Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Weird I took the Ancient Ruins (Goblins) thing as gospel but instead it was full of giants and slugs (Leith was iffy about our chances)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Burning Nerd Core posted:

Weird I took the Ancient Ruins (Goblins) thing as gospel but instead it was full of giants and slugs (Leith was iffy about our chances)

I've never seen that happen, but I've definitely seen the estimator... overestimate its chances :v:

It's usually pretty accurate, so between that, some experience, and the rewind feature, you don't need to fear stumbling into something totally impossible if you don't want. I don't think I used rewind even once in my previous two games (which, I'm sure, is part of the reason I lost, but hey, gotta learn somehow).

I think the estimator goes away once you up the difficulty past Skilled though...

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

This is the first challenging single-player fantasy game I've played in ages. Honestly, on anything but Beginner I am struggling. This game has the best tactical AI I've seen in a 4x game.

I haven't made an alliance yet (and assumed that the alliance quests were just ways to get those provinces). Are alliances persistent between shards, or do they only last for the one shard?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Burning Nerd Core posted:

It's because slugs, (and presumably giants, considering what happened to you) and other swamp creatures are part of the units tougher goblin encounters can spawn with. Since goblins themselves are weaklings, higher level encounters tend to have more and more basilisks/slugs/whatever.

occipitallobe posted:

This is the first challenging single-player fantasy game I've played in ages. Honestly, on anything but Beginner I am struggling. This game has the best tactical AI I've seen in a 4x game.

I haven't made an alliance yet (and assumed that the alliance quests were just ways to get those provinces). Are alliances persistent between shards, or do they only last for the one shard?

They are just for the one shard.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
What does losing a shard in the campaign actually do? I played around a bit and tried the higher difficulties, so I lost a bunch of fights - looks like the shards disappear and you can't try again. Do you lose the bonuses for good, or do they pop back sometime? Should I just restart?

Also, if you're playing a goody two-shoes like I am, get allied with the elves. Seriously. Their starting stats might not seem that impressive but by the end of my last shard I had, for example, an elf with 19 archery skill killing most things in a single shot. And my commander had 6 elves, so most of the enemy army was usually dead by the end of round 1. You also get some pretty neat elven buildings into your capital's foreign quarters, the best of which gives ALL your provinces +1 happiness regardless of race or terrain or anything.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm about to try again and do an alliance. I had no idea allying with them actually netted you their provinces AND units. I'm in the campaign though, so it does sound like some things are a bit different.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

victrix posted:

Units heal slooooooooooowly per turn. You can speed it up by a) building structures like the infirmary that speed troop healing b) using magic rituals that heal troops (unlocked via ruin exploration or magic structure building) c) placing them in a garrison, which speeds healing or d) using heal spells in battle.

Gems are your only limit on spell usage though, so feel free to pile up 3-4 heal spells in the early game and leave an enemy unit alive while you heal up your units at the end of the fight.

No idea on translated manual. I've found a few things, but they're badly translated. The Russian fan community seems really friendly, there's apparently some insanely huge Russian mod (surprise, given their HoMM efforts) that they'd like to bring to the english fans, but they need translation help.

Word. Thanks. Just beat the first shart. This game is awesome. I get woefully addicted to this sort of thing. GOOD THING MY PARENTS ARE COMING TO VISIT.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Russian wiki here:

http://eador.com/en/

Use google chrome's translation feature or a google-translate add-on for your browser to read it. Loads of useful information. Say the battle estimates there are 4 giant spiders in a ruin...it's nice to know exactly how strong those spiders will be.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
This game is easily the most amazing TBS I've ran into in a long time - I'm glad this thread came up or I would have never found it.

