints, giving Kovar another stubborn look. "I'm sure I can handle myself just fine if I wanted to, thank you very much. Can we deal with Fel, as soon as... Say... Now?

***Kovar is tempted to show Adam how unprepared he really is, but thinks better of it. "If you say so, but don't blame me if you get hurt."

Adam: "Good!" He exclaimed, crossing his hands and feeling incredibly pleased with himself. He stands like this for a good five seconds, before quietly muttering. "Um.... Seriously is Lava that bad?"

Kovar: "You're done some smithing right? Ever seen molten metal?"

Adam: "Ah..." Okay it be best to go with your idea after all"

***Kovar nods approvingly.

Kovar: "Well, might as well do a bit of both. I mean who knows how long it will take him to respond anyhow. Plus, a little bit of training might to wonders for your confidence."

Adam: "Alright... Lead the way. I am warning you now though, I am not leaving Feel down there to rot."

Kovar: "Leaving him there to turn the mountain into a volcano is certainly not on the table."

Adam: "Well... Good... And.. Uh.. Kovar?"

Kovar: "Yes."

Adam: "Thank you... You know... For helping..."

***Kovar gives a nod. "We who have the power, also have the responsibility to aid in the ways we can."

Adam: "Aye... I hear that"

“Now, while we’re on our way to a safe spot to try and parley, I’ll give you your first lesson, the first step in a long road. The most basic thing you must re-learn is how to see the world. I don’t mean that is a philosophical sense, at least not yet. Rather, you must widen your gaze and be ever aware of your surroundings. He, watch me for a minute.” Kovar quickly demonstrated the concept in action, showing how he quickly gained a working knowledge of the space around himself, and how through subtle movements of his eyes and head he kept an active idea of where everyone in his area was.

“Now, you try.” Adam’s first attempt was awkward and far too obvious, but it was a good start. As they walked to the place most likely for a safe parley, Kovar corrected Adam and walked him through the means to achieve their end step by step several times. He also provided him with exercises to hone this skill and tested him. He hoped that, by the time they arrived Adam would have this first brick of his foundation as a soldier down pat.

Beginning Adam’s(as well as Jusep and Algard’s if they’re here) training in the art of soldiering while they walk to a place to Parley with the mountain-creature. First he’s learning how to see like a soldier and maintain spatial awareness.

Experienced General[+4] - Kovar has trained more troops than he can count, and he has the method down to science.

Powerful Charisma[+4] - It takes persuading to get people to convince people such basic changes are necessary to the art of soldiering, and an engrossing teacher is a teacher more able to bring about change in their student’s behaviors.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir- Elysian Sands

After several hours of pouring over hims tomes and thinking about how to enhance his henchmen, Mazir wearily set aside his papers and looked outside. The sun was fading and soon Hatun and Zel would be coming by, hopefully with more help. Mazir had decided that the cave move was logical and would serve him well, but to build up a base on the caverns' he'd need loyal manpower. Mazir hoped the two would find others.

Stepping back into his room, Mazir, removed his plain robe, and selected his jet black one, in addition to his blood red amulet. He hoped that in conjunction with his paling skin and glowing green eyes, he'd look far more imposing and impressive to whomever came.

Satisfied, he wait for his mens return.

I'm just waiting for Mazir and Hatun to come back now, hopefully they'll have recruits with them.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - His Secret Lair, Taelos

After equipping himself with the necessary tools, Octagon crept out into the night. Simply purchasing the spider would be far too conspicuous when a man would die days later of spiderbite. Someone would know. Someone always knows. Instead, he opts to break into the eccentric merchant's deadly menagerie, and perform a little jailbreak. Heh. "Little" jailbreak.

Sneaking into the Deadliest Zoo so I can get the Spider Nobility! Espionage +4 (for breaking in) and Discrete +4 (for doing it without getting caught!). I swear to god if I fail this roll, so help me... I won't be held responsible for what I do! :argh:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Civar with Andra, (Arandia, woods north of Coltain)

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Andra (with Civar) (Arandia, woods north of Coltain)

".....yeah, that could work," Andra admits. It would have been a lot easier if she'd been unwilling to talk, she thinks to herself, but even she is forced to admit it's an unworthy thought, and she pushes it aside. "Tell you what. Civar, you're a traveling fellow - can you take her to the Ita'Cha? Oh, and we're going to have to burn your house down. Sorry." It's not the most sincere of apologies.

Briefly she outlines her idea - Civar spirits the witch away while Andra sets the cottage ablaze. 'The witch attacked us,' she will explain, 'and we were forced into battle with her. The uncontrolled magicks she unleashed caused her home to catch aflame, and, wounded, she fled. Civar, more versed in magick than I, took off after her, but my duty was to the people of Coltain, and so I remained here to rally the militia and lead them home.'

The merchants will be satisfied, for the witch will have been 'driven off,' and the witch will be satisfied, because she won't be dead, and everyone lives happily ever after, especially Andra, since she'll get beer money.

"Sound good?"

"Sounds like an excellent plan. First, lets help the good lady pack her things." Civar turns to the witch. "Miss... I'm sorry, I don't think I learned your name. I'm Civar and this is Andra, what would you like to be called?" (I think Aideen Dothansdotter has a nice ring to it.) "You should pick out a few things that you'd like to bring with you. There's not much room to spare on my cart, but I'd be happy to help you carry whatever will fit. You'll definitely want a bedroll and I suggest you bring whatever herbs and fetishes you've prepared. Then, maybe a cooking pot and a few days food..."

