Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Xander77 posted:

You may know a lot of painters who would be content to paint what would amount to extended wallpapers in their private rooms. Or comedians that only want to make themselves laugh (granted, that one is actually a popular expression, but it should not be taken literally). Or film people who... I guess would make a film purely for the private screening amongst the film crew?

I don't. In my experience, you create because you have something to say. Whether that's something profound, or silly, political or "generically" entertaining. Not being a crazy person, when you speak, you speak to someone besides yourself. Creative work purely for the benefit of the creator is probably the one case where "intellectual masturbation" is an appropriate term.

You seem to see this as a black or white issue. I don't. Producers in my experience do what they do because they like to produce "stuff". I know of no painter (insert random creative here) that started their career by saying to themselves "drat I really need to show people my amazing portraits" rather than just learning to paint portraits.

Clearly this is an area where our circle of friends differ, all I'm saying is that my friends are amazing people and yours are piles of lovely fame-whores.

Seriously though, your main motivation for doing something shouldn't be the need for an audience, it should be the love for expression or creating or whatever else you feed on. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to show off stuff that you worked hard on and is proud of. It's probably a motivator in itself. But if it's the main reason you're doing something, then you probably should find something else to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Seriously I didn't became an artist just to have an audience. That's what Deviantart is for :v:I strive to become better. If people like my work, that's cool, if they don't oh well. Can't cater to everyone.Basically I agree with cknoor. If you can't really enjoy doing something for yourself and just want attention, then you clearly have some self esteem issues. Of course this is SA though.

And I disagree with the sentiment with it being "intellectual masturbatory or whatever the gently caress you just said. It is very possible to strive for something. I didn't draw for 20 years just to feel better about myself.

There is nothing negative wanting more "views". But you are in SA. You are luckily to have 300 views or hell even 100. I mean what is the goal for LPing? To make people appreciate the editing you did or have a discussion of the game itself? If you are expecting like a huge thread like DP, then pfft man you are bit crazy to think that. That's rare.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 28, 2012

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Shindragon posted:

There is nothing negative wanting more "views". But you are in SA. You are luckily to have 300 views or hell even 100.

SA may not be the best venue for just straight up huge view numbers, but the base here I think has a better per-capita ratio of funny posters. Take the Yogscast, for an example of the opposite. A lot of their videos get several million views, but if you go by the comments on the videos, a majority of the viewers seem to be borderline brain-dead (which shouldn't be seen as a critique of the Yogscast themselves). This leads me to my next point, I don't think the desire to have an audience should get boiled down to it being solely a popularity contest. When we did the advergame thread, I really enjoyed reading the replies because I felt it attracted a funny viewership base, so in a way, I think desiring an audience is a way for creativity to breed more creativity.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh well definitely a discussion more of the game is very much encouraged. Just less white noise poo poo. That is pretty annoying. I mean I enjoyed Zorak when he went into detail about things that were related to Snatcher. It was very enjoyable, also on Uncharted 2 as well if I rememeber correctly. Seeing posts like that is awesome.

Less on the you have such a great voice type white noise.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

slowbeef posted:

But when people compare a character from the game to K-On... well... I've personally never heard of K-On. But maybe...

I don't see how you've not heard of the greatest anime of all time.
Philistine.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

SSNeoman posted:

I'd also like to point out that too much of a good thing and all that; look at DarkId's or orenronen's LPs. People go totally nuts there.

Can I go on record saying I have hated most every super popular thread I have done because it has been a cesspool of poo poo posting and terrible to read? Orenronen has my sympathy. I loved Dangan Ronpa but that thread was a loving trainwreck.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 29, 2012

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

djw175 posted:

Just popping back in to give what I see. I'm currently screwing around with video editing to get it to work right. This is recorded straight off the emulator.
Two pages back, but if you don't mind using AviSynth there's a pseudo-library for it written by a goon that is designed specifically for DS games and automates transitions called MastiDS. It's what I used for my now-dead SF LP; I used it so that when I brought up the Custom Screen during battles, the main battle screen would be minimized while the Custom Screen would gain focus; after I picked Cards, the top screen would again be maximized. Someone wrote a tutorial for it here:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/?id=2182

Rea fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 29, 2012

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Namtab posted:

I don't see how you've not heard of the greatest anime of all time.
Philistine.
So why you got a Touhou avatar :colbert:?