Oinor still won't ally with me, no matter how much I try to bribe him - it's possible the fact that he wasn't thrilled with my astral alignment, being neutral bordering on dishonest, which is making him less willing to full on buddy up in-map even with me nearing max good there. I did, however, find a forum post confirming that if you do ally with him, it's possible to get an alliance victory, of a sort - once all the other enemies are dead, you and your ally will negotiate over the owner of the shard, presumably depending on the personality of each master and how much they like you. Oinor, apparently, if you are equal in strength or only moderately close, will let you draw lots for ownership instead of duking it out, or if you are powerful or he likes you a whole lot, he'll just cede the shard to you.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 26, 2012

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I just ran into a pretty much impossible shard on the campaign. The other wizard going against me (Oinor) was easy-ish, but the other had some ridiculous guards with horsemen on his every province. I still can't build other than tier 1 units (wonder when do you actually unlock tier 2 recruitment buildings), so I couldn't beat those drat horse-guards even with my best troops. And he had them on EVERY damned province.

I wonder if losing shards actually leaves you technologically behind like this.. I had lost a few previously, might be the reason. Can't really check the russian wiki either; my Chrome translates the front page but refuses to translate the others, for some reason.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Well gently caress. It's now 3AM. drat this game is awesome. Still getting the hang of it.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

I only really get lucky by starting out with a Necromancer, since it really bleeds out your Gem supply instead of Gold, which you need to put guards and poo poo on things. I then got extremely fortunate finding an awesome rare mace which I put on a Warrior, and he could basically solo anything on the map after a few levels.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Good god. After killing the local lord on my first medium map, that had as a reward what would be my first T2 units, since Oinor was not my ally he declared war... and curbstomped me so hard, to an unfair degree. He had some T2 units, including the one i was trying to unlock with this continent. Plus, his heroes all had T2 spells! Possibly even some T3. With AOE spells every round, and T2 units my scout takes 3 doubleshots each to kill, on top of all 4 heroes attacking from multiple directions while my Commander was being as terrible as always (only level 4 like 200 turns in) so he was no help. I had no chance. How did any of you unlock T2 units?

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
If you lose a shard with a tier two unlock, is it gone forever? If so, that's pretty aggressive.

Anyhow, having good luck with a starting commander hero (playing skilled). 4 archer + 3 magic spark is enough to deal with many of the early game mobs, and then as he goes up in rank he starts giving ranged damage bonus, and bringing a LOT of archers.

Not the best strategy I'm sure, but so far working out.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The best strategy is the one that works. I don't think anyone here has successfully transitioned to a mid difficulty.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Big Sean posted:

If you lose a shard with a tier two unlock, is it gone forever? If so, that's pretty aggressive.

Anyhow, having good luck with a starting commander hero (playing skilled). 4 archer + 3 magic spark is enough to deal with many of the early game mobs, and then as he goes up in rank he starts giving ranged damage bonus, and bringing a LOT of archers.

Not the best strategy I'm sure, but so far working out.

I just got another shard with the same heavily armored dude with a halberd reward, so it's not lost forever.

Amusingly enough, I just curbstomped Oinor on a tiny shard in a way that was the COMPLETE reverse of what usally happens in this game, hahaha. I started to expand, and got the standard spy warning - he had just taken a province on the edge of my map. Interestingly enough, there was no heroes there - apparently he won the province but his hero died in the proccess (So it was being sent back to the castle) - i rush over, take his province (undefended), and lo and behold it was adjacent to his stronghold. His stronghold had no guards, and his hero was dead. I snagged it, undefended. It had 1 slinger garrisoned. Victory! :haw:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Haha, there's a ritual that summons a fake enemy army for you to train your units on! This game's definitely pretty drat good.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Haha, there's a ritual that summons a fake enemy army for you to train your units on! This game's definitely pretty drat good.

I think it permanently damages their morale - though it might be temporary? Not sure. Regardless, most units have way more morale than they need unless you're fighting a necromancer, so that's not too terrible of an exchange in many cases.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There are some nasty events.

