Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Technowrite posted:

I just got a proper top loader tonight, and I'm having an issue with it. It's not modded, so it only uses RF out. I have only newerish TVs in the house, and none of them work with the system that I know works. Is it because these new TVs don't like an RF signal? Am I going to have to get this thing modded for it to work on my TVs?
I've tried my top loader on my family's HDTV, which has RF on it to my surprise, and it worked fine. It might be either the cable you're using or the connector on the system itself (which you should get modded anyways since the RF modulator they used on the top loaders is cheap and lovely). :confused:

Edit: You also might want to make sure it's not the power cable either since top loaders don't light up when powered on (which is another thing that you can get modded).

Obeast fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Modern TVs vary greatly when it comes to legacy system support. Chances are even with composite the NES might not work on his TV.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

HKR posted:

Modern TVs vary greatly when it comes to legacy system support. Chances are even with composite the NES might not work on his TV.

Composite does work on this TV because I have my non-top loader hooked up to it through composite. I know the system is getting power because the picture on the TV gets grainier when I flip the switch. I'm gonna try and find an old TV to test it with tomorrow to confirm/deny my suspicions.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Came back from Christmas with my family to find my secret Santa gift! Full picture post coming soon. My Santa really went balls-out on this. Some great games in the package, and one legendarily lovely one!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Hamburglar, I'm responding to your long rear end post now.

First the internal SD would be cool instead of using a serial SD adapter, but I don't think I'd use it much anyway because the speed is awful.

I also think for mmmmmmonkey's VGA mod, I might be wrong but he said the picture only seemed off on one of the three screens he used, and he noted other things looked off on that particular screen, so I don't know why he's even testing with it if he knows it's messing up the picture. I have two Samsung LCD's hooked up to my PC right now and I can tell you they're both really temperamental and unpredictable when you're using a VGA connection with them. In fact, the two models are about 3 years apart, and on both, if you attach it with VGA and set it to its native resolution it'll squish the picture and put borders only on the left and top, so I dunno just don't use them for VGA purposes and you'll probably be fine.

As for the headphone jack thing I can only assume people who are using a computer monitor for their DC are probably using PC speakers or built in speakers too. I wouldn't ever make a 3.5mm out, that's stupid (well, you could just get a 3.5mm to RCA cable, but whatever).

Also enjoy your KNS 8400. You'll love them. They're amazing out of a laptop or iPhone, but listen with an amplifier/stereo receiver, your mind will be blown. Pick out a few albums to listen to the whole way too. I promise you you'll hear tons of details you never even knew existed before.

(also holy poo poo I can't wait to see photos of the Satellaview)

e: Our new LG plasma TV also has an RF input. What the gently caress?
e2: Oh yeah I bought myself a Hakko FX888 and a 0.125mm tip today. Gonna see if I can take care of this V-Saturn thing myself or die trying. So what cable do I need to get a backlit SP screen in a AGB-001?

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 27, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ACID POLICE posted:

e: Our new LG plasma TV also has an RF input. What the gently caress?

ota digital

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

The real benefit from having VGA for your Dreamcast is the resolution. It would not make much of a difference on an SD CRT.
What? The Dreamcast can only output at 640x480 anyway, which is, oddly enough, exactly Standard Definition.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
A lot of Dreamcast games that are unable to do VGA natively may be able to do it via the Utopia boot disc anyhow. I think only two games do not work with this method.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Since there might be some interest here, I felt this was worth mentioning. Because of all the hubbub of the Manos: Hands of Fate movie restoration, someone went and actually made a mostly 8-bit iPhone game out of it. And now it's available on PC. (And Manos isn't nearly the only MST3K'd movie it references by a long shot.)

Ballz posted:

Slightly OT, but the lads who made the retro Manos video game for iPad released a port of it for PC, so you can play it with a USB controller. They're working on an Android port for next year.

It's pretty fun, if a bit short. It's also 8-bit platformer hard in the later stages, as it should be.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

OSI bean dip posted:

A lot of Dreamcast games that are unable to do VGA natively may be able to do it via the Utopia boot disc anyhow. I think only two games do not work with this method.

The loving PAL version of Skies of Arcadia, argh.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Midnight Raider posted:

Since there might be some interest here, I felt this was worth mentioning. Because of all the hubbub of the Manos: Hands of Fate movie restoration, someone went and actually made a mostly 8-bit iPhone game out of it. And now it's available on PC. (And Manos isn't nearly the only MST3K'd movie it references by a long shot.)

Is this from the creators of The Great Gatsby "NES" game?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Cicero posted:

What? The Dreamcast can only output at 640x480 anyway, which is, oddly enough, exactly Standard Definition.

SD is 480i.