...poo poo...

The Dark Id posted:

Can I go on record saying I have hated most every super popular thread I have done because it has been a cesspool of poo poo posting and terrible to read? Orenronen has my sympathy. I loved Dangan Ronpa but that thread was a loving trainwreck.
Your opinion doesn't count. You're special. You're sane.

Dwarsen
Jan 27, 2004
Dungeon Master

Simply Simon posted:

Oh, come on now.

Blogkb - because you too like video games, old and new (it's just a blog)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

Oh who are you kidding, you love this poo poo. :v:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Simply Simon posted:

...he said to the man who willingly played Drakengard 2.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

So why you got a Touhou avatar :colbert:?

...poo poo...

Touhou owns.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

...he said to the man who willingly played Drakengard 2.

Of all these games you choose the one which is just sort of bland an generic?
What is wrong with you?

EDIT: Actually nevermind this. I really don't want to start a stupid derail.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 29, 2012

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Deadlight Test Post

So to get away from this wonderful white noise going on, I wanted to see if there were any improvements I could make on this forthcoming LP. I've mostly been wanting to make sure to work out these odd verbal tics that I get stuck on and I think there's nothing too bad in the video, but I'm not for certain. Also wanting to make sure that I'm reaching a good median with being informative but not being detracting from focusing on the game. And I'm feeling that the best way to show off secrets and diary pages is just to show them off in screenshots as showing them off when they're obtained would be breaking up things too much, and that it wouldn't look good overlaid onto the video.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Introductory Test Post: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9724

I'll take any kind of feedback anybody has to offer, especially with regards to image size, quality, etc. I might put up another test post showing off some gameplay, like combat, but this post should at least show how I plan to handle the game's cutscenes and character dialogue.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Well Niggurath, I'm not really sure just how much stock you all will put into my comments now given my rather shaky introduction here, but, here's what I thought.

First of all, you weren't loud, annoying, and obnoxious like I reportedly was, and there weren't any stupid cornball jokes, which is always a turnoff to me. So that's really good. However, three issues I had with it.

1) I think your commentary is too sparse, and you don't say much that isn't stating the obvious. I mean, the background info you give on the real life references in this game is interesting, but other than that, it's relatively dull I think. I mean, the game is superbly interesting on it's own, but I'm thinking through more of the mindset of "what is it about your LP that makes it better than every other Deadlight LP?" I'm guessing that you're commentary is sparse because you want us to be drawn into the game itself, but you also have to keep in mind that I could always watch a silent playthrough for that.

2) Also, just kind of a pet peeve of mine, I don't know whether or not it's just me being weird or not, but I never liked it when the game audio would suddenly drop every time someone would talk. I've always found it incredibly jarring, and to me, is kind of the equivalent of interrupting a band in order to say something. I like hearing the game audio of whatever LP I watch, so having it suddenly drop is kind of iffy to me.

3) Now, this is just a nitpick here, but I feel like you really missed the opportunity for some good jokes, a prime example being when the main character states something like "My destination should be a straight shot from here"...right before dropping into a sewer, having to drain the water level of said sewer multiple times before making his way through it, taking a running leap across a 15-20 foot long gap, climbing over fences, jumping off all sorts of platforms and the like, climbing into buildings, and even running across a collapsing bridge.

Yeah..."a straight shot" my foot. Even if you didn't want to be over-excited or anything, I think you should've tossed in at least a few snide comments like "now, uh, let me just jump onto this CAR here, and uh, hop on up onto that ledge there, gotta find SOME way to get into that 3 story high window after all!". You know, something like that.

Is any of this helpful to you at all?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 30, 2012

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Snugglecakes posted:

I'll take any kind of feedback anybody has to offer, especially with regards to image size, quality, etc. I might put up another test post showing off some gameplay, like combat, but this post should at least show how I plan to handle the game's cutscenes and character dialogue.

