Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

This is, admittedly, one of the issues with meeting the other Masters early on, campaign-wise. Chances are, he hasn't tech'd up to Tier 4 in order to get the Raise Vampire spell, but rather found a scroll and pop'd it as soon as his Mage had a Tier 4 slot open. I do like that the enemy Masters follow the same rules you do, but sometimes this means that they get unbeatable boosts from doing locations and netting good scrolls or artifacts.

Bottom line is, until you get enough Tier 2 buildings from winning Shards, try to be quick about finishing battles. Don't turtle up, or the AI will likely get larger territories, more Heroes, and then just grind you down.

As to heroes clearing guards with ease, this just means that you've established the point at which that given guard stops being effective, turn-wise (roughly, can vary from Shard to Shard). I recommend checking if you have access to better guards right now from your main city, if not make it a priority to claim guard-granting buildings in the over-world map.

And on that note, try for Shards in order of size, Tiny first then Small, etc... Tiny Shards tend to not have Masters fighting over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

This is, admittedly, one of the issues with meeting the other Masters early on, campaign-wise. Chances are, he hasn't tech'd up to Tier 4 in order to get the Raise Vampire spell, but rather found a scroll and pop'd it as soon as his Mage had a Tier 4 slot open. I do like that the enemy Masters follow the same rules you do, but sometimes this means that they get unbeatable boosts from doing locations and netting good scrolls or artifacts.

Bottom line is, until you get enough Tier 2 buildings from winning Shards, try to be quick about finishing battles. Don't turtle up, or the AI will likely get larger territories, more Heroes, and then just grind you down.

As to heroes clearing guards with ease, this just means that you've established the point at which that given guard stops being effective, turn-wise (roughly, can vary from Shard to Shard). I recommend checking if you have access to better guards right now from your main city, if not make it a priority to claim guard-granting buildings in the over-world map.

And on that note, try for Shards in order of size, Tiny first then Small, etc... Tiny Shards tend to not have Masters fighting over them.

Ah, didn't think of that scroll. Yeah, guards are a real issue - this necromancer dude puts the 'two horsemen, a horse archer, 3 archers, and a bunch of pikemen/peasants' guard on EVERY SINGLE TERRITORY he owns, and will guard up the instant he gains a new one - it's like he's made of money.. My non-contract guards can't stop his heroes from attacking, but while I can win vs him, all of the elves (my horsemen die too quickly, so my elves are my only real winning unit here) get picked down by the archers before my scout or warrior can finish the deadly units off.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Restart the Shard, and try with a different strategy, in particular with regards to army composition. If the shard hasn't vanished, then pretty much EVERYTHING about it will be the same on the second try, so you can rush the enemy's main province as soon as you have a Hero ready with a half-decent army and kit.

Again, for most of the early shards, ESPECIALLY once Masters show up, turtling will probably result in a loss. You need to be aggressive and level your main hero through conquest rather than through exploration grinding. Masters seem to have a slight tech advantage, often tailored to their individual personalities. This tech advantage is most evident in the guards they will deploy, but they will still take some time to get the guard tech they like. Rush them early, kill the first Hero and you should get an insta-win siege going.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

Restart the Shard, and try with a different strategy, in particular with regards to army composition. If the shard hasn't vanished, then pretty much EVERYTHING about it will be the same on the second try, so you can rush the enemy's main province as soon as you have a Hero ready with a half-decent army and kit.

Again, for most of the early shards, ESPECIALLY once Masters show up, turtling will probably result in a loss. You need to be aggressive and level your main hero through conquest rather than through exploration grinding. Masters seem to have a slight tech advantage, often tailored to their individual personalities. This tech advantage is most evident in the guards they will deploy, but they will still take some time to get the guard tech they like. Rush them early, kill the first Hero and you should get an insta-win siege going.

You can restart a shard? How? I only know how to go back one turn. I eventually won anyway despite my turtling by saving up thousands of gold and bribing my way straight to his capital and seiging it while my warrior held off his heroes. That was.. a close one.

