Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wolpertinger posted:

The beta is a very real beta and hasn't been optimized or all that yet, sound effects aren't in yet (only music) and it's a bit slow and choppy and buggy - genesis is more complete and playable at the moment, but the beta is definitely worth cracking open just to see how it looks. Some of the new art is very nice looking - I really like the new UI, and the shards themselves actually look like shards floating in the cosmos rather than just land that arbitrarily ends with a black border.

As far as I can tell, alignment is raised/lowered by casting healing spells or chaos/necromancy spells, choices in events, which guards you use (bandit/thief guards probably count as evil), good/evil rituals, possibly some buildings (Dark Tower), and using any even slightly evil unit (barbarians, shamans). I wouldn't have guessed that even just having evil spells equipped would drain your alignment that much - it sounds strange. Are you sure you haven't done anything else that's evil? iirc Terrible is pretty evil. Also, have you ever used autofight with that character? He may be doing some necromancy/chaos magic behind your back.

I use nothing but healing spells and tend to make "good" decisions in the random events. However, I HAVE done some random battles and used autofight...shoot that is probably it. I bet like every turn that stupid mage used raise Demon or some crap. Just another thing to avoid, I guess. It also raises an interesting beta question for the devs: enabling/disabling certain spells for our autofights and/or allowing us to equip spells or alignment changing abilities on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jastiger posted:

I use nothing but healing spells and tend to make "good" decisions in the random events. However, I HAVE done some random battles and used autofight...shoot that is probably it. I bet like every turn that stupid mage used raise Demon or some crap. Just another thing to avoid, I guess. It also raises an interesting beta question for the devs: enabling/disabling certain spells for our autofights and/or allowing us to equip spells or alignment changing abilities on the fly.

I think you can pick "don't summon and/or don't use magic" when you pick quickfight.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
The dragon contract came from a temple with ~15 tier 2 / tier 3 holy units. Fortunately that means units that suck versus ranged, so it was a pretty easy fight.

Unfortunately, I went on to lose that shard (second time playing on competent, also lost first time) after I got attacked by two masters at once, took one's stronghold, and then was one turn too late coming back to rescue mine. Ironically, if I had put that dragon on my stronghold, I almost certainly would have won.

It cost ~2k gold and a bunch of gems to place though and I was too cheap.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Plundering also lowers your alignment, natch. Thus, as far as I know, you can only deal with different races through local province improvements that raise happiness. I only wish that it was a bit more obvious how much of a natural penalty each race has in terms of happiness: halflings seem like they're just like humans, but I once had a dwarf province settle at content without a pub even though dwarves are supposed to be naturally surly or something.

I think your alignment has a lot to do with it. After being the evillest guy ever (I used a necromantic ritual to murder every single living thing on my personal shard), elves, dwarves, and halflings (all above-neutral races, I think) rebel really quickly. Even humans start off significantly discontent.

That's something I genuinely love about this game. Inciting rebellions can be a good thing, as you can then grind those said rebellions for xp.

On the others side, everyone seems to be getting 20+ heroes all the time. Even on large shards I tend to win (or lose) before I hit 20. Does anyone else play mustache-twirlingly evil, and if so, does this make games quicker? Or am I doing something fundamentally wrong when it comes to grinding xp?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Does reverting to the previous turn cost you anything? The description says you lose "glory" but is that something tangible or just a score you get when you complete the game?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

Does reverting to the previous turn cost you anything? The description says you lose "glory" but is that something tangible or just a score you get when you complete the game?

That just takes off from you final score on that shard. I don't think it has any effect on anything other than your e-peen.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

occipitallobe posted:

I think your alignment has a lot to do with it. After being the evillest guy ever (I used a necromantic ritual to murder every single living thing on my personal shard), elves, dwarves, and halflings (all above-neutral races, I think) rebel really quickly. Even humans start off significantly discontent.

That's something I genuinely love about this game. Inciting rebellions can be a good thing, as you can then grind those said rebellions for xp.

On the others side, everyone seems to be getting 20+ heroes all the time. Even on large shards I tend to win (or lose) before I hit 20. Does anyone else play mustache-twirlingly evil, and if so, does this make games quicker? Or am I doing something fundamentally wrong when it comes to grinding xp?