I had a run in with a band of Inquisitors who weren't too happy with my horrendously evil actions. When I told them to gently caress off, they warned me they would be back. Flavor text, said I.

Nope.

They sieged one of my provinces a few turns later and conquered it, setting up an inquisitorial state.

Huh, said I. I squashed them and went about my business.

Still not done!

They staged repeated raids over the next several dozen turns, occasionally completely conquering provinces, and eventually necessitating fairly sturdy guards in every one of my provinces to protect from surprise inquisition visits.

It's possible there was an end-stage to that long event, but I died to the AI before I could see it :v:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

victrix posted:

There are some nasty events.

I had a run in with a band of Inquisitors who weren't too happy with my horrendously evil actions. When I told them to gently caress off, they warned me they would be back. Flavor text, said I.

Nope.

They sieged one of my provinces a few turns later and conquered it, setting up an inquisitorial state.

Huh, said I. I squashed them and went about my business.

Still not done!

They staged repeated raids over the next several dozen turns, occasionally completely conquering provinces, and eventually necessitating fairly sturdy guards in every one of my provinces to protect from surprise inquisition visits.

It's possible there was an end-stage to that long event, but I died to the AI before I could see it :v:

One of your provinces has a lair which is an inquisitors' stronghold. Once you have explored and found that lair, and sent an army there to crush it, the inquisitors will stop raiding you.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

One of your provinces has a lair which is an inquisitors' stronghold. Once you have explored and found that lair, and sent an army there to crush it, the inquisitors will stop raiding you.

Good to know! I had that inquisition thing brutalize my last shard - I was lucky the only opponent there was some two bit local lord instead of Oinor. Hell, they killed the guards on my home province and started sieging it before I had to send my heroes back from the front lines to break the siege.

I've finally gotten some tier 2 units - thank god. Bishops are amazing, and I used them to easily get Horsemen on the shard after that. Just about to try horsemen out, sad to see they are neutral so no morale stacking. Ah well, at least they aren't evil.

The second master dude showed up, and I just went on an average map for a second attempt at unlocking Guardsman. I just know that I'm going to get both masters doubleteaming me, though Oinor is finally 'favorable' disposition towards me, so I might be able to get him to buddy buddy with me vs the necromancer rear end in a top hat.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Out of curiosity, does being evil have any gameplay repercussions later on? Because the necromancy/demon summoning trees are so hilariously overpowered in tier 1 that I more-or-less ran straight demon summoning/necromancy/holy healing magic early on (as my t1 units could only compete if they were very, very levelled, with plentiful undead and demonic meat shields to absorb blows), and am consequently Hitlersatan Stalinballs McMao.

Einion won't even look at me, the prissy snob, and I seem to have inadvertently fallen into the habit of torturing my civilians so my demon pets won't think I'm not cool.

Also, has anyone else had good luck with the blue crystal thing that you build to give quests? I find that it tends to give me quests to kill things that are in my home province, and when it gives armor, or a sword those are the best item you'll get in any T1 shard. Not sure if that'll continue as the game goes on, but I think it could be worth rushing early game.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

The only TBS games I'm familiar with are the Total War series, which I love very much. Never played any of the HOMM games, so how familiar/unfamiliar would I be with this?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I finally won a shard but I won it in a way similar to Wolpertinger, a stomping all the way through. I was exploring and expanding slllloooooowwwwwwlllyyy and found out there wree two enemy lords. I think they were too busy fighting each other to focus on me, so I was able to build up without being attacked. I was lucky enough to have a ton of income so I got two heroes and did pretty well.

However, I'm a bit troubled that it took towards end game for my archer to get a bow worth a drat, and the mage never really got any good spells except perhaps Fireball. I hope as the game goes on I have more opportunities to get better items that make them more competitive. If I didn't have such a massive gold supply or fortifications my Heroes would have been maybe half as effective during most of the game.