I'll leave the gameplay details to others since I am not so familiar with the game, but there is one technical detail that I wanted to mention. Your images are in the wrong aspect ratio. They are 16:10 (640x400px) but they should be 4:3 (640x480px).

I assume this game normally plays in 320x200 and you just doubled the images to make them bigger. Unfortunately this results in wrong aspect ratio because 320x200 resoultion (and its derivatives such as 640x400) are intended to be shown with rectangular pixels (1:1.2) on the CRT screens of the time when this game was made so that the resulting picture ends up being 4:3 when stretched vertically to its final aspect ratio.

Probably the best way of doing this is in two steps: 1) capture images into PNG and resize 320x200->640x400 nearest neighbor (no blur) and then 2) another resize from 640x400 to 640x480 with resampling (this will introduce a very minor amount of blur, but it cannot be avoided). After this you can convert into JPG if necessary to reduce file size (and this game looks like it would need JPG).

Here are a couple of examples of aspect ratio difference:

Original:

4:3 version:

Original:

4:3 version:

If you look at this I think it's pretty obvious that the game is intended to be seen in 4:3 as the original captures look vertically squished (look at the circular buttons on the first one for example).

Also if you are doing JPGs you should check the quality because even on your originals there is a lot of artifacting around text.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Fionordequester posted:

Well Niggurath, I'm not really sure just how much stock you all will put into my comments now given my rather shaky introduction here, but, here's what I thought.

First of all, you weren't loud, annoying, and obnoxious like I reportedly was, and there weren't any stupid cornball jokes, which is always a turnoff to me. So that's really good. However, three issues I had with it.

1) I think your commentary is too sparse, and you don't say much that isn't stating the obvious. I mean, the background info you give on the real life references in this game is interesting, but other than that, it's relatively dull I think. I mean, the game is superbly interesting on it's own, but I'm thinking through more of the mindset of "what is it about your LP that makes it better than every other Deadlight LP?" I'm guessing that you're commentary is sparse because you want us to be drawn into the game itself, but you also have to keep in mind that I could always watch a silent playthrough for that.

2) Also, just kind of a pet peeve of mine, I don't know whether or not it's just me being weird or not, but I never liked it when the game audio would suddenly drop every time someone would talk. I've always found it incredibly jarring, and to me, is kind of the equivalent of interrupting a band in order to say something. I like hearing the game audio of whatever LP I watch, so having it suddenly drop is kind of iffy to me.

3) Now, this is just a nitpick here, but I feel like you really missed the opportunity for some good jokes, a prime example being when the main character states something like "My destination should be a straight shot from here"...right before dropping into a sewer, having to drain the water level of said sewer multiple times before making his way through it, taking a running leap across a 15-20 foot long gap, climbing over fences, jumping off all sorts of platforms and the like, climbing into buildings, and even running across a collapsing bridge.

Yeah..."a straight shot" my foot. Even if you didn't want to be over-excited or anything, I think you should've tossed in at least a few snide comments like "now, uh, let me just jump onto this CAR here, and uh, hop on up onto that ledge there, gotta find SOME way to get into that 3 story high window after all!". You know, something like that.

Is any of this helpful to you at all?
That is semi helpful, but some of those things are just the natural way I talk. I try to not be overly snide or aggressively insulting to the game; it has plenty of bad points but I don't want to be pointing out those faults, cause then why would I be playing it? And I wanted to be sparse for the reason you stated, but also to keep from stating overly obvious things (which I still manage to do either way). Game play wise there isn't much to the game and as such there isn't much to expound on there, and I've learned to not feel the need to needlessly fill dead air. Maybe if I was playing something where I cared less about the atmosphere, but I just wanted to keep that going.

Really though, what I hope people can gain from this, as opposed to just watching a play through of the game is that I can add bits in here and there. Like talking about the serial killers, or pointing out things in the background that could be missed.

And in regards to your second point, I can understand it might go one way or another with the autoducking for the game audio. I just like it better than having to overwhelm the audio with my commentary volume or turning down the game audio to where it's harder to hear. I've gotten the relative idea that it seems the best way to gain a middle ground.

