Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Are we seriously having a discussion about how a woman's breast size could impact their acrobatic skills!? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
It isn't as though this isn't 100% factual. This is one of the few applications where this chat isn't creepy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I don't stare the character's boobs because I'm turned on by boobs; far from it. Not noticing those boobs would be like not noticing Celes's hair: they're a major character attribute. I am freaked out because she doesn't look like any gymnast I've ever seen, and that includes the ones going back to the 1950s.

And, like Twiddy says, it's a game with a flying rabbit who can turn chickens into cows, and yet I am worrying about "Gymnastics? In THAT body?"

On another topic, if you squished ants much you would get your kimono sleeves horribly, horribly dirty.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

likecnsnnts posted:

It isn't as though this isn't 100% factual. This is one of the few applications where this chat isn't creepy.

I think it's obvious by now that everything can and will be considered creepy around here. But yeah, it's a fine line sometimes I suppose.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if there's going to be exploration at night as well since the UI mentions "daytime" specifically. I'm also very slightly disappointed that they seem to be going with the "stuff opens up for exploration when people die" -pattern again instead of having a more natural progression from one area to another, but I suppose it's kind of hard to make it work in this context.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

the desired shape is cylindrical.
Alright, I have to ask: is there any reason for this?

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

lotus circle posted:

I have to say, I don't quite get where all the "Saionji is crazy, she'll definitely kill" is coming from.

It's the expressions. If she used one of her "cutesy" poses while talking about ant-killing, I could buy that she was simply naive, but:

Those are not the expressions of anyone that could be classified as naive, good, or innocent. Those are the expressions of a complete sociopath. There is simply no way those poses could be used in a not-evil context.

The art style loves coloring faces red for anger and blue/purple for despair/fear, but I think this might be the first time it has used black, presumably for malice.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

No. It's like any fashion trend or cultural practice. Someone with a lot of authority has a fetish, so everyone else tries to achieve that desired look.

It's the same reason they used to bind feet, it's the same reason some women file their teeth down to look like sharks.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Cardiovorax posted:

If you're looking for reason, you've got the wrong country. :japan:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Hobo By Design posted:

I don't understand this line. She's a bit more tan than the rest of the cast, but there seems nothing foreign about her. Is it a stereotype that non-Japanese athletes have big boobs or something?

Chalk this one up to Anime Body Types™, I think.

Estraven
Oct 18, 2012
Today I drew art of my favorite character so far:

I can tell I'm going to like Nanami a lot, I just hope she sticks around for a while :ohdear: Her hair is so much fun to draw! I can't really tell what her hair clip is and I didn't want to risk spoilers by googling pictures of her, so I made it a little space invader friend.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

likecnsnnts posted:

I think that the only application where this chat is alright is if you're an actual, real life, gymnastic trainer/team manager picking who to train and send to the Olympics. In the context of an anime game that isn't even about sports of any kind, it's very :spergin:.

Let's be honest: in the context of classical dance, the little girl's crazy hair is just as strange; I'm willing to bet classical dancers didn't wear their hair like that, in fact it kind of contradicts and takes away from the whole shebang. But everyone has noticed the boobs, and no-one has noticed the hair. It's not that the boobs are out of place that has drawn attention; it's simply that they're boobs.

Can we just call it fanservice and move on?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The hair isn't specifically ridiculous for her being a dancer though, it's insane in any context, and we already made every joke about it being basically a pair of scythe blades possible. The boobs wouldn't be that weird if she weren't a gymnast.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cardiovorax posted:

On one level the answer is "It's a style thing, and they're always cultural rather than logical." On another level the answer is that kimono are explicitly whole-cloth garments. Kimono aren't cut to fit the body. They are cut (historically) to maximize the use of the cloth; there are slight variations in sleeve length, shoulder width, and so on, but kimono are adjusted by taking folds in the material, not by cutting the fabric. Kimono are used as a palette to display the fabric/painting/embroidery. So, the flatter the body (of either sex) the better the kimono is displayed.

End derail...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Funny so many people are discussing similarities between Aoi and Akane, when for me the intro mainly highlighted a difference.

Aoi was all about effort, determination, practice, that kind of thing. That was part of why she felt like one of the most normal members of the cast. She happened to be good at something, she worked hard to be better, and she wound up one of the best. For a magnate school, that's a reasonable arc.