The DC via VGA is capable of 480p.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cicero posted:

Run an s-video cable to an old CRT computer monitor and it will look "meh". Run the VGA cable and it will look stunning.

Likewise, run an s-video cable to an old CRT TV or run the VGA cable to an old CRT TV and they will both look virtually identical. Slightly better colors is all.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone used video game box protectors? I'm looking at the cart protectors to prevent dust from getting on the contacts. At the moment I use loose plastic ziplock bags but it's extremely ugly and difficult to see the labels.

It says they are for US SNES carts but PAL carts should fit because there is a pic of a SFC cart in one.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Go all out and get Universal Game Cases! Feed your collector lust.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, if you go for ugc, you have to go all the way and get the inserts as well. They are impossible to differentiate from any sort of distance otherwise.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Does anyone have the diagram for soldering in audio breakouts into that $50 SCART-Component transcoder that everyone buys off eBay? I lost the link.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Crimson Harvest posted:

Does anyone have the diagram for soldering in audio breakouts into that $50 SCART-Component transcoder that everyone buys off eBay? I lost the link.

sandpiper posted:

Also there's a guide to soldering this together with an audio cable so you can also get a sound signal, which I followed:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/adding-audio-to-the-cvs287-scart-to-component-converter.157395/

This?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Just a heads up: if anybody has an android device, amazon's free app of the day is ChuChu Rocket.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Xik posted:

Has anyone used video game box protectors? I'm looking at the cart protectors to prevent dust from getting on the contacts. At the moment I use loose plastic ziplock bags but it's extremely ugly and difficult to see the labels.

It says they are for US SNES carts but PAL carts should fit because there is a pic of a SFC cart in one.

They are very high quality, and just the right thickness. Crystal clear. My only complaints are the tabs that close the cases -- a few of the newer protectors (Super Famicom boxes especially) have this odd folding thing that you basically have to push down with the box. The cart ones are good for SNES but of course, PAL/(J) carts will be loose in the box.

They're also not airtight or anything so while they'll generally keep dust out they're not meant for long term storage.

I personally don't use these for carts, but I do for boxes. For carts, I use resealable poly bags (5x6, but you might be able to use 5x5). 5x6 is the standard CD size, which will also fit DS games and (loosely) Famicom and N64. There's some extra space on the sides, but I don't mind it, and you could tape it back if you wanted. I buy these from Uline, but you can probably find packs of ~100 on eBay/Amazon. They are cheap.

I'll post a few pics later tonight.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

Xik posted:

I have two from a purchase at a local game store. They work well for the most part, but I really don't see too much of a purpose for them.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm not sure if this has been discussed earlier, but I'm thinking of picking up one of those Retron 3 consoles to save space in front of the TV. Are they worth it? Thoughts?

Also, what are good reproduction controllers?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

If you start considering repro consoles you might as well hook up a PC and emulate. None of them come close to the originals.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Clones come up every few pages, and the consensus is always the same; they are inferior, and its not as if original consoles are expensive, so why bother?

That said, I own a Retron 3 for novelty alone, and its decent. It plays NES and Genesis games well, if a little inaccurately, but the sound quality for SNES games is garbage. The included controllers are completely useless, but it lets you use originals.

Don't get clone controllers. The build quality is universally lovely.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed earlier, but I'm thinking of picking up one of those Retron 3 consoles to save space in front of the TV. Are they worth it? Thoughts?

Reproduction controllers never come close to the real thing. Just buy used controllers.

Also, a retron 3 is like $50 and you can get an NES and SNES for that off ebay. Space be damned, it's worth having the original consoles as thats what everyone will recognize when they come visit you.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Alternate opinion: The really small ones are good for quick-and-dirty gaming on the go. You can fit the old sandwich-sized Dualstation Retro-X inside of a purse, no lie, and can take your sub-par NES/Genesis on any last-minute trip you need to.

It's not the real thing, but sometimes you just want something you can grab on a second's notice and throw in your car when you need to.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Gammatron 64 posted:

Looking at the Amazon reviews, I'm seeing a lot of "not working" complaints from fairly recently. They might save space, but honestly? I'd either suffer from TV crowding with real hardware, or do console swap-out, than waste $60 on one of these.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Not to sound elitist or snobby, but I don't think anyone makes a "good" reproduction controller. Originals shouldn't be that expensive on Ebay; hell, depending on the console some goon on here might give you a good price from their surplus.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007
Long post ahead.

First and most importantly, Secret Santa came in! Here are some hastily taken photos!

Funnily enough "Air Fortress" was the name of the band that did the music for the first xbox 360 game I put on indie games. I'm going to go ahead and pretend that my Santa knew that since it makes it way more awesome. Now I finally have a copy woohoo!