Also tip: BUY THE GUARD UNIT GUARDS . Having non lovely guards on your provinces makes a WORLD of difference. The enemy can't steam roll in and just take stuff like they used to. Also, when a guard unit is attacked by an uprising/enemy attack be sure to REHIRE THEM. They do not seem to heal up between battles and will eventually get weaker and weaker.

Oh and in the Arena pick the novice level. i was doing super well and picked the middle one and was facing an army of 13 or so T2-4 units that immediately killed me.

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 26, 2012

ZaronYeras
Sep 14, 2007
So I've been trying to play this game in windowed mode but nothing I try seems to work, I tried editing the shortcut, opening the config file, no matter what I do it always runs fullscreen. I'm running in windows 7. Any ideas? I have the GoG version.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think beta sign-up for MOTBW is still active, so you guys might want to sign up:

http://www.snowbirdgames.com/forum/index.php?threads/beta-sign-up.64/

I already got in. It's pretty cool. :)

Megazver fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 26, 2012

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ZaronYeras posted:

So I've been trying to play this game in windowed mode but nothing I try seems to work, I tried editing the shortcut, opening the config file, no matter what I do it always runs fullscreen. I'm running in windows 7. Any ideas? I have the GoG version.

Try going to Start Menu>All Programs>GOG.com>Eador Genesis, there should be a windowed option there.

ZaronYeras
Sep 14, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

Try going to Start Menu>All Programs>GOG.com>Eador Genesis, there should be a windowed option there.

Still goes fullscreen when I use that.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

ZaronYeras posted:

I found a non-launcher based executable in the main game directory. If I use that to start the game, it gives it to me in a window. (Eador.exe, instead of the "Launch Eador -Genesis" that the GOG versions seems to default to. I'm on windows 7 too, so maybe try that?

Fake edit: I think that exe was there by default, I was messing around with a modded version of the game that was supposed to fix the stutter until I found running two instances of the game at once was far easier, but I think that Eador.exe was there by default.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Wolpertinger posted:

I think it permanently damages their morale - though it might be temporary? Not sure. Regardless, most units have way more morale than they need unless you're fighting a necromancer, so that's not too terrible of an exchange in many cases.

Nope, it's a temporary loss that recovers in a few turns. Basically once you have that ritual you want to be casting it every time it comes off cooldown if you can afford it. Great way to get a secondary Hero up to scratch, or just boosting your main one.

--------------

Alliance efortpost, since this poo poo is pretty critical and can help immeasurably:

Here's pretty much all the info you'll need to get your Foreign Quarters up and running:

1)Lizardmen - no prerequisites. Task - kill 6 slugs;
2)Halflings - no prerequisites. Task - kill 15 brigands;
3)Elves - very high positive karma. Task - clear a "Mage Tower" site;
4)Orcs - negative karma, big army. Task - pillage 150 gold;
5)Goblins - negative karma, big army. Task - kill 5 elves. Hero with diplomacy can buy alliance for 1500 gold;
6)Centaurs - high-level hero with big army. Task - kill 5 ogres (or other high tier neutral);
7)Dwarves - positive karma. Task - find sacred axe. Hero with diplomacy can buy alliance for 3000 gold;

A hero with high Diplomacy can bypass some of the requirements (like the karma level), but more often than not you'll need high Diplomacy just to initiate negotiations (Centaurs especially). Karma requirements take into account army composition, so you can fake it by dumping all your zombies and bandits in a garrison, then paying a visit with nothing but healers in every slot! :v:

You can only ally with one race per shard. Once you are allied with a given race, three buildings open up in the Foreign Quarter, granting you new sources of income, a new unit and (sometimes) a new guard. Additionally, the hero who completed the alliance quest can now automatically turn neutral provinces of that race with no battle needed, also with the option that the province keep its initial guards.

