Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

SnipeShow posted:

So I just bought this. I have Mario and Nintendoland. Is there a general consensus as to the best games on this system? Scribblenauts looks like a lot of fun.

(I know there are individual game threads. I'm really just looking for general opinions on the available titles.)

As far as eShop titles go, Little Inferno, Nano Assault Neo, and Trine 2 are getting good reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

That was a 1-900 number and you probably cost your parents many :10bux:. :laugh:

There was a 1900 number with a live person, and a non 1-900 (but long distance for most) with a pretty extensive automated tip system for a lot of recent titles. I remember calling that one up and figuring out how to cross some gap in one of the later dungeons in links awakening.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

SnipeShow posted:

So I just bought this. I have Mario and Nintendoland. Is there a general consensus as to the best games on this system? Scribblenauts looks like a lot of fun.

(I know there are individual game threads. I'm really just looking for general opinions on the available titles.)

ZombiU is good, but really brutal. It got polarized reviews because its definitely not a game for babies everyone. Its terrifying, stressful, but one hell of a trip.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nano assault neo is really really fun and pretty. It is also hard as hell towards the end.

Once you finish it though, there's not much to do unless you're a score freak.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 30, 2012

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
I didn't think it would be a big deal until I tried Darksiders II for the Wii U, but the controller button layout is really throwing me off. For some games it's okay (Beat ZombiU without noticing), but swapping the second control stick and the right hand buttons is just loving me up after owning a 360 for so long. The pro controller is even worse, because it feels like a 360 controller in every way except that one.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

AxeManiac posted:

Scribblenauts owns, but has been on sale for like 7 bucks or something silly for PC lately. I can't see spending $60 for it. I'd jump on more of the launch titles, but most of them are like $20-30 bucks on PC or other consoles.

If you are looking for unique WiiU, Zombiiu is cool.

Scribblenauts is an absolutely great game at $7, but a very lacking and repetitive game at $60.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why even sell it on PC if they can only charge $7?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^^^ PC is an open platform and you have to meet sale prices of competitors and such. The full price on PC is 30 dollars either way.

I'd honestly tell anyone on the fence about this to just wait, especially if they own a gaming PC or other HD consoles.

The new mario and nintendo land don't excite you? Wait until monster hunter and pikmin, because those are currently the only major exclusives of note. Don't like those either? Keep waiting.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

God drat ZombiU. I saved it several days so I'd feel in the mood for a more intense game and play it in the evening.

I now regret that decision. I thought it'd be a bit tricky with good atmosphere, but drat, it's brutal and I find it pretty drat terrifying walking around some part of London and just hearing zombies off in the distance, not knowing if those blips are dead or undead and then seeing one making its way to you startlingly fast only to find out it's a raven overhead.

Christ, just going through a supermarket was an ordeal. I'm loving it though, can see why some reviews weren't too fond of the combat, but I like it personally, it's basic and savage and makes sense, since your average Joe isn't gonna turn into some half-ninja during the apocalypse and throw out mad combos.

I also love the gamepad interface with it, actually looking down adds that extra tension since for obvious reasons you have no idea what's going on around you, so all the cautionary glances or just ignoring and hoping for the best, going off audio cues etc.

Definitely what I wanted. I thought the whole zombie thing was played out, but this actually makes them threatening again and has a whole survival game to go along with it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

AxeManiac posted:

Scribblenauts owns, but has been on sale for like 7 bucks or something silly for PC lately. I can't see spending $60 for it. I'd jump on more of the launch titles, but most of them are like $20-30 bucks on PC or other consoles.

If you are looking for unique WiiU, Zombiiu is cool.

How loving stupid is Warner? Nobody is going to touch it on Wii-U if it's $7 on PC. I want to get the game but just the knowledge it's $7 somewhere else means I won't touch it until I can get it for $20. And yeah, I'll pay $20 on Wii-U because I'm fine with paying a premium to use Nintendo ingenuity. Just not $60.

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug
This may be a colossal long shot, but is anybody using a 2010-2011 27 inch iMac as their Wii U display using one of those Belkin AV360 HMDI -> MiniDisplay adapters? I have one and it works about 80% of the time with my PS3 but I don't own a TV so if I can't use my iMac screen I'll probably give the Wii U a miss for now.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

How loving stupid is Warner? Nobody is going to touch it on Wii-U if it's $7 on PC. I want to get the game but just the knowledge it's $7 somewhere else means I won't touch it until I can get it for $20. And yeah, I'll pay $20 on Wii-U because I'm fine with paying a premium to use Nintendo ingenuity. Just not $60.