Finally I tried to sneak in foreshadowing to things (such as when it was presented as a 'straight shot' I made a comment that it was probably going to be a fairly simple journey then); it works better in my mind then just be snide.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

quote:

That is semi helpful, but some of those things are just the natural way I talk.

Well, see, now that's kind of tough, and I can completely sympathize with that. Because see, some of the "loud and annoying" stuff that people complained about in the Episode I presented was, believe it or not, the way I naturally talk as well. I mean, I can dial it back a little bit (for example, I can not say "Hello everyone, and WELCOME to LET'S PLAY...FINAL...FANTASY...SEVENNNNNN!), but, I do tend to be very loud when I talk.

I mean, it's to the point where sometimes I'll talk, and people will angrily hiss "you're being too loud" or something along those lines when I'm inside a Church, or when it's late at night or something. I don't even intend to do it, but, I guess my voice is just naturally that loud :\...

Anyways though, I think when you're Let's Playing, you kind of have to think of the situation as though you're giving a speech. When people watch a Let's Play, they're setting aside 10-20 minutes of their time to listen to someone speak, and even though they're also watching a video game at the same time, it's still kind of a "Public Speaking" setting, you know? Granted, you get to be a lot more informal, but I think a lot of those aspects still stand.

So I do think your way of talking should be at least somewhat different from your regular way of talking.

quote:

I try to not be overly snide or aggressively insulting to the game; it has plenty of bad points but I don't want to be pointing out those faults, cause then why would I be playing it?

Well, see, you can still pick the game apart while still loving it at the same time. I mean heck, me and my friend do it all the time while watching, say, Dragon Ball Z Kai. Cell will be saying something like...

"You promised to show me a true fight, but all this has been nothing but shouting and flexing of muscle..."

...and then I'll lean over to my friend, and say...

"Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell!"

And we'll burst into laughter just like that. That doesn't mean we hate Dragon Ball Z Kai, in fact, it's one of our favorite shows ever, but we can still recognize it's more silly aspects without letting it detract from the experience.

I mean, yeah, there's a fine line there, but, I think as long as the delivery of your criticism isn't overly heavy or negative, it shouldn't be a problem.

quote:

And I wanted to be sparse for the reason you stated, but also to keep from stating overly obvious things (which I still manage to do either way). Game play wise there isn't much to the game and as such there isn't much to expound on there, and I've learned to not feel the need to needlessly fill dead air.

Hmm...well, that's up to you I suppose, although, personally, I don't like long stretches of silence. But I guess that's just my Asburger's/OCD talking.

quote:

Maybe if I was playing something where I cared less about the atmosphere, but I just wanted to keep that going.

Yeah, fair enough I guess.

quote:

And in regards to your second point, I can understand it might go one way or another with the autoducking for the game audio. I just like it better than having to overwhelm the audio with my commentary volume or turning down the game audio to where it's harder to hear. I've gotten the relative idea that it seems the best way to gain a middle ground.

Personally, that's the way I've always preferred, as I find that I can usually hear the game audio just fine anyways when I've listened to LPers who do that.

quote:

Finally I tried to sneak in foreshadowing to things (such as when it was presented as a 'straight shot' I made a comment that it was probably going to be a fairly simple journey then); it works better in my mind then just be snide.

Hmm...personally, that didn't even cross my mind as "foreshadowing", but, to each his own I suppose. Anyways though, good job mate!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 30, 2012

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

ivantod posted:

helpful feedback

Thank you! Your example showed how Gorath looked a bit "squished", especially in the difference between the two screenshots.

I'm doing the screen capture on InfanView and the default capture was the 640x400 and jpg. (my mistake!) I switched it up to png and 640x480 as the capture, and while the quality looks better now, it still leaves a hunk of black empty space in my screenshots and a character that still looks a bit off:

I edited it a little bit to 'stretch' Gorath out a bit, and then just cropped away the black space.

Is this better? I'm afraid that I'm not great with the technical side of LPs.

