Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, I just did it. I defeated the wormy jerk inside the beached tree and therefore ended the prologue to the True Demon's Souls. What an awesome game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Congrats. What'd you think of the False King? On NG+ its one of the hardest fights in the series IMO.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Well, I just did it. I defeated the wormy jerk inside the beached tree and therefore ended the prologue to the True Demon's Souls. What an awesome game.

Congratulations!

So which ending did you take?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Azran posted:

Congratulations!

So which ending did you take?

I murdered the Maiden in Black.

voltron lion force posted:

Congrats. What'd you think of the False King? On NG+ its one of the hardest fights in the series IMO.

I cheesed it a little bit in that I got a tip off that Warding makes it pretty easy so I can't actually say. I did have fun fighting him, even if I got him on my first try because of that spell(and his relatively easy to dodge charge attack), and it was interesting to see what I assume is the origin of the Artorias/Gwyn/Manus formula of a relentless attacker. I had some close calls so I'm sure he'll pulverize me on NG+. I can't wait, actually.

Oh yeah, and I didn't get hit by the soulsucker but I love the concept. It's so old school D&D.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

IronSaber posted:

Which one can you grind for first? Or in other words, which upgrade material does one come across first?

It depends which level you go to. You can farm greystone at the end of 2-2 (right before flamelurker). It's probably one of the easiest to farm since it's right by his archstone. You also get a guaranteed pure drop if you bring the dragon bone smasher to Scirvir.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

actionjackson posted:

It depends which level you go to. You can farm greystone at the end of 2-2 (right before flamelurker). It's probably one of the easiest to farm since it's right by his archstone. You also get a guaranteed pure drop if you bring the dragon bone smasher to Scirvir.

Oh, I see. I was under the assumption DeS was more linear than that. So you can choose which world to enter first?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

IronSaber posted:

Oh, I see. I was under the assumption DeS was more linear than that. So you can choose which world to enter first?

You have to do 1-1 and from there you can do the worlds in any order. Most people recommend doing 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, then 2-2, 3-2, etc, but if you really want to you can just beat them in one go. It'll just be harder.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wait, what? I'm in 2-1, and I activated a moving platform shortcut thing (like the Blighttown elevator). When I died and went to it at the beginning of the level, it's no longer moving. Did I activate another one or something?

e: nvm, it is different than the one at the beginning. Another question. Is there a shortcut near the boss by any chance?

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 28, 2012

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Finally got back to this game. I'm almost done, I think, with just 1-4 and whatever comes after that left. I'm a little confused about the 5-3 boss. I couldn't tell if I was just exploiting it. I would just walk up, stab him, and then dodge away ad infinitum. It took a while but he died and I was never in danger. What was up with that :psyduck:

Then again, the 5-2 and 5-1 bosses were also ludicrously easy, so...

Garl likes to randomly parry attacks, which is generally a guaranteed one-hit kill. Never happened to me the first time I beat him, but the second time... Luckily, he's easy to parry.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

Wait, what? I'm in 2-1, and I activated a moving platform shortcut thing (like the Blighttown elevator). When I died and went to it at the beginning of the level, it's no longer moving. Did I activate another one or something?

e: nvm, it is different than the one at the beginning. Another question. Is there a shortcut near the boss by any chance?

You'll open up two shortcuts as you progress through the level. It won't take long to get to the boss once you have the fire drained, but you still will have to deal with a couple dogs and whatnot along the way.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Thankfully other than the dogs and I think a lizard man or two you can just run by most stuff. gently caress fighting those fat ministers.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Thankfully other than the dogs and I think a lizard man or two you can just run by most stuff. gently caress fighting those fat ministers.

So to upgrade into the Crescent path, the weapon first needs to be +6?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

So to upgrade into the Crescent path, the weapon first needs to be +6?