Packing the witch up and heading for Harvan +10 (although this probably doesn't need a roll, I want to list how awesome Civar is anways :colbert:)
Tinker +4 - an experienced traveler he knows how to pack quickly and what to bring
Alchemist +4 - to recognize which witchy things are important and which can be easily replaced on the road
Stage Magician +2 - make sure not to take anything that someone investigating the fire would expect to find

[/i]

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Koth - Forest, Frozen Wilds

Aww...

Koth had hoped the song would be magic enough that the wolves would become magical themselves, but it looks like it wasn't.

Flopping down among his friends, he indulges in a playful scuffle, sad that they couldn't be magic like him...

Or could they?

If Koth suddenly turned magic, and the spirits suddenly started showing themselves, there's probably more stuff like that happening elsewhere!

Grinning like a lunatic, Koth makes sure his pack is cared for, before settling in for the night.

--

The next day, they head further south.
Koth knows a guy in a town closer to the border, he's always got his ear to the ground. This would be great, he just knew it.

Moving south to look for rumors of odd happenings.
The Big Bad Wolf[+4] and Phase shifting[+2] to start getting the wolves used to it, but taking it slow.
Childish[-2] to waste time I guess.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself

Degowin chuckled deeply. "You have food to spare, then? Summer was short, hardly any crop could be harvested. The wolves are taking most the game, your own hunters have wandered farther South than ever before." He motioned to what remained of the Great Antlered One. "They took another hunter's honest and rightful kill. They took his weapons, his tools, and his furs. They left him for dead as his wife and child starved!" His voice began growing louder, booming-but not quite supernatural. "And now for the spirits you have food to spare. HA!" Degowin fell backwards in the snow, laughing to himself.

"I found the Great Horned One with a Giant. I would like your hunters to tell me how that came to be."

Master Hunter[+4] To use my knowledge of hunting and the conditions in the woods to grill the Shaman on their food supply. Neither confirming nor denying my spirit status.

Ryoutarou
Nov 6, 2009
Liliana - Taeless (Taelos Arena)

"I was afraid of that." she didn't sound to afraid however. She looked for a place to sit real quick and then clapped her hands together and rested them in her lap. "I may not look it but I am trained in the art of the sword and I dare say no brutish man will be able lay a finger on me." she said as confidently as she could.

Right now she had to conserve her strength and stamina and to hope she would not be forced to fight consecutive fights. "Though I suppose I shall have to limit myself due to your earlier warning, I shouldn't enjoy living the rest of my life here." she let out a sigh and stood up as she heard the cheers subsiding, meaning her turn was coming soon.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Adam and Kovar - quiet clearing in Sellos

To sat that Adam felt a little silly would probably be a grave understatement - he honestly had no idea what the strange man was talking about. His impatience for helping Fel did nothing to aid his clear frustration, but he tried his best, and struggled not to complain too much.

All the same, he still felt like a right tit.

No action, waiting to see the roll from kovar

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Wilhelm - Minburg

The old man had discovered something new! He had to inform the masses to get it into their stupid heads, as this would be the thing that would take the city into the next golden era. With a buzz of his mind and a clickety clack of his old joints he was once again covered in his ant and bee colonies, and he moves for Minburg once again.

The market's initial reaction is shock, as the rumors passed around were written off as a joke from the old man, who probably slathered his head with honey to attract the insects. "People of Minburg! I have made an important- Don't you look at me like that- Discovery!" Wilhelm smiles widely as he is about to disperse his slew of knowledge, "I don't know how it works, but the bees and ants now talk with me!" He shuffles his old bones as he snags more and more attention with dark mutterings about his bee cap and ant-covered boots.

His audience was looking at him funny. The bunch of louts didn't believe him! His proof would be through actions, because they thought he was crazy just like he thought he was crazy. Wilhelm shuffles closer to the granary, before requesting that his companions begin pulling any vermin from the market's grain storage.

"Don't fail me now, my friends!" Wilhelm shouts as he tosses his ant-covered boots into the grain.

Using my Hivemind Usurper +2 and Etymologist +2, with Crotchety -2, to try to extract vermin from the grain with his ants and bees.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Andra and Civar (Arandia, woods north of Coltain)

The witch apparently had little attachment to her home and needed few possessions. "I suppose if I am to start again I'll need a new name. Wicked Witch of the North is a bit presumptuous." She says with a scowl as she collects a few odds and ends, mostly clothing save for one notable child's toy. "Aideen will do as much as any other name." She adds and looks at Andra. "If you're going to burn down the place you might as well start in the fireplace." She turns to Civar then. "Alright, tell me more about the people you are going to introduce me to please, it'd be good to know what I'm expecting so I can be prepared."

The hut itself does not burn well, being made of stone walls with a thatched roof. The flame does however gut the building and it as just as well that it did not burn well, the trio had to put out a few embers that almost began fires around them.

Success, Andra needs to find the merchants and mercenaries, while Civar needs to lead the witch off.

Edo and Stavos (Eosia, Eisos Markets)6

"No, it is not the 'best place' for testing and that attitude is exactly why we need to test you." The man says with a grim expression on his face, thinking for a moment. It was at this point that Stavos ran in and tried to convince him not to take him away. But all through Stavos' argument the bureaucrat's expression never once changed. Once he was finished listening he spoke again, in that same level and gravely tone. There was a sense of finality and inexorable advance to it, the man was clearly aware of the bureaucratic weight behind his words.

"If you care so strongly for him then you are now his guardian. As such I require you to accompany us and act as a reassuring presence. The more co-operation is given the faster the process will go." Then he reaches into his robes and brings out a gold medallion with a pair of jewels on it. Although Edo would not know, Stavos would recognise the medallion as marking him as a wizard employed by the Court. He would likely have the power to force Edo to obey if the stories you have heard are true by any measure...

Failure, you're roped into looking after Edo because of your story. The bribe is completely ignored however, still leaving you with the opal carving.