Changing up my army composition is pretty hard - since I'm good aligned, I pretty much have the choice between swordsman, the first strike guy I forget the name of, and crossbowmen for normal units. I'm lucky I'll get elves, who almost never spawn, but usually I have to settle for halflings as far as alliances go. (the dwarf axe quest I've never managed to finish)

Man, my selection of new shards is pretty lame. Some evil units, some tier 2 shops (blah), and a whole lot of old tiny shards for useless little building upgrades like thieves guild. Really hoping I get some t2 magic soon.

Speaking of which, anyone know if spending energy on starting resources is ever worth it? You get a pittance, like 20-30 per map, yet at a 1:1 ratio for gold, a 3:1 ratio for gems, and a 25:1 ratio for gold income it seems ludicrously expensive.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 27, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Does this game have multiplayer? Or wil lthe steam version have multiplayer?

Re: the steam remake

Is it already approved for steam greenlight and now we're just waiting for it to get finished?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 27, 2012

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Wolpertinger posted:

You can restart a shard? How?

The "Return to the Astral" option in the "Step into the past" menu. The shard shouldn't vanish, and the only penalty you take is a one point hit to your essence income. Honestly, most of the stuff you can get with essence (to answer one of your other questions) is simply not worth it. For example, having a Forge ready-built in your demesne costs something like 100 essence PER shard, which is loving stupid when you remember that the forge costs 90 gold even if you don't have a source of iron.

So treat your essence income as a soft-reset pool you can dip into now and again, and your actual essence as a resource for conversation based prompts (I've had two, one that let me sacrifice up to three essence income for various permanent (?) shard bonuses, and one which was giving that imp a salary), though so far conversation prompts have only consumed income, rather then actual essence.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

WYA posted:

Does this game have multiplayer?

Yes, several kinds including hot-seat.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

The "Return to the Astral" option in the "Step into the past" menu. The shard shouldn't vanish, and the only penalty you take is a one point hit to your essence income. Honestly, most of the stuff you can get with essence (to answer one of your other questions) is simply not worth it. For example, having a Forge ready-built in your demesne costs something like 100 essence PER shard, which is loving stupid when you remember that the forge costs 90 gold even if you don't have a source of iron.

So treat your essence income as a soft-reset pool you can dip into now and again, and your actual essence as a resource for conversation based prompts (I've had two, one that let me sacrifice up to three essence income for various permanent (?) shard bonuses, and one which was giving that imp a salary), though so far conversation prompts have only consumed income, rather then actual essence.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Yes, several kinds including hot-seat.

Wow, I wish I had known that before, for some reason I thought it was just another way of surrendering, possibly for score reasons or some poo poo.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It turns out tier 2 units are really good. Like, when you have a hero with pathfinding, cavalry becomes a bonkers good way to go. I got a commander/scout dual-class going on where i just run 10 horse archers and go to town because they do ridiculous damage and can threat literally anywhere with no problem.

Also, while elves are quite good, they seem to stilt my growth, I still believe the lizardman alliance is probably the best in the early game just for the solid and cheap t1 unit, as the better t1 units are both slow and super-expensive.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 27, 2012

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Panzeh posted:

It turns out tier 2 units are really good. Like, when you have a hero with pathfinding, cavalry becomes a bonkers good way to go. I got a commander/scout dual-class going on where i just run 10 horse archers and go to town because they do ridiculous damage and can threat literally anywhere with no problem.

Also, while elves are quite good, they seem to stilt my growth, I still believe the lizardman alliance is probably the best in the early game just for the solid and cheap t1 unit, as the better t1 units are both slow and super-expensive.

Huh, my experience with horsemen, even on my scout, ended up being kinda blah - then again, I only had 2-3 at a time - they could charge in and kill one big unit but then got swarmed. 10 could probably avoid that. I didn't have any horse archers either, though. I ended up winning by having both heroes carry around 10+ elves each, most with double shot. Every battle was just an endless hail of arrows, with my warrior AND scout.

Halflings seem like they could be decent as a super cheap spammy ranged unit, because so many elves had me at literally -50 to -150 for a large portion of the game. I funded myself by essentially strip-mining explored areas for loot - when one army was off attacking the other was mass-slaughtering every location he could find - I nearly game overed when I ran out of areas and one of my heroes got killed, heh.

