Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
If you plan to play this game, install DSFix, full stop. If you plan to use mouse and keyboard, install the mouse fix as well, full stop. Literally no reason not to do these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Talking about Havel chat, I finally downed him after complaining a few pages ago. I still can't roll worth poo poo, but I can parry-riposte like a crazy motherfucker. This ring owns bones.

Now I'm just trying to find Blighttown. I've been running through the Darkroot Forest, which seems to have the most level-appropriate guys for where I am now. So, following the advice of earlier Goons, I'm avoiding places where I blatantly get my rear end kicked like the path to the Catacombs or the weird watery area with the ghosts. The Butterfly gave me a few issues, and I stupidly used its soul thinking it would give me the item option right then, but ah well. Drake Sword is still doing just fine for now.

Overall, really enjoying everything so far. I don't like having to scrounge around for ages to find humanity, but outside of that I'm not having any issues with the game design so far. Now off to find that second bell :black101:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axel Serenity posted:

Talking about Havel chat, I finally downed him after complaining a few pages ago. I still can't roll worth poo poo, but I can parry-riposte like a crazy motherfucker. This ring owns bones.

Now I'm just trying to find Blighttown. I've been running through the Darkroot Forest, which seems to have the most level-appropriate guys for where I am now. So, following the advice of earlier Goons, I'm avoiding places where I blatantly get my rear end kicked like the path to the Catacombs or the weird watery area with the ghosts.

Overall, really enjoying everything so far. I don't like having to scrounge around for ages to find humanity, but outside of that I'm not having any issues with the game design so far. Now off to find that second bell :black101:

Have you been to the Lower Undead Burg yet? The door is near Solaire, and there's some fires and dogs and guys with knives. You kill the boss in there and then you get access to another area with its own boss and the proper front door to Blighttown.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh, right, I hadn't tried the keyboard/mouse fix so it probably makes using the keyboard/mouse easier, but I personally tried it without the fix and couldn't do it. v:v:v

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Vanderdeath posted:

Okay, I'll try it...but I have to admit, I've seen videos of the Knight Artorias fight and that poo poo looks rough. Here's hoping I don't explode into giblets.

at least I can murder Chester for his bomb-rear end outfit though

Artorias is pretty generous when it comes to letting you take sips of Estus and didn't take too much effort to kill. Make sure you kill Ciaran the first time you meet her if you want her armor. She disappears after that.

I like the additional content, it felt kinda fresh going to somewhere else and the bosses were pretty sweet.
I spent probably more than 2 hours trying to kill Kalameet and getting his tail chopped off when I was better off going to bed. All those corpse runs felt like I was raiding and I kept on thinking "one more try you loving dragon".
Towards the end I knew all his moves by heart and when finally got both his tail and life in the same attempt I felt so exhilarated that I had to calm down for an hour before I could sleep.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Dastardly posted:

Artorias is pretty generous when it comes to letting you take sips of Estus and didn't take too much effort to kill.

Only when he backs up for the jumping stab or whatever, he's pretty relentless otherwise.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Cityinthesea posted:

Only when he backs up for the jumping stab or whatever, he's pretty relentless otherwise.

I generally found it never took long before he either jumped back, started walking or just stood there roaring.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

If you plan to play this game, install DSFix, full stop. If you plan to use mouse and keyboard, install the mouse fix as well, full stop. Literally no reason not to do these things.

Sounds like DSFix broke when Dark Souls was patched before, so if things suddenly stop working in the future looking for an updated DSFix wouldn't be a bad idea.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Was farting around in the Great Hollow. Got Cursed at the bottom just before Ash Lake. gently caress it, gonna hit the bonfire down here, grab all the goodies, fart around with the hydra, then go back up. That should be a good five hours of hating life and/or rerolling to get back to the Shrine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Was farting around in the Great Hollow. Got Cursed at the bottom just before Ash Lake. gently caress it, gonna hit the bonfire down here, grab all the goodies, fart around with the hydra, then go back up. That should be a good five hours of hating life and/or rerolling to get back to the Shrine.

The clam enemies in ash lake drop purging stones so you could just farm them to cure yourself.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yep! Of course, there is nothing to indicate this in the game. Also the only person that can do this is an obscure NPC located in a weird spot in an area you will most likely have cleared before hitting one of the triggers for her to show up. Also she is the only source of advanced pyromancies as well!
I've met her in both my previous playthroughs (and bought most of her spells), but I guess I just never tried the 'modify equipment' option with her after my glove was already upgraded to +15. :iiam:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Cityinthesea posted:

He follows through most of his combos even when you aren't remotely near him.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ashgromnies posted:

Sounds like DSFix broke when Dark Souls was patched before, so if things suddenly stop working in the future looking for an updated DSFix wouldn't be a bad idea.

Certain features broke, but there's a new DSFix out and I wouldn't hold your breath for another patch to the game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Lungs posted:

Just about to pop my Dark Souls cherry, woo!

Should I install Dark Souls fix and the mouse fix straight off the bat or see how I get on with the default settings for a while?
DSFix does not affect gameplay, except maybe the FPS unlocker (which I'd recommend against as it may get you GFWL banned). Aside from that it only makes the game go from ugly mush to absolutely gorgeous, especially if you get some texture improvement mods.

Mouse + keyboard fix are apparently only positive improvements but honestly this game was designed with consoles in mind AND it's also a third person adventure game so you really should get a controller.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

doctor 7 posted:

DSFix does not affect gameplay, except maybe the FPS unlocker (which I'd recommend against as it may get you GFWL banned). Aside from that it only makes the game go from ugly mush to absolutely gorgeous, especially if you get some texture improvement mods.

