Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So my new Macbook Pro seems... bluer than usual. The procedure for adjusting color is kind of counterintuitive, and I can't quite tell what's off. Blues are very strong and yellows and/or reds seem dull in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

So my new Macbook Pro seems... bluer than usual. The procedure for adjusting color is kind of counterintuitive, and I can't quite tell what's off. Blues are very strong and yellows and/or reds seem dull in comparison.

Run all of the updates. My new mbp was blue as gently caress until I did that. Afterwards, I was able to adjust normally.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Well all right then.

A mac mini with a mushkin chronos and 16 gigs of ram has a boot time of 5 seconds. :stare:

I am not complaining.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

There are also lots of pre-made color profiles to download depending whether you have a Samsung or LG panel.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

ratbert90 posted:

I got 16gigs of ram for my core-i7 mini along with a chronos 250gig ssd. Awww yeah. :smug:

Yeah, I just got a macbook pro with 16gb of ram. I came from a 24" iMac, it is just such a ridiculous difference.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
oops wrong thread.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 26, 2012

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, I just got a macbook pro with 16gb of ram. I came from a 24" iMac, it is just such a ridiculous difference.

:smug: :hf: :smug: The best part about it is that vmware feels just like another app. The mac STILL scores 10k on geekbench.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Try to avoid these conditions as much as possible.
Edit: Nevermind on the purchase recommendation, I've sorted it out for myself, thanks!

Impact Damage fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 26, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

movax posted:

I think you have to reflow the GPU, so essentially, nope, just sell it on eBay.

Not just reflow, you really gotta reball it for a good fix.

As far as hard drive in the optical bay, ive heard the optical bay does not have drop protection, so putting a spinny drive in there could be detrimental

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Run all of the updates. My new mbp was blue as gently caress until I did that. Afterwards, I was able to adjust normally.

This seems to have done the trick. (And I can actually calibrate color profiles now, instead of being told the specs aren't there.) Thanks.

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

Don Lapre posted:

As far as hard drive in the optical bay, ive heard the optical bay does not have drop protection, so putting a spinny drive in there could be detrimental

There are plenty of spinny drives out there with built-in drop protection which works internally and doesn't require anything else from logic board (I mean as long as drive sealed off properly and doesn't rattle in optibay).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

This seems to have done the trick. (And I can actually calibrate color profiles now, instead of being told the specs aren't there.) Thanks.

Yeah. I was pretty pissed at first when I got my MBP. I'm glad updates fixed it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah. I was pretty pissed at first when I got my MBP. I'm glad updates fixed it.

And the default color cal can often be wonky too especially if you got a LG panel in the parts lottery.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Am I crazy for wanting a 15" cMBP?

I've spent about a month with a pre-unibody 15" Pro. I have a 13" Air and I've had a couple 11" Airs. I don't need anything with serious CPU power so that's an issue.

The 15" Pro really isn't all that big (sure it's thick) and I find myself enjoying the 110ppi screen compared to the Air's ~130ppi. Then again I haven't taken it out of the house...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They make a really good desktop replacement. Since you said it barely leaves the house it could work. You'll also be able to throw in a 512gig SSD when they become cheap next year.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

They make a really good desktop replacement. Since you said it barely leaves the house it could work. You'll also be able to throw in a 512gig SSD when they become cheap next year.

And tend to be a bit nicer for typing than the Air due to the better key travel.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

computer parts posted:

From what I've read, it's actually that Apple doesn't let the optibay SATA port go to 6 GB/s, only 3, which is a problem for the SSD. I'll try swapping them, but ideally what I was trying is to have OS X on my main hard drive still and a bootcamp partition on the other one.

My setup is OSX on the SSD (and is my primary OS), with Windows on the Apple 500gb hard drive that came with the computer placed in the Opti bay. I've had it this way since the early Intel SSD days and its been great. I don't know why you'd want to keep OSX on your non-SSD as you wouldn't really see the benefits of it, unless you using a different OS installed to the SSD as your primary. Either way its quick to swap the two drives, and you can use CarbonCopy to clone the old drive onto the SSD in a few minutes.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
So for Christmas my father gave me his 2010 13" 2.4Ghz Core2Duo MBP [MacBookPro7,1] (250gb HDD/4GB RAM) and went out and got himself a new MBA. Fair enough, I was using a Dell laptop I bought in 2006 so this is actually an upgrade to it.

Now I see that I can upgrade to 8GB of RAM and stick a 1TB HDD in here if I want to (or a 750GB SSD Hybrid drive?). I'm running Mountain Lion and use this laptop while I work to browse the net, but plan to do some low-end gaming on it (Smaller Mac games I have on Steam, not sure how well GW2 will run on it but I'm pulling 40fps on the login screen where my old laptop was pulling 6...)