Snugglecakes fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 30, 2012

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Tales of Frogs: Let's Play Keroro RPG!

Keroro RPG: The Knight, the Warrior, and the Legendary Pirate is a Nintendo DS spin-off Tales game based on a popular manga/anime series in Japan, Keroro Gunsou/Sergeant Keroro. It uses the Linear Motion Battle System (LMBS) and was the last Keroro game released in March 2010. Despite the insane popularity of both Tales games and Keroro in Japan, this crossover only sold about 25,000 copies.

The game's pretty enjoyable if you like Keroro, and it's short compared to other Tales games. It's actually the only Tales game I've played all the way to the end so far. :shobon: It has other merits besides marketable anime characters, which I'll show off as they appear.

The main portion of the LP will be in screenshot format, with videos for stuff like boss fights, voiced events, and victory skits. Watching them is entirely optional. Since this was only released in Japan, I'm translating and subbing as needed.

I'll ask for no story or content spoilers including spoiler tags, though I'm pretty sure this game is obscure enough for me not to worry. Just in case.

There are Tales references all over this game, so feel free to point out any I miss.

Updates

Part 1: Permanent Frog Status

I wanna make sure my screenshots/facepics are all at a decent enough size, and that the subs on the videos are all nice and readable. And that my comments aren't super boring.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Snugglecakes posted:

Thank you! Your example showed how Gorath looked a bit "squished", especially in the difference between the two screenshots.

I'm doing the screen capture on InfanView and the default capture was the 640x400 and jpg. (my mistake!) I switched it up to png and 640x480 as the capture, and while the quality looks better now, it still leaves a hunk of black empty space in my screenshots and a character that still looks a bit off:

I edited it a little bit to 'stretch' Gorath out a bit, and then just cropped away the black space.

Is this better? I'm afraid that I'm not great with the technical side of LPs.

You can capture PNG as 640x400, then just resize in two steps in Irfan view first 2x with resample turned off and then from there to a fixed size 640x480 with resampling and that should be faster than having to fiddle with that extra black space.

The quality of the image you posted now looks better to me, I don't see artifacting around text so much any more.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

How Ingratiating! posted:

Tales of Frogs: Let's Play Keroro RPG!

Keroro RPG: The Knight, the Warrior, and the Legendary Pirate is a Nintendo DS spin-off Tales game based on a popular manga/anime series in Japan, Keroro Gunsou/Sergeant Keroro. It uses the Linear Motion Battle System (LMBS) and was the last Keroro game released in March 2010. Despite the insane popularity of both Tales games and Keroro in Japan, this crossover only sold about 25,000 copies.

The game's pretty enjoyable if you like Keroro, and it's short compared to other Tales games. It's actually the only Tales game I've played all the way to the end so far. :shobon: It has other merits besides marketable anime characters, which I'll show off as they appear.

The main portion of the LP will be in screenshot format, with videos for stuff like boss fights, voiced events, and victory skits. Watching them is entirely optional. Since this was only released in Japan, I'm translating and subbing as needed.

I'll ask for no story or content spoilers including spoiler tags, though I'm pretty sure this game is obscure enough for me not to worry. Just in case.

There are Tales references all over this game, so feel free to point out any I miss.

Updates

Part 1: Permanent Frog Status

I wanna make sure my screenshots/facepics are all at a decent enough size, and that the subs on the videos are all nice and readable. And that my comments aren't super boring.

I'm not so sure about the DS images because I might just have a big screen, but the faceshot images seem too small to me.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

This seems fine. You could probably use some practice on the serious tone, since you are much better when you are casual, but this could be that practice. Also, I don't know if I would give this game a serious tone because this game doesn't appear to deserve it since it looks like a shamelessly derivative piece of crap. But then again, I think The Walking Dead looks atrocious, so maybe I am just discriminatory against zombie games.

Anyway, I'd say go for it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Snugglecakes posted:

Are you playing this on DOSBox? Would enabling the aspect correction option help?

The conversation portraits seem too big, I'd resize them to around 80% of current size.

If you can make gifs, do it. A several-frame gif would be far better than explaining what we don't get in the chapter intro.