Which race to ally with? Well, besides the fact that a given shard might make one race or another easier to get to, there is also the difficulty consideration and the gains you make when you get the alliance. In short:

1)Lizardmen: Easy enough quest, once Slugs become a non-issue. Lizardmen as a unit are not that great. The second alliance building is meh (+2 gem income and +10% unit HP recovery in the demesne), as is the third (+1 gold income in Lizardmen provinces, new guard). The Lizardmen guard is decent enough (as it comes with a number of Basilisks and Medusas), but can only be posted in Swamp provinces. All in all, unless the shard is Swamp-heavy I'd give these guys a pass.

2)Halflings: Easy quest, but given the number needed you might be a little at the mercy of the RNG, if no brigand-heavy locations spawn. Halflings are only marginally better slingers, so you aren't getting much out of the alliance unit-wise. The second building is good (significant increase to population gain in the demesne, +1 gold increase in all Plains provinces), and the third is great (+15 gold income in the demesne, +1 mood in the demesne). To sum up, a decent choice if what you want is more gold and rapid growth in your demesne.

3)Elves: The hardest part about netting an alliance with the Elves is getting them to loving talk to you in the first place. Once that's been sorted (Scout with diplomacy and a good-Karma army works well), their quest is entirely RNG dependent; the actual location is a piece of cake to clear, but actually getting it to spawn can be a little roll-of-the-dice. It's a good idea to plan ahead and preserve all the Mage Tower locations intact, then blow them all when you get the quest. So after all that trouble, is it worth it? gently caress YES IT IS! I consider Elves one of the best alliances to make; The unit you receive is probably the best Tier 1 unit you will get from an alliance (only the centaurs give something better, and that unit is Tier 2), though it costs a fair bit to purchase. The elves' second building is the best out of all the buildings at that tier in the foreign quarter for income (+2 gold income from forest provinces, +2 gem income), and the third building is hands-down amazing (improves population mood in all provinces by 1). Bottom line, if you can put up with the hassle of getting the pointy eared snobs, and/or are playing a good-aligned character then go for it. Additionally, I've seen events proc after I allied with them that netted me a whole butt-load of gems (magic rain event), so they can be quite nifty for someone who's main hero is a mage.

4)Orcs: Easiest quest by far. To get it, just be evil and have a nice big army, then go one province out from the one you got the quest in and set your hero to "pillage"-mode. A few turns later you should have all the gold you need (remember to dump a guard in the province, the mood probably hit the lowest it can hit in the meantime), go back and deliver. Easy. The first building you get lowers the mood in the demesne by 1 and grants a poo poo unit, and the second building isn't much better (+1 gem income, +2 gold income in Orcish provinces), but the third one is amazing, right up there with the elvish one. What it does is, randomly every turn there is a chance your orcs will raid a province and offer you a share of the gold they get. This can vary wildly, the lowest I've seen being around 60 gold but the highest ~600-700. I'm not sure if there are negative repercussions following from these raids, but the mood in most of my provinces stayed the same throughout several turns of raiding. So going with an orc alliances is mostly for that one building and possibly the ease with which you can complete their quest. If your play-style is already on the evil side, just ally with the orcs whenever you can.

5)Goblins: Quest is a bit hit-or-miss, depending on if Elves have a province in the shard or not. If not, you are at the mercy of the RNG for locations with elven archers. Or you can dump a poo poo ton of gold and just buy the alliance. Worth it? Mmmmmehhhhhhh... Goblins as a unit are crap and the recruitment building hurts demesne mood by 1. Second building is decent if your main hero is mage and your gem economy isn't up to scratch (+3 gem income in Swamp provinces), and the third building is very RNG dependent (+2 gold income, occasionally produces artifacts for sale). I don't have enough experience with gobbo alliances to say if you can get decent enough artifacts in your store to justify it. I'd say give this alliance a pass in most cases.