So let me ask you guys, is it worth the $150 to upgrade? My googling has mostly said that I should see some major speed increases if I do this. I was also reading something about the video card shares RAM with the system, but that didn't exactly sound right to me but I admittedly know very little about Macs.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the best deal on an optibay and superdrive enclosure? Seems to me you'd have to be dumb to pay $75+ for just a bracket to fit your extra hard drive in there, and a superdrive enclosure can't cost all that much. I'm going to be spending enough on the SSD as it is.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

fleshweasel posted:

What's the best deal on an optibay and superdrive enclosure? Seems to me you'd have to be dumb to pay $75+ for just a bracket to fit your extra hard drive in there, and a superdrive enclosure can't cost all that much. I'm going to be spending enough on the SSD as it is.

I got one of the $10 ones from Amazon. It's been working great, for about a year now. I had to dremel a bit on the optibay, but I knew that already from reviews. It was easy enough to do, although I don't think I'd want to have to do it without a power tool of some sort. With patience, a plain old file probably would work, though. I also bought a crappy superdrive enclosure on Amazon for $10. The front of the drive is exposed because the enclosure is meant for a tray loader, but I've used it like twice since I did the swap, and it does still work.

I put the SSD in the optibay because I was too lazy to bother swapping out the platter drive. I can only remember one kernel panic since then and it wasn't on waking from sleep. I don't know if it matters but I use a 2009 unibody 17 inch.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
My employer's given me the opportunity to get either a base 13" Air or a base 13" Retina, to replace my worse-for-wear 5-year-old Pro. Processor speed and graphics capabilities won't matter to me - most modern chips will have enough punch for my work in Photoshop, doing web graphics, Office, music, movies, and web browsing. My only concern is being stuck with 4GB of RAM on the Air, while the Retina has 8GB in base trim. I cannot customise a build.

While I've had some hands-on time with both machines, I'd like some input from those who've owned them for a while.

Do the 13" Retina MBPs still suffer from burn-in/retention? I read about this a while ago, and it looks more like an actual concern rather than people sperging out over slight imperfections.
Does the Intel on-chip graphics solution struggle to render stuff on the Retina?
How wieldy, in terms of bulk and weight, is the Retina?
Which scaled resolution do you use on the Retina? Which is most/least comfortable or usable?
How warm does the Air get when really pushing it? (my current MBP sears my palms on warm days in a room without AC)
What have you found wanting in either machine, if you have one?

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Retina because I kinda do want something nice with an "ooh" factor. Practicality-wise, the Air wins: the usable resolution is the same as I have now, it's lighter, it's thinner, and it has slightly longer battery life.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hello Spaceman posted:

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Retina because I kinda do want something nice with an "ooh" factor. Practicality-wise, the Air wins: the usable resolution is the same as I have now, it's lighter, it's thinner, and it has slightly longer battery life.

If you don't have to pay, the Retina makes sense due to the nicer IPS screen and also more starting RAM.

The Air tends to come out ahead in terms of value but in this case you don't have to worry about the bigger price difference.

And for overall weight/dimensions the Retinas have some pretty aggressive improvements making the delta to the Air much less.

The Air also tends to not have effective cooling overall at least for peak power situations and gets really hot in certain spots too if you run things such as 3D games. There's only so much that can be done with a single cooling fan.

etalian fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 27, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

Well, it hasn't left the house because I still have my Air. So I guess if I got one I'd probably just leave it on the desk 24/7. Then again maybe I should just get an iMac for home.

Tensokuu posted:

So for Christmas my father gave me his 2010 13" 2.4Ghz Core2Duo MBP [MacBookPro7,1] (250gb HDD/4GB RAM)

So let me ask you guys, is it worth the $150 to upgrade? My googling has mostly said that I should see some major speed increases if I do this.
I would throw in 8GB ($40) and an SSD of some sort ($70-$150). It will make it a lot snappier but it won't really make games any faster, you're being held back by the NVIDIA 320M.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Well, it hasn't left the house because I still have my Air. So I guess if I got one I'd probably just leave it on the desk 24/7. Then again maybe I should just get an iMac for home.

I would throw in 8GB ($40) and an SSD of some sort ($70-$150). It will make it a lot snappier but it won't really make games any faster, you're being held back by the NVIDIA 320M.

But still would make a pretty decent media/productivity machine with the upgrades, gaming on laptops always ends up being a hopeless cause.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

etalian posted:

But still would make a pretty decent media/productivity machine with the upgrades, gaming on laptops always ends up being a hopeless cause.