I'd love the character biographies (especially how they tie into the other Krondor books - you can extend this to all references since there are pretty important ones even in the details) posted, but I assume you're saving it for the first no-action update :)

Also, cannon -> canon :argh:

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

djw175 posted:

I'm not so sure about the DS images because I might just have a big screen, but the faceshot images seem too small to me.

They're 64x64 and actually pretty big.

How Ingratiating!: Screenshot sizes look good to me and the subtitling in the video isn't bad. I'd say you're good to go in those departments.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Cybershell posted:

Is there any interest in an LP review series?

So, this is a bit late, but I just noticed I couldn't find that super old video you did about how to post an LP. Is that around anywhere?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, this is a bit late, but I just noticed I couldn't find that super old video you did about how to post an LP. Is that around anywhere?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5dqrs_how-to-make-a-let-s-play-thread_videogames#.UN_YRlGckmA

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I also demand Cooking With Cybershell it is going to be the basis for an LP I will do in the future.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Mico posted:

I also demand Cooking With Cybershell it is going to be the basis for an LP I will do in the future.

I'm still waiting very very hard for this LP, by the way :colbert:

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Are you playing this on DOSBox? Would enabling the aspect correction option help?

Yes, I'm playing the GOG version which pops up DOSbox, I'll look into that.

Pierzak posted:

The conversation portraits seem too big, I'd resize them to around 80% of current size.

I went back and re-did them to get a better shot, but what I have is big. (100x100). What size would work the best?

"Hey baby."

"Do you like my mustache?"

"Is getting it cold in here?"

Pierzak posted:

If you can make gifs, do it. A several-frame gif would be far better than explaining what we don't get in the chapter intro.

Quality suffers quite a bit in the translation from a screenshot to a Gif, but I drew up two quickly, one of the introductory cutscene, and then the other from a combat scene.

I'm not happy with them though, so unless I can figure out a better/easier way to do the Gifs I might just stick with screenshots.

Pierzak posted:

I'd love the character biographies (especially how they tie into the other Krondor books - you can extend this to all references since there are pretty important ones even in the details) posted, but I assume you're saving it for the first no-action update :)

Yes - I plan to put in lore updates, drawing on the game manual as a primary source but I'll also (try) to include information from how the characters are portrayed in the books as well, so expect to see some more information about our good friend Locklear.

"My 'stache quivers in anticipation."

Pierzak posted:

Also, cannon -> canon :argh:

:( How embarrassing. That'll be fixed in the actual thread.

Snugglecakes fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 30, 2012

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Suspicious Dish posted:

Nooo, now everyone knows I just always recycle The Sims music for every video I make. Funny you should ask, someone just PMed me asking where that dumb bioshock thread hijack video I made was and it's on my old dailymotion account shitparticles which has classics like that time I filmed slowbeef having a meltdown.

Fun fact, the account is named "poo poo Particles" after a line from the greatest Mario fanfiction ever written. This is technically the first VLP I ever made, and I'd love to remake it starring someone with a much less irritating voice. If you happen to be Research Indicates or have a silky smooth voice send me a PM with yourself reading a sample of this and maybe we can collaborate on a SMW LP which reads the whole fanfiction, because believe me this poo poo goes on waaaaay longer than you'd hope.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

judge reinhold posted:

SA may not be the best venue for just straight up huge view numbers, but the base here I think has a better per-capita ratio of funny posters. Take the Yogscast, for an example of the opposite. A lot of their videos get several million views, but if you go by the comments on the videos, a majority of the viewers seem to be borderline brain-dead (which shouldn't be seen as a critique of the Yogscast themselves). This leads me to my next point, I don't think the desire to have an audience should get boiled down to it being solely a popularity contest. When we did the advergame thread, I really enjoyed reading the replies because I felt it attracted a funny viewership base, so in a way, I think desiring an audience is a way for creativity to breed more creativity.