Honestly the game is unplayable for me without the FPS unlocker; if you're that worried about it you can just play the whole game undead.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Doing a sorc character. Should I stick with Estoc or put the points into Dex to run Ricard's Rapier?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Crackbone posted:

Doing a sorc character. Should I stick with Estoc or put the points into Dex to run Ricard's Rapier?

I've heard contradictory things about Ricard's Rapier. Some say that bonus damage is applied in full to each hit of the R2 attack, some say it's split evenly across them. I don't know which is true. If it's the former, then definitely switch over.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Crackbone posted:

Ricards is brutal with a weapon enchant.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
They aren't banning people for turning themselves into giant disembodied kneecaps and hitting you with swords that turn you into the Undead Burg, no way will they ban you for playing the game at 60 fps.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dark Souls - Install DSFix, Turn off Ingame AA, don't complain about M+KB Controls.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
The enchants apply to each hit of a Ricard's R2, but even with the insane damage it's not the most practical weapon, and you'll get more dps on an INT build out of Dark Bead anyways.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ok can someone give me a hint as to where the campfire is in sens fortress? I died once at the top getting punched by the guy who throws the bombs, and now I'm near him again and haven't seen one and It's a pain spawning way back at the undead parish.

Edit: Well... I just died falling to it so at least I know where it is.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

queeb posted:

Ok can someone give me a hint as to where the campfire is in sens fortress? I died once at the top getting punched by the guy who throws the bombs, and now I'm near him again and haven't seen one and It's a pain spawning way back at the undead parish.

You just missed it. After the first flight of stairs and on the second platform he throws bombs at, there is a break in the railing that drops down directly on top of it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I didn't know that I could turn the core of the Iron Golem into a Shoryukening dragon fist. This game truly is the best game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

queeb posted:

Edit: Well... I just died falling to it so at least I know where it is.

There's also :siren:an elevator in the form of two cages that can bring you all the way to the bottom, or from the bottom to the top:siren:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

They aren't banning people for turning themselves into giant disembodied kneecaps and hitting you with swords that turn you into the Undead Burg, no way will they ban you for playing the game at 60 fps.
If GFWL is anything like XBL (it is) you get banned weeks/months afterwards with no recourse.

Whether or not anyone has been banned from the game for doing the FPS unlock? I have no idea but I ran through Blightown on my PS3 at 5-10 FPS in some areas, so 30 FPS is a God send.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
So, is there some way where you can invite goons to play with you ?

This game is a pretty fun roguelike

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
Can you not kill the red dragon by widdling away at his tail at the start of the game anymore?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Pomale posted:

So I finally got my BSS after about 40 sweeps of the Parish. When I went to go upgrade it I noticed something terrible:

gently caress YOU ANDRE YOU DON'T NEED TWO OF THEM.

He's a piece of poo poo and I killed him the first chance I got which was the first time I got to him in the game and saw his stupid smug face.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Killing the dragon at range causes it to enter a state where it rapidly regenerates health faster than you can whittle it down. Well in most cases. If you're in NG I bet you can do some red tearstone ring combo to do it. If you wanna kill Hellkite Wyvern the conventional way you have to fight him on the bridge.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Can you not kill the red dragon by widdling away at his tail at the start of the game anymore?

Have the patched the game since yesterday? If no then no you still can kill it by attacking the tail.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Hal_2005 posted:

So, is there some way where you can invite goons to play with you ?

This game is a pretty fun roguelike

You have to communicate with them outside the game and coordinate for co-op. In what way is it a roguelike?

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

xanthan posted:

Have the patched the game since yesterday? If no then no you still can kill it by attacking the tail.

I did it on the console when the game first came out, but I read what ThePhenomenalBaby said on various forums, and I don't want to spend 2 hours poking at it if its not going to work.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

thehandtruck posted:

He's a piece of poo poo and I killed him the first chance I got which was the first time I got to him in the game and saw his stupid smug face.

You do know you're going to Hell when you die, right?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
There should be a white eye orb for invading someone to help them :buddy:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You have to communicate with them outside the game and coordinate for co-op. In what way is it a roguelike?

(It's not, people just say "Oh this is hard as gently caress, I guess it's a roguelike")

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If I join the Gravelord covenant, what happens to my Darkwraith stuff? I'm mostly talking about the red eye orb. Can I talk to Kaathe and join the Darkwraiths again in the same playthrough I leave them? As a Gravelord, do I only get souls/eyes of death when a player invades, or can I get them when they die in their own infected world?

Any ideas on these questions?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
When you leave a covenant by any means, your progress with that covenant, measured in terms of the items you've given to them, is reduced by half. Usually that will drop you a rank, sometimes it won't. Also items like the red orb cease to work when you're not in the covenant. They don't dissappear from your inventory so you can always rejoin and get them working. Except for the Forest Hunters, none of the covenants care if you abandon them, as long as you don't actually attack the relevant NPC. So you can leave and rejoin a covenant as often as you want.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Huh, looks like my latest exactly 50% get-up looks surprisingly co-ordinated despite being mishmash of 4 different sets.

What sorts of sets or kill suits do goons mostly recommend around here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Itchy Bear Dong posted:

There should be a white eye orb for invading someone to help them :buddy:

Or at the very least maybe no lower level limit for co-op summons. The game naturally gates off areas with challenge hurdles like bosses. I think just having made it to the area to drop your summon sign is enough to prove that you're viable help. Most players looking for a summon would have no objection to an slvl1 with a +15 pyro flame making GBS threads all over O&S.

• Locked thread