He said he plans on doing low-end gaming with it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Crossposting this, but the samsung 840 ssd's do not negotiate at sata 2 on mcp79 macs. So get something else.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Hooray, they replaced my Retina LG screen with a Samsung one. Color profile was a little warm so I grabbed this one. All is good.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
So I installed a new SSD, cloning my old HD and everything worked fine. Then I decided to put my old HD in the optical drive spot. Now I get no wi-fi installed or bluetooth installed. I'm wondering if I don't have the black camera/wi-fi cable that goes along the HD caddy plugged in correctly, or if it failed. The cable looks slug in there. Pulling up facetime it just shows me a no camera picture or maybe it does that because there's no wi-fi. This is on a late 2008 unibody. Anyone got any ideas?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Id open it all backup and redo all the connections.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, computer building 101: always power the thing on before you tighten all the screws. You ALWAYS miss something.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Bob Morales posted:

Cool, thanks for the reply! :)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Don Lapre posted:

Crossposting this, but the samsung 840 ssd's do not negotiate at sata 2 on mcp79 macs. So get something else.

Crossposting a possible solution: SanDisk evidently gives a poo poo about Macs as they released a special version of their firmware for those Macs with nVidia MCP79 Macs (MacBooks and Pros from 2008-2009) that disables SATA III and enables only SATA II mode so they negotiate at full speed (3Gb/sec) on those Macs instead of only SATA I (1.5 Gb/sec).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Crossposting a possible solution: SanDisk evidently gives a poo poo about Macs as they released a special version of their firmware for those Macs with nVidia MCP79 Macs (MacBooks and Pros from 2008-2009) that disables SATA III and enables only SATA II mode so they negotiate at full speed (3Gb/sec) on those Macs instead of only SATA I (1.5 Gb/sec).

As did OCZ (lol) and OWC, and one other SandForce vendor I can't think of - maybe it was Sandisk

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Well not a solution for samsung owners but yea. If you have MCP79 stay away from the 840. Mine is a late 2009 imac. My 830 will be here tomorrow and the 840 will be going back to amazon.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Is there anything wrong with an Intel 520 Series SSD in a new MBP?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I dont think anything has much of a problem in new machines, its old sata 2 machines that have issues.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Crossposting from the SSD thread:

Evidently there is a long-standing negotiation issue between SandForce SF-22xx series and nVidia MCP79 controllers. SSDs that use the SF-2281 with default firmware will often default to SATA I when connected to an MCP79 SATA controller. This is particularly unfortunate for Macs, as Apple used the MCP79 controller chipset in all of their iMacs, MacBooks and MacBook Pros, from roughly 2008 to late 2009 models.

SanDisk Toolkit has a special version of the firmware for the Mac that disables SATA III and enables SATA II only so that it will work properly with the nVidia MCP79 chipset.

Edit: you can reflash the drive to standard firmware if you move it to a non-MCP79 machine.

Edit 2: OCZ (of all people), SanDisk, and several other vendors offer a Mac-centric fix for this.

Edit 3: Don't expect Intel to do poo poo for this issue with their SandForce controlled SSDs, given all the fighting they've done with nVidia, especially since the MCP79 chipset isn't in production anymore.

Edit 4: Samsung uses their own proprietary MDX controller in the 840 standard and pro, only related in the fact that they don't work right with nVidia MCP79 chipsets either.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 27, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Crossposting from the SSD thread:

Evidently there is a long-standing negotiation issue between SandForce SF-22xx series and nVidia MCP79 controllers. SSDs that use the SF-2281 with default firmware will often default to SATA I when connected to an MCP79 SATA controller. This is particularly unfortunate for Mac laptops, as Apple used the MCP79 controller chipset exclusively in all of their MacBooks and MacBook Pros from roughly 2008 to 2009.

SanDisk Toolkit has a special version of the firmware for the Mac that disables SATA III and enables SATA II only so that it will work properly with the nVidia MCP79 chipset.

Edit: you can reflash the drive to standard firmware if you move it to a non-MCP79 machine.

Edit 2: OCZ (of all people), SanDisk, and several other vendors offer a Mac-centric fix for this.

Edit 3: Don't expect Intel to do poo poo for this issue with their SandForce controlled SSDs, given all the fighting they've done with nVidia, especially since the MCP79 chipset isn't in production anymore.

Edit 4: Samsung uses their own proprietary MDX controller in the 840 standard and pro, this is probably an unrelated issue.

Compatible MCP79 drives should be in the OP.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Compatible MCP79 drives should be in the OP.

I can't do anything to the OP now, since I didn't start this iteration of the thread.

Also, I made changes to my post, especially in the light that Apple used the MCP79 chipset in at least one model of the 2009 iMacs as well!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

I can't do anything to the OP now, since I didn't start this iteration of the thread.

Also, I made changes to my post, especially in the light that Apple used the MCP79 chipset in at least one model of the 2009 iMacs as well!

Ask me about taking my imac apart yesterday and then finding out i only had sata 1 speeds. lol

dont touch the back of the glass!