Adam and Kovar (Taeless, Sellos)

Jusep and Algard seem to take something from the lesson, yet as they travel to the mine Kovar found that Adam pointed out things to him that he'd missed. Rocks, mining equipment and carts he'd somehow missed which but were almost like a sixth sense to Adam. While Adam seemed to understand the theoretical concept of what Kovar wanted to teach him, it seemed in practice he wasn't sure what Kovar meant as he kept missing things. Maybe Kovar was seeing something else that Adam couldn't? Something to do with his power perhaps.

Kovar realised Adam was guiding him to the mine. It seemed to make the most sense to him, if Fel was inside the mountain then they should go there. So the group of four found themselves standing in the entrance to the mine, unsure what to do next. Adam for his part could feel the disturbance within the earth. It wasn't an actual sense, so much as that he had a feeling in his gut that something was different...wrong.

Failure for Adam, but success for the Lieutenants

Mazir (Elsyian Sands, Elysia)

Mazir waited through the night and in the early hours of the morning there was a light tapping on the door. Zel and Hatun looked at you with eyes slightly dead with fear as they brought in three others. A woman with a body just on the dying edges of rampantly sexual and two men. One a large man with a slack face that held eyes that moved quickly, belying a quicker mind than frame and features suggested. The other was a thin man that looked at you with appraising eyes. He wore a single onyx pendant, the sign of a fellow wizard and he was known to you. Berel his name was, although you had not known until this time he was a wizard, or at least thought himself to be.

It was Hatun who stepped forward. When he spoke his voice was a little more...well it was almost less in real some fashion. "Salima, a dancer who hears the secrets of men. Kelet, a seemingly simple man desiring more and Berel, a fellow wizard. He says he wishes to see your power and will kill you if you are lying or disappoint him."

Octagon (Taeless, Taelos)

Octagon 'drops' into the menagerie during a change in guard shifts early in the morning, or late at night depending on your point of view. The emergency exit for the guards made for a nice emergency entrance, although getting to it had presented some interesting challenges. But Octagon dropped into the zoo silently and suddenly the noise of several animals that had been awake went silent. The air was filled with a tension that was almost palpable. Then out of the darkness came a voice, that was kind of muffled.

"Hmm a new guest? And one uninvited as well. I do hope it tries to entertain the cats, the reactions of the last guest to do so were most entertaining." If there truly was such a thing as Spider Nobility this voice certainly had the voice down at least.

Success, you don't die yet!

Koth (Frozen Wilds)

Koth tries to train the wolves to become used to phase shifting as he travels south with mixed success. He finds that the wolves become a little more used to it, although still tense up and tend to tumble through things slightly more often than not; but are able to do so while he is riding and guiding them. If he is not on their backs and forcibly directing them then they instead go around the tree, leaving his hand holding onto their fur as he himself passes through the tree.

Eventually after a couple of days he finds himself near the outskirts of a town to the south. The wolves are slightly less comfortable where it is warmer and you will need to part company soon if you wish to avoid stirring up trouble by bringing wolves close to the animals and people of the town.

Success, the wolves are slightly more used to phasing through things. It's still unnatural and difficult for them however so you still need to guide them through it (although you have still been attempting it while having physical contact)

Degowin (Frozen Wilds, Northward)

"We always have food for the Spirits. We must, lest we offend them and bring more misfortune on ourselves. I myself will not eat for several days to ensure your offering. But I know of no giant...is his another of your kin Spirit?" The Shaman asks with some caution, after responding to part of your questions. Presumably he simply wasn't answering for the hunters yet, although it was possible that he was avoiding something. If he had to starve himself to feed another then probably the village did not have food to spare, or at least enough to feed your now increased size and frame.

Success, the Shaman answers your questions as best as he can for now. You learn that the village does not have a lot of food and apparently does not know about the creature you encountered.

Liliana (Taeless, Taelos Pits)

It was a few more matches before Liliana was called, and only after someone had come in and checked her in the manner of a farmer checking a horse he was considering buying. But Liliana found herself being marched into a room with several weapons and being told to "Pick one and wait". They had ensured she was unarmed when she had been kidnapped, so her only options were a number of swords (designed for thrusting), a spear and a fork, several clubs, a net and a heavy looking double headed axe.

Wilhelm (Arandia, Minburg)

The ants tried valiantly but they found themselves overwhelmed by rats that would simply get annoyed and eat them. Sensing your frustration and dismay a great number of the bees that made your cap made a noble sacrifice and ensured the rats were stung to death. At the end you found that many of your insectoid friends had been lost and any victory earned was a pyrrhic one indeed.

Your audience is quite amazed by the whole affair, but not for the reasons that you had wished.

Failure, although you 'won' you lost many brave and valiant insect souls this day.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Andra (Arandia, woods north of Coltain)

Andra bids Civar and Aideen farewell in front of the gutted wreck that was the witch's home; their paths must diverge here for a bit, and she leaves them to it. Maybe she'll meet Aideen again sometime. Stranger things've happened. She smudges a bit of ash on her cheeks and her armor, to give herself that whole 'been in a fight with a witch' look.

At any rate, though, she's got militia to round up, and so she starts stalking the woods, looking for tracks (panicking warriors tend to leave obvious ones) and calling out names. She does her utmost to carry herself with a confident and noble bearing the whole while; soldiers, she knows full well, respond to that sort of thing.

Using Charming as Hell [+4] and Naval Experience [+2] to gather up the troops (the latter comes into play by way of 'an officer's bearing' and the like) and start getting them back to Coltain. Give them the story agreed upon in the last post and we'll call it good. Let's all go drink away our reward money, boys!