I usually win before 20 on tiny/small shards, but usually on medium/large shards, I tend to turtle up and/or get eventually prevented from reaching the enemy by some exceedingly strong independents/guards, which has me just sit there and grind explore battles until I'm so overpoweringly strong I can just charge straight to their stronghold. I really am jealous of all the guards the NPC masters have - they always beat mine effortlessly except for special limited ones (adventurers, contracts, etc) While mine have even level 15 heroes go I'M DOOMED! and instafail autofight so I have to micromanage every single one.

Also, how far are you shardwise? I've collected 11, and being pure good, haven't gotten anything anywhere near that cool. I've uh.. protected my world from disease (-3 income) and told them to worship the Lord of Light, and stop worshipping me (-2 income) and that's all that's popped up so far choicewise. I saw someone earlier than me managed to somehow give the gremlin a salary, but that choice has never popped up.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 28, 2012

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

Also, how far are you shardwise? I've collected 11, and being pure good, haven't gotten anything anywhere near that cool. I've uh.. protected my world from disease (-3 income) and told them to worship the Lord of Light, and stop worshipping me (-2 income) and that's all that's popped up so far choicewise. I saw someone earlier than me managed to somehow give the gremlin a salary, but that choice has never popped up.

I have 21 shards, though I'm not sure if the three masters I've murdered count among those. The game really starts ramping up the difficulty later on, even though I have better troops/spells/items.

I'm also not sure how smart the AI is, but in two separate cases now I've used the undead swarm technique to take out an enemy warrior, and in both cases he had fatigue-restoring spells in the very next battle. So yeah, that was pretty cool.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

I keep saying I'm done with this game (due to it's difficulty) but I keep coming back to it. I'm like in an abusive relationship here. I tried out going Ranged Commander instead of my token Necromancer, and It worked out really well. I think it's mostly due to the fact that I got a Thug mercenary very early on, something like turn 8 or so, really helped me dominate Oinor.

The other guy though, I don't know what the heck he was doing. He was way over in the corner of the map, barely had any territory, had really weak heroes.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

The Quake posted:

I keep saying I'm done with this game (due to it's difficulty) but I keep coming back to it. I'm like in an abusive relationship here. I tried out going Ranged Commander instead of my token Necromancer, and It worked out really well. I think it's mostly due to the fact that I got a Thug mercenary very early on, something like turn 8 or so, really helped me dominate Oinor.

The other guy though, I don't know what the heck he was doing. He was way over in the corner of the map, barely had any territory, had really weak heroes.

Chances are he's a local lord. Local lords aka non-masters have a terribly weak tech tree, no pre-shard bonuses, and dumb AI - they quickly get phased out as you start to run into more masters to fight against - if you can believe it, local lords are the game being EASY on you.

I was in a similar predicament as you, but i've learned how to play as time goes on - I've found tactics that work, and abused them thoroughly. Yes, scout and warrior are excellent, amazing heroes early game. Necromancers and chaos mages are very powerful and useful early game, but you will want to buy a warrior or archer as soon as you can. The reason being that warriors/archers continue to grow exponentially in power as they level up, and while a wizard could probably outdo them if he had access to high level spells, he doesn't yet until you unlock them via shards. As such, the wizard will quickly end up in a support role to your archer or warrior.

Once you get even t2 spells though, watch out - wizards are lethal all the way to the endgame, as t2 has all the AOE spells as well as some nice summons. You can usually find a knowledge store or two and buy a tier 3 spell or two to supplement - I just won a game with my wizard that only had t2 elemental (the stone school, so stoneskin/summon gargoyle/rain of stones) find a Summon Golem t3 summon in a knowledge store. A golem summon is ridiculously powerful and can win you most fights.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
So labyrinths:

Was expecting these to be considerably more badass defender wise. I almost felt like it was a bug, but the defenders at any level I chose were always the same three minotaurs, which aren't a big deal for a bunch of archers to deal with.

Completed two, both of which gave by far the best items i've seen in maybe 15-20 hours of play. One was a crossbow that was 15 damage, 6 range, AP, and 3 poison. The game considered that, on a scale from rare to very rare to legendary, as "rare".

Yikes.

Ironically, while I was grinding the labyrinth, the final master that I had mostly locked in a corner found a minotaur guard to put on his capital, which had 6 minotaurs instead of 3.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Big Sean posted:

The final master that I had mostly locked in a corner found a minotaur guard to put on his capital, which had 6 minotaurs instead of 3.