Well, console games are more expensive to make, submission and standards and working with new hardware and all that.

I would have got it at 39 on Wii, or 29 even. It's a great game. I have it on PC and I'm waiting for a decent price to play it on the WiiU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

AxeManiac posted:

Well, console games are more expensive to make, submission and standards and working with new hardware and all that.

I would have got it at 39 on Wii, or 29 even. It's a great game. I have it on PC and I'm waiting for a decent price to play it on the WiiU

It's actually $50 on WiiU, not $60.

I got it, I beat it, it wasn't bad, but I do feel that I was overcharged for it. The PC price of $30 feels about right. I don't, like, REGRET my purchase, but passing on it for price is not an unreasonable thing to do.

Especially since all the WiiU launch stuff should be heavily discounted in about 6 months or so.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

SnipeShow posted:

Obligatory shout out for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Very challenging in a fun way, and it's only $40. The only downside (besides some occasional glitches, which have mostly been patched) is the poor documentation; despite the box and manuals, it supports, AFAIK, all Wii and Wii U controllers, and has off-screen play by swiping down on the touch screen.

eShop has a demo, dunno how extensive it is, but I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Obligatory shout out for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Very challenging in a fun way, and it's only $40. The only downside (besides some occasional glitches, which have mostly been patched) is the poor documentation; despite the box and manuals, it supports, AFAIK, all Wii and Wii U controllers, and has off-screen play by swiping down on the touch screen.

eShop has a demo, dunno how extensive it is, but I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

I got the demo, then noticed they are selling for for $40, so I might pick it up just to reward them for awesome prices.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

Mennonites Revenge posted:

I'm shocked at how fun that game is, it's a great balance between a "serious" arcade racing game and Mario Kart. Besides the grand prix, there's a huge one player mode with all these missions. Some of them are normal "Come in 1st place in a race" but most are more unique time trials (get through rings, win by drifting, blow up a tank...). It gets really hard, too and has a ton to unlock.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Anyone clamouring for a new F-Zero should really give Sonic Racing Transformed a shot; the comparison may not seem immediately obvious, but the way AI works and the skill required to do well all struck me as very F-Zero-esque. It's the best kart racer I've played in a long while, perhaps ever.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Bobnumerotres posted:

^^^ PC is an open platform and you have to meet sale prices of competitors and such. The full price on PC is 30 dollars either way.

I'd honestly tell anyone on the fence about this to just wait, especially if they own a gaming PC or other HD consoles.

The new mario and nintendo land don't excite you? Wait until monster hunter and pikmin, because those are currently the only major exclusives of note. Don't like those either? Keep waiting.

This is the boat that I am in. I know eventually there will be a proper new 3d Mario game and a pair of Platinum Games exclusives. So, okay, I'll need one of these eventually.

My hope is that by the time Bayonetta/Next Mario Game are released, you'll be able to get a Wii U, NSMB and Zombi for cheaper on Amazon or EBay. I'm not expecting a 3ds repeat, but if I can save a few bucks by waiting for games I actually care about, might as well.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TheThirst posted:

I'm shocked at how fun that game is, it's a great balance between a "serious" arcade racing game and Mario Kart. Besides the grand prix, there's a huge one player mode with all these missions. Some of them are normal "Come in 1st place in a race" but most are more unique time trials (get through rings, win by drifting, blow up a tank...). It gets really hard, too and has a ton to unlock.

The traffic attacks on harder difficulties will literally kill you though. Navigate through moving obstacles (hell, some of the cars even hunt you down. They're out for blood!) with car-wide spaces in between them, on a twisting and turning track, with an time limit set as such that you will not make it unless you use lots and lots of drift-boosts? Don't mind if I do.

What I'm saying is all of the challenges aren't quite as well thought out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

absolutely anything posted:

It's a great series and if you play through Pikmin 1 and think it's too easy take solace in the fact that they made Pikmin 2 goddamn crazy hard to make up for it.

2 is really only hard if you're going for the "don't let any Pikmin die" in the caves thing and it'll cause you to bald. My biggest peeve with 2 is that more than half the game is spend underground in the caves which are all too similar to each other.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Bit.trip Runner 2 is coming to the Wii U eshop, I love the bit.trip games and runner is my favorite so I'm pretty happy to see this.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Why get it for free on ubiquitous smart phones when you can pay 30 dollars to play it on a DS?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much any game is going to be more expensive on Wii U over PC. On PC, Batman is $15, AC3 is $38, Mass Effect 3 is $20, etc. If you have a gaming PC, Wii U (and other consoles) is for exclusives and first party titles only pretty much.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Why get it for free on ubiquitous smart phones when you can pay 30 dollars to play it on a DS?
Some people can't afford a smart phone?