As a person trying to create a quality LP (after my first attempt got shouted down to the point I scrapped it and am starting over.) I agree that I'd much rather know there are 20 people who can post funny poo poo and say funny jokes then 200,000 who are just a number of white noise posters. Maybe that's just me. I also want to educate.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Test Post of a Cool LP for cool people. No dorkwads allowed!

(Secretly it is a test post for The Manhole, a weird, weird old game that I'm going to tinker with a bit. Dorkwards are outright ENCOURAGED. Also does it look ok?)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Snugglecakes posted:

Yes, I'm playing the GOG version which pops up DOSbox, I'll look into that.
You might want to grab the game from that and install a better frontend, I use DFend and it has way better configuration options than the GOG one.

quote:

I went back and re-did them to get a better shot, but what I have is big. (100x100). What size would work the best?

"Hey baby."

"Do you like my mustache?"

"Is getting it cold in here?"
One of the smaller ones, probably the middle one because if you go tiny it'll soon become hard to read.

quote:

Quality suffers quite a bit in the translation from a screenshot to a Gif, but I drew up two quickly, one of the introductory cutscene, and then the other from a combat scene.

I'm not happy with them though, so unless I can figure out a better/easier way to do the Gifs I might just stick with screenshots.
The killing one is very good, I'd make it a bit faster. They're supposed to show the motion, not text or whatever. As for battles, I'd just make one at the start and then a few in the whole game, just to show when there's a different flow (traps maybe?) or something. Those are not really needed. I meant it more for the nifty bits like the cutscenes/chapter titles, since you were complaining about the lack of animation ;)

quote:

Yes - I plan to put in lore updates, drawing on the game manual as a primary source but I'll also (try) to include information from how the characters are portrayed in the books as well, so expect to see some more information about our good friend Locklear.
Awesome. Have you read the whole series?

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Bacter posted:

Also does it look ok?)

Make sure to leave a vertical space between the screenshots and the :words:. There's not enough content to critique, beyond that.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Alright: I was wanting to make sure the screenshots were the right size, but if you'd like to see a whole sample first update I can surely post one of those!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Hey Kids! Drugs are fun! Let's Play the Galerian series

What the hell is this?
Galerians as a series is a bit weird. Originally classified as a survival horror, it's hard to really say yes this fits said genre. The Resident Evil style tank controls probably didn't help it's original classification. I guess you can classify it as a survival horror because there's a way to dick yourself over in the game. Considering the tech they use in this game you could probably go and say it's a cyber-punk style. The game was made by Polygon Magic. Haven't heard of them? Well no surprise because Galerians and Galerians: Ash are really their only original game. They apparently do social gaming and gambling games mostly.

The Story
Oh god this is quite the mess of a story, Galerians is very much a dystopian place. We follow the main character Rion, in attempts to regain his lost memory. Waking up in a strange room with no memory and strange powers. And that's about where the plot stops making sense. Everything else spirals into a void of nonsense and psychic abilities and strange happenings. I'd say more, but I feel like it would ruin what great writing the developers had.

The Videos
Galerians Part 1

So any critiques and the likes of that?

Zain fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 31, 2012

wwweh
Apr 3, 2012
Hello and let's play a test post of Metal Slug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ePF-xTYDM

Everyone older that 15 know what Metal Slug is so I'll save you a copy paste from wikipedia. Critiques on sound and content on this are super appreciated. Am I too irish for americans? Am I too unconfident a speaker that you don't know what I'm babbling about. Did I mess up the audio too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Bacter posted:

Test Post of a Cool LP for cool people. No dorkwads allowed!

(Secretly it is a test post for The Manhole, a weird, weird old game that I'm going to tinker with a bit. Dorkwards are outright ENCOURAGED. Also does it look ok?)

The screenshots are a fine size and quality (well, they're ugly, but that's just the game), but I think I see a little window border on the right side of the bottom one. You should probably find out if your screenshot software has an option to capture just the contents of a window. If you're using DOSBox you can use its built-in screen capture with control-F5.

Such an enigmatic OP will work better when followed up with an actual update. I'm actually looking forward to this LP; I spent many hours in front of the Mac CD-ROM version as a kid trying to beat it. I was convinced the phone was the key to everything.

• Locked thread