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself

Degowin grinned at the Shaman, his teeth long and sharp. “More misfortune, you say?” He sniffed at the air. “The wood is a gift. Take also the Great Antlered One.” He pulled off a leg. “Make me a proper headdress of the skull and antlers as payment. I can fend for myself.” Degowin ate as he ran back toward his old shack.

The Giant’s footprints were still about. He had followed them to the cursed cave, but the abominable song had made him lose his wits! He began to follow the prints again, this time not to the cave, but backtracking along the Giant’s path.

Going to use Master Hunter[+4] to track the Giant’s Footprints in the opposite direction as before. Asking the Shaman to get all mystical and make a headdress of the skull and antlers worthy of the Spirits.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"Yes, bandit hunting. It's a dreadful shame that he couldn't find his cousin isn't it? As for this fellow here..."

Speaking loudly and pointedly I pull up the arms of the surviving bandit, showing the guard that his hands are securely bound.

"Bandit. The only one of them to surrender peaceably, and for that I've promised to see that he gets some measure of mercy compared to what the others got. See for yourself what happened to the rest of the band."

Suppressing a shudder I nod towards Daveron's grisly trophies and nudge my horse forward.

"Ser Daveron clearly needs to go and see about claiming his bounty. You'll be happy to help him with that won't you?"

+4 Champion to wow the locals, feudal justice being of a pretty rough sort and all maybe we can get the guy off with just a dunking or good public flogging because someone important is asking nicely for it?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar + Witch Aideen (Arandia, woods north of Coltain)

I turned away from watching the flames consume the witch's hut as soon as I could. Watching homes burn always reminded me of how my family died. Maybe that's why I put off answering Aideen's perfectly reasonable question.
"I'll be happy to tell you all about them as we travel, Aideen. It will help pass the time. In exchange, maybe you can tell me what you know about the herbs and flowers we pass. For now, we need to hurry away. If any of the militia spot you, Andra's story will fall apart."

I was pleased to see that my cart mule hadn't wandered too far off. Despite all the noise and confusion, she was still happily nibbling the grass about where I'd left her. That's what I liked about mules, they might be ornery as hell, but at least they weren't as excitable as a war horse. The only thing worse than shoeing a war horse was shoeing a bull some poor farmer was forced to use to pull a plow with.

Still moving to Harvan.

I'll throw up some details about the gypsy people when I get a chance, but I'm going to be out of the country for most of the week and wanted to post something before I left

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo (Eosia, Eisos Markets)

Edo is extremely unimpressed when the stranger with the opal version of his mermaid statue walks up and starts calling him mad. "Are you calling me crazy? What the hell is wrong with you?" Edo glares daggers at Stavos while slowly counting to 10 in his head, the bureaucrat momentarily forgotten in the face of this latest insult. Then when the official seemed to take the newcomer seriously, Edo only gets more annoyed. But, he reflects, there's not much he can do about it, and maybe now isn't a time where he can fight two enemies at once. Maybe the weird-looking stranger will keep the official busy long enough for Edo to escape.

"Fine. I'll pass your tests. Let's go." Edo jumps to his feet and gestures to the others to hurry up. "Come on, I don't want to spend any more on this than I have to." After they've walked for a short while and Edo's had some time to fume, he looks at the others more carefully, letting his new gift influence his perceptions. And then he starts with the questions. "So who am I talking to anyway? You both know I'm Edo Waters, but I haven't got a clue who you are." Not as smooth as he is normally, maybe, but it's been a rough day.

I've assumed that Edo's foible, pigheaded, isn't actually in play as you didn't mention it in your post and it doesn't seem to have had any mechanical effect anyway, so in the interests of moving the story along let's just say Edo caves easy rather than that he starts a fistfight against a wizard/tries to cure him of his evil magicks (as fun as that would be).

Action: Using Divine Healing +2 to see if the bureaucrat or Stavos are in good health and whether they have any qualities that can be picked up by Edo's lifeforce-shaping healing power, or even just general observation

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Aldrain (Eosia, Great Library of Eisos)

Aldrain concentrates, trying to reach out to the deeper presence, trying to reach out with the part of his mind that was being touched by the.. force that he was feeling. Trying to ignore the strangely whispering books, he thinks 'Hello?'

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Sellos' mine

Adam was missing the forest for the trees, "It's natural you'd have a better knowledge of this place than I would. Keep in mind this is my first time walking this path, however what you need to see is that you won't always have the crutch of past knowledge. I'm trying to teach you to quickly pick up the important details even in a place you'd never been to before. Anyhow, we're here."

Kovar looked around for a moment, "I guess we should test if my theory is correct." He cups his hand's together and yells into the mouth of the cave, "Fel, we know you can hear us. We just want to talk."

Testing to see if Fel can hear us. Not sure if there's a DC involved here or not, but Powerful Charisma[+4] should apply if only because it's always on.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir- Elysian Sands

Mazir looked to Berel, he haden't thought that he was a magic user, but to be fair, Mazir hadn't paid the most attention to the happenings in the village.

Please sit Mazir said, gesturing to the table. If you three are interested in working together, then I'll need a sacrifice to fulfill the requirements of my power. Hartun. Zel. I know you've been up all night, but I need you two to bring me another source of power. I'll try and give you a bit of revitalization to wake you up and make you aware.

Mazir made his hands glow lightly as he touched the two men's heads. They're eyes opened slightly as he finished. Before sending them out to bring another person, he gave one last word. People will be going to market, if you wrap someone in a rug, then you should beable to pass most unmolested.

Having Hartun and Zel bring another sacrifice to allow me to demonstrate my powers.

[+4 Magic] I'm giving the two a little magical pick me up to make them awake so they can remain alert during their kidnapping.

[+4 Intelligence] Gave the two a piece of advice that should help them with their kidnapping.