Akane, as mentioned, has the Leon thing where natural talent compensates for total laziness. It's a big personality difference.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Teddles posted:

I think that the only application where this chat is alright is if you're an actual, real life, gymnastic trainer/team manager picking who to train and send to the Olympics. In the context of an anime game that isn't even about sports of any kind, it's very :spergin:.

Can we just call it fanservice and move on?

I do agree; I think, in general, DR2 is heavier with the fanservice for some reason. But as far as Akane is concerned, there's really not too much more to discuss with regards to "her body-type is atypical for what most would consider a real-life gymnast's". (Likewise for Aoi as a swimmer, or frankly, Sakura as a wrestler.)

Arsenic Lupin posted:

End derail...

Huh? No, it was a fine, educational contribution. Thanks.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 30, 2012

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Arsenic Lupin posted:

On one level the answer is "It's a style thing, and they're always cultural rather than logical." On another level the answer is that kimono are explicitly whole-cloth garments. Kimono aren't cut to fit the body. They are cut (historically) to maximize the use of the cloth; there are slight variations in sleeve length, shoulder width, and so on, but kimono are adjusted by taking folds in the material, not by cutting the fabric. Kimono are used as a palette to display the fabric/painting/embroidery. So, the flatter the body (of either sex) the better the kimono is displayed.

End derail...

Instead of clothing being used to accentuate the body, the body is used as a stand to display the cloth? That's pretty damned interesting

It's been kinda mod approved, so if you have more factoids about traditional Japanese garb, I know I'd want to read more at the very least

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Instead of clothing being used to accentuate the body, the body is used as a stand to display the cloth? That's pretty damned interesting

It's been kinda mod approved, so if you have more factoids about traditional Japanese garb, I know I'd want to read more at the very least

It's not that abnormal. Think of the outfits European kings and queens wore. They were almost always more about the cloth and expensiveness of the garment than about the actual person underneath.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Arbitrary Coin posted:

It's more that the parts of the body you accentuate vary from culture to culture and time to time. Heian ladies grew floor-length hair and blackened their teeth to make their skin look whiter. There's a big Japanese kink for displaying the back of a woman's neck, which a woman can play into by low she tugs her kimono collar in the back. Geisha pull their collars down way low and accent the back of their neck by removing the white skin paint in two triangles. Kimono make the hands visible, and well-chosen arm and hand movements display the grace of the wearer. Geisha can also make a big play of showing just enough foot/ankle when walking. But yes, the beauty of kimono is the beauty of the fabric and ornamentation. It isn't there to display the shape of the body, except in subtle ways.

If you want a good anthropological/historical/fabric lust look at the how and why of kimono, see Liza Dalby's excellent Kimono. If you want to make kimono, hakama, and so on, check out Make Your Own Japanese Clothes: Patterns and Ideas for Modern Wear, by John Marshall, which will tell you about things like the little doodad you embroider on the center back seam to ward off bad luck.

why yes, I may have a shelf of this stuff
edit: but in practice I prefer bathrobes

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you want a good anthropological/historical/fabric lust look at the how and why of kimono, see Liza Dalby's excellent Kimono. If you want to make kimono, hakama, and so on, check out Make Your Own Japanese Clothes: Patterns and Ideas for Modern Wear, by John Marshall, which will tell you about things like the little doodad you embroider on the center back seam to ward off bad luck.

Well there goes my next paycheck, but really thanks for those ideas. I love stuff like this.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

CandyCrazy posted:

It's the expressions. If she used one of her "cutesy" poses while talking about ant-killing, I could buy that she was simply naive, but:

Those are not the expressions of anyone that could be classified as naive, good, or innocent. Those are the expressions of a complete sociopath. There is simply no way those poses could be used in a not-evil context.

The art style loves coloring faces red for anger and blue/purple for despair/fear, but I think this might be the first time it has used black, presumably for malice.
Kids are cruel. The idea of being able to squash anything tiny like an ant is something that most everyone experiences at a young age, so it isn't surprising she treats it as a "If I can do it, why shouldn't I? :devil:" and even calls Hajime a coward for not taking part in the act. It seems more stylistic to me than anything, but you do have a point. Those expression are really drat creepy. I just think it's way too obvious for my liking.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

lotus circle posted:

Kids are cruel. The idea of being able to squash anything tiny like an ant is something that most everyone experiences at a young age, so it isn't surprising she treats it as a "If I can do it, why shouldn't I? :devil:" and even calls Hajime a coward for not taking part in the act.