Man, we must've been playing the same game. I ended up defeating another master handily with my level 11 scout/wizard combo, but just couldn't break through his minotaur lines. I ended up surrounding his base with ultrapowerful patrols and leaving to grind a labyrinth (and an arena) before I managed to break through. 3 minotaurs aren't much of a threat to a well-levelled hero, but 6 minotaurs on plains will eat nearly any army alive.

Terrain is massive, too. Some games it's not a huge difference, but I've had my scout fight battles with choke points against higher-levelled heroes with larger armies made up of higher-tier troops and won through the judicious use of defensive spells and archery.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I really hope the updated game retains this games vicious AI/difficulty.

I'm cool with some lower difficulty settings to make it playable for most people, but I'm not used to getting my rear end kicked by the AI in a TBS, it's really refreshing.

Part of it, I'm sure, is not knowing how to fully exploit all the systems in the game, and not knowing the pacing, but I'm still pretty happy with how mean the tactical battles can be, and the strategic AI seems to be fairly aggressive about expanding and using its heroes well.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, Doh-Gor invaded my world, and I nearly lost everything (and the whole campaign as such) because for some irritating reason the vast majority of my essential resource lands were orcs and goblins and lizardmen, all of whom started getting angrier and angrier and angrier and rebelling at the drop of a hat, and I put down the rebellions and they got angrier and I started losing all my essential resource cities and I took them back and had to run back to the front line only for them to immediately rebel again and kill the guards and... yeah.

Me, the purest goody two shoes, ended up pillaging all the orc/goblin towns down to population zero, and then when they repopulated and rebelled, I brought them down to zero again, and then cursed their lands, presumably turning it into a demon/undead filled wasteland just to keep those goddamn pests from coming back. I really hate orcs now. On an interesting note, a cursed land with zero population will still give you any resource in the province! :v:

I also ended up using Dark Order Supreme guards, which is apparently a pile of t3-t4 evil spellcasters, and the Army of the Dead which is filled with t4 vampires.

Despite this, I managed to win at 'wise' alignment. Hah.

I really wish this game had a tech tree, can't decide which shard to go after next - knowing that I won't be able to get specific units/tier 3 until I get the prerequisites for them.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 28, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

race relations

Yeah, I wish the game could be more transparent about provincial happiness mechanics and how to deal with rebels. Sometimes provinces are pissed for reasons that are unclear, like a Human province with +mood buildings being angry enough to build unrest despite choosing event options beneficial to the people.

Also, it sounds a bit dumb as a game mechanic that putting rebels down will only make the province angrier, leading to exponentially more trouble. Makes playing Good leaders annoying since you can't rely on genocide/scorched earth to deal with rebellious races and instead you can only keep a guard that will eventually lose to attrition or hope that the +1 mood building can stave off rebel sentiment.

vvv: I heard reports that plundering to extinction does work; I'm just not sure which dialogue choice wipes the pop type clean. Still, as we both play Good masters, it's probably inconvenient since the "permanent" solution is an Evil act, but I suppose it thematically fits.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 28, 2012

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, I wish the game could be more transparent about provincial happiness mechanics and how to deal with rebels. Sometimes provinces are pissed for reasons that are unclear, like a Human province with +mood buildings being angry enough to build unrest despite choosing event options beneficial to the people.

Also, it sounds a bit dumb as a game mechanic that putting rebels down will only make the province angrier, leading to exponentially more trouble. Makes playing Good leaders annoying since you can't rely on genocide/scorched earth to deal with rebellious races and instead you can only keep a guard that will eventually lose to attrition or hope that the +1 mood building can stave off rebel sentiment.

I've found a few good ways to stack up happiness as I get more buildings - there's several guards that are +1 happiness - if you upgrade the healer building, you can get a healer guard which is +1 happiness, which can be useful. Also, the whole forestry quarter seems to give multiple different flavors of happiness improving guards - the unicorns are +2 and are a strong guard in and of themselves. Plus I inevitably get those +3 or more happiness building schematics from independents, and save them for especially rebellious provinces.. it's just those orcs were PISSED. - like -8 pissed at least, it seemed. And there was more than one!