(Also that's still a huge rip off regardless.)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's on sale, it was originally released on 3DS at $39.99.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

greatn posted:

Why even sell it on PC if they can only charge $7?

Because they'll make money?

Charging a higher price isn't some foolproof way to increase revenue, you know.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

gobbledygoat posted:

Bit.trip Runner 2 is coming to the Wii U eshop, I love the bit.trip games and runner is my favorite so I'm pretty happy to see this.

What happened to Bit.Trip's unique visual style? Those screenshots look terrible...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neo Rasa posted:

It's on sale, it was originally released on 3DS at $39.99.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the 3DS version was always $30. The 360/PS3 versions are $40. It's not a "lol Nintendo" thing, it's a "lol angry bird" thing.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

IN THREE-DEEEEEEEEEE

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Random Stranger posted:

What happened to Bit.Trip's unique visual style? Those screenshots look terrible...

This isn't bit.trip.runner2; this is bit.trip Presents Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wait until monster hunter and pikmin, because those are currently the only major exclusives of note.
You forgot the best one: The Wonderful 101.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Joramun posted:

You forgot the best one: The Wonderful 101.

I wish there was more solid information on the release date for this game. In NoE territories they have just said it will be some time after the USA release and there is no USA release date yet. :(

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
I gotta say watching football with Tvii is loads of fun.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics
Got a Wii U for Christmas, trying to transfer my Wii info over. I've tried a few SD cards on my Wii and when I check the SD card menu it says "Nothing is inserted in the SD Card Slot." Am I doing something wrong or do I need to send my Wii in for repairs just so I can start using another console?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Saturniid19 posted:

Got a Wii U for Christmas, trying to transfer my Wii info over. I've tried a few SD cards on my Wii and when I check the SD card menu it says "Nothing is inserted in the SD Card Slot." Am I doing something wrong or do I need to send my Wii in for repairs just so I can start using another console?

Are you using sdhc cards on a wii that hasnt been updated in a very long time (what version does the system menu say you're on)?

edit: actually this probably isn't the problem if you've managed to get to the online shop and download the transfer app. Try doing a reformat of the sd card on your pc. Have you every had problems with the sd card slot before?

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 31, 2012

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

Robolizard! posted:

Have you every had problems with the sd card slot before?

Never used it before, so it could have been broken right out of the box in 2007. I downloaded the Wii transfer app with no problems, Ver. 4.3U, and this may come as a shock, but I don't know what

Robolizard! posted:

Try doing a reformat of the sd card on your pc.

means. We've only ever used the cards for storing photos.

Can I play a new Wii game on the Wii U and have the save data still be there when (if) I eventually transfer my old data over? Or does it erase and replace?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zombi U is on sale for $15 off at Target, so if you're interested that's a good price.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saturniid19 posted:

Can I play a new Wii game on the Wii U and have the save data still be there when (if) I eventually transfer my old data over? Or does it erase and replace?

It will erase and replace it if there is save data of the same game in the Wii transfer data. If its something new that wasn't played on the Wii, it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012
Yeesh, that COD post. Women and children, am I right guys? I really can't stress enough that we, as players of shooting games, are neither. :dukedog:

I'm really enjoying the Wii U despite the big problems with its OS. I think I may just be relieved that Nintendo has hit on a gimmick that I don't completely hate with its controller-embedded touchscreen. It's a bit weird how often the Wii U directs your attention away from the TV, but it's infinitely less stupid than putting a cursor into a 3D Mario game.

So far, NSMB U, Nano Assault Neo, and Little Inferno are all completely playable using only the gamepad's screen. I never expected Nintendo to completely blow the PS3's mostly-neglected remote play feature out of the water like that.

I'm really impressed by the resources they must be putting into moderation for the Miiverse. They've managed to keep it remarkably polite and friendly for a public forum on a game console. It's also pleasantly international. As a language nerd, it's cool seeing posts in Japanese, Spanish, French and, more rarely, Portuguese and German all mixed together.

Their online stores are still pretty terrible, but I like that they're finally doing digital distribution for their big first and third party titles. They might even one day get it up to the standards of every single other online distribution platform out there.

Zombie U looks really promising, but my brother ran into a game-breaking bug almost immediately. I think I'm going to wait for a patch before seriously trying to play it.

• Locked thread