Except she's not a kid, she's a high school student. It's one thing for an elementary school student to be squishing ants and giggling about it. It's a bit more disturbing for someone who's presumably 15 or older to be getting the same kind of enjoyment out of it.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Powerfrog posted:

I do not agree that Fatgami has shown the exact same personality as Togami... Togami had a sense of "Let me waste my very valuable time explaining why you are not worth my time." whilst fatty seems to just want to be left alone full stop. Fatty is showing interest in characters, something Togami only did AFTER they were in a kill or be killed game and he had to find weaknesses and strengths to help his own survival.

You described character development. There's also the whole fact that being fat can affect your self-esteem among other things. Poor Fatgami wants to be left alone and eat away his misery. Contrary to this, he's also a bit more sociable because of his experience in the original Dangan Ronpa, if it's really him (although at this point we have no reason not to assume it's him).

lotus circle posted:

I have to say, I don't quite get where all the "Saionji is crazy, she'll definitely kill" is coming from. She was squashing ants.

It's the expressions, and her general attitude regarding it. She reminds me a lot of the typical Japanese delinquent, kinda like Mondo from the first game. Actually, regarding that. Oren, what's the exact Japanese for her saying "big bro?" Was it the little sister way, or the delinquent way?

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
I'm interested to see who goes first, I'm hoping they don't do what DR1 did and set up an obvious sidekick/love interest in order to off them. But that has to wait at least until Usami reveals she's actually Monobear's evil little sister or something.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

orenronen posted:

Puchipuchi is the actual Japanese term for bubble wrap. Well, I guess technically it's called Kihoukanshouzai, but no one actually calls it that.

Wikipedia tells me the word was a bubble-wrap trademarked brand name originally, which transformed into the popular word for the general product many years ago.

So the onomatopoeia for popping got Band-Aided into the general term for bubble wrap? Neat.

And people are jumping on Pedobait being a sociopathic murderer-in-waiting way too quickly, seeing as the little douchebag kid is a well-worn comedic juxtaposition. Pedobait's VA even plays that kind of role as her claim to fame character (that's like the whole joke in Milky Holmes). I'd bet cash money she's a red herring like Togami was.

The "heroin chic" look was so lauded in haute couture, at least in part, because of the way clothes hung off of them. Runway models in general are walking clothes racks, or as seen as such by designers.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im quoting the post someone quoted two pages ago, but it turns out it goes to a different thread, heh, turns out my face was red!

orenronen posted:

For those of you who are not familiar with Nico video, for the sake of your sanity please push the "hide comments" button on the lower right side of the video before playing.

Oh man, really? Ive always loved the comments on Niconico videos and I secretly wish Youtube would add in something like that, even if its just an april fools joke.

Stone Salt
Dec 27, 2012
You have to remember that it is possible that the same thing happened as in DR, and 2 years has passed since they started school because of the world ending and them having their memory being deleted, which means that unless they skipped classes, the 130cm dancer with the brains of a 7 year old and the 133cm cook with the brains of a 13 year old are both at least 17 years old...

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

orenronen posted:

Congwatulations, everyone!!
It looks like everyone managed to gather their vewy first set of Hope Shards!
Oh oh oh oh... this makes me so vewy happy...
And so, I have prepared special pwesents so that you can be happy too!
...Presents, huh? Sure, why the hell not? There's no way this can possibly go horribly wrong. After all, this is a heart-thumping field trip full of hope, right? :unsmigghh:

Yeah, I'm willing to bet at least one of those presents is gonna go 'upupupu~!' and then the poo poo's finally gonna start hitting the fan.

orenronen posted:

Hey, what are you doing over there?
Oh? I'm squashing, see?
...Squashing?

The anties. I'm squashing the anties.
...Huh?

Heeheehee... When you press their bellies in the right spot, they make this great squishy sound!