I had heard that pillaging them down to 0 pop changes them to humans, but it didn't seem to work. It did make them stop rebelling, though. Heh.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
I'm absolutely loving this game, the first of its type I've played. I'm wondering whether I should go back to ones like HoMM and MoM as an introduction to the genre before I dig deeper into this? Or is this a good point to start off.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SparkTR posted:

I'm absolutely loving this game, the first of its type I've played. I'm wondering whether I should go back to ones like HoMM and MoM as an introduction to the genre before I dig deeper into this? Or is this a good point to start off.

This is actually one of the densest fantasy TBS games I can think of. As far as Heroes goes...

Classics: HoMM2, HoMM3 (HoMM2 is a bit more whimsical, it might feel dated now. HoMM3 looks even more raw imo, just due to the sort-of-rendered graphics). HoMM1 is basically just the prototype for HoMM2 and all the clones that followed.

Mixed opinions: HoMM5 (I think it's good with the expansions and the amazing fan made manual/guide)

Avoid: HoMM4 and 6 (4 was created by the original dev as the company was failing, and it was experimental in a lot of bad ways. 6 was made by a different dev than 5, and very much pushed out the door - the dev is now out of business, so its dead anyway)

Recent stuff: Warlock (dig this one), Fallen Enchantress (don't dig this one), King's Bounty - weirdly, this is based on the predecessor to HoMM, but its by a different company entirely. Very faithful to the spirit though, and a great series of games. Legend -> Crossworlds -> Warrior's of the North. Crossworlds is a direct upgrade/expansion to Armored Princess. I haven't played WotN, there's a thread floating around here for it.

I wouldn't recommend digging up Master of Magic for anything other than curiosity - it was an amazing game for its time, but its very, very dated now. Still has surprisingly great tooltips for everything, but just in general its raw as hell.

I would say keep playing Eador, it rocks. Check out the beta for the sequel/update subtitled Master of the Broken World, you can get into it on their forum.

As for the others, while HoMM2/3 are dated as well, I think they're worth checking out at some point, you can get them dirt cheap on gog.com. I think HoMM2 is great, but that could just be nostalgia, I was always more fond of it than HoMM3. Both HoMM2 and 3 had/have easy to use map editors and very, very active fan mappers, so there are shitloads of high quality fan maps for them. HoMM3 has a lot of mods too (Russians loved it, which is one of the reasons we got HoMM5 and King's Bounty from euro devs after the license was lost when the company behind HoMM1-4 folded).

Of the others, I would definitely pick up King's Bounty if you haven't played it. I think HoMM5 is worth playing (again, be sure to get the fan manual - there's a ton of depth to hero development that simply isn't exposed ingame). And I like Warlock quite a bit, though its probably the least similar to any of the above games. FE is meh.

Also you may have already played them, but the Total War series has very similar dna on the strategic level, though the combats are obviously real time. The King Arthur series of games is a fantasy/rpg slant on the TW series.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Plundering a province down actually takes more time than simply recapturing it with your third backup hero from time to time, and gives you more xp as well. Repopulation is a neat mechanic, but it doesn't actually have a lot of use.

Also, forts + archers will beat almost any rebelling army. They give bonuses to range and ranged attack, and the rebels will assault the very first turn they can, making them very, very easy to defend.

SparkTR posted:

Honestly, it's not like HoMM & King's Bounty, or MoM & Age of Wonders. Eador isn't a spiritual successor to anything (unless it's some hyperobscure Russian game no-one's heard of). HoMM is more about maintaining a fleet-in-being (On land. With dragons.), and MoM is about strategy.

Eador is more like Heroes than MoM, but Heroes revolves around towns and heroes. Train your hero, but he's only useful if you have enough troops from your towns. Keeping the economic edge wasn't just useful, it was crucial. Really, Heroes was a game about logistics. Train your hero, get resources, max out troops. It was amazing, sure, but nothing like Eador.

MoM is still the best 4x fantasy game ever made (in terms of mechanics, ignoring AI and all that other good stuff like graphics), and it's very similar to Age of Wonders. You could raise volcanoes and open gates to other worlds, lower mountains to let armies through and raise them to prevent a massive enemy infantry swarm smashing through a lightly-defended pass.

You'd lie just out of the fog of war to lure in an enemy troop, and then unleash a mass of spells (and death knights), obliterating their northern armies and forcing the other guy to pull back his armies from conquering your ally's lightly defended border or risk annihilation himself.