Holy poo poo, it's The Adventures of Batman and Robin on SNES! I've been looking for this one for a couple years and haven't been able to find it. It's been at the top of my SNES want list for awhile. Thanks Santa, you're completely awesome!

Some hand drawn Snatcher art! Snatcher is my favorite game and this will make an awesome addition to the Snatcher/Policenauts section of the gameroom. Seriously I have way too many versions of both of those games...they deserve their own section at this point.

Once again, thanks to my Santa, those gifts more than exceeded my expectations.

Now onto Dreamcast mod stuff.

VGA. It's an easy mod...use a thicker gauge wire than I did for Zen's else the wires tend to break during shipping. I found that I had to add some solder to the points under the motherboard. The regular AV out port will still work fine. The reason people aren't using RCA jacks for the audio is that the system is so cramped inside that there simply isn't any room for them. Not to say that it can't be done, it's just very cramped in there.

On my Samsung monitor the image was shifted. On my Panasonic plasma the image was centered. Seems to be an issue with the Samsung monitors...I have no idea why.

SD. Easy if you're decent at soldering. The contact points on the serial port are a little small, but nothing compared to say a SNES digital mod. Seems to be far more suited to loading homebrew than dreamcast ISOs due to the slowish read speed.

DC cases are not fun to work with. The plastic is thick and a pain to cut. Sanding takes forever because of the thickness as well. I think the ideal way to do it would be to take advantage of the useless modem. Gut the modem and use that casing to house the PCBs and jacks.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Point taken, but the other thing is, while me SNES and Genesis still work great, my NES has been on its last legs for years. The thing pretty much doesn't work without the alcohol on a q-tip \ blowing on it method, and it might play for about an hour before glitching, if even. I've been hesitant to buy a used NES, because how do I know it won't work for 30 minutes then start glitching out?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The NES is a pretty simple device, relatively speaking, and its only real issue is a bad cart connector design. It's extremely easy to get a replacement connector and replace it, though, and there's a simple way to disable the lockout chip to improve game stability as well. I've never heard of an NES failing in a way it couldn't be easily repaired without something specifically happening to it (electrical surcharge, fire etc.).

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Probably just echoing everyone here but yes:

No real reason to buy the third-party consoles. They're not bad most of the time but the original consoles are better (and not much more expensive).

Third party controllers are bad. Very bad. Unless you're buying something made from Hori, Ascii, or Hudson it's probably bad. Newer controllers are especially terrible. It's mostly the dpad (or joystick).

You won't have NES issues if you replace your pin connector and clean your games (you only really need to do it once). If you are experiencing 'glitching' after a long duration of playing, it's an electrical issue. Check if anything is overheating (especially the power adapter).

In short, you should buy the original hardware. Your old NES is probably 'on it's last legs' because it hasn't been cleaned or repaired for 25 years. Spend the $5 and take the 5 minutes to replace the connector.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Keyboard Kid posted:

In short, you should buy the original hardware. Your old NES is probably 'on it's last legs' because it hasn't been cleaned or repaired for 25 years. Spend the $5 and take the 5 minutes to replace the connector.

...The power adapter. Ah. You know, the original power adapter on mine is long gone. The wire frayed until it wasn't usable anymore. Where it is now, no one knows. So I got a 3rd party adapter afterwards that can be used on multiple consoles.

That might be my problem right there.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Gammatron 64 posted:

...The power adapter. Ah. You know, the original power adapter on mine is long gone. The wire frayed until it wasn't usable anymore. Where it is now, no one knows. So I got a 3rd party adapter afterwards that can be used on multiple consoles.

That might be my problem right there.

Well, now that you've seen the error of your ways it's a relatively simple fix. If that doesn't solve it replace the 72 pin.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Welp, I went ahead and cut pin 4 on the lockout chip and cleaned the 72-pin connector, but when I try to slide it back on it makes a horrible crinkling noise and I'm a little scared to force it.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it on.

The pins did look pretty corroded where the cart connects and surprisingly there didn't seem to be much dirt, so I might have to get a replacement.

EDIT 2: loving piece of poo poo. I can get Mega Man 6 to load on a rare occasion, all others simply give me a usually brown \ orange screen. Sometimes other colors. Tightening \ loosening screws on the case seem to effect how well the toaster clicks into place. Have it too tight and it won't stay down.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 28, 2012

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Well just now I installed the audio cable mod on my SCART transcoder. The insides of mine are a little different from the pictures in the guide. There's a little plastic bit that sticks out from the SCART port backside at both ends, making me awkwardly solder left-handed to avoid getting plastic in the solder.