Holy poo poo, everything about Saionji - the creepy ant-crushing, her facial expressions, the twin scythe-tails, and her rabbit hair accessories - screams "hay guize I'm totally the final boss!! <3" or at the very least a potential murderer. Given that this game seems to love loving with our expectations, though, I'm kinda hoping that's a red herring and she ends up being this game's lovable-sociopath Syo equivalent.

Looking forward to seeing Akane's character development as well, because although her design is very blatantly Asahina 2.0, nothing about her behavior or personality seems to indicate the two are even remotely related when compared to totally-not-an-anagram Naegi and Fatogami. Their SHSL talents are both in different athletic fields, but that's about it. Here's hoping she turns out to be more competent than Asahina, at least :shobon:

Fatogami is definitely an interesting case, since the game seems to be going the extra mile in suggesting he's the very same Togami from DR1 - unlike Nagito, there's no height or birthday discrepancies, only the weight difference. Of course, even if this were the same Togami (which is highly likely, all things considered), his weight issue does absolutely nothing to determine the timeframe in which DR2 takes place; did he purposely gain weight between games to try and keep Fukawa/Syo at bay, or is this really a prequel and he actually lost all that weight? It can go either way, though so far there's definitely more hints towards this taking place after DR1; Nagito's introduction of Togami pretty much reads verbatim from Naegi's description of him in the first game, and Togami's personality is fairly close to DR1 Togami near the endgame with the main difference being an added weight complex. Now, there's certainly some plausibility behind the theory that Nagito and Fatogami are the same Naegi and Togami from DR1 who decided to infiltrate the island game for some reason... but if so, where's Kirigiri in all this?

One possible explanation, if the simulation theory is to be believed, is that whatever's controlling it decided to repeat the previous game's experiment with templates based on two of the biggest wildcards - Naegi, or rather 'Nagito' as a somewhat more cynical version of his previous incarnation (but still retaining his hopeful attitude for the most part), and Togami with a few hundred extra pounds so as to hamper any corpse-moving shenanigans while still preserving his mystery-solving skills. Kirigiri wasn't included because she'd be too much of a threat to the integrity of the current iteration, considering how she basically broke Monobear's game while still remaining within the rules last time. The rest of the cast looking sort of like DR1 characters pasted together can easily be ascribed to technical limitations inherent to the simulator's character generator, I suppose.

Some people have mentioned the possibility of a hidden student on the island; it's too early to say but I don't think it's entirely out of the question. I'm pretty sure we don't yet know the actual size of our current class, so there's no way to know for certain if everyone's accounted for. If Nagito == Naegi and Fatogami == Togami, then we really only have 14 students belonging to the same class, not 16. That certainly leaves enough room for one or two hidden students if we assume the size of the current class is similar to DR1's. Hell, if it turns out DR2 is actually a prequel, then that makes our cast part of the 77th Class, which we know wouldn't be completely accounted for given that Matsuda hasn't shown up... unless somehow it turns out Hinata IS Matsuda (:tinfoil:) Though that's kinda stretching it too far, I think.
poo poo, there I go again, overanalyzing and extrapolating over every little detail when we're not even ten updates in. Perhaps I should probably start tagging my speculation posts as such...?

Anyways, on a semi-related note, given some of you were talking about DR stuff at Comiket 83... How long until the inevitable spin-off fangame involving Touhou characters? I'm thinking C86 myself :v:

Mersenne fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 30, 2012

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

The creatures here seem to me to be a tiger, a snake, and possibly a phoenix, which is sort of like three of the four symbolic creatures that seem to pop up a lot in Japanese things; the snake would be Genbu, sometimes a snake coiled around a turtle or sometimes a turtle with a snake head or something. The one that's missing is the dragon of the east, Seiryu.

Of course, I don't have the slightest clue what this could mean.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Anyone else feeling screwed up for looking forward to the reappearance of the guy who killed a kid by smacking with thousands of baseballs at high speed?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Good characters don't have to be good people and it's absolutely fine to enjoy a good character.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So, my fiancee likes having a bazillion wallpapers in her rotation on her computer, and Google wasn't giving her exactly what she wanted. So, she made her own. The first one she's had since toward the end of DR1's story (as you can guess by looking at it) but the second she just made today. I could post the first one in the DR1 thread, but a) this one has more traffic now, and b) :effort:.