[+2 Charisma] Trying to be as charming as possible to have Berel have patience
while the two go about their task.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - The Deadliest Zoo, Taelos

Spider Queen posted:

Octagon: Octagon crouches in the darkness. This was going to be cutting it close. "I can hear you, spider. You are the one I came here for, but I need to be sure you are the one I seek. Identify yourself."

Spider Queen: "Well isn't this fascinating. I am She who waits deadly in the Shadows with a bite that will fell a Steed, Venom Mistress of the glass zoo of the human that dwells in these lands, The..." The list goes on and on. You were warned that royalty had many names and it seems that she has chosen to use them all in response to your question. It is possibly a way of getting back at you for being rude.

Octagon: Octagon is, at least, relieved to know that he wasn't being taken for a fool when told about Spider Nobility. Yikes. "Venom Mistress, then, for brevity's sake. I'm here to grant you freedom. There may be some jostling. In exchange I'll require a small task from you."

Spider Queen: "Freedom? What a novelty. Most spiders spend their lives in a single place, transient human notions such as freedom really have little meaning to us. Perhaps you could offer something else?"

Octagon: Octagon makes an annoyed face. "I'd prefer not to threaten you, but I require your services. If there is something you want, speak now. I'll be happy to negotiate terms, but not here."

Spider Queen: "Now you threaten me, truly humans are a barbaric species." The spider says with a chuckle and pauses for a moment. "I tell you what, let's play a game and I'll consider your request."

Octagon: "Go on."

Spider Queen: "I will live with you for the next few days. You are not to remove me from your body, save for this one request, if you displease me I will kiss you."

Octagon: Octagon opens his mouth. And then closes it again. Spiders are weird. "Acceptable." With only minor trepidation, Octagon moves to the jar where the Venom Mistress is kept. Carefully he unscrews the lid. "Your chariot awaits, Madam."

Spider Queen: There is a tickling on your hand as the creature walks up onto your hand. "The guards will be here shortly, I do suggest you leave quickly if you wish to avoid their questions."

Octagon: Octagon bites back a comment, before nodding to himself in agreement. "Time to go."

Sneaking OUT of the Deadliest Zoo, Spider Nobility in tow. Espionage +4 (for breaking out) and Discrete +4 (for doing it without getting caught!).

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Daveron (Arandia, Harvan)

"Yes, help me with this bounty, and I'll cut you some gold for your troubles." Daveron looks at the trophies, and takes the bandit leader's head, and ties it to his arm. "Except for this one, I'm keeping this one." Daveron gives a drunken smirk.

Using +2 Noble as leverage in the whole "Nobles probably maybe keep their word." Just as an FYI, I do plan on paying the guard part of the take if he helps facilitate the process of getting me some money for some heads.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Vanthos (Eosia, Eisos)

He wanted power, certainly. But to do that. To kill his family? Is that something he could do? Is it something he SHOULD do? He thinks about how his wife and son are drains on him, how they're holding him back. But he has other memories too. He remembers his wife as a young woman, on their wedding day. He remembers holding his newborn son in his arms. Those memories sit side by side with these new ones.

"I have to. . .I have to think on this. I have to consider it. But if I take you up on your offer, what do I do? How should I do it?" At that point, he remembers the Imp. "Can I use this being to contact you? What should I call you?"

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Adam - Sellos mine

The entire walk felt rather silly in his opinion, but he kept his mouth shut as he lead the general on. Seemed like some kind of strange Verdant Isle practice that they did back where Kovar came from to keep their kids feeling like heroes. No matter, he thought, Kovar seemed like a nice man, maybe he thought he could make Adam more like his people with this. He was probably homesick. Yeah. Adam made a note to take him drinking later tonight.

As they got to the mine, Kovar began their well laid and incredibly well thought out plan, and he gave a hand himself.

"Oi! Fel! What the bloody hell is going on! Its me! Adam! Come up here! Are you alright!"

Action, helping out Kovar. None of my actual traits help, as I am far too out of my depth here, so hopefully my awesomeness will make up for it!

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Koth - Outside the town of Halfway

Koth feels the familiar pang in his chest as he prepares to seperate from his pack. They're all used to it by now, whenever Koth needs supplies, or when game has been lean and they need some more meat. The wolves will hang around for a few days, and then the beta pair will lead them to the usual migratory routes, but Koth hopes he won't be that long.

He briefly considers taking off his mask, or at least switching to a less conspicous one, but dismisses the idea. Instead he takes his blade-stick, the furs, tusks, antlers and bones he has been collecting the last few months, as well as a good part of the mechant's ex-money. That shoud be enough to cover whatever fee Dorgan manages to dream up.

Koth doesn't quite remember which of them owes which at the moment, but it usually works itself out. As he passes through the town gates, he waves his sack of wares at the guards in passing, usually enough of an inspection in a small trading town like this. Now, to the market, then Dorgan's "office".

Trading at the market, then finding his friend.
Deceptively quick[+4] and The Big Bad Wolf[+4] to get where he's going quickly and un-hosed-with, Animal cunning[+2] to get a good price for his wares.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Stavos

Stavos visibly sighs when he sees the medallion, and resigns himself. In for a penny...

"I am Stavos Burhonhim, Alchemist, but you already know this. It seems that we shall have to wait until later to discuss things. I was hoping to find you in better circumstances, but we'll have to make due. I know that you're not in the best mood right now, but there are some things that you should know..."

Going to follow the group. Stavos will inform Edo on relevant information about the wizards. Don't lie directly to them, etc. Looking for something of an infodump here as well; is there going to be any chance that Edo gets out of this without being sentenced to prison/vivisection/death/etc?