Yes, but always check on the wiki for the particular weapon you're looking to upgrade. I don't know if Crescent does it, but some weapon upgrade paths have different levels where they diverge to their specialties. Like maybe the katana has to be +6 for Tearing but the Dagger only +4. That example not taken from reality, but I remember something like that being in the game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just keep the wiki open with the page on upgrades on your phone or laptop or whatever because gently caress memorizing all of that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So where exactly am I supposed to go in the Tower of Latria? I can't seem to get anywhere except the two big rooms with cells.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Genocyber posted:

So where exactly am I supposed to go in the Tower of Latria? I can't seem to get anywhere except the two big rooms with cells.

There are several floors full of cells. You want to find a key on a wall(should be fairly conspicuous) and that will open a gate to a stairwell down. This will happen more than once.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

As Fergus said, the keys hang on walls. They sparkle. You'll wind your way back and forth between keys basically, and there will be a few opportunities (including one huge one) to backtrack to pick up treasure you couldn't get at A when you only had they key for A but not B or C and the door for the treasure in A area was a C door.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah I've found two keys so far, but not door leading to another level. Guess I must be passing it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

Yeah I've found two keys so far, but not door leading to another level. Guess I must be passing it.

In general, go down until you can't go down any more, then go outside. The last key you need requires risking your neck to a hail of arrows, it's juuuuust out of reach. There's one more key to find (ask a guy sitting on a bench where it might be) and then you can go back and clear out most of the level. Except for the key for the last little tidbits you need, which is in 3-2, and which requires pure white world tendency.

3-1 has some awesome treasure in it, a great vendor, and a really excellent spell tutor.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just killed the Adjucator...that was a pathetic boss. Though it seems like it'd be more difficult as a melee character (playing a mage).

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Genocyber posted:

Just killed the Adjucator...that was a pathetic boss. Though it seems like it'd be more difficult as a melee character (playing a mage).

Nah, it's easy no matter what.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RentCavalier posted:

Nah, it's easy no matter what.

So it's the Pinwheel of Demon's Souls, then?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I've had troubles with Adjudicator :(

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Genocyber posted:

Nah, I actually died to Adjudicator before I knew what I was doing :v:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

Nah you just jump down there and beat on his stomach sword until you can wail on his head. I think he's actually easier that way and the only times I've ever been killed fighting him were when I was dicking around upstairs and he hit me with his tongue.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Genocyber posted:

Leechmonger and dirty colossus are even easier.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Fools Idol is the pinwheel of the game. Dirty Colossus is actually pretty dangerous... if he can hit you.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
See, I would agree with you but Fool's Idol is WAY harder than Pinwheel because of those stupid worshipers. And memorizing trap locations. I guess those only matter if you're melee, but basically I think Fool's Idol actually has the potential to kill a melee character.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

After beating Dark Souls to hell and back I'm finally getting a chance to play this game :3: Anything I should know? From what I've read it looks like starting as Knight is valid with mostly melee and using a bit of sorcery and miracles from some amazing dual-casting talisman that I wish was in Dark :v:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Alabaster White posted:

After beating Dark Souls to hell and back I'm finally getting a chance to play this game :3: Anything I should know? From what I've read it looks like starting as Knight is valid with mostly melee and using a bit of sorcery and miracles from some amazing dual-casting talisman that I wish was in Dark :v:

Poise doesn't exist and neither does midrolling so you spend the entire game at 49% encumbrance. Also, there's no plunging attack and you have to stop blocking in order to parry.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Poise doesn't exist and neither does midrolling so you spend the entire game at 49% encumbrance. Also, there's no plunging attack and you have to stop blocking in order to parry.

Seems fair enough. Is carry load anything to worry about? Or is that just to discourage you from going balls out on farming and looting :v:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It exists solely to be a pain in the rear end because you have to remember to store all of your unnecessary stuff after every level. It won't slow you down or anything though.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
I've had trouble with Leechmonger before, particularly that stupid attack where you get covered in leeches that drain your health. They seem to take forever to shake off. Plus the regenerating health is annoying if you don't have a souped-up weapon yet. There's no reason why you should ever get hit by Adjudicator, as long as you don't get greedy with your attacks on the blade in his side.