6)Centaurs: Hardest alliance process, hands-down. First, your army needs to be big and your hero decently leveled for them to even offer the alliance quest. Secondly, Ogres are pretty tough neutrals, can be found with other dangerous neutral mobs (if the location is far from all demesnes) and whether or not you get a location with ogres is a crap-shot. On the bright-side, the effort is well worth it. Centaurs are the strongest alliance unit, and the only one at Rank 2, for good reason. The economic building is meh (+3 gem increase), but the third building is amazing (+5 gold income from Centaur provinces, can hire Centaur guard). The guards are great, a good mid/early-late game option with virtually no upkeep (though they can only be posted in Plains), and being able to turn centaur provinces without a fight is amazing, though admittedly these provinces are fairly rare). So if you can, I'd say go for it, especially if you don't care much of whatever Tier 2 options you have by default. Centaurs are highly mobile archer units, and on any open maps (or led by a Scout that has leveled that one skill that grants terrain affinity to all his units) they can run circles around the AI's units.

7) Dorfs!: Can't say much about these guys, haven't ever gotten their alliance. Still, as far as I know the location where the axe is spawns on quest acceptance so there is little RNG involved, though the fight can be rough. The gold-cost of the bypass is also pretty loving ridiculous at 3000, if you have that kind of scratch lying around then you are probably in the endgame and have no need for alliances. Dwarves as a unit are decent enough, I think they end up as a variation on the Swordsman, losing out on Parry but having higher Resistance. Their economic building provides +1 gold in hilly provinces and the Clan Guard. Not sure how good it is, but I assume not very, as the dwarves tend to be fairly easy to steamroll. Their third building is very good, but somewhat RNG dependent: +5 gold income, +10 income from Mithril and dwarven artifacts will be available for sale in the demesne. Dwarf items are decent mid-tier gear, and I think they can produce one kick-rear end cross-bow as well.

:spergin:

-------------------

So far I tend to play a good-aligned Mage on most shards, rushing Tier 2 buildings for the Fireball and Stone Rain spells. Once my economy is up to scratch, especially gem-wise, there are very few armies that can stand against my mage. I don't even need necromancy at all, once the hero is an Arch-Mage the fact that I can throw two spells a turn means that must enemies will be dead before they even get in range of my army.

I might swap over to being an evil git if only because Brigands are dirt cheap in cost and upkeep, and some of the advanced evil guards are amazing, Secret Agents in particular.

Jastiger posted:

Also, when a guard unit is attacked by an uprising/enemy attack be sure to REHIRE THEM. They do not seem to heal up between battles and will eventually get weaker and weaker.

Incorrect, they do heal but very very slowly. The rate is increased if you have heal-rate increasing buildings in the province. Admittedly, it is often better to rehire, especially if you are expecting subsequent action in the following turns.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 26, 2012

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lacklustre Hero posted:

The only TBS games I'm familiar with are the Total War series, which I love very much. Never played any of the HOMM games, so how familiar/unfamiliar would I be with this?

The strategic level is quite similar to Total War, in terms of developing your provinces - the combat is completely different. Instead of an RTS, it's a turn based hex grid tactical combat affair.

If you've played something like that and you like it/don't mind it (preferably like, there's a lot of combat in this game), give it a shot.

This is without a doubt one of the best TBS games I've played in a long time. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and find something I hate, but it hasn't happened. And the AI beat me, repeatedly, on a low difficulty setting, which is a plus in my book :v:

Also if you've never played HoMM, get your rear end over to gog.com and buy Heroes 2 and 3. If you really can't stomach the old art (I still wouldn't pass up H3 for that, it's so drat good), you could try Heroes 5 or the recent King's Bounty remake, which have a similar experience.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for clearing up the guard HP regen question. I get what RNG means but what does it stand for?

Also which mage class casts two spells? I didn't see that when my hero hit level 10 and I opted for the mage that increases spell power.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Thanks for clearing up the guard HP regen question. I get what RNG means but what does it stand for?

Also which mage class casts two spells? I didn't see that when my hero hit level 10 and I opted for the mage that increases spell power.