Sorry for the low effort post. Too busy this week to think about how to respond this week.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

There is a great deal of confusion as you collect the troops and while some of them remember some compromising details you have an advantage in that many do not trust what they saw and heard due to the witch's magic. However you find yourself presented with an unfortunate and unexpected situation. Despite the disaster of what just happened, many of those you have gathered back together wish to go at the witch again. They are concerned for Civar's safety, but also inspired by his bravery in not only standing up to the witch in the height of her magic, but also for chasing after her alone. The group is starting to wind itself up again, ready to chase into the woods after the pair of them.

Failure, but the group buy the story in the worst way.

The Shaman nods and wordlessly takes the body of the beast you offer to him. He looks like he is going to say something, doubt runs across his face like a shadow but he seems to decide better of it. "Thankyou for your gift oh Spirit. I will do as you ask and have it ready for your return." The Shaman waits for you to leave before trudging back to the village, who you can smell waiting nearby probably too afraid to approach closer.

Following back to your house is a little more difficult than you though, because you see things and perceive things differently in your new form. While you do not miss your landmarks and the ways you guide yourself, they are no longer second nature and you need to think on the matter. The tracks lead further north towards another town, but it will be several days travel to reach it. However the tracks also cross to another area, a cold wood with lots of trees covered in snow. In the woods it is harder to follow tracks, snow piles up on trees and then falls down to be spread around the ground. Degowin can remain in the area to wait for the antlers, or he can move to the town or woods. Both will take some time to properly investigate.

Success, you need to decide where to move to next.

Daveron & Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan) 7

The guards look at the bandit and are about to say something before Daveron steps in. His armour is covered in dried blood which says a lot about his activities for the day so far. After his particular comment and smile they shrug and decide to leave it at that. Clearly the noble had some kind of punishment in mind and he didn't seem like he was going to be...too merciful.

"Okay milord, if you like we can take care of the bounty and bring the gold to your house?" The guard offers after Daveron's suggestion, and he would be aware that such bounties would be written in a logbook so that if he felt cheated he would be able to check.

Success, you can deal with the bandit yourselves and are able to delegate the corpses to the guards if you so wish

Civar (Arandia, woods north of Coltain)

Aideen remained silent as you moved away from the house, but you could hear the sounds of the militia regrouping and seemingly regaining their confidence as their volume increased.

Sorry for the short reply, I'll move you on if Andra succeeds in defusing the crowd or you'll be thrust back into trouble again.

Edo & Stavos (Eosia, Eisos Markets)

The Imperial Mages of Eosia are a group of imperially sanctioned magicians that are centred around the Imperial University. In return for having much of their costs covered by the Empire, they police magic and its users within Eosia (and outside when they had more authority and power). All people with magical talent, or at least those wishing to learn need to go to the Imperial University and are examined. Those who pass the initial tests are supported to become Mages, while those who do not or are deemed 'unfit' are prohibited from using Magic and punished if caught. Because of the insular nature of the group the Imperial Mages tend to be somewhat arrogant and exclusive. However unless it is a time of war or self defence the Mages don't actually kill anyone, the worst they will do is cut off a serial offender's hands to prevent them from casting magic. If someone kills with magic however and is proven guilty of murder then they are executed. Edo is unlikely to really suffer anything that will be physically damaging, but the Mages are likely to be assholes about...everything really.

"Magister Ajikan" the man says shortly and without little other explanation as he leads the pair up to the main street and then along the road towards the centre of town. The Imperial University is near the Imperial Palace and the gardens for both are connected, as the Mages help in the care and construction of them. Edo takes the time to evaluate the pair of them, and finds that Stavos is in reasonably good health...he has a few problems here and there but nothing really stands out. The Magister Ajikan on the other hand has a kind of weakness in his bowels somewhere (kidney, I don't think Edo would know about anatomy much but if you want to that's up to you) and a subtle limp from an old injury to his leg but does not seem ill or about to die.

Success, also my apologies if it looked like I ignored your foible. It was factored into the post, it was just that Stavos came in so he just decided to make him in charge of your welfare and then could force you to come along. The foible itself was responsible for that particular bit of interaction and for him believing you might be crazy. But if you have a problem with something like that again ask me about it. I was trying to play along with Edo's perceptions of the city and being swept along in a strange place, but I might have missed the mark a little.

Aldrain (Eosia, Great Library of Eisos)

Time seems to slow and you feel...larger. You can feel yourself built each piece of lumber and stone at a time, until you are finished and furnished with shelves. Then people bring books and place them upon those shelves. Yet you haven't awakened yet...it takes time until people come to forget that you are just a room with books in it and instead look at you as something else. An ideal, some kind of sacred concept where the preservation of knowledge is what is important. Yet at the same time they slowly begin to forget you were originally made to share knowledge, fewer people come to you each decade and you begin to worry that people may stop entirely. You know from their thoughts and words, which you understand in a vague way, that they are stopping people from learning hear. Knowledge needs to be preserved, but to what use is it if no one can use it? There is no point in keeping a book safe and in good condition for the next generation if that next generation is never allowed to read it.

Suddenly Aldrain realises he has spent several hours in this section without being aware of it. He begins to feel a bit weak from all of the exertion and also from hunger. Perhaps people will even be looking for him after so long...

Adam & Kovar- (Taeless, mines of Sellos)

A strange wind seemed to wail out of the mines, until the group realised there were words in it.

"Once I spied a girl fair,
With emerald eyes and flaxen hair,
We giddy danced the night away,
And made merry under the hay."

Which sounds like a cheerful folksong, except that Adam knows the rest of the lyrics.

A man came sneaking in the night,
His greedy heart was set alight,
Into my house with knife he came,
And on the floor made bloody stain,
Lock your door against the lost,
Lest you learn that sorry cost,
Offer no peace for those that come,
Lest blood upon the earth will run.