So, if any of you need something Dangan Ronpa related to look at in between mashing F5 on this thread, here you go.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
The first one made me a bit sad because of the photos and bodies but then I saw Mondo's butter in the corner and I laughed....I'm a horrible person. :(
And the second one makes me want once again a Dangan Ronpa fighting game.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Eh, I'm not too bothered by Akane being a gymnast. Muggsy Bogues is only 5'3" and he played 14 seasons in the NBA. I don't know too much about gymnastics but it's not completely impossible, is it?

Also, am I the only one who has a feeling Nagito is going to be the first victim? It just seems to me like he's the only one in the cast who's death will have a lot of impact immediately (besides Togami I guess).

getitoffgetitoff fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 30, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Now that we've met everyone, I have to say that the character I like the most after first impressions is the photographer, Mahiru. That's because aside from Nagito, she was one of the only people to show more than one side in their introduction - there was the sharp tongue, but she showed a pleasant, more normal side as well, and she had a desire to leave the island.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Also, am I the only one who has a feeling Nagito is going to be the first victim? It just seems to me like he's the only one in the cast who's death will have a lot of impact immediately (besides Togami I guess).
Right now, Togami and Nagito both have some pretty big target signs on their backs. I would be shocked if both of them made it past Chapter 1 alive.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
If you look at the photographs alone, it makes Dangan Ronpa seem like a pretty light hearted game.
...then you look beyond the photographs. :ohdear:

This, however, is pretty awesome. Even if you basically crammed every single released art for the characters in here, seeing them all together like this is pretty cool. I'm trying to see if there's any rhyme or reason to the arrangement. Like having Naegi and Nagito together. Ishida's Mondo-ghost near Mondo. Syo standing right next to Togami who is sitting next to Togami. SHSL Coach next to SHSL Baseball Player. And everyone with the most basic standing-upright poses front and center.

...Mukuro taking aim at Junko. :golgo:

AnticitizenOne
Dec 27, 2012

Mersenne posted:

Some people have mentioned the possibility of a hidden student on the island; it's too early to say but I don't think it's entirely out of the question. I'm pretty sure we don't yet know the actual size of our current class, so there's no way to know for certain if everyone's accounted for. If Nagito == Naegi and Fatogami == Togami, then we really only have 14 students belonging to the same class, not 16.

Hm. If there is a hidden student, how did they get to the island? If we're not talking about a simulation here, there's not much reason why everybody from Hope's Peak didn't come in on the same fake classroom. I still think this game could be a prequel to the original, because it's very difficult to explain how Hope's Peak retained it's reputation and authority after not only the end of the world as we know it, but the televised student-on-student murder fest that Junko set up. The only other way would be if this is extremely far in the future, which I still don't think would fully explain it, especially considering the Hope's Peak in DR1 looks identical as far as I can tell to the one in DR2.

At the very least, I think we can almost definitely say that this current crop of students arrived prior to The Worst, Most Despair-inducing Incident in the History of Mankind (I still want to know what that is, dammit).

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Hm...guy's forgive my poor memory, but have we seen the asura dude who's under chiaki yet?

edit - here's the pic for goon's who don't want to scroll up 3 posts

Renzuko fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 30, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Renzuko posted:

Hm...guy's forgive my poor memory, but have we seen the asura dude who's under chiaki yet?

That's Kenichiro, Sakura Oogami's boyfriend. He is only mentioned during her free time events, and his picture can be found in the artbook. This is from the original DR LP, which is still active:

orenronen posted:

And finally, the last remaining pin-up picture from the official artbook, Kenichiro.

There's actually one more official picture of him, on the back of one of the comics anthologies. The cover was drawn by Rui Komatsuzaki, who (for those who can't remember) is the character designer and drew all the other official art for the game.

I can understand if you missed him, since was posted after the main LP ended.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Seeing that wallpaper of all the official art makes me wonder what official art of Naegi as Super High-School Level Hope would look like. A full-body version of the "You've got that wrong/You must not lose hope!" art, I guess? It'd be cool to see.

Maybe we'll see it if he isn't Nagito and shows up. Or if he is Nagito and there's a dramatic unmasking. Kind of hoping Nagito is an evil Naegi impersonator so we might get Super High-School Level Good and Evil Twins CG. I like the story, but pretty pictures are a definite plus.

• Locked thread