Someone mentioned earlier that when you start getting regular inquisition invasions from that stupid event, that there is a 'headquarters' you can destroy - do we have to actively /search/ for it? Because once I told them off and knew they would be coming, I destroyed the only inquisition place I could find in all my provinces, and they've come a good 4-5 times in the last 25~ turns.

edit : Arrrrrgh stop giving me shops! I'm getting tier 3 shops and I haven't even gotten one tier 2 spell, dammit!

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 27, 2012

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Beat another shard and met Oiner (is that his name?). I find I either steam roll the AI or it steam rolls me. Not any kind of happy medium. Maybe I'm just getting better? I don't know, but either way, this game is a lot of fun and I'm having a blast, especially since I know I'm BARELY scratching the surface!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I was having a problem with mouse lag, the cpu throttling solution didn't work.

What did work was disabling mouse acceleration from the control panel. It's working fine now, even without cpu throttling

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm reliably winning now on Skilled, woo. I'm still using way too many reversions though, and taking way too many turns. I am incapable of rushing fast enough through all the lethal independents to reach a Master before he starts mass-producing Mercenary guards or whatever the horsemen/horse archers guard is - those take at least a level 15 hero and a full army filled with T2s to have a chance at reliably beating.

I've got to re-evaluate my opinions on commanders, though. Commanders have an incredibly weak start, but a commander that's gotten a little high and is kitted out with guardsmen and bishops and crossbows is the auto-fight king - he can win 95% of fights, even the toughest ones, even vs other heroes, on autofight, without losing any soldiers. That's more than an archer/mage/warrior can say, as they tend to require more careful positioning than autobattle likes. The problem is that slow start can have you fall seriously behind if you're unlucky with independents (I spent like 4 reversions dying to stupid poo poo like the militia and brigandsd guarding free provinces in the 1-5s). In the end, though.. good lord they get strong when you have level 5 in each army buff and a shitton of already near-invincible Guardsmen. Once you get a hero that can autofight every time, winning becomes quick.

And all this work was for a tiny shard that gave some tiny building upgrades. :psyduck:. This game is too addictive considering how ridiculously time-consuming the campaign is.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 27, 2012

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Megazver posted:

I think beta sign-up for MOTBW is still active, so you guys might want to sign up:

http://www.snowbirdgames.com/forum/index.php?threads/beta-sign-up.64/

I already got in. It's pretty cool. :)

Quoting this for the new page because they're still letting people into the beta.

edit: They're letting people in right now. I got an invite and reply within 5 minutes.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 27, 2012

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Gyoru posted:

Quoting this for the new page because they're still letting people into the beta.

Someone got in? Dammit. I haven't gotten an invite yet.

Edit: You got an invite within five minutes? I signed up on monday! Where'd you get the invite - in your email?

re-edit: I just got accepted literally seconds ago, hah.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 27, 2012

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

Archmage - honestly, it seems like some of the multiclass options are too weak compared to the very powerful sticking with the main class. Pure scout can fire two arrows, which is godly, pure mage can cast two spells, which is godly - apparently warrior is the exception, and 'holy knight' is actually the best for him (warrior/commander) - with powerful self healing to keep on massacring everything solo

I disagree. As the Dark Knight class (warrior/wizard) you get a lifesteal that gives you 3 hp every time you kill a unit. A decent Dark Knight can wipe provinces clean of guards solo, and is very hard to kill in combat.

Also, has anyone played all the way through? I haven't hit anything harder than a 'medium' shard, though I just killed Oinor. This was significantly easier than the surrounding shards, weirdly enough. Thinking about murdering the fairy lady. She seems nice.

I'm revising my opinion on various heroes. It seems scouts are incredible versus wizards, but die versus warriors and commanders lategame. A doubleshot scout can just kill a wizard before he gets the chance to lay down too much magic, but a wizard can use his massive spell repertoire to prevent a warrior from reaching him while butchering his army.

I've only lost one shard so far (on skilled), and it seems that warriors are very much the best units on tiny/small shards, followed closely by scouts. Once you hit T2 units and spells, wizards and commanders really come into their own.

Wizards and commanders both suffer from the fact that they're very resource intensive. A well-levelled warrior or scout can eat just about anything, but commanders without a big gold income, or wizards without a lot of gems just die.