Random Number Generator.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Archmage - honestly, it seems like some of the multiclass options are too weak compared to the very powerful sticking with the main class. Pure scout can fire two arrows, which is godly, pure mage can cast two spells, which is godly - apparently warrior is the exception, and 'holy knight' is actually the best for him (warrior/commander) - with powerful self healing to keep on massacring everything solo

Untimely Brigand
Mar 28, 2007

ZaronYeras posted:

I had issues even getting the game to display at all in Windows 7, and spent a couple hours trying to figure out how to get around it and I came upon this troubleshooting post in the Snowbird forums:
http://www.snowbirdgames.com/forum/index.php?threads/eador-genesis-%E2%80%94-troubleshooting.72/

I went with the dxwnd option and the game has worked fine for me since. I know when you make a profile for the game, there's an option for fullscreen; perhaps keeping it disabled and running the windowed shortcut may work.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wolpertinger posted:

Archmage - honestly, it seems like some of the multiclass options are too weak compared to the very powerful sticking with the main class. Pure scout can fire two arrows, which is godly, pure mage can cast two spells, which is godly - apparently warrior is the exception, and 'holy knight' is actually the best for him (warrior/commander) - with powerful self healing to keep on massacring everything solo

Do you get Archmage at a higher level> I only had the option for mage once I hit 10. I agree otherwise, dual shot is godly.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
How the heck is experience calculated? How big of a bonus is there for getting a kill vs. just landing a hit vs. counterattacking? I'm torn on how much emphasis I should put on letting my hero get as many final shots as possible, vs. effective non-suicide tactics.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Jastiger posted:

Do you get Archmage at a higher level> I only had the option for mage once I hit 10. I agree otherwise, dual shot is godly.

Level 10, the pure-mage option. Next time you are in a battle try double-casting, it will work! Much like the pure-Scout option, getting two actions is borderline broken on a mage, just make sure you are packing enough +Stamina gear!

EDIT: Wait gently caress, I'm wrong. It's only at level 20, off from the pure-mage option at level 10. gently caress. :doh:

StringOfLetters posted:

How the heck is experience calculated? How big of a bonus is there for getting a kill vs. just landing a hit vs. counterattacking? I'm torn on how much emphasis I should put on letting my hero get as many final shots as possible, vs. effective non-suicide tactics.

I can't say for certain, but there IS is sizable bonus for getting the kills. However, all units that take part in a battle gain some collective exp. Having your units perform more actions vs. your hero is good, on the other hand, because it increases the chance they get medals at the end.

------------------------------

Anybody else just F10 through most early game battles? I find that baby-sitting Tier 1 units is just not worth the hassle, most of the time. Oh sure it is great getting a bunch of Swordsmen to lvl10+ with high defense stats and multi-stacked Parry... Only to loose them as soon as Tier 2 enemies become more common, or to getting focused, or to a lucky shot...

Honestly, I find that the AI does a good enough job that if the fight is not clutch I just auto-pilot it. This doesn't work if I have cavalry or high-mobility units, of course, because the AI has no loving clue how to keep them alive, but still.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 27, 2012

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Ugh It's really dumb when the AI has a warrior that can solo any guard you put up, forcing you to leave a drat Hero there just to dissuade him from attacking. The only way to win is by building a fort and having him siege it, and of course if you don't have the money for that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Goddammit it man this game is MEAN. I've been doing good vs that necromancer rear end in a top hat Master on my first fight vs him, when right in the thick of it and I'm about to turn the tides and push him back, he gets a wizard with a either t3 or t4 spell slot (not sure which) and starts SUMMONING GODDAMN VAMPIRES - these vampires can kill my level 15 warrior in a melee due to all that lifesteal and 60+ health and tons of damage and defense and 5 mobility and flying and aaaaggh! I don't have ONE t2 spell! My only t2 things are horsemen and bishops!

• Locked thread