The tale is supposed to remind you to lock your doors against thieves and bandits at night, but given Fel's earlier comments it seems like he might be viewing Kovar as some kind of invader. But just as the group can ponder what all this means the voice comes again, clearer this time and echoing from the rocks.

"It is hard to talk from so far away, come down her and speak to me face to face."

Success, you figure out Fel can hear you.

Mazir- (Elysian Sands, Elysia)

Mazir chants his spell which catches Berel's attention, the interest in the other mage is clearly enough to demonstrate that he is not some mere apprentice or amateur even if you have yet to judge the full scope of his abilities. Hartun and Zel simply nod and after Mazir finishes the spell the two move a bit more smoothly and responsively. Their eyes still seem as dead as before though.

Once the pair have left the room Berel remains standing while the other two sit. He locks eyes with you and begins to cast a spell, which you recognise as a spell to dispell glamours and illusions. As you feel it ripple over you his eyes widen, although only slightly, and then he sits down apparently satisfied. Mazir realises he is beginning to feel a little tired himself however, as he remembers that there is a cost to giving energy to another.

Success, although you feel a little tired after doing so. It's not enough to affect what you do yet however.

Octagon - (Taeless, Taelos Private Zoo)

Octagon manages to alight his way out of the zoo without being caught, just closing the roof emergency exit as he can hear the first signs of the guards coming in to patrol. "Well then I am sure they will be particularly anxious about my disappearance. So my knight, where are we going and what would you have me do?"

How and why does a spider know about knights?

Success, you manage to get out of the zoo FOR NOW safely.

Vanthos (Eosia, Eisos)

"Killing them is simple enough, I do not care how you do it. Just kill them and dedicate their deaths to me. Invoke the name of Balsataroth as you do so. But know this mortal, if you do not have the will and the vision to seize control of your own life, someone else will. There are others that I can get to do this task. Oh they may be less competent but if they are willing and can hear me that is all I need, and your little hole has been very useful indeed." The voice says slowly changing from silken and inviting to harder and more commanding. When it finishes its next comment, Balsataroth's voice is like a fiery storm inside of Vanthos' head.

"Do not bother me again mortal if you cannot do this task. The imp will aid you if you command it. Now that you know what to do we are done here."

Then the connection is lost and the gap in reality that Vanthos had opened to summon the imp closed, leaving him to wonder exactly what its words about 'his hole' being very useful meant exactly...but one thing was clear. There might be others who could gain Balsataroth's power if they wished and Vanthos had gotten the impression that the first to serve him would be the most richly rewarded of all.

Koth - (Frozen Wilds, Outskirts of Halfway)

The guards make a kind of cursory statement of avoiding trouble on principle, but leave Koth to his business after that. This close between Eosia and the Wilds there were many strange folk who came and went and the people in the town, though further south than many Wilders, were still a hard and resilient people who would brook little violence or mayhem in their town. Koth was clearly dangerous and as long as he did not bother people they were very much content to let him be and attend to his business.

Dorgan for his part was Eosian, which was a minority in the town. Koth remembered a tale told about him dealing in forbidden goods and fleeing for his life, but wasn't sure if it was true or not. Dorgan made sure to put on a show of his 'wealth' though and his office was fairly ostentatious compared to the town proper. The man himself sat at his desk, notably close to the fire which was burning merrily. His face and body had the look of someone who used to have a lot more meat on their bones than they now did and he had a kind of nervous look on his face. Dorgan was notoriously paranoid, which was part of what made him so good at information brokering; he had a perceived need to know everything he could.

He settled down a little (but not too much) when he realised it was Koth. "How did the merchant guard work out? I thought you'd be gone for a good week or two more. Did he give up already?" He says with a kind of nervous laugh.

Success, you reach Dorgan without incident.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 10, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

"Like hell!" Andra tells the men, shaking her head angrily. In reality, she's angry at herself, for failing to sell the story properly - but they don't have to know that. "Look here - the witch is on the run, but she's not powerless, and who among you thinks you can stand up to her abilities again? You ran the first time, and Civar was quite clear - he can't take the risk of getting interrupted by someone in the witch's thrall! Her magic works on the mind, my friends, and if any of us fall victim to her again it could endanger all of us, and Civar as well." She sighs, then, and shakes her head. "Look, I don't like it any more than any of you do. But when it comes to a duel of magic... none of us here are wizards. We do not, as much as I hate to admit it, have any place in a wizard war."

Using every trick at her disposal to keep the men from chasing after the witch (who will probably kill them and assume she's been betrayed if they chase her). Using Charming as Hell [+4] to induce the men to listen to her and trust her; using Doughty Warrior [+4] to project an aura of martial competence, giving the men the impression that she's someone who knows of what she speaks; using Naval Experience [+2] to use the proverbial Voice of Command, the kind of attitude that says 'every man on this ship needs to do what I say because I'm the Captain dammit' despite the fact that they're not on a ship.

It's a stretch, I know, but still. Worth a shot. :D

Ryoutarou
Nov 6, 2009
Liliana - Taeless, The Pit

She got up when it was near her turn and picked a sword that looked as if it could be drawn from it's sheathe quickly. She pulled it out of the scabbard and felt the weight of the blade and gave the sword a few quick swings. Happy with her choice she attached the scabbard to her hip and returned to waiting, knowing it was almost her turn. "Do to well and fight forever? I hope it doesn't come to that." secretly she was now hoping someone in the audience was going to recognize her. But she doubted that would be the case, since this was one of thoes types of fighting pits.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Sellos Mines

This new request screamed trap to Kovar, and so without even consciously realizing it he reached deep into that place within himself where his new-found power dwelt, trying to divine the best way to deal with the situation.