MoM and AoW were games about grand strategy, thinking many moves ahead. The constant allocation of scarce resources (the most important being casting points) in order to push back enemies faced with the same resource problem.

Eador is a game where the terrain and weapons or troops you use can make a huge difference in one battle. Earlier I described a battle where I fought a superior army in the mountains and won. A few shards later, I did the same thing; but this time I lured the enemy warrior into a mountain province by constantly luring him through undefended provinces of mine, disbanding guards to get him to take the path I chose.

Eador is a game about awesome battles and splendid tactics. There are more interesting mechanics (skills, fatigue, morale, different sorts of defense), and a much fuller map, leading to a situation where your troop deployment really matters.

The closest game to it in my opinion is Fantasy General, not HoMM.

Still, play MoM (or better yet, Age of Wonders 2). It really is great.

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 28, 2012

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
Thanks, I bought both HoMM2/3 from gog (nice for only $10) and I'll give them a shot down the road. I'm going to savor this game for as long as I can before moving on.

Thanks above as well, bought MoM and AoW2. Looking forward to getting into them.

SparkTR fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 28, 2012

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
MoM is similar to this in that you pick a fantasy overlord archetype to follow and then you accrue more powerful bonuses based on that as you go along, like the evil necromancer with skeleton hordes and curses, the benevolent wizard with pegasi and fairies, barbarian tribes with orcs and monsters, etc. It's kind of like roleplaying a fantasy entity from Lord of the Rings or what have you. It was aided by MoM's kind of aimless AI which let you sort out your kingdom and make choices at leisure, but Eador seems a little more time sensitive so it's not a pure fantasy overlord simulator as MoM was. So I'd recommend playing MoM- it's great fun.

HoMM was really fun back in the day, but there were never many choices of consequence to make as you play. You would just build up the unit tree and explore as much as you can, balancing resources between hiring more heroes to explore, building structures, and ensuring you had enough gold to hire units at the start of the next week. So I think Eador sort of surpasses it in most ways, which is really cool.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

I also ended up using Dark Order Supreme guards, which is apparently a pile of t3-t4 evil spellcasters

Those guys showed up in one of my provinces and said "Hey, we want to build a Dark Tower here and also guard this place for you..." So I said "Alright." I don't even have access to t2 units yet, if my enemy had gotten that contract I would have been hosed.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SparkTR posted:

Thanks above as well, bought MoM and AoW2. Looking forward to getting into them.
Get AoW1 too. It has it's problems (like getting a lifestealing+first strike hero trivializes the campaign a few levels in), but it looks awesome, has an actually totally non-linear campaign (important choices after most battles) and some of the best music I've ever heard in a game.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
I'm probably not the first to say this, but Eador is more like dominions than anything else.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Big Sean posted:

I'm probably not the first to say this, but Eador is more like dominions than anything else.

Dominions is way more complicated - so much more so that they're very different. The battles are completely different, the main map in dominions requires tedious micromanagement in every province in many areas, the tech tree is different, the magic is different, it's all pretty different. The only comparison I can really see is they are both fantasy and they both have a Total War style world map with provinces.

Then again, I've never really managed to play Dominions - the demo seriously turned me off and I didn't want to pay 40$ or somesuch to give it another chance. Hearing that the average game lasts weeks to months didn't make it sound very appealing either.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

That's for multiplayer, especially if you're doing PBEM where you can only get a couple turns in a day if that.

Was there ever a way to get this working without having to gently caress with power cycles/processor speed or other things that I'd need to change and change back every time I wanted to play? On GoG there's a launcher tool someone made but it doesn't seem to work, at least for me

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

RentACop posted:

That's for multiplayer, especially if you're doing PBEM where you can only get a couple turns in a day if that.

Was there ever a way to get this working without having to gently caress with power cycles/processor speed or other things that I'd need to change and change back every time I wanted to play? On GoG there's a launcher tool someone made but it doesn't seem to work, at least for me

I wonder why some people need that and some don't - I haven't, and I have a modern processor, too.

Has anyone found out how to make the inquisition stop attacking you after you refuse to let them move in? I just got the event now and I'd rather they not make my provinces hate me, but on the other hand having them take over provinces every few turns is terrible too.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

Has anyone found out how to make the inquisition stop attacking you after you refuse to let them move in? I just got the event now and I'd rather they not make my provinces hate me, but on the other hand having them take over provinces every few turns is terrible too.
Someone has, it seems they have a lair that you have to seek out and conquer.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Someone has, it seems they have a lair that you have to seek out and conquer.