Advice for anyone starting out - scouts and warriors on those tiny shards. There aren't enough units or spells for wizards and commanders to be of a huge amount of use, and they require more levels than the other guys do.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

I'm reliably winning now on Skilled, woo. I'm still using way too many reversions though, and taking way too many turns. I am incapable of rushing fast enough through all the lethal independents to reach a Master before he starts mass-producing Mercenary guards or whatever the horsemen/horse archers guard is - those take at least a level 15 hero and a full army filled with T2s to have a chance at reliably beating.

I've got to re-evaluate my opinions on commanders, though. Commanders have an incredibly weak start, but a commander that's gotten a little high and is kitted out with guardsmen and bishops and crossbows is the auto-fight king - he can win 95% of fights, even the toughest ones, even vs other heroes, on autofight, without losing any soldiers. That's more than an archer/mage/warrior can say, as they tend to require more careful positioning than autobattle likes. The problem is that slow start can have you fall seriously behind if you're unlucky with independents (I spent like 4 reversions dying to stupid poo poo like the militia and brigandsd guarding free provinces in the 1-5s). In the end, though.. good lord they get strong when you have level 5 in each army buff and a shitton of already near-invincible Guardsmen. Once you get a hero that can autofight every time, winning becomes quick.

And all this work was for a tiny shard that gave some tiny building upgrades. :psyduck:. This game is too addictive considering how ridiculously time-consuming the campaign is.

I always start with a commander, and I don't think its that weak (possibly I am terrible with the other three types). First four turns are spent exploring while I build archers and the magic building that has magic missile. With four archers and 3 magic missile casts, you can beat almost any of the early "villager" (militia, etc), undead, barbarian and brigand groups. Lizards you can mostly beat as well, halfling / dwarf not so much until you get more archers and the commander range damage upgrades.

Once you are doing +2 ranged damage, which can happen as early as level 3, and you have six or so archers, you can kill a lot.

One thing I don't like is that the level 10 commander path that gives extra ranged damage doesn't have the rest of the ranged skill tree, so you can never get the +1 range.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

victrix posted:

The strategic level is quite similar to Total War, in terms of developing your provinces - the combat is completely different. Instead of an RTS, it's a turn based hex grid tactical combat affair.

If you've played something like that and you like it/don't mind it (preferably like, there's a lot of combat in this game), give it a shot.

This is without a doubt one of the best TBS games I've played in a long time. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and find something I hate, but it hasn't happened. And the AI beat me, repeatedly, on a low difficulty setting, which is a plus in my book :v:

Also if you've never played HoMM, get your rear end over to gog.com and buy Heroes 2 and 3. If you really can't stomach the old art (I still wouldn't pass up H3 for that, it's so drat good), you could try Heroes 5 or the recent King's Bounty remake, which have a similar experience.

Awesome. I dig the Total War series for it's strategic gameplay, the actual battles were very meh to me and I would probably auto-resolve them all if I didn't get such a better result from playing them out myself.

I've never given HoMM a second glance when seeing it around, but if it's as loved as everyone indicates and has cool strategy gameplay then I'll get on it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just a heads-up: while it is possible to plunder a province until the resident race is extinct and you can then repopulate with glorious homo sapiens, there's a crash bug associated with it. It's still not fixed.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

occipitallobe posted:

I disagree. As the Dark Knight class (warrior/wizard) you get a lifesteal that gives you 3 hp every time you kill a unit. A decent Dark Knight can wipe provinces clean of guards solo, and is very hard to kill in combat.

Also, has anyone played all the way through? I haven't hit anything harder than a 'medium' shard, though I just killed Oinor. This was significantly easier than the surrounding shards, weirdly enough. Thinking about murdering the fairy lady. She seems nice.

At level 20, Holy Knight gets the ability to essentially self-resurrect once per battle - so you need to kill them /twice/ - it's kind of ridiculous. And level 3 in all the nice juicy commander talents ain't too shabby, either! I can see lifesteal being good too though, especially with improved spellcasting. Well, if I actually had spells worth improfving.