It was a pretty rough job solder-wise but it works and I'm satisfied. Next, after the SD2SNES, is a quality SCART switch seeing as I have 3 sources now.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Once again, time spent in the shower brings strange ideas. I've had some ideas for building various cabs, which are going to cost me a shitload even if I build them myself, but will be amazing fun if I can pull them off. I got to thinking about how I wanted an Astro City Versus. Searching around bought up these guys. CNC cut, IKEA style slap together. But what about a four player version? While in the shower I remembered reading on a forum he regularly visits, that the guy who makes them is a really nice guy, and can change around various things as requested. So why not a twin back to back version? This gives four player gaming fun, and I can have P1, P3, P2, P4 setup, so when friends are around for two player action, we're not elbowing each other. And then another thought popped in my head...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vjj8bs5Mc
I use this as my ringtone, and since I'll be MAME-ing these cabinets, why not have that as my startup sound? With a twist. I'd love to replace the 'Fatal Fury 2' with 'Viewlix Versus Twin'. After some practice, I think I've got it down pat. Needs some extra filtering work, but I'm close. I can't wait to build the cab now, just to hear it scream that on start up. :v:

Other crazy :retrogames: ideas include:
A giant Pacman shaped sit down, where you open his mouth to reveal the screen and controls. Still working on how to keep the mouth open when playing, that isn't going to fall down and break your wrists.

A fully enclosed sit down dedicated driver cab, with G27, two racing seats, and closeable swing out [possibly gullwing] doors, with paint inspired by early 70's / 80's custom paint jobs [stripes, pinstripes, bold bright colours, flames, splashes, scalloping].

Dedicated shooter complete with twin foot pedals [believe I have the rough design worked out, just needs some refinement / testing] and a pair of
these babies
. I can even go so far as to get second hand NAMCO guns from Time Crisis etc cabs and wire them with Aimtrak, for that awesome recoil feel.

ArcadeWorx also make loving pinball shells for HyperPin. Since I enjoy the real thing more than HyperPin, then why not build my own? Between the various parts available all over Ebay, a vinyl sign writer ten minutes away, and the ideas flowing through my head, I figure I can pull this off. The hardest part will be programming the DMD, which I have no idea how to do, but the rest oughta be fun and I can always make it a 70's style with a translite, old rollover scorers and no DMD. :)

Thanks to an arcade forum I visit, I have 355mb of plans, marquees, logos, and cp overlays all ready to print, so 90% of the hardwork is done for the driver cab. It just needs to be extended to suit my plans. As for the rest... :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

H1KE fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 28, 2012

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

H1KE posted:

A giant Pacman shaped sit down, where you open his mouth to reveal the screen and controls. Still working on how to keep the mouth open when playing, that isn't going to fall down and break your wrists.

Think bigger -- you sit INSIDE the Pacman, it closes around you for extra immersion.

Innominatus
May 19, 2004

And we can rust the whole world...

Gammatron 64 posted:

The pins did look pretty corroded where the cart connects and surprisingly there didn't seem to be much dirt, so I might have to get a replacement.

EDIT 2: loving piece of poo poo. I can get Mega Man 6 to load on a rare occasion, all others simply give me a usually brown \ orange screen. Sometimes other colors. Tightening \ loosening screws on the case seem to effect how well the toaster clicks into place. Have it too tight and it won't stay down.
-

Innominatus fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 4, 2013

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

H1KE posted:

h_double posted:

Think bigger -- you sit INSIDE the Pacman, it closes around you for extra immersion.

The greatest retro gaming-related obituary just waiting to happen. And I'd buy a copy of the newspaper for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon

I owned a massive MAME cab for years and after hauling it around each move I finally had to ditch it when the doors in my place were too small to bring it in. It even split into two pieces and was still too big. We spent forever trying to twist and contort and "Maybe through the balcony?" and no, it wasn't happening. I was bummed to see it go, but I had no choice.

After some time I got the old arcade itch and started digging around for ideas of how I could build a much smaller cab. I ended up building a small but powerful HTPC and hooked it up to my TV, fits in with the other electronics under the TV, very unassuming (Steam Big Picture mode is a huge added bonus now). And I ordered some fight sticks. All Sanwa parts, the good poo poo, with 15 ft long USB cables that store away in a little compartment on the side of the stick.

It has been nearly 3 years now and I am super happy with this setup. It easily adjusts from 1p - 4p (just plug in however many you need), everyone can sit (or stand if you are TRUE) wherever they want, not all scrunched around a massive box fighting for elbow room. And cost comes down to pretty much how much you want to spend on sticks (excluding PC part cost as they would be necessary anyway with the cab). Even cheaper if you want to build the sticks yourself.

Having a full sized cab is loving rad, no doubt, but I wouldn't trade this setup unless I had a massive basement for a real arcade or something. The space versus functionality is just too good. Good luck!

• Locked thread