Alabaster White posted:

Knight's a pretty well-balanced starting class, since you can use both miracles and magic without investing any points in int/magic/faith, plus 14 strength is a nice starting point if you're going to go for a strength build. The armor is really heavy, though; you'll definitely want to dump it for something lighter as soon as possible. (I also think the helmet looks really silly, like something the Gorton's fisherman would wear into battle.)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So can you guys suggest a good armor? I've done every first stage in all the worlds, just finished 5-1, done the second stage in everything but the valley of defilement and the tower, haven't touched 4-1 though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Black Leather is most useful because it's so light. Also has good poison resistance.

For females the "best" armor is the Binded Set. It has zero stamina regen penalty and great resists and is light enough that you can wear most of the set without getting into fatroll at 40 endurance and using a light weapon.

For males the "armor" is the Ancient King set. However this is a bit heavier than the Binded and therefore you can usually only use a piece or two before fatroll, and it doesn't work well with other armors visually, so it's not the best in the game (that's probably Binded or Black Leather due to their utility).

Gloom Armor has good poison and plague resists and is the heavy armor with the most utility. If you're going to fatroll do it in Gloom.

Having a fast roll and being naked is far faaaar better than wearing Brushwood and having the midroll. Never give up your mobility for armor in Demon's Souls.

My standard setup for my usually female characters:

Black Leather Mask
Rogues Chest (light, looks snazzy)
Binded arms and legs

With the heavier weapons I often have to put on Black Leather boots and sometimes gloves too.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

Black Leather is most useful because it's so light. Also has good poison resistance.

For females the "best" armor is the Binded Set. It has zero stamina regen penalty and great resists and is light enough that you can wear most of the set without getting into fatroll at 40 endurance and using a light weapon.

For males the "armor" is the Ancient King set. However this is a bit heavier than the Binded and therefore you can usually only use a piece or two before fatroll, and it doesn't work well with other armors visually, so it's not the best in the game (that's probably Binded or Black Leather due to their utility).

Gloom Armor has good poison and plague resists and is the heavy armor with the most utility. If you're going to fatroll do it in Gloom.

Having a fast roll and being naked is far faaaar better than wearing Brushwood and having the midroll. Never give up your mobility for armor in Demon's Souls.

My standard setup for my usually female characters:

Black Leather Mask
Rogues Chest (light, looks snazzy)
Binded arms and legs

With the heavier weapons I often have to put on Black Leather boots and sometimes gloves too.

Where would I find some of these? Are they already available and I just missed them?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen posted:

Where would I find some of these? Are they already available and I just missed them?

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/armor-sets

The Location for each is a little blue link under the pictures. Most sets are found all together in a pile. A few have the head part in a different location than the rest of it.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Alteisen posted:

You won't be able to get the Ancient King set for a while, as it requires getting to the end of 1-4. It comes at the end of a sidequest and involves beating a fairly difficult NPC to get.

The Black Leather can be found in 3-1, and is probably the best if you have low endurance. IIRC it's near the start of the area, when you're still in the main prison complex. Chances are you probably already have it, but if not, it shouldn't be too hard to find if you wonder around 3-1 a bit.

Though, if I'm being honest, I played through the majority of the game naked and didn't have too much trouble. Armor is mostly aesthetic, just make sure you have the kind of roll you want and then pick whatever armor looks the snazziest.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah Bro posted:

You won't be able to get the Ancient King set for a while, as it requires getting to the end of 1-4. It comes at the end of a sidequest and involves beating a fairly difficult NPC to get.

Only if you want to complete the Ostrava quest line. You can kill him right away, get the key and beat the Old King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm, apparently I need white or black tendency to get the binded set, I don't get the tendency poo poo at all.

• Locked thread