Trying to figure out the best strategic choice. Divine Strategy[+2]

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Sellos Mines

Kovar yells down the hole, "No, you're turning the mountain into a volcano. Going down there will kill us, and if the change keeps happening the eruption will burn the village to ash. I've seen it before, I grew up on an island with a volcano."

Powerful Charisma[+4] to try and convince him what he's doing is dangerous for the town. Feel free to ignore the earlier action.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 10, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - The Deadliest Zoo, Taelos

Octagon does not take any time to ponder a spider's curious knowledge of the feudal system. Instead, he makes his way back to the home of his original assignment, explaining along the way. "There is a man I would like you to kill. A simple 'kiss', and that is all. I'd slit his throat myself, but I'm afraid they are already on their guard, and would be expecting me. I doubt very much they will be expecting you."

Heading over to The Target's Home. I need to see what's up over there before I do anything.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar "I am a hero" Kit'An (Arandia, woods north of Coltain, headed North to Harvan)

I sneezed.

"We should probably hurry, Aideen. Just in case they come back. Let's head straight out to the other side of your skull ring to buy the maximum time, and you'd better run. My cart should obscure most of your tracks, but we can't take the chance they'll start thinking something is wrong if they can't find any tracks of a woman on foot."

Once the sounds of pursuit fall far enough behind that we can't hear them anymore, we slow to a fast walk. "There, that seems to have bought us at least a little time. Let me tell you a little about the Tia'cha. There's a troupe of them that like to follow the river Frostwine from it's source in the mountains all the way down to Harvan. This time of year, there's a good chance they're somewhere near Harvan. Wintering in the mountains can be a dicey business. They're leader is a devilishly handsome man named Ferka Ros'ki. He'd give you the shirt off his back if he thought you needed it, but don't throw the bones with him, or he'll win your shirt off your back. Last time we crossed paths, a year or two back, none of the women had managed to pin him down yet."

"Traveling with them is like riding on a rainbow. Every day is a new marvel and you are constantly surrounded by a wild swirl of colors. Men and women alike dress in the brightest, most vibrant clothing they can make, charm, borrow, or steal. Even their animals and pets are adorned with colorful ribbons and every sort of sparkling thing. It makes finding them easy. Which is the entire point. As much as goods, they carry stories, tall-tales, and news. If you're in need, they're more than willing to trade you a meal and shelter for the latest news and gossip. If you're not, you may find you've been paid in the same coin. Despite all the stories about them being thieves or children snatchers, they serve a vital service in Arandia. By carrying stories and news up and down the country they help knit the farflung communities into a unified culture."

"Most Tia'cha troupes travel in large, tall wagons. Imagine a narrow house on wheels and you won't be too far off. Like everything else about the Tia'cha, they're larger and more colorful than life. The sides are painted every hue you can imagine, and some you probably haven't. Sunflower yellow, rose red, sky blue, and forest green all traveling side by side. Even if you don't decide to stay, it's a sight well worth seeing! Ferka's folk have modified their wagons to be able to float once the wheels are removed, and they float down the Frostwine for half the year, then trundle back up it the other half. It makes them one of the most predictable troupes, but even they have no set schedule and might spend months in the back woods if something catches their fancy."

"Their attitude towards witchcraft is more permissive and accepting than most. Their attitude towards everything is more permissive than most, even here in Arandia. Most troupes are guided by a wisewoman in addition to a temporal leader responsible for the day to day affairs of the troupe. The leader handle decisions about when and where to camp for the night, and settles most disputes, but he always listens to the wisewoman. The wisewoman is usually the one to decide which direction the troupe will travel next. The wisewoman of Ferka's troupe was named Chavali Tor'ini. If you knew what was good for you; when she spoke, you listened." I paused for a moment to gauge my audience of one. Audience of two if you count my mule. "She may even have been as skilled as you. There's no way to tell who might be the wise woman now though. When Tia'cha bands meet, there is a week long festival as they catch each other up on all that they've learned and the troupes mingle and party in a shared camp. Troupe members almost always change troupes after a couple of meetings, and rarely stay longer than a trio of years with a single troupe. So even odds that Chavali has moved on by now and been replaced by someone from another band."

"We should probably run again if you're up for it. We need to put as much distance behind us as possible. How about I tell you the tale of Torries Ride after this. You remind me a bit of her."

The short update is fine. I like being a hero! besides, this gives me a chance to talk about the Tia'cha.

M: Make it look like I'm really chasing Aideen +2

M: Stage Magician +2

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir- Elysian Sands

Well, those two should hopefully return soon with a person so that I may demonstrate my abilities. I'm sure you understand the need for subtlety in a situation such as this. In the mean time, is there anything I can get you?

Being a good host while I wait for Hartun and Zel.

[+2 Charisma]: Being polite and a good host to keep my guests entertained, sacred hospitality and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo, Eisia, Imperial University

The names of the two men mean little to Edo, but closer examination reveals a little more. Edo's healing sight suggests that Magister Ajikan is sick and also hurt his leg, but neither seems immediately fatal. "When we're done with the exam, Magister Ajikan -" Edo tries to mimic the magister's abrupt tone "- I can heal your leg and do something about your stomach. Special price for imperial servants. You'll be good as new."

Then he turns to Stavos.

"An alchemist, huh? Guess I forgot about that." Edo knows Stavos is still trying to maintain the ruse, but the magister doesn't seem to care so Edo doesn't see much point in it either.

Under his breath and (hopefully) out of earshot of the magister he adds, "I don't think the magister believes your story - I don't think anyone's going to mistake anyone from Blackwater for a rich man. He probably just wants to arrest you too and is saving time." Edo's whispered words shine with the cynicism of youth.

"In any case, why don't you tell me what's in it for you in coming with me?"

No relevant qualities to avoid being overheard if that's important.

• Locked thread