You haven't seen anything larger than a medium? I've only seen Oinor, necromancer/sorceror dude, and JUST talked to barbarian dude for the first time, and there are already two large shards floating on my map (of course, these are the first ones to offer tier 2 spell schools.. this is going to be one hell of a fight.) I haven't even had the option to kill anyone yet, just had the imp laugh at me for the suggestion.

I'm downloading the beta now, I'm kind of bummed that I'm going to lose what little progress I fought for, tooth and nail - 10 shards is a lot of games and a lot of time! I take 250+ turns per game and it's all very slow.

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001
Huh, just killed Doh-Gor and opted not to take his amulet, anyone know what happens if you do?

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Haven't levelled a holy knight to 20 yet, so maybe they start outclassing the dark knights heavily then. I suspect it's also a matter of where you are. My dark knight was able to summon undead and heal himself, making him spectacular at cleaning up an endless number of guards. His abilities were very heavily geared to taking out lots of guys, but against another powerful warrior he probably would've lost.

More importantly, fatigue is a spectacular and interesting mechanic. I didn't realise how clever fatigue was until I fought a battle with barbarian dude's absurdly levelled warrior, classed to a slayer. He personally took out three of my guards and a fort without breaking a sweat.

He carves a swath through my entire kingdom by himself until he and my main wizard hero both reach my castle at the same time. If he wins, it's over. It's all over. Well, my chances of picking up some mostly irrelevant buildings, anyway.

My wizard is a necromancer with an assload of bandits I just bought, and every time that slayer-knight rear end in a top hat hits one, they die. Every time. However, my hero is loaded up on undead and summoning spells. Each round I summon a unit, each round he kills one. This goes on for quite some time, and I figure he's going to win this as I run out spells, but he won't run out of attacks.

All of a sudden though, my zombies who were doing 0 damage start doing 8 or 9.

I check the slayer. He's out of fatigue. He can rest and recover, but every time my zombies hit him he loses more. My wizard has burnt all his spells, but still has six zombies on the field. In a matter of rounds, they tear through his armor and murder him.

tl;dr, mighty barbarian hero is worn down by the tireless undead.

toasterwarrior posted:

Just a heads-up: while it is possible to plunder a province until the resident race is extinct and you can then repopulate with glorious homo sapiens, there's a crash bug associated with it. It's still not fixed.

http://www.gog.com/forum/eador_genesis/eador_genesis_hotfix_is_up_and_ready_for_download/post23

Copy-pasting the text here into your dialog file will fix the crash.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

Does anyone know why russia of all places has such an infatuation with fantasy TBS games like this? It's not lieke that i am complaining as the russian HoMM3 modding community have created some fantastic things such as the HD patch. I'd just be interested to know if there was some reason that a country would take such a specific interest in a primarily single player genre

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nice. Time to make sure these whiny centaur fucks never get the chance to revolt ever again.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How are you guys getting a second class to choose from after the level 10 choice? I had a level 22 scout and I only got to choose Archer at level 10. AM I just not far enough along in the Campaign to open it up?

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Jastiger posted:

How are you guys getting a second class to choose from after the level 10 choice? I had a level 22 scout and I only got to choose Archer at level 10. AM I just not far enough along in the Campaign to open it up?

Whatever class you picked at level 10 (either stay in your main class, or dual-class) gets upgraded at level 20 to a better version. Pure mages become archmages, gaining the ability to cast twice per turn. The warrior-commander dual class gets upgraded to the holy knight at level 20, gaining self-resurrection once per battle.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 27, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So how do you use your Commanders, if you do use them? I start the game with a Scout, using him to explore provinces and eventually to kill tougher monsters as an Archer; meanwhile, I level up a Commander and his army using revealed lairs and expand into new territory.

What I'm not sure about is how to multi-class him: the +2 ranged attack and +1 initiative is nice for Commander-Scouts, and the Mobility skill line is insanely useful once you get your slow units a speed boost. However, I didn't realize that the Scout skills that give you bonuses to shooting abilities don't carry over to your army units, so I was wondering if people have tried other combinations that can be just as effective.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Holy poo poo this game is the Age of Wonders 3 I've always wanted

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

OrangéJéllo posted:

Huh, just killed Doh-Gor and opted not to take his amulet, anyone know what happens if you do?

You can talk to Beleth to find out what it is for 100 energy, and free the god of war, who was imprisoned in the amulet. He's a jackass who doesn't give you anything. That being said, he does want to fight against Chaos, so it's probably got repercussions down the road.

toasterwarrior posted:

So how do you use your Commanders, if you do use them? I start the game with a Scout, using him to explore provinces and eventually to kill tougher monsters as an Archer; meanwhile, I level up a Commander and his army using revealed lairs and expand into new territory.

I usually go straight Commander skill-line. I've started grabbing a Commander on Large maps first thing. If you can find a decent Banner, your T1 troops end up being superior to your enemy's T2 troops on a pretty regular basis.

I grab as much defensive gear as I can, and add a lot of spells, usually undead-raising or defensive/offensive buffs. The T1 armour spell with the Commander's defense buff let one of my orcs beat a thug pretty handily. I still can't make them compete effectively against warriors though, and the AI loves them.

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 27, 2012

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Harvs posted:

Does anyone know why russia of all places has such an infatuation with fantasy TBS games like this? It's not lieke that i am complaining as the russian HoMM3 modding community have created some fantastic things such as the HD patch. I'd just be interested to know if there was some reason that a country would take such a specific interest in a primarily single player genre

HD patch?! Link! And what other cool mods have they made?

As for their infatuation, I don't know, but I'm very happy about it. Since the death of NWC and JvC moving on to other genres and companies, there hasn't really been any western company working on anything remotely HoMM like.

I do miss the sense of whimsy that their games had, while King's Bounty is relatively light hearted, in general the eastern euros prefer very, very grim fantasy, which can be a little tiring.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

enigma74 posted:

Whatever class you picked at level 10 (either stay in your main class, or dual-class) gets upgraded at level 20 to a better version. Pure mages become archmages, gaining the ability to cast twice per turn. The warrior-commander dual class gets upgraded to the holy knight at level 20, gaining self-resurrection once per battle.

Oh. My Scout was level 22. What ability did he pick up? It was hard to tell since he one shot everything but dragons since I got a Mega Bow of rear end Kicking early on.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So, trying out the beta - there are some additions which I've heard nobody mention that were immediately visible - namely, there 'themes' to each shard now beyond 'hilly' 'forested' 'plains' (which often end up pretty similar anyway) I just saw a 'rust shard' where equipment breaks at double the rate and defense is less effective, and selected a 'crystal shard' where the ground is hard and infertile and gold production is halved, but gem production is doubled - the shard itself is visibly different, with giant crystals everywhere, a sort of barren cracked dry ground, constant lightning storms, and the trees are thin, scraggly, leafless and twisted. More interesting shards like this are a definite plus - in the original all the shards are very same-old same-old.

Jastiger posted:

Oh. My Scout was level 22. What ability did he pick up? It was hard to tell since he one shot everything but dragons since I got a Mega Bow of rear end Kicking early on.

At 10 pure class scouts gain the ability to doubleshot for 5 stamina per doubleshot - at 20 it only costs 1 stamina. (so it's free)

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 27, 2012

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Quake posted:

There's actually a much more easier way to do this without loving with power settings. Just go to Task Manager and right click the Eador process -> Set Affinity -> Uncheck all CPUs except 0 and 1.

There must be some setting I'm missing because I always get access denied when I try this. I can fiddle with other processes just fine

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thank you for clearing that up, wolper. You've also sold me on the beta, though I am loathe to be distracted from my current genesis campaign.

Any one else having alignment issues? I was known as the terrible or something like that even though I only used xbowmen and swords men and absolutely NO chaos magic. I had those spells equipped but never used.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Thank you for clearing that up, wolper. You've also sold me on the beta, though I am loathe to be distracted from my current genesis campaign.

Any one else having alignment issues? I was known as the terrible or something like that even though I only used xbowmen and swords men and absolutely NO chaos magic. I had those spells equipped but never used.

The beta is a very real beta and hasn't been optimized or all that yet, sound effects aren't in yet (only music) and it's a bit slow and choppy and buggy - genesis is more complete and playable at the moment, but the beta is definitely worth cracking open just to see how it looks. Some of the new art is very nice looking - I really like the new UI, and the shards themselves actually look like shards floating in the cosmos rather than just land that arbitrarily ends with a black border.

As far as I can tell, alignment is raised/lowered by casting healing spells or chaos/necromancy spells, choices in events, which guards you use (bandit/thief guards probably count as evil), good/evil rituals, possibly some buildings (Dark Tower), and using any even slightly evil unit (barbarians, shamans). I wouldn't have guessed that even just having evil spells equipped would drain your alignment that much - it sounds strange. Are you sure you haven't done anything else that's evil? iirc Terrible is pretty evil. Also, have you ever used autofight with that character? He may be doing some necromancy/chaos magic behind your back.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 28, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Plundering also lowers your alignment, natch. Thus, as far as I know, you can only deal with different races through local province improvements that raise happiness. I only wish that it was a bit more obvious how much of a natural penalty each race has in terms of happiness: halflings seem like they're just like humans, but I once had a dwarf province settle at content without a pub even though dwarves are supposed to be naturally surly or something.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

victrix posted:

HD patch?! Link! And what other cool mods have they made?

As for their infatuation, I don't know, but I'm very happy about it. Since the death of NWC and JvC moving on to other genres and companies, there hasn't really been any western company working on anything remotely HoMM like.

I do miss the sense of whimsy that their games had, while King's Bounty is relatively light hearted, in general the eastern euros prefer very, very grim fantasy, which can be a little tiring.

I don't want to derail the thread and i remember we used to have a really good HoMM thread a while back and i dunno what happened to it, but as you asked

https://sites.google.com/site/heroes3hd/

It's not a graphics update or anything but it allows you to play in all current resolutions and has a ton of ease of use improvements such as being able to transfer the final stack of units off a hero and automatically leave one behind all in one click.

As for other mods, i'm fairly certain the russian community were behind the Wake of Gods mod which adds a ton of new stuff to the map editor, over 2000 objects if i remember correctly and tournament edition which attempted to fix a lot of the more broken spells, skills and armies while giving a buff to the more under used ones

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

About 10 shards in, still the best stuff anyone can build is tier 2.

edit: "This unit cannot be disbanded". Fair enough.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Awesome, found an Eador thread! Time to hold a festival in the province (-100 gold)!

I love the rough charm of this game. It makes it feel like it was made by actual people and not come faceless corporation. And it's so Russian :allears: I love the evil options. Plague? Sell the fresh corpses to necromancers, yay income!

Where did you find that dragon contract, Big Sean? It's awesome. Even if it's a level 1 dragon you just plonk it down in a province and nothing except a specialized dragon-slaying army will even move it.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 28, 2012

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Awesome, found an Eador thread! Time to hold a festival in the province (-100 gold)!

I love the rouch charm of this game. It makes it feel like it was made by actual people and not come faceless corporation. And it's so Russian :allears: I love the evil options. Plague? Sell the fresh corpses to necromancers, yay income!

Where did you find that dragon contract, Big Sean? It's awesome. Even if it's a level 1 dragon you just plonk it down in a province and nothing except a specialized dragon-slaying army will even move it.

You can find ultra-high tier contracts from independents - I found a Phoenix contract, apparently written by the God of Fire and with some obscene upkeep cost. I've also gotten multiple Monster Mage contracts, which are mages paired with hydras, giant spiders, basilisks, etc that are pretty much unkillable early on, and aren't impossible to pay for like phoenixes, hah.

If the dragon can't be disbanded, I'm betting it's one of those guards that have a downside, like -50% income or unhappy population as it terrorizes the countryside.

Just got my first tier 2 spells! On the very shard that would have unlocked tier 2 elemental spells, I got the very same building unlocked by finding the plans in an independent fight. Finally, at last, I can make a non-necromancer/chaos mage that doesn't suck! Spamming rain of stones and summon gargoyle is just awesome :)

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I know how I can get high-level contracts (I got awesome golems from the cult of the Ancients - 15 protection and an attack that damages weapon. Times seven. And they have the magic immunity too :syoon:), I was interested specifically about the dragon.

BTW, the dragon drops gold/gem income by 50%.

And how could I forget, finally a game that shows some magical knowledge. All the fluff how the astral plane works, and the little bits like marble being used for magical isolation make me go :3:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 28, 2012

• Locked thread