I've looked for it, never found it - checked every single province, and unless it's a hidden lair that you have to 100% every province for.. Or god help me, it's hidden in a province I might not own.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I would say Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is pretty close to this. HOMM 5 is amazing with mods so don't let people put you off it.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Hahahaha, some of the events in this game - a magician comes to you offering you a ritual that makes it rain gold. Sure, why not, you say? It's only 20 magic crystals. The rain of gold wipes out half the population, as heavy gold coins falling from the sky at a high speed kill or maim if they hit and will in fact punch through the roof of most peasants houses.

Edit : Hahahaha. Then, immediately after, the 'peasants ask you to build an altar to their god' event I've gotten a million times, this one time instead of them being happy and giving me an item, they start mass-sacrificing babies and children on their new altar to their dark gods.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 29, 2012

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

Or god help me, it's hidden in a province I might not own.
Most likely.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Wolpertinger posted:

Hahahaha, some of the events in this game - a magician comes to you offering you a ritual that makes it rain gold. Sure, why not, you say? It's only 20 magic crystals. The rain of gold wipes out half the population, as heavy gold coins falling from the sky at a high speed kill or maim if they hit and will in fact punch through the roof of most peasants houses.

Edit : Hahahaha. Then, immediately after, the 'peasants ask you to build an altar to their god' event I've gotten a million times, this one time instead of them being happy and giving me an item, they start mass-sacrificing babies and children on their new altar to their dark gods.

You still got gold in the end, right? In that case:

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

The one that hosed me over the most is a traveling mage who says he can summon a Djinn for 500 gold and 250 gems. Then you ask the Djinn for a wish, and he says gently caress you and takes half your gold and gems and leaves.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

The Quake posted:

The one that hosed me over the most is a traveling mage who says he can summon a Djinn for 500 gold and 250 gems. Then you ask the Djinn for a wish, and he says gently caress you and takes half your gold and gems and leaves.

If you choose 'talk to the djinn' he either a. does nothing bad, or b. gives you 1000 gold and 500 gems (it seems to be a 50/50 chance)

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Hmm I've only gotten the good outcome when talking to the djinn, (3x).

I had a weird event where someone came to my stronghold and said we has a fellow immortal fleeing from chaos and needed me to protect him. I tried and failed, and when I "went back a step" the event didn't recur.

Anyone seen that event / seen it and had a different outcome?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
For those in the MOTBW beta, can you see the movement range of your own and enemy units during combat like in HoMMV?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I love guardsmen. All the t2 cavalry move quickly but are so fragile that they get focused down in a heartbeat - pegasi, horsemen, all end up dying too fast. Guardsmen, however, are walking tanks, sure they move slow but nothing is getting past them. This time I decided to go against the grain and make an enchanter wizard instead of a archmage like everyone else. A stoneskinned, Word of Lifed, Magic Armored' level 0 guardsman can take on a level 20 berserker and win by a considerable margin.

Word of Life is an incredible spell, by the way - the description is vague and I had misread it as a single heal for 5 hp and 2 stamina followed by 4 turns of +1 speed/attack, which would have been a rather lame t2 spell, and just a bad heal with a haste thrown on. Turns out it's 5 health 2 stamina per turn AND +1 attack/speed. With concentration + enchanter, it's lasting about 12 turns, which means he never runs out of stamina and has super-regen, on top of +1 speed +1 attack. It's essentially super-haste + regeneration, and it turns guardsmen into gods.

I can't wait until I get more buffs. Explosions are fun and all, but buffs are way stronger than I gave them credit for, heh.

Edit: hmm.. I can invade Doh-Gor or Beleth, but I'm nervous about fighting an AI with a maphack and a huge resource advantage. Anyone have any experience on how challenging it is?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 29, 2012

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

For those in the MOTBW beta, can you see the movement range of your own and enemy units during combat like in HoMMV?

Yeah, if you highlight them. You also get an estimate of the damage your attack might do, which is something that isn't in Genesis. It's also super easy to get into the beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I caved and bought this game (steam sales cleared out the amount I slotted for myself) and goddamn I am impressed. Why exactly is this '09 Russian gem just getting the attention it deserves? Is it because of the facelift it is getting next year with the